• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

IrishNinja
(05-17-2017, 09:56 PM)
IrishNinja's Avatar

Originally Posted by GhostTrick

Shenmue III came from Sony's efforts ? I mean, right they gave a spotlight at E3 but the big push came from Shibuya Prod though:
http://www.shibuya-productions.com/f...e-iii.html,010

sure, but i remain unconvinced that the timing of it finally happening & the building the list effort were coincidental

Originally Posted by GhostTrick

the game didn't reach all the stretch goals (even though, the campaign was ran by amateurs)

yet in spite of said amateurs, it broke records....we're past the point of the meme-like notion of this game being super niche & let it go gifs
Panajev2001a
GAF's Pleasant Genius
(05-17-2017, 09:58 PM)

Originally Posted by Deckard Chapel

I wish Sony was clearer on this - like saying "We will fund whatever is left after crowd-funding ends to give Yu Suzuki the opportunity to create the ultimate Shenmue III" - something like that.

They were clear... short of a pinkie promise on stage everybody said that it was not the case and that Sony was not covering the rest of the bill!

Short of using the logic "but they could change their mind so they probably will" I am not sure why people kept spreading misinformation that hurt this title chances to get better funding.
Panajev2001a
GAF's Pleasant Genius
(05-17-2017, 10:00 PM)

Originally Posted by IrishNinja

sure, but i remain unconvinced that the timing of it finally happening & the building the list effort were coincidental



yet in spite of said amateurs, it broke records....we're past the point of the meme-like notion of this game being super niche & let it go gifs

Is it an issue of the game being on PC and PS4 at launch and not other platforms and Sony giving them an E3 spotlight and some marketing exposure == "f'em I know Sony is paying for everything *angerrr*"?

The amount of doubt, fear, and "concern" thrown at this kickstarter was epic and completely without factual evidence at all... it was THE popular kickstarter people somehow needed to be wary about...
Last edited by Panajev2001a; 05-17-2017 at 10:02 PM.
NateDrake
Member
(05-17-2017, 10:02 PM)
NateDrake's Avatar

Originally Posted by Elfforkusu

It kind of is, though?

Shenmue 3 is coming. Not remastering or giving Shenmue 1/2 a re-release would be more surprising than it happening. It's expected to happen. It would be a cool announcement but I don't see how an expected announcement can be considered a megaton. Shenmue 3 was a megaton.

I love Shenmue and have fond memories of playing the game on my Dreamcast. I want to see Shenmue 1/2HD but, to me, it feels like an obvious release. It'll be exciting to replay them.
Last edited by NateDrake; 05-17-2017 at 10:06 PM.
IrishNinja
(05-17-2017, 10:03 PM)
IrishNinja's Avatar

Originally Posted by Panajev2001a

Is it an issue of the game being on PC and PS4 at launch and not other platforms and Sony giving them an E3 spotlight and some marketing exposure == "f'em I know Sony is paying for everything *angerrr*"?

i've no idea. i had no idea what some wankers were on about years ago with "THE NEED FOR SONY TO BE TRANSPARENT" despite industry norms.

i just know sony clearly had a hand in finally bringing this together, so it should logically flow that it'll be a console exclusive - i can't see why that wouldn't extend to this remaster either, especially with the above pics we're seeing
GhostTrick
Member
(05-17-2017, 10:04 PM)
GhostTrick's Avatar

Originally Posted by IrishNinja

sure, but i remain unconvinced that the timing of it finally happening & the building the list effort were coincidental



yet in spite of said amateurs, it broke records....we're past the point of the meme-like notion of this game being super niche & let it go gifs


I think you're giving far too much credit to the build the list stuff. You should read more about the interviews of the party involved.
Yes, it broke records, but it's still one of the most expected game on the internet, yet it was like 1M away from Bloodstained.
Panajev2001a
GAF's Pleasant Genius
(05-17-2017, 10:04 PM)

Originally Posted by IrishNinja

i've no idea. i had no idea what some wankers were on about years ago with "THE NEED FOR SONY TO BE TRANSPARENT" despite industry norms.

i just know sony clearly had a hand in finally bringing this together, so it should logically flow that it'll be a console exclusive - i can't see why that wouldn't extend to this remaster either, especially with the above pics we're seeing

That is true too, but there is a difference from lending a hand and what may have caused the kickstarter to miss its ideal target. Anyways, I get your point :).
Deckard Chapel
Banned
(05-17-2017, 10:06 PM)

Originally Posted by Panajev2001a

They were clear... short of a pinkie promise on stage everybody said that it was not the case and that Sony was not covering the rest of the bill!

Short of using the logic "but they could change their mind so they probably will" I am not sure why people kept spreading misinformation that hurt this title chances to get better funding.

What's the point of making Shenmue III if it's not going to be the best version it can be?

Seems like a waste of time if they can't make it amazing, but only "almost what we wanted to make".

All I would do while playing it, would be thinking about what could have been.
IrishNinja
(05-17-2017, 10:07 PM)
IrishNinja's Avatar

Originally Posted by GhostTrick

I think you're giving far too much credit to the build the list stuff. You should read more about the interviews of the party involved.
Yes, it broke records, but it's still one of the most expected game on the internet, yet it was like 1M away from Bloodstained.

so is it just shenmue fan echo chambers, or one of the most expected games on the internet, then....?

moreover: do you honestly think this game would finally be happening without sony's initiative?

Originally Posted by Deckard Chapel

What's the point of making Shenmue III if it's not going to be the best version it can be?

Seems like a waste of time if they can't make it amazing, but only "almost what we wanted to make".

All I would do while playing it, would be thinking about what could have been.

there's always unmet goals, always ideas left on the table due to development time with any ambitious project - i've read lots of stuff from suzuki, kojima etc about things they wanted to do but the tech just wasn't there yet/etc, never made the game i played feel any less complete
GhostTrick
Member
(05-17-2017, 10:08 PM)
GhostTrick's Avatar

Originally Posted by Panajev2001a

They were clear... short of a pinkie promise on stage everybody said that it was not the case and that Sony was not covering the rest of the bill!

Short of using the logic "but they could change their mind so they probably will" I am not sure why people kept spreading misinformation that hurt this title chances to get better funding.



Exactly. This was pure bs, every party involved - Sony 3rd Party prod, Shibuya Productions and Yu Suzuki - were pretty transparent on everyone's involvement. It was clear shortly after that Sony 3rd Party Productions would give them the same treatment they gave to other initiatives of that kind, except they'd handle publishing duties on the PS4 version and provide technical assistance and PR.


Originally Posted by IrishNinja

so is it just shenmue fan echo chambers, or one of the most expected games on the internet, then....?

moreover: do you think this game would finally be happening without sony's initiative?



That's the point with fan echo chambers: They sound like bigger than they are. There's no shame with that but if you heard people, it was like Shenmue 3 was the most expected number 3 game with Half Life 3.
As for the game finally be happening without Sony's initiative ? Yes. Because it happened on Kickstarter. Sony's initiative then again was about their 3rd party production team and giving them a spotlight.
Sony wasn't affiliated with the KS except for the unveil, neither for the idea. And they're not producing it, Shibuya Production is.

I mean, straigth from the horse's mouth:

7/ Fans and media have still a lot of questions regarding the role of each party. We prepared for you a summary of these roles. Tell us if the following elements are correct or not.

- SEGA granted YsNet the Shenmue III licence after negotiations directly led by Yu Suzuki. Suzuki-san was the one negotiating with Sony as well.

- Sony highlighted the Shenmue III Kickstarter campaign at E3 2015 and thus has been a big part of its success. In order to sell Shenmue III, Sony will also provide valuable assistance thanks to its marketing power and communication efficiency. Sony will be in charge of the production and publishing of the PlayStation 4 version and continue providing technical expertise to the YsNet team on Shenmue III development (hardware knowledge, optimization).

- Shibuya Productions is the initiator of the project with YsNet. You are the original and main investor in Shenmue III. You gave the initial impetus that made this project possible. Shibuya Productions is also responsible for the publishing and marketing of the PC version.

- YsNet is in charge of the game development on PlayStation 4 and PC in partnership with Neilo, Tak Hirai's studio. The management of the PayPal campaign has been assigned to Awesome Japan, a service provider.

CÚdric Biscay: "Yes."

