• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey 2 details (no MP, MEdge/Riddick/KZ/ME/AC2/Vanquish inspired) [Updated Again]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manager

btw, forgot to add. All the aliens look very human like, except for some of their limbs and obviously faces. Very similar to the Mass Effect aliens in both looks and armor/clothes, nothing like the Prey aliens.

Rhazer Fusion said:
Me too. Not every game needs it. Just concentrate on an epic single player campaign.
I'd like optional Move controls in every shooter. For me it was the better way of controls in Killzone 3.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I'm digging the trend of no multiplayer for games that they just weren't meant to have - it's a waste of resources, and the multiplayer scene for it dies after the first couple months anyways.

Number one reason of course is that if people want multiplayer, they already have their main multiplayer titles to get their fix from anyways.

Xater

I wonder if this will be using the same variation of iD Tech 4 as Brink.

I completely forgot that Brink is running on id Tech 4. That game seems to be running well from the PS3 footage we got not too long ago. Maybe Prey 2 can surprise me.

Xater said:
I completely forgot that Brink is running on id Tech 4. That game seems to be running well from the PS3 footage we got not too long ago. Maybe Prey 2 can surprise me.
Hopefully! I think Brink looks very nice.

subversus said:
He just describes a perfect game.
He really does. It'll be interesting to see if the game can live up to his words.

markot

Banned
heh, a game without mp makes me interested these days sadly >_< every freaking game has mp these days.... wouldnt be surprised if we see a mp solataire game come out soon....

threenote said:
sounds really awesome, actually. Riddick is one of my favorite games of all time.

Same, alongside Mirror's Edge.

But just namedropping a bunch of influences, a thing so many devs like to do, doesn't sell me on it.

Gonna have to wait on a lot more info and videos and ultimately a demo. Also I hope they still have trippy upside down stuff.

ElRenoRaven

So basically it's not Prey. Judging by that article, they started on a proper sequel then in an effort to cash in they scrapped it and went with this mishmash of random crap taken from all kinds of other games. Well if that isn't spitting in the face of everyone who bought the first, loved it, and wanted to see it's story continue like they fucking promised at the end of it.

Zenith

Banned
threenote said:
sounds really awesome, actually. Riddick is one of my favorite games of all time.

Everyone has a favourite game in that list. But there's no way it can "spiritually" be all of them.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
omimasum said:
- No multiplayer, 3D, Kinect or Move

that makes me happy :)

Why would less options make you happy? It's unlikely that even if they did implement those features that it would have an impact on playing the game without them. Maybe you're just a hater? :p

I like that they say it's heavily inspired by Mirror's Edge. Really loved that movement style and look forward to see how well they implement it in an action game like this.

That sounds pretty good to me. I had no real interest in P1, but if that description prooves true I would definitely play that game.

Thunderbear said:
Why would less options make you happy? It's unlikely that even if they did implement those features that it would have an impact on playing the game without them. Maybe you're just a hater? :p.

Because, god damn it, there are just about no examples of developers managing to deliver both strong SP and MP. In these dire times, I applaud developers that emphasize SP development.

bill.cosby

Neo Member
So basically the good parts from alot of good games thrown into one single supergame? No forced MP, motion controls? Sold!

Anyway...

We can't honestly judge the quality of this title yet, one way or the other. All we can say is that the producer is familiar with more than a few successful games from this gen and at the very least knows how to pique gamers interest.

One concern I have is the seemingly complete abandonment of the native american heritage angle from the first game. It may not seem important in a game that boils down to shooting aliens but it played a major role in the first game's story and mechanics. If those things are out the window, it might as well have been a new IP. It gave the first game some of its personality and uniqueness.

Zomba13

So, I just not long finished Prey (like, an hour or summin ago). I quite enjoyed it. Found the portals and walk on walls/gravity switching pretty fun.
It sounds like this game doesn't have much to do with the first one. I was looking forward to what Tommy would get up to (although I guess he could return in this, but we're not playing as him =/)

I doubt I'll be interested in this but will keep my eye on it. Hey, maybe it'll drop price as fast as Prey did.

ArjanN

Lakitu said:
Hmm... sounds completely different from the first, but I really like the sound of this.

The first game wasn't really that unique anyway, it was mostly a decent FPS with 2-3 neat set-pieces (portals/mini-planet/walking on the ceiling etc..) per level.

I like that they're trying some new stuff for the sequel.

feel

Mmm, this has potential. I'm desperate for some great singleplayer focused scifi shooters and
Producer: "Who would pick the MP mode of Prey 2 ahead of the one in for example Halo Reach? We'd rather to a really good SP adventure"
means you have my full attention mister producer. As someone who enjoyed the first one very much but wasn't really expecting to start anticipating this one, seeing the plane heading for the Sphere in the last shot of the live action trailer definitely got me hyped.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Reading it all I'd suppose it's mostly related to Borderlands, which isn't a bad thing if they work out the fast paced part well. It could give great change in structure instead of becoming stale like Borderlands sometimes got

Can also see the Killzone and Vanquish relation if the cover system is to be believed. Not bad at all, would love to see gameplay vids now

Green Scar said:
Killian is a name. Like Seth Killian!
I'm not claiming it's not a real name, but when I read it then all I could think about was it being picked for awful marketing reasons like the one I sarcastically did in my last post.

Fjordson

Well, that sure is a lot of, uh, inspirations. Still not thrilled with that main character, but I want this to be good.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Uh yeah, I'm gonna need them to reference just a few more games I like before I'm ready to get interested in this.

Anyways, the concept sounds nice. Nothing against Prey, it was decent, but I would probably be more excited if it was a new IP. Oh well.

Foliorum Viridum said:
I'm not claiming it's not a real name, but when I read it then all I could think about was it being picked for awful marketing reasons like the one I sarcastically did in my last post.

Eh, I dunno. I doubt they'd be that cynical.

dyergram

Was the first game started by 3drealms and finished by human head or did they just take 3dr's concept? Just wondered.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Hope it has a little bit of KOF too.

:3

Muzzy

dyergram said:
Was the first game started by 3drealms and finished by human head or did they just take 3dr's concept? Just wondered.

3D Realms started the project but then, Human Head was commissioned by 3DR to develop the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom