• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anthony Weiner could have become the fucking president if he wasn't such an idiot in his personal life.
If he wasn't such an idiot in his personal life, Hillary would probably be president right now. He just ruined everything he touched.

I just don't get it. He had a smoking hot wife, a very promising career, and he threw it all away for some tail. Like I understand to some degree this kind of behavior is pathological, but Jesus, get your shit together.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
If he wasn't such an idiot in his personal life, Hillary would probably be president right now. He just ruined everything he touched.

I just don't get it. He had a smoking hot wife, a very promising career, and he threw it all away for some tail. Like I understand to some degree this kind of behavior is pathological, but Jesus, get your shit together.

The worst part is he never actually fucked anyone, he just sexted.

Eh Weiner didn't cost Hillary the election. The idea that his scandal cost a significant number of votes is pretty out there.

JettDash

That too.

Eh Weiner didn't cost Hillary the election. The idea that his scandal cost a significant number of votes is pretty out there.

Him being an idiot in his personal life is why the FBI searched that computer, finding some Hillary emails.

Wasn't Weiner's private server the catalyst for the Comey letter? They found some more of Clinton's emails on there (ones that were sent/forwarded to Weiner) so they reopened the investigation.

The Comey letter reopened the email wound and made it completely fresh at the worst possible time. It probably cost us a Clinton presidency, 2 Senate seats (PA and MO) and likely 4 House seats (CA-49, NE-2, MN-2 and TX-23, all of which were within 2 points of flipping to the Democrats).

JettDash

Wasn't Weiner's private server the catalyst for the Comey letter? They found some more of Clinton's emails on there (ones that were sent/forwarded to Weiner) so they reopened the investigation.

The Comey letter reopened the email wound and made it completely fresh at the worst possible time.

They found some emails on a laptop that belonged to him or Huma.

If you don't get it, don't comment on it. Just leave the poor man alone. And blaming Hillary's loss on him is really myopic. You're better than that.

sazzy

anyone else find it odd that donald's approval number have been gradually ticking upwards?

Giq8dzG.png

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/trump-approval-ratings/?ex_cid=rrpromo

Not saying anything TOO dumb—for him—about hurricanes + functioning FEMA + supporters poking their heads up out of their groundhog holes a few weeks after Charlottesville.

Everyone's already forgotten about the "Nazis and protestors are the same!" thing. The longer he goes without doing something insane, the longer people forget he's there.

tbm24

Everyone's already forgotten about the "Nazis and protestors are the same!" thing. The longer he goes without doing something insane, the longer people forget he's there.
Well, he’s posturing like he’s going to pull out of the Iran deal, so you know, it’s only a matter of time before he sinks again.

tbm24

Is the Iran deal popular? Actually asking.

Doubt the vast majority of people even understand it, that doesn't mean the press doesn't. If he pulls out, it's going to be similar to how his Paris Accord shenanigans was received. I believe it's going to be the negative press that brings it down as opposed to what the negative press it about. Otherwise realistically why would his approvals ever bounce back up any %?

Never fear on approval rating, we have a war against North Korea with marginal public support that will kill hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians and a bonus war against Iran that literally no one else on the entire planet thinks is justified to start in the near year. People don't want to hear about Iran again. So long as we don't hear about them it means the deal is working. Backing out of it will show people how (generally) good it was, at least compared to war. No one will give a shit if the argument is they destabilize Iraq or Afghanistan because Americans like to pretend those wars are over and want nothing to do with them.

The case of "we want NK to give up their program or else we'll completely destroy them" versus "we're leaving the deal that made Iran give up their program" but wanting to hype conflict with them both is going to be reeeeeeeally hard to explain to people.
Democrats are fools if that's not a top 3 attack line in the 2020 presidential campaign. "He called his Nazi supporters 'good people'!"

Blader

Trump is absolutely going to kill the Iran deal. This is the exact same stunt he pulled with the Paris deal. He goes to Europe, meets all with these world leaders who make their case for the say, Trump says he'll think about it, goes home, the next week "Pittsburgh not Paris."