It is not to diminish Sony's obvious role in highlighting the launch of the Kickstarter (to the point I rushed right at the moment it was unveiled to back with 300 bucks) but no, they didn't make it happen.
Last edited by GhostTrick; 05-17-2017 at 10:14 PM.
GoldenHelmet
Just Add Water CEO
(05-17-2017, 10:08 PM)
GoldenHelmet's Avatar
Oh, it's real... :-)
NateDrake
Member
(05-17-2017, 10:10 PM)
NateDrake's Avatar

Originally Posted by GoldenHelmet

Oh, it's real... :-)

I think it is more a question of whether it'll be a Sony exclusive release, but your comment will provide plenty of hype to people now lol.
Deckard Chapel
Banned
(05-17-2017, 10:11 PM)

Originally Posted by NateDrake

I think it is more a question of whether it'll be a Sony exclusive release, but your comment will provide plenty of hype to people now lol.

Is he a "someone in the know"?

Sorry to ask, but I don't know of him :)
openrob
Member
(05-17-2017, 10:11 PM)
openrob's Avatar

Originally Posted by GoldenHelmet

Oh, it's real... :-)

Who are you and what do you know!!!?!
Hehe


Originally Posted by wwm0nkey

His team did the OddWorld remasters

I was just joking around lol
Last edited by openrob; 05-17-2017 at 10:21 PM.
Kwansu Dudes
Member
(05-17-2017, 10:12 PM)
Kwansu Dudes's Avatar

Originally Posted by GoldenHelmet

Oh, it's real... :-)

How real?

Edit: I honestly thought his tag was one of the many joke tags.
Last edited by Kwansu Dudes; 05-17-2017 at 10:17 PM.
AAMARMO
Junior Member
(05-17-2017, 10:14 PM)
AAMARMO's Avatar
bluepoint project?
SMG
Member
(05-17-2017, 10:15 PM)
SMG's Avatar
Bit off topic, but has anyone heard news of Shenmue merch. I've wanted a nice official Shenmue shirt since I was 11. Not to mention figures and posters.
NateDrake
Member
(05-17-2017, 10:15 PM)
NateDrake's Avatar

Originally Posted by Deckard Chapel

Is he a "someone in the know"?

Sorry to ask, but I don't know of him :)

CEO of Just Add Water. Company behind Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty! and plenty of other PS4 projects.
IrishNinja
(05-17-2017, 10:16 PM)
IrishNinja's Avatar

Originally Posted by GhostTrick

That's the point with fan echo chambers: They sound like bigger than they are. There's no shame with that but if you heard people, it was like Shenmue 3 was the most expected number 3 game with Half Life 3.
As for the game finally be happening without Sony's initiative ? Yes. Because it happened on Kickstarter. Sony's initiative then again was about their 3rd party production team and giving them a spotlight.
Sony wasn't affiliated with the KS except for the unveil, neither for the idea. And they're not producing it, Shibuya Production is.

kinda done with the former, you've decided to follow a dated narrative on shenmue simply being vocal minority thing, despite, as you've even said, a bumbling KS campaign breaking records.

as for the latter: agree to disagree. this project went nowhere for nearly a decade and a half, and now sony - as you pointed out - runs PR, publishes & provides assistance, but this was surely going to get off its feet without all that...despite suzuki himself spending years trying to sort funding, without sega or another big backer.

Originally Posted by SMG

Bit off topic, but has anyone heard news of Shenmue merch. I've wanted a nice official Shenmue shirt since I was 11. Not to mention figures and posters.

nothing beyond the KS rewards - some campaigns let you purchase those things later, though
wwm0nkey
Member
(05-17-2017, 10:16 PM)
wwm0nkey's Avatar

Originally Posted by openrob

Who are you and what do you know!!!?!
Hehe

His team did the OddWorld remasters
Panajev2001a
GAF's Pleasant Genius
(05-17-2017, 10:18 PM)

Originally Posted by Deckard Chapel

What's the point of making Shenmue III if it's not going to be the best version it can be?

Seems like a waste of time if they can't make it amazing, but only "almost what we wanted to make".

All I would do while playing it, would be thinking about what could have been.

What is your point here though? The only way they could make it was through Kickstarter and with fans investing in it.

Some blogs and magazines and rabid "fans" started spreading a lot of unfounded fear, uncertainty, and doubt about all of this and created confusion as if it really was. It clear who was finding it and if Sony was real ally footing all the bill and the kickstarter was a publicity stunt.
Boke1879
Member
(05-17-2017, 10:18 PM)
Boke1879's Avatar
HYPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GhostTrick
Member
(05-17-2017, 10:18 PM)
GhostTrick's Avatar

Originally Posted by IrishNinja

kinda done with the former, you've decided to follow a dated narrative on shenmue simply being vocal minority thing, despite, as you've even said, a bumbling KS campaign breaking records.

as for the latter: agree to disagree. this project went nowhere for nearly a decade and a half, and now sony - as you pointed out - runs PR, publishes & provides assistance, but this was surely going to get off its feet without all that - despite suzuki himself spending years trying to sort funding, without sega or another big backer.



