• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you smoke?

Mayyhem

I smoked casually while with friends or drinking and it led to me sometimes smoking on my own. Once that happened I bought a vape. It has 3mg of nicotine so whenever I feel the urge I just vape. Have not smoked a cig since

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I smoked a pack a day for 20 years.

I know people hate vaping as well, but I discovered vaping 5 years ago and haven't had a cigarette since.

I'm sure that I'm going to pay the price for my 20 years of smoking eventually. Maybe even shortly. I'm starting to see people I went to high school with starting to pop off.

I quit 4 years ago and have no desire for a cigarette.

When you first attempt to quit, it will be agonizing for a long time.. but all that agony will just be wasted effort if you smoke even one cigarette.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I use to. As a kid I'd go over to my best friend's house (they were twins) and their mom and older brother smoked Marlboro Reds. Their dad smoked cigars. I use to think cigarettes and cigars looked cool. I also played baseball as a kid, so maybe that was the appeal of tobacco in some way. My grandpa smoked Camels and he had a pipe. I enjoyed smelling the tobacco on his pipe and the art of the Camel boxes he left downstairs in the garage.
When I was around 15-16 someone from high school gave me a cigarette and I went home and smoked it. I'd take a cigarette from anyone who had one. I even paid $5 (lunch money) for a single inside a plastic container in debate class. It got to a point where we'd run across the street during open hours in high school to have a smoke. I smoked pot about everyday for a year about a year or two later. I was put on Welbutren medication and that worked for about a day, but I decided to smoke a pack of Red 100's.
For the next few years I smoked Marbolo Lights. They were my favorite. I notice they aren't even around anymore. I smoked about a pack a day. I even smoked the cheap Cowboys brand because I was broke in my early 20's. Around the age of 24-25 I bought nicotine gum. I chewed that for about 5-6 years. Walmart, Walgreens, and all the different 4 MG packs I could get. I was hooked on the gum.

The gum got me to quit smoking, but I loved nicotine. I still get the gum, but I'm not spending the same amount of money as I use to. I'll buy Zonic 4 MG cinnamon when I have the money for it. A coworker had me try Camel SNUS and I'm not exactly a chew type of person. I was always the type who found smoking to be something enjoyable despite all the negative outlooks.

Moze

Banned
same here, when i go to doc for checkups and stuff, everything is good to go, never had any problems, and my family all smoked and lived long lives with no cancer, i think i got luck of the draw for that, i see people that never smoked get lung cancer and stuff, has a lot to do with genetics and pollution where you live as well, its legal, same as weed should be, alcohol kills more and does worse to your body than smoking, but that's none of my business Kermit the frog meme....

Sure, people who have never smoked can get lung cancer, but the vast majority (90%) of lung cancer cases are caused by smoking. Then there are other cancers it can cause.

llien

Never did. Tried a cigarette or two "just to know how it feels" without intent of becoming a smoker.
Brother smokes but very rarely.
None of my parents smokes (which, I think, is important)

People say it is harder for women to quit smoking, but my cousin, who was smoking 2 packs a day, managed to quit overnight, When asked how, she said "I got very angry with myself about it". She has quite a willpower, I must say.

JimiNutz

Banned
Never smoked and would never date a smoker, I find the smell unbearable and don't get me started on kissing a smoker...

This is the same for me and I wonder if I'm just really sensitive to it? Smoker breath is horrendous but it seems like a lot of people don't care. A hot girl smoking is an instant turn off because I really enjoy kissing but can't get into it when your mouth tastes like ash and death.

Hissing Sid

Started at fifteen and stopped when I was forty. Been stopped for seven years.

Stopped because I wanted to and not for financial reasons or due to being bullied by the busy-body, anti-smoker zealots.

Went cold turkey but still wanted a ciggy going into year two. Some lucky sods report the cravings have ceased a couple of days after they’ve stopped. This was not my experience, nor typical of other smokers I know who have stopped.

Maybe in years to come when I’m a resident of Drool Acres Rest Home I’ll light another one up, but at present I don’t even think about them anymore. And that’s cool.

Paasei

Never smoked a cigarette in my life and will never smoke till I die.

I take a snus every now and then. Doesn't smell and nobody sees it, so I do not annoy people around me with it. Doing my best to be a mild user and so far (a year of 3 of passed), I still manage to keep it down to one or two a week.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
I just quit 5 months ago after 23 years of smoking (Shesha). I was having trouble breathing, especially at night while trying to fall asleep. Seems like even while I was in stasis , not moving, I was having breathing problems, like I could get enough oxygen. Yawning a lot.

I miss it so much, and I fight everyday to not do it again.

