• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

panda21

damn this has sucked me right back in :D

finishing 3-1 was so satisfying. i love that feeling of knowing you are really deep in with a ton of souls and trying to balance making it back out alive whilst wanting to keep exploring. feels so good when you pull it off.

being a magic user some of it does almost feel a bit easy or cheap - i cant imagine how much harder it must be using purely melee where you have to get up close to hurt them.

hydrophilic attack said:
While on the subject of 5-2, do I lose souls if I lose to the black phantom in the swamp? If I kill him, will he be gone forever or will he respawn like the ordinary enemies?

yeah i also dont get this, i could swear i read something about black phantoms doing something nasty taking away your souls or stat levels or something. luckily the only one i met so far was kind of weak. what exactly happens when you lose to a black phantom?

soldat7

Yes Boss! said:
Beat the first boss yesterday! Took me about five hours as was learning how the game worked. Game is really cool!

Each boss is like a new puzzle to solve. Like a puzzle that kills you and sends you back to the beginning of the level. :lol

LiK

panda21 said:
yeah i also dont get this, i could swear i read something about black phantoms doing something nasty taking away your souls or stat levels or something. luckily the only one i met so far was kind of weak. what exactly happens when you lose to a black phantom?

NPC Human BP? same as any other enemy. the only difference is if you kill them, they stay dead.

Yes Boss!

oracrest said:
Congrats on beating Tower Knight.

I can't tell if he was one of the harder bosses in the whole game, or if defeating him gave me enough of a handle on the combat to beat most of the rest with greater ease.

Either way, his fight was a stand out pain in my ass.
Oh no, I beat the big sludgy think with spikey spears. Looks like that is only the mid-boss.

Lik,

Yep, first time playing this game. I bought it about a year ago and just now am starting it. Game is creepy as hell...I turn on the lights, no joke.

I played 130 hours on Oblivion (last PS360 RPG I played to completion) so I'm gonna go the distance on this one and make a true effort to beat it!

LiK

Yes Boss! said:
Oh no, I beat the big sludgy think with spikey spears. Looks like that is only the mid-boss.

Lik,

Yep, first time playing this game. I bought it about a year ago and just now am starting it. Game is creepy as hell...I turn on the lights, no joke.

I played 130 hours on Oblivion (last PS360 RPG I played to completion) so I'm gonna go the distance on this one and make a true effort to beat it!

nice dude, glad to see you playing through it. it should be a good challenge for you since you're into hard as hell shmups. it's all about twitch reactions during battles. you're gonna love it. :D

btw, you beat Phalanx, the 1-1 boss.

panda21

LiK said:
NPC Human BP? same as any other enemy. the only difference is if you kill them, they stay dead.

oh well thats not so scary.

although it sounds like you are implying there are non-human BPs that can do worse D:

can't wait to try 4-1 tomorrow, those skeletons are quite challenging for a magic user since they get up close so fast.

LiK

panda21 said:
oh well thats not so scary.

although it sounds like you are implying there are non-human BPs that can do worse D:

can't wait to try 4-1 tomorrow, those skeletons are quite challenging for a magic user since they get up close so fast.

oh, in Pure Black Tendency, you get BP versions of enemies that are uber hard to kill. there are also BP versions of the NPCs in PBT that are also quite a challenge. and of course, if you're in body form, you get those annoying human BP invaders.

Canova

Banned
panda21 said:

it's just like killed by any other enemy, no different.

I just want to add that all of 5-3, the music, Astraea, and that fucking swamp, is one of the most horrifying things in all of videogames.

Easy as hell to beat, though.

Inflammable Slinky said:
I just want to add that all of 5-3, the music, Astraea, and that fucking swamp, is one of the most horrifying things in all of videogames.

Easy as hell to beat, though.

Unfortunately yes, it is easy. Arrow cheesing if one is so inclined. However, my god what a scene that plays out there.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Unfortunately yes, it is easy. Arrow cheesing if one is so inclined. However, my god what a scene that plays out there.

I mean really after world 3 I figured I had seen anything this game could throw at me. Sure those prisoners wailings were creepy but they were just annoying later on.

And then suddenly

DEMON ABORTIONS

HUNDREDS OF THEM

JRPereira

Inflammable Slinky said:
I mean really after world 3 I figured I had seen anything this game could throw at me. Sure those prisoners wailings were creepy but they were just annoying later on.

And then suddenly

DEMON ABORTIONS

HUNDREDS OF THEM

Those creeped me the hell out. Especially considering how still they are once you get some distance and they forget about you.

Dyno

Another PS3 - another Demon's Souls character.

My last character was a melee/faith build, SL 160, and got to NG++. This time I want something easier and lighter, something that I can just pick up and put down while making decent progress every time. So I went with Royalty and have been passing through the levels nicely.

Any tips for a good build? I know the Purple Flame Shield is all-around great but it needs a 22 Strength to weild it? Is it worth it? Any other weapons or shields that I should look out for?

Canova

Banned
Inflammable Slinky said:

And then suddenly

DEMON ABORTIONS

HUNDREDS OF THEM

yes world 5 leaves a lasting impression. The first time you played 5-3, it hits you right in the gut, one way or another. They just nailed that level perfectly. You can interpret that short level in so many ways

oracrest

I absolutely love world 5. I've never played another game that so perfectly captures the filth, plague, poison, and death like that level.

It's like the whole world is rife with AIDS and Cancer.

oracrest said:
I absolutely love world 5. I've never played another game that so perfectly captures the filth, plague, poison, and death like that level.

