• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE "DENPA" MEN: They Came By Wave (Denpa no Ningen RPG): 9/27 on US eShop

RM8

Oh man, I'm absolutely getting a Cobalt Blur 3DS if it makes it to America. Can't wait to play this demo, should have brought my 3DS to work.

Oh snap! I just discovered going to the raft will allow you to create save game info that you can load in the full version when it comes out!

backlot

I played the demo and this game seems pretty cool. Not sure about $10 though. I'll wait and see just how much there is to do in the full game.

stealthpengu

Neo Member
I'm liking this game so far. it's fun seeing what different antenna abilities you can find. I wish the game had more story or character interactions though. You get a taste in the demo with the dwarves... but does anyone with the japanese version know if there is a lot more of that in the full version?

BooJoh

I wonder what determines what denpa men show up. When the game first brought me into the antenna tower, three showed up, and I caught two of them, now it keeps telling me there are no more in this area and to move somewhere with more radio waves.

I live in a rural area, so if I get this game I guess I'll have to catch them on days when I'm in town.

EDIT: Went over to my dad's house and got two more, so it seems a unique wifi hotspot will produce two denpa men.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I think I know what my first 3DS downloadable purchase will be. Sounds pretty intriguing and fresh.

EDIT: Went over to my dad's house and got two more, so it seems a unique wifi hotspot will produce two denpa men.
This is probably it. Doing a wireless scan brings up no fewer than 10 networks to.connect to. There were all of 20 or so Denpa Men flying around for me.

zroid

Banned
This wi-fi revelation is going to have me running around all over the city collecting these dudes. Ingenious.

d+pad

So, I'm loving the demo so far. A bit too short, maybe, but it showed me enough to know that I'm buying the full game day one.

One question for all of you who've also played the demo: Is it not possible to fully control your party members? What I mean is, can I command them to, say, use their special powers rather than headbutt an enemy, or am I only able to tell my entire party to "use powers" or "not use powers"?

Ridley327

So, I'm loving the demo so far. A bit too short, maybe, but it showed me enough to know that I'm buying the full game day one.

One question for all of you who've also played the demo: Is it not possible to fully control your party members? What I mean is, can I command them to, say, use their special powers rather than headbutt an enemy, or am I only able to tell my entire party to "use powers" or "not use powers"?

If you press down, you can give them individual orders, including targets.

ryushe

Enjoyed the demo enough for it to be a definite purchase at $7. For $10, I dont know. I have to hear how long it is after the game releases.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I wonder what determines what denpa men show up. When the game first brought me into the antenna tower, three showed up, and I caught two of them, now it keeps telling me there are no more in this area and to move somewhere with more radio waves.

I live in a rural area, so if I get this game I guess I'll have to catch them on days when I'm in town.

You can trade 'em via QR codes in the full game, IIRC.

Just checked out the demo and this looks sorta interesting with the RPG elements. Will definitely be checking the full game out on the 27th.

rpmurphy

Demo was fun. By a lucky drop, I got a nice Clubs clothing that boosts speed by a lot, which will be very useful in the full game.

JosiahB

I'm really loving the demo so far. The variety for the Denpa Men is incredible (I've already found fifteen different antenna types).

Also, does anyone know what's special about Shiny Denpa Men? I caught one and the main Denpa guy commented on Shiny Denpa Men being stronger or something, but in the Denpa home he seems around the same strength as others... (And he doesn't appear shiny in the home either, just when I caught him.)

I am enjoying the demo so far, and I don't even like RPGs or rougelikes. I think I just like the general motif and weirdness of the game.

I also ended up spinning like an idiot trying to catch specific Denpa men. lol

One complaint... I don't know where to find the Next value. It's... nowhere to be found, lol.

I'm really loving the demo so far. The variety for the Denpa Men is incredible (I've already found fifteen different antenna types).

Also, does anyone know what's special about Shiny Denpa Men? I caught one and the main Denpa guy commented on Shiny Denpa Men being stronger or something, but in the Denpa home he seems around the same strength as others... (And he doesn't appear shiny in the home either, just when I caught him.)

I had one show up but didn't manage to get him before he disappeared because I was playing my 3DS in the car at the time. I think they can have items or abilities though that other of that color/antenna don't normally have.

Otherwise, I showed up in a GameStop yesterday and decided to look for Denpas after I picked up my Keldeo. Probably looked like an idiot but I grabbed up a couple that I couldn't find around my house - including another white one with revive and a black one with heal all.

soultron

Banned
I hate JRPGs but I'm really digging this. Definitely buying no matter what the price is. Love how you can save your demo progress and send it to the full version.

zroid

Banned
I don't get the hype... that game bored me after a while.

Well, not everyone will like every game. But it's one of the most original, challenging, and charming puzzlers (and games in general) in years.

There's also a limitless amount of content through UGC, and the UGC is incredibly easy to make unlike in most games.

Lastly, it's one of the best values in gaming, period, at $7.

I think if I had to find a couple faults it's that the tutorial is a bit slow and the music gets kinda repetitive after a while.

JosiahB

I had one show up but didn't manage to get him before he disappeared because I was playing my 3DS in the car at the time. I think they can have items or abilities though that other of that color/antenna don't normally have.

Otherwise, I showed up in a GameStop yesterday and decided to look for Denpas after I picked up my Keldeo. Probably looked like an idiot but I grabbed up a couple that I couldn't find around my house - including another white one with revive and a black one with heal all.

Yeah, I realized that the one that I caught had an elemental antenna that attacked more than one enemy (I had only found ones that attacked one enemy at a time).

I will say that I hope the full game has more room to keep Denpa Men; I've already filled up my party and house (and each character has a different antenna).

zigg

I've gotta try this demo sometime soon.

Does anyone know if you can find the same Denpa Man someone else found if you go to that same area? Treasure World hashed the wireless AP (MAC, I think) to generate a repeatable treasure for that location; I'm curious if this game is doing something similar.

JosiahB

I've gotta try this demo sometime soon.

Does anyone know if you can find the same Denpa Man someone else found if you go to that same area? Treasure World hashed the wireless AP (MAC, I think) to generate a repeatable treasure for that location; I'm curious if this game is doing something similar.

My cousin downloaded and played the demo at my house, and she got the same Denpa Men that I got.

I've really enjoyed what I've played of the demo thus far. Beat the Wolf and have done alittle bit of exploring. Stopping now so I can play the whole game with the full version, I'm just happy that finally the 3DS will have an original RPG that looks to be worth playing. Now just to hope the sequel gets a release in a few months as well.

Is anyone going to be doing an OT for this game or is it even worth one for that matter.

Tried the demo and it's really cool. Gives me a Dragon Quest vibe, but obviously distinct enough to not really feel similar beyond typical genre stuff and viewpoint. Will probably get it.

Tyeforce

This game is absolutely amazing, I'm loving it!! I've played the demo for over 7 hours (lots of searching for new Denpa Men, lol), and now I'm starting the full game. Seriously, check this game out!! Download the demo if you're not convinced. It's a fantastic game!! I LOVE how the Denpa Men are uniquely generated by the different Wi-Fi signals around you. It makes me take my 3DS out wherever I go to check for new Denpa Men. XD

zroid

Banned
I LOVE how the Denpa Men are uniquely generated by the different Wi-Fi signals around you. It makes me take my 3DS out wherever I go to check for new Denpa Men. XD

Yeah it's a really clever idea. I thought the gameplay itself was pretty standard, but the concept is just amazing.

pulga

Banned
Is it out yet?

And how does the WiFi thing work? Is there any logic to what Denpa men you get or is it just random?

zroid

Banned
Didn't check yet but it should be out. eShop always updates at noon eastern.

The Denpa Men you get aren't random, per se. There's some algorithm at work to determine which ones you'll find depending on the Wi-fi networks present. I don't think there's any way we'd be able to predict it though.

RM8

I really, really shouldn't buy this at the moment. I'm currently playing through 2 3DS games, a DS game and Kirby's Dream Collection. But I loved the demo and really want to play it... ugh.

Tyeforce

Is it out yet?

And how does the WiFi thing work? Is there any logic to what Denpa men you get or is it just random?
It seems like each Denpa Men is generated by a different Wi-Fi hotspot. So while you won't be able to predict what kind of Denpa Men you'll find in an area, they're not randomly generated, they're based on those hotspots. And anyone else with the game will find the same Denpa Men in the same location, too. So say you have Jimmy, Frankie, and Byron at your house; anyone else with the game could come over and find those exact same Denpa Men there, too. And if you lose one of those Denpa Men, you can always come back to that same location and catch them again.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Are there more impressions of the full game? I dug the demo a lot. I just wanna know how complex the game gets later on before buying it.

This game is absolutely amazing, I'm loving it!! I've played the demo for over 7 hours (lots of searching for new Denpa Men, lol), and now I'm starting the full game. Seriously, check this game out!! Download the demo if you're not convinced. It's a fantastic game!! I LOVE how the Denpa Men are uniquely generated by the different Wi-Fi signals around you. It makes me take my 3DS out wherever I go to check for new Denpa Men. XD

Holy crap, I thought I put enough time in with two hours on the demo. What level did you get to in seven hours?

Loved that when you start up the full game, it starts right where the demo left off. You don't miss anything so there's no need to go back and redo stuff. I support this type of demo behavior.

JosiahB

Holy crap, I thought I put enough time in with two hours on the demo. What level did you get to in seven hours?

Loved that when you start up the full game, it starts right where the demo left off. You don't miss anything so there's no need to go back and redo stuff. I support this type of demo behavior.

Haha, I played the demo for about nine hours. My Denpa Men were around level 11 - 12 (though I spent a lot of time collecting them, too).

Top Bottom