It was this most difficult thing to kick. What disappointed me most was I didn't feel better for almost 3 months.
I have bad sleep apnea aswell so I'm not sure if smoking has anything to do with that but my problem is I still enjoy a smoke so have never ever even tried to give up I mean I'm trying to give up ice coffee but struggling lol

eso76

Used to, 10/15 a day
Been vaping exclusively for 4 yrs now i think.
Started with 18mg down to 6 now.
Had a couple cigs since then and hated them.

Maedre

Banned
Tried as teen but I hated it. My parents were extrem smoker until 2001 but stopped.

Smoking is a no go for me. I hate the smell and the habits behind smoking. I could never have a smoking SO.

Chris1

Nope never smoked. Everyone in my family smokes a lot except my mum who quit cold turkey years ago so I'm surprised I don't tbh

Don't like the smell and even the smell of it can makes me cough so there's no chance I'll ever smoke.

Switched to ecigs a few months ago. I do miss a good hot lung-full of the bad stuff from time to time. Smoked cigs then rollups for about 20 years.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I am having a few cigars as it is my birthday but I don't smoke at all otherwise.

tbh they taste nice at first but the aftertaste and the smell on fingers and clothes i do not like.

blackanother

Neo Member
I smoked for a few years, about half a pack a day. Switched to vaping, but I still smoke socially, only because my closest friends still smoke. Drinking and not smoking is hard, though. Good thing I don't drink often.

Smoked 10 or so a day for almost 20 years then quit 5 years ago. Haven't had one since. Hopefully I didn't do myself any long-term damage.

partime

I used to lean out my high bedroom window to smoke at night when living with a roommate in Redondo Beach. I loved looking at the waves at dusk and feeling the breeze and the salty air, even more relaxing with a cig in your own room.

One night in particular I bruised my lung while leaning out (against my chest) smoking and it hurt like hell for a time. Still feels uncomfortable to this day, but it's a constant reminder of how stupid smoking is, both inside & out of your body.

Can't be around it. Makes me feel sick. Smells disgusting. I really don't understand how anyone can stand it.

What drives me nuts is that I literally can not avoid it when I walk out of the building where I work. All exits are the same. Just a giant smoking mosh pit.

I can even smell it when co-workers that smoke are near me. They're ok with smelling like that? Yikes.

Couldn't imagine ever dating someone like that either.

And then there's the price. Yikes.

Only pure weed, mostly Bong.
I used to mix weed with tobacco back when I started to smoke weed. I stopped using tobacco after 2 years. It fucks you up very bad. Highly addictive and toxic. Had headaches almost every day, running nose, heartburn, insomnia, loss of stamina / breath and much more. Had to cough so often during the day.

It's all gone now, since I smoke pure weed.

Smoked cigarettes for almost 15 years, quit 3 years ago.
Now I smoke cigarettes very occasionally, very, some times a cigar and sometimes weed.

Shower Fairy

Neo Member
JadedWastefulGiraffe-size_restricted.gif

Boogie9IGN

I smoked pretty often from around 18-26 (Camel Menthol Crush, Lucky Strikes, Mild 7, Turkish Royals, Gauloises, Gitanes, Chunghwas, etc). Then I stopped for about a year and a half and have since then started again at social functions or after a busy day at work or with a lovely cup of coffee. Didn't help that my coworker brought me some packs of Panda cigarettes from China and my god they were absolutely delicious!

Lucky Strikes/Turkish Royals/Gauloises/Gitanes/Pandas are too good man

Yup. Started mostly when I was out drinking. Kinda grew into a daily thing and well, about 5-10 a day.

Funny enough, I used to be completely against it and stuff. I used to give smokers a hard time and everything. Funny how things change

G-Bus

Banned
On and off for the last 10 years or so. Smoked steadily for the first couple of years. Never went over half a pack a day, unless drinking was involved.

Wife and I have quit a few times. One of us always breaks and buys a pack. We were doing good for a while, only smoking when we would go out and drink. Been a real shit year for us and so the wife started smoking again full time.

Once again we're trying to quit. Made it the weekend without having a smoke then I broke Monday and bought a pack. Only having a few cigs a day.

Work in progress.

Shrubchicken

Neo Member
Nearly every person I have ever known either is or was a smoker, and yet I am not a smoker. I will never try it either, because it does not interest me.

Ex:2

I smoked in my late teens to early 20's when hanging out with friends. But never really cared for it and stopped by 23. I'm knocking on 40's door dating a sneaky smoker and it's causing me problems because I can't deal with the smokers breath (it's smells like hot garbage) and the lies about not being a smoker when I can clearly smell it and see the ashes on the bathroom window. Even cigarette burns on my sofa. SMH

Nope i dont smoke and have never tried cigarettes. I have smoked tobacco once in a hooka. And i have smoked weed like 2 times. That's about it, dont consume either weed or nicotin on a regular basis. Was long time ago i tried on both.

Top Bottom