Agree to disagree with their own words ?
Come on :")
I provided you a link with the entire explanation. The project went nowhere for nearly a decade and a half until Shibuya Production stepped in, yes.

As for being a vocal minority, yes, we were 70 000 backers.
Charamiwa
Banned
(05-17-2017, 10:18 PM)

Originally Posted by NateDrake

I think it is more a question of whether it'll be a Sony exclusive release, but your comment will provide plenty of hype to people now lol.

They'd be fools not to release it on PC considering Shenmue 3.
SolidSnakex
Member
(05-17-2017, 10:22 PM)
SolidSnakex's Avatar
I just hope that when/if it releases that it's able to find the larger fanbase it deserved when it was initially released. There are a lot more slower story driven games released these days that are popular compared to when it was first released, so hopefully it's able to ride that momentum. People always talk about games that were ahead of their time, but Shennmue was definitely one of them. And it and Suzuki sadly paid the price for being too early.
Doctor_Thomas
Member
(05-17-2017, 10:23 PM)
Doctor_Thomas's Avatar
Let's be honest, this is happening and it's a pretty massive deal.
Boke1879
Member
(05-17-2017, 10:25 PM)
Boke1879's Avatar

Originally Posted by SolidSnakex

I just hope that when/if it releases that it's able to find the larger fanbase it deserved when it was initially released. There are a lot more slower story driven games released these days that are popular compared to when it was first released, so hopefully it's able to ride that momentum. People always talk about games that were ahead of their time, but Shennmue was definitely one of them. And it and Suzuki sadly paid the price for being too early.

The game was definitely ahead of its time. Unfortunate that it didn't find a wider audience. Hopefully this does.
IrishNinja
(05-17-2017, 10:26 PM)
IrishNinja's Avatar

Originally Posted by GhostTrick

Agree to disagree with their own words ?
Come on :")
I provided you a link with the entire explanation. The project went nowhere for nearly a decade and a half until Shibuya Production stepped in, yes.

As for being a vocal minority, yes, we were 70 000 backers.

right, sony's efforts were part of that, is all i've been saying. i get your meaning about them not doing the heavy lifting, i'm arguing the assistance they've provided went a long way with such a project, is all...and i've mainly been throwing that out there in regards to things like the above pic with Gio & why we should expect console exclusives, is all.

70,000 backers & one of E3's biggest megatons on something many on this very forum spent years dogpiling in shenmue related threads to explain it was dead & a handful of people cared. for a property that's had a cameo or two for the last 3 or so generations, these aren't insignificant things: as a Yakuza fan, for instance, the series took a decade to finally have a chapter break 70k here in the states.
downplay all that if you like, but i'm not gonna.
GoldenHelmet
Just Add Water CEO
(05-17-2017, 10:26 PM)
GoldenHelmet's Avatar
... or is it?!
Boke1879
Member
(05-17-2017, 10:27 PM)
Boke1879's Avatar

Originally Posted by GoldenHelmet

... or is it?!

BOY!
Get_craycray
Member
(05-17-2017, 10:27 PM)
Get_craycray's Avatar

Originally Posted by GoldenHelmet

... or is it?!

Don't you dare!!!
wwm0nkey
Member
(05-17-2017, 10:28 PM)
wwm0nkey's Avatar

Originally Posted by Get_craycray

Don't you dare!!!

Too late, he hit the delete Shenmue button
Boke1879
Member
(05-17-2017, 10:28 PM)
Boke1879's Avatar
So we got Ori devs saying Bloodborne 2 is real and now this.


To be honest. This is something I believe and I doubt the CEO of JAW would have a laugh at our expense.
funkystudent
Member
(05-17-2017, 10:29 PM)
funkystudent's Avatar

Originally Posted by GoldenHelmet

... or is it?!

Slick save brah.
SirNinja
Member
(05-17-2017, 10:29 PM)
SirNinja's Avatar

Originally Posted by schaft0620

The general assumption is that Blue Point games (Uncharted Collection, Gravity Rush Remastered) will be at E3 with something.