He's a fucking coward who does not want to be confronted by world leaders after making an internationally unpopular decision, so he waits until they've all left before making his announcement.

I think he just gets off on self-destruction.

FyreWulff

that third map explains the county wins better. Always thought showing a map of land area is stupid when you can win state-sized counties in the midwest/west with like, 20 votes.

We all know ratings dominate Trump’s life. If bipartisanship gives him a boost, he’ll want to make more deals. We already know this to be true based on positive media coverage.

He may be horrible in almost every way, but if we can get a deal on something while having virtually no power, we should take it. I don’t want Democrats to become Obama-era Republicans.

I think as long as Trump is president (and widely disliked), there could very well be a strong backlash against celebrity candidates.

I don't see why there would be a backlash because traditional politicians played a big role in bringing America to its current state of affairs. And nothing has changed irrespective of how people feel about Trump. Celebrities will try their luck when the kinds of people you prefer are bad at what they do for a living. And they could run for POTUS if Pres. Trump has a poor first term.

The only caveat I would think that would prevent other big time CEOs and celebs from running is that they can see everything Pres. Trump has been under pressure over to give up and reveal. Some people may not want to deal with the scrutiny. However, when you look at the current crop of prospective 2020 people...I don't see why someone like Mark Zuckerberg would be intimidated. They suck.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member

Man, 5-10 years down the line when he looks back at how low he stooped for Trump and what he sold his soul for... I hope he's truly disappointed with himself.

This new health bill has the worst estimate of any of the bills they've put out, up to this point.

32 million without healthcare

Damn, 552,000 in South Carolina and 422,000 in Louisiana. Graham and Cassidy are working hard to fuck over their own constituents.

Blader

Man, 5-10 years down the line when he looks back at how low he stooped for Trump and what he sold his soul for... I hope he's truly disappointed with himself.

He has become exactly the kind of figure he is famous for criticizing in his book.

The loss in Florida is insane.

Yesterday's Weeds got into that a little bit; Florida has been exceptionally effective at getting people signed up for Obamacare, both in terms of Medicaid expansion and marketplace participation, so they really get screwed under the GC formula.

That's what's really concerning about Trump's warmongering: If it was just him, we could put it down to Trump being a clueless moron, as always. Bit it's also the supposedly "rational" and "moderating" figures in his cabinet — Kelly, McMaster, Mattis — who have a very hawkish stance on North Korea and Iran. Essentially, there's no one in the cabinet that could convince him that tearing up the Iran agreement might be a bad idea :-(

Yesterday's Weeds got into that a little bit; Florida has been exceptionally effective at getting people signed up for Obamacare, both in terms of Medicaid expansion and marketplace participation, so they really get screwed under the GC formula.
Did they expand Medicaid in Florida? I thought they opted not to.

Did they expand Medicaid in Florida? I thought they opted not to.

Could've sworn they did, but I might have just misheard.

Either way, they've got a LOT of people on Medicaid because of the large elderly population, and they've done an incredible job of getting people into the exchanges as well.

Could've sworn they did, but I might have just misheard.

Either way, they've got a LOT of people on Medicaid because of the large elderly population, and they've done an incredible job of getting people into the exchanges as well.
Iirc there were some reports that even without the expansion, more people were signing up for Medicaid due to simply hearing about the expansion, or because of the mandate and finding out they qualified.

I mean I can imagine a ton of poor people not knowing shit about shit and not realizing the government would have pretty much subsidized their insurance from the get-go. Or even people in general not knowing Medicaid is an option.

Anyway, Fred Upton (of Michigan's 6th) looking to jump into the Senate race.

http://wlns.com/2017/09/20/skubick-sen-stabenow-could-face-challenge-from-west-michigan-congressman/

Went from 50-49 Romney to 51-43 Trump, so within the realm of possibility should he vacate the seat. Just gotta hope for snapback to 2012 levels plus midterm backlash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom