• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Wars 2 Review Thread

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I hope it sells well. Reminds me of 90s RTS.

I've got a horrible feeling it won't sell well, despite reviewing well, and it will be the last time we see HW.

I really hope I'm wrong.

Omni

Am I reading this correctly? Short campaign? How does it compare to the original Halo Wars?

I mean it's an RTS I'm gonna be really disappointed if we're talking sub-10 hours or something omg >:|

I've got a horrible feeling it won't sell well, despite reviewing well, and it will be the last time we see HW.

I really hope I'm wrong.

It isn't lighting up the amazon charts to be fair when at this time it should be in the top 20 so close to release.

Lucifon

Uhmm expected much higher scores (dont know why), mediocore exclusieve.

It's currently tracking at an almost identical average to Halo Wars 1. That's basically what I expected. It's an RTS in the Halo Universe, it's not exactly going to set the world on fire. The genre is already pretty niche these days. A bunch of 8's with the odd lower / higher was what I expected and it looks like that's what it's getting, just like the first.

Am I reading this correctly? Short campaign? How does it compare to the original Halo Wars?

I mean it's an RTS I'm gonna be really disappointed if we're talking sub-10 hours or something omg >:|

Halo Wars 1 was sub-10 hours for me on Heroic. But it did have quite a high replay value with the difficulties, coop and the hidden skulls/black boxes. Hopefully this is similar.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Seems pretty mixed. Good amount of 9s, but some 6s as well. I enjoyed the Blitz Beta a lot, preloading it on my Xbox as I type.

Danny 117

Wasn't exactly expecting 10's for an RTS so i'm pretty pleased with the review scores.

Can't wait to play it at midnight!

$99.99 gets you 100 Blitz packs + 35 Free
$39.99 gets you 40 Blitz packs + 7 Free
$19.99 gets you 20 Blitz packs + 3 Free
$8.99 gets you 9 Blitz packs + 1 Free

Blitz packs pricing

Theorry

PC screens.

HaloWars2_WinAppDX12Final-2017-02-16-02-00-50-785.jpg

HaloWars2_WinAppDX12Final-2017-02-15-23-01-05-797.jpg

HaloWars2_WinAppDX12Final-2017-02-15-23-01-22-567.jpg

HaloWars2_WinAppDX12Final-2017-02-16-00-30-09-158-1.jpg

HaloWars2_WinAppDX12Final-2017-02-15-23-29-25-677-1.jpg

HaloWars2_WinAppDX12Final-2017-02-15-23-54-41-239-1.jpg

fast_taker

NICE! I'll get that ultimate edition then probably to play it over the weekend. Is it already known what'll be in the Season pass? Single Player content or only multiplayer maps?

since you are considering the ultimate edition keep in mind that Halo wars definitive edition comes along for free with the ultimate edition. ;)

In the end of the day, it's an RTS game on console. However you cut it, the control scheme will not be ideal, so the scores around 80% is more or less what I was expecting. Let's see if they allow mouse and Keyboard support soon.

Bulby

Average 8/10 is pretty nice I think.

You always have to knock a point off a console RTS simply because using the controller will always be annoying compared with a mouse and keyboard.

I will be interested to see if PC scores come in higher.

Theorry

Looking good. Anything about PC performance?

Not specific. But the beta ran great and saw some pc livestreams these last days and they said all it was running great.
Its not a really demanding game also. Alot of people run it in 4K.

B3N1

Halo Wars 1 was sub-10 hours for me on Heroic. But it did have quite a high replay value with the difficulties, coop and the hidden skulls/black boxes. Hopefully this is similar.

Replayability was insane. I think I have around 7-8 playthroughs all things considered. The short missions really helped with it, and if you wanted Gold, Achievement, Collectibles, Legendary, Co-Op it was pretty hard to do in one run.

If they keep the same formula and the Campaign is about 6hrs long with a lot of shorter missions, with each having side objectives, I'm fine with it.

Any word about Legendary? Same as HW1?

I'm glad to see in Campaign, UNSC is back to green. Was worried after seeing that they didn't keep the colors for MP.

Eumi

Wow, higher scores than I expected. Which is great, I always felt the series could have gone places.

Chobel

Not specific. But the beta ran great and saw some pc livestreams these last days and they said all it was running great.
Its not a really demanding game also. Alot of people run it in 4K.

Was the campaign playable in beta?

My review is coming later, since I couldn't test out the online yet.

I can say this about the campaign, though. It's short, I beat it in five hours on Normal. Story is easily the worst story in a Halo game ever, but it has a few great missions. Gameplay is pretty great.

Danny 117

What do you mean by that?

You just don't get that 'wow' factor with RTS imo, there's little room for innovation in the gameplay, not to mention being on a console means the control scheme will be criticised.

Nearly 1000 hours of Halo Wars 1 played here and Halo Wars 2 Ultimate pre-ordered, so if it looked like a driveby troll comment, I apologise :)

My review is coming later, since I couldn't test out the online yet.

I can say this about the campaign, though. It's short, I beat it in five hours on Normal. Story is easily the worst story in a Halo game ever, but it has a few great missions. Gameplay is pretty great.

Jeez

You just don't get that 'wow' factor with RTS imo, there's little room for innovation in the gameplay, not to mention being on a console means the control scheme will be criticised.

Nearly 1000 hours of Halo Wars 1 played here and Halo Wars 2 Definitive pre-ordered :p.

We can get it. RTS is not a second rate genre. Its just as valid as something as uncharted or last of us is. There were multiple points in history where certain games shook the strategy world, Total Annihilation, Homeworld, Rise of Nations, Dawn of War, Supreme Commander. You can innovate, but an xbox made strategy game for casual gamers was of course never going to amount to much. Im afraid with the curent state of the gaming world we wont have it, but it is possible

We can get it. RTS is not a second rate genre. Its just as valid as something as uncharted or last of us is. There were multiple points in history where certain games shook the strategy world, Total Annihilation, Homeworld, Rise of Nations, Dawn of War, Supreme Commander. You can innovate, but an xbox made strategy game for casual gamers was of course never going to amount to much. Im afraid with the curent state of the gaming world we wont have it, but it is possible

That was a decade ago. Outside of mobile games there have been what, one or maybe two RTS games that managed to hit a 90 metacritic rating in the ten years since Company of Heroes?

Danny 117

I'm a big Halo fan, but the story here missed the mark in a lot of ways. It's offset by some great setpieces and missions, though. Last mission in particular is awesome.

That is so disappointing to hear. Is there any way they could redeem it with DLC campaign missions?

Hmmmmm if they dripfeed us story content to possibly tide us over to Halo 6, with a few hints as to where the story is going.... I don't mind too much.
I have no idea if this is their intention or not. The ending to the game definitely allows for it, though.

Novocaine

I have no idea if this is their intention or not. The ending to the game definitely allows for it, though.

In the details of the season pass it says that there will be more campaign missions to expand the story so it sounds like that's the likely scenario here. Of course we will have to wait and see.

That was a decade ago. Outside of mobile games there have been what, one or maybe two RTS games that managed to hit a 90 metacritic rating in the ten years since Company of Heroes?

Because RTS died soon after COH, after 2007 ;-) Died as in it was the biggest genre on PC up to that point, with hundreds of games released every year. Then suddenly no more money to make them from publishers ( Anno 1701 was more expensive than Gears of War and Supreme Commander cost as much money as Crysis); in the newly formed console world by PS360, this PC exclusive genre stoped having a place in the mindset of that era, where pc was dying, was not making any money outside of mmos and 95% were pirates.

And sometimes the game is so profound, so elitist that regular game journos are simply out of their depth. Supreme Commander for example is the best RTS game bar none and one of the highest achievements gaming has ever produced. Yet is asks so much of players and its so cold and elitist to everyone but the most hardened players that it didnt achieve the rating is deserved. Its standalone expansion was better in every conceivable way, but journos rated it even lower, because you need to go indepth and be very experienced in the genre to actually get it. Its not enough to just casually rush through it.

Its hard for a strategy game these days. But as i said, it CAN happen.

As a person who is buying the game for the mp most of these reviews are meaningless to me. It is clear from many of the reviews that they had no clue how to properly play the first ones mp. Also some reviewers are coming off as elitists who just look at the surface and say the game is too casual.

Edit:anyone who thinks select all units is an actual legitimate strategy for mp clearly isn't able to micro properly or doesn't want to be a top ranked player

Chobel

Open beta was Blitz only.

How busy is Blitz mode compared to campaign (AI, Units...)? Is it more demanding graphically? If Blitz mode is more demanding overall and it's stable on PC, that should mean campaign mode should also be be stable on PC.

pitchfork

Just pulled the trigger on the Ultimate Edition. 64 quid ain't bad compared to some of the premium editions out there, and i'm gonna need more of that campaign - Hoping for some 'Banished' story DLC down the line

Top Bottom