Bluepoint did the Ico/SotC Collection as well. If they're truly behind Shenmue 1+2 HD, that's an instabuy.
GhostTrick
Member
(05-17-2017, 10:29 PM)
GhostTrick's Avatar

Originally Posted by IrishNinja

right, sony's efforts were part of that, is all i've been saying. i get your meaning about them not doing the heavy lifting, i'm arguing the assistance they've provided went a long way with such a project, is all...and i've mainly been throwing that out there in regards to things like the above pic with Gio & why we should expect console exclusives, is all.

70,000 backers & one of E3's biggest megatons on something many on this very forum spent years dogpiling in shenmue related threads to explain it was dead & a handful of people cared. for a property that's had a cameo or two for the last 3 or so generations, these aren't insignificant things: as a Yakuza fan, for instance, the series took a decade to finally have a chapter break 70k here in the states.
downplay all that if you like, but i'm not gonna.


Part of highlighting the kickstarter, yes. But we came a long way from "make it happen" to "provide healthy and necessary assistance".
I'm not downplaying though, I just hoped for more.
NateDrake
Member
(05-17-2017, 10:30 PM)
NateDrake's Avatar

Originally Posted by GoldenHelmet

... or is it?!

.
ShiftaDeband
Junior Member
(05-17-2017, 10:31 PM)
ShiftaDeband's Avatar

Originally Posted by GoldenHelmet

... or is it?!

Don't mess with my emotions... not like this.
IrishNinja
(05-17-2017, 10:33 PM)
IrishNinja's Avatar

Originally Posted by GhostTrick

I'm not downplaying though, I just hoped for more.

we all did, man - after that initial momentum at least. but then the FUD started going around about how sony was throwing huge $ at it so why kickstart it at all, etc. and that was before awesome japan or whatever with their dimestore feed & lack of updates/work on stretch goals etc helped kill some of that.

fucksake, didn't they only get paypal going in the final stretch or so? it was such a mess
DMONKUMA
Junior Member
(05-17-2017, 10:35 PM)
DMONKUMA's Avatar
I feel like this E3 is gonna be a rollercoaster for some people
GoldenHelmet
Just Add Water CEO
(05-17-2017, 10:35 PM)
GoldenHelmet's Avatar

Originally Posted by ShiftaDeband

Don't mess with my emotions... not like this.

Cypher called...
EdibleExplosives
Member
(05-17-2017, 10:36 PM)
EdibleExplosives's Avatar

Originally Posted by GoldenHelmet

Oh, it's real... :-)



Originally Posted by GoldenHelmet

... or is it?!

oti
Member
(05-17-2017, 10:38 PM)
oti's Avatar

Originally Posted by GoldenHelmet

... or is it?!

Shenmno HD
GhostTrick
Member
(05-17-2017, 10:38 PM)
GhostTrick's Avatar

Originally Posted by IrishNinja

we all did, man - after that initial momentum at least. but then the FUD started going around about how sony was throwing huge $ at it so why kickstart it at all, etc. and that was before awesome japan or whatever with their dimestore feed & lack of updates/work on stretch goals etc helped kill some of that.

fucksake, didn't they only get paypal going in the final stretch or so? it was such a mess



Also the lack of PS4 physical, the lame campaign presentation and of course the "concerned" persons about the fundings :")
But yeah, me saying 6.5M is a disappointement isnt me trying to downplay it but rather wished/hoped it would be at least double that.
Sangetsu-II
Member
(05-17-2017, 10:39 PM)
Sangetsu-II's Avatar

Originally Posted by GoldenHelmet

Oh, it's real... :-)

Are you guys still working on a PSVR title?

I sorta remember something about that...
@ShenmueGuru
Banned
(05-17-2017, 10:40 PM)
What.....
GoldenHelmet
Just Add Water CEO
(05-17-2017, 10:41 PM)
GoldenHelmet's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sangetsu-II

Are you guys still working on a PSVR title?

I sorta remember something about that...

Well we made Volume: CODA for PS VR, which was a PS VR launch addon for "Volume".
Apharmd
Member
(05-17-2017, 10:41 PM)
Apharmd's Avatar

Originally Posted by GoldenHelmet

Oh, it's real... :-)


COME ON

STOP PLAYING WITH MY HEART
LiK
(05-17-2017, 10:42 PM)
LiK's Avatar
New English dub pls
Get_craycray
Member
(05-17-2017, 10:43 PM)
Get_craycray's Avatar

Originally Posted by Apharmd

COME ON

STOP PLAYING WITH MY HEART


Thread Tools