It's like the whole world is rife with AIDS and Cancer.

Ha, agree, just finished the game and when I played this area I just wanted to murder everything there, it was just gruesome and vile, great for October I guess.

oracrest

canova said:
came home with Enslaved and Castlevania, but guess which game I booted up first :lol

I read this and remembered that I had Castlevania pre-ordered too. I was playing Demon's Souls. :D

Volcynika

demonssouls_oneyearanniversary_makeawish_1.jpg

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I literally did sing the Happy Birthday song to my computer screen while watching that picture.

Best game ever, congratulations!

Woohoo! Lets celebrate the success by extending the servers again! I wonder how long the legs actually are on this game...would be interested to see some updated sales figures.

LiK

panda21 said:
fuck pure black after october 18?! i'm boned :lol :lol guess thats a good incentive to finish it before then

or play offline, those additional BP enemies in PBT are brutal :lol

Thrakier

I played through the game with a Knight the first time. Now I got a new PS3 and no Demon's Souls Savegame anymore. :( Which character would you start to play to have a different experience than the first time?

LiK

Thrakier said:
I played through the game with a Knight the first time. Now I got a new PS3 and no Demon's Souls Savegame anymore. :( Which character would you start to play to have a different experience than the first time?

Barbarian. heard it'll help train you to dodge like a pro due to lack of starter armor. or try Royal to start up as a Magic user or a Bow user.

LiK said:
indeed, 5-2 doesn't get any better. i'm at NG++ and i still hate the swamp with a passion.

That swamp eats diseased cow manure. >_<

I used royal for my 120 hour playthrough (soul level 283 maybe?)... dude kicked ass and chewed bubblegum... and the maiden in black was all out of bubblegum. ^_^

(Royal was very versatile -- I was able to use magic/bow/weapon all proficiently and adapt to the challenge faced. I also think I was 3-0 in invasion defense. But that was mostly luck. :lol )

Dyno

Pure Black! Wicked! Oh no! It starts the day after Fallout New Vegas and Vanquished comes out. Oooh they are evil putting my loyalty to the test like this.

Thrakier

LiK said:
Barbarian. heard it'll help train you to dodge like a pro due to lack of starter armor. or try Royal to start up as a Magic user or a Bow user.

But gameplay wise, isn't that simlar to the knight?

Volcynika said:

Thanks for posting this, I was about to.

I'm working on getting an updated version of the OT but I've been quite busy with work and school.

I'm proud to see that Atlus had much success with this one. GAF + Demons Souls = stellar.

.GqueB.

Banned
recklessmind said:
I don't think this game is really that hard... the difficult part is the encyclopedia's worth of knowledge you need to get the most out of the experience. I think it's a weakness in design when a game requires an entire wiki to understand core gameplay mechanics. And even then it's still confusing.

I'd put DS up there as one of the best games of the generation so far... but its convolutedness makes it far less approachable (and enjoyable) than the difficulty. The challenge is actually incredibly fun -- the highlight -- but reading pages and pages in guides about world tendency isn't.

Just my opinion though...
Not sure what you mean? I played through half the game without touching the wiki. I only took a peak when I realized my thief could literally carry nothing so I went on there to check and see what cool light weapons/armor were available. Useless though as I used one of the first weapons I found throughout the entire game anyways.

LiK

Thrakier said:
But gameplay wise, isn't that simlar to the knight?

you're probably right, but i think most players rely on the shield alot as a knight while the barb is mainly dodge and parry. if they really wanna mix it up, a thief or royal should be a good change. altho i heard starting as a thief is a real challenge.

Shinjitsu

Banned
I'm so addicted to this game, started up a Royalty char to go pure mage with. So much fun, feels like a totally different game than playing as melee.

Facism said:
aren't we supposed to have pwwt at the moment? all my archstones are neutral :<
Are you connected online?
I have PWWT, but the gate to 1-1 doesn't open. I stare and run into the gate. Nope. Can't get through. :| What the hell Atlus? Do I have to make a new game for PWWT to work? As far as I can tell, the gate is locked. Wanted to fight Executioner Miralda.

Facism

zerokoolpsx said:
Are you connected online?
I have PWWT, but the gate to 1-1 doesn't open. I stare and run into the gate. Nope. Can't get through. :| What the hell Atlus? Do I have to make a new game for PWWT to work? As far as I can tell, the gate is locked. Wanted to fight Executioner Miralda.

yes of course.

No PWWT at all, it's all neutral. Checked for Scirvir, Makoto and 1-1 gate, no go (even thogh i someone how bugged Makoto so there are 2 of them in my game :eek:)

panda21

is this 1-1 gate something that only shows up in pure white?

but its not pure white for some reason?

you don't actually have to make a new game for the world tendency to change right? i thought it was specific to your game and what you do, but atlus could just change it when they feel like it?

Facism

panda21 said:
is this 1-1 gate something that only shows up in pure white?

but its not pure white for some reason?

you don't actually have to make a new game for the world tendency to change right? i thought it was specific to your game and what you do, but atlus could just change it when they feel like it?

Basically, at either PWWT or PBWT there's a gate in 1-1 at the beginning that opens up to the execution grounds. It leads to a named character you can fight, a set of armour and a colourless demon's soul.

world tendency is server-side, i believe. No need for a new game or anything.

oracrest

I played last night, and didn't notice any change to my world tendencies. :/

panda21 said:

Your online tendency is influenced by what other people are doing. If you were to deliberately try and bring your world tendency down, I recommend doing it in offline mode so you don't waste items working against the server influence.

Top Bottom