• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For February 2017 [Up1: For Honor highest LTD game of 2017 so far]

LordRaptor

Premature less so and more so expected I would say. Pro always seemed like an additional revenue source for Sony imo

Many people were sceptical of the PS4Pro prior to launch, but seemingly many were also convinced that demand was supply constrained.
I'm wondering if it is too early to call it a niche product and not a product line refresh, and if so what implications that will have for the Scorpio.

MS really, really mishandled the Halo IP in the generation transition.

Or

Half the Halo/Gears fanbase bought PS4s to play superior versions of all other shooters.

Good for Ubisoft. Ghost Recon gonna eat in March. Hopefully they announce a new Splinter Cell soon. Just make it less open world than MGS5 and it'll do fine.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Nioh in the top 10 without digital is the highlight, but other than that yeah, that's another great Q1 for Ubisoft.

Feb 2016 : Far Cry Primal
Mar 2016 : The Division

Feb 2017 : For Honor
Mar 2017 : Ghost Recon Wildlands

I'm expecting another great one in 2018 too.

They have three unannounced AAA games for the rest of the fiscal year, and I imagine two of those will slot in February and March again.

Electret

Given that PS4 was the best selling console, that ARP and units are both down, and there is no stock shortage of the PS4 Pro, is it premature to say that there is less demand for a more powerful PS4 SKU than for a cheaper one?

Of course. Pro accounted for 18.5% of PS4 sales averaged between Nov and Dec.

As for stock shortages, anecdotally the Pro seems very hard to come by in some territories like SE Asia.

MS really, really mishandled the Halo IP in the generation transition.

Or

Half the Halo/Gears fanbase bought PS4s to play superior versions of all other shooters.

Good for Ubisoft. Ghost Recon gonna eat in March. Hopefully they announce a new Splinter Cell soon. Just make it less open world than MGS5 and it'll do fine.
Nothing plays like Gears.

gtj1092

I'm confused aren't ps4 and x1 also up MOM? If not this year is going to be terrible for sales.

Given that PS4 was the best selling console, that ARP and units are both down, and there is no stock shortage of the PS4 Pro, is it premature to say that there is less demand for a more powerful PS4 SKU than for a cheaper one?

We have sales from the holiday and common sense to already tell us this.

3 of the top 10 selling games of 2017 so far are titles that all released 9+ months ago. Overwatch, Siege, and GTAV.

Goes to show how important Games as a Service are becoming and how important it is to continually updated and keep your community invested

I think the downside of this is that it just retains customers and sucks money out the market for new games and hardware sales. Reading that back though I guess it's good for large publishers.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Seeing Nioh in that top 10 is fantastic. Can't wait to go back to it once I'm done with Zelda. Goty so far for me.

N7.Angel

There games are all pretty much 70 and above
The division has an 80
Watch dogs 2 has 82
For honor has 78
Wildlands 76

Like I said everytime, if only Ubisoft would take more time to polish and make better gameplay, they could be the number 1 gaming studio easily with all their diversity in IP's and settings.

Da Fro

MS not releasing digital data is a bad move. I would guess a lot of people who bought Halo Wars 2 bought it digital. I know I did.

Cess007

I don't think there will be enough Switch units out there to make that happen.

I guess it depends how well it does on Wii U. But Wildlands will likely be well over 1 million

That's incredibly unlikely given that Ghost Recon is multiplatform and has sold outrageously well since release in other markets whereas Zelda will be heavily tied to just how much Switch HW Nintendo was able to ship to the US for launch as I doubt it will sell any meaningful amount of copies on WiiU.

You're both right.

Maybe the positive reception of Zelda blinded me a little there. If Wildlands actually made anything near 1m, then it would be #1 for sure.

Like I said everytime, if only Ubisoft would take more time to polish and make better gameplay, they could be the number 1 gaming studio easily with all their diversity in IP's and settings.
Yup it's never like terrible either it's always something I feel they could polish up in a couple months they just won't

Mooreberg

Uncharted 4 bundle made that clear in the fall. Three years in, pricing is what attracts the non-enthusiast crowds.

Man Ubisoft just killing it with these games GAF (and critics) don't give a shit about. Gotta respect that market research.
I stopped paying attention to reviews in favor of video coverage a while ago, but people can only review what is made available to them relative to the embargo lifting. Day one patches, content updates, etc are a bit out of that scope. I just reinstalled The Division on external HDD last night and the patch is 13GB. That is a game's worth of data in some cases (Farcry Primal is 12GB) that wasn't there day one. If the $59.99 retail release is RC1, reviews can end up reflecting it. Besides Skyrim, for some reason.

You're both right.

Maybe the positive reception of Zelda blinded me a little there. If Wildlands actually made anything near 1m, then it would be #1 for sure.

I mean you never know, maybe the Wii U version does surprisingly well, but yeah Switch will likely be somewhere in the 700-800k range and even with a high attach rate it probably won't pass Ghost Recon

JayEH

The west is going to have to continue to be wary of Japan I see.

mjlol.png

blakep267

They'll never be #1 as long as EA has FIFA annualky(and madden to a lesser extent)

Nothing plays like Gears.

I think we're past the point where people care. By all means the One has done far better than the Wii U (and slightly better than the 360 launch aligned) in North America but you wouldn't know it from Halo/Gears sales (compared to exclusives on those platforms).

While they're in a good place with third party games, MS has to be a little concerned that the only recent first party title to overachieve was Horizon 3.

Not terrible, but 78 on Metacritic is considered "meh" these days

Not really, aren't scores trending downwards over time?

78 is described as good on every major review site.

labaronx

I'm expecting another great one in 2018 too.

They have three unannounced AAA games for the rest of the fiscal year, and I imagine two of those will slot in February and March again.

Next far cry im assuming, Ubisoft and sony both seem to enjoy success in beginning of years, have any other publishers tried to duplicate that success in the early months

Urthor

Are we seeing a plateau in the AAA game market though?

26% drop on Steam is massive, beginning to look like the "AAAA" games as a service experience like Destiny, esports titles like League of Legends, that aren't captured by NPD because they accumulate a lot of revenue for a single title via in title purchases are crunching the retail game market, online and offline.

Really feeds into a potential squeeze on PC revenues and stalling of engagement in that platform by developers if they don't see it as a growth space, but long term it doesn't make the future for console platforms and the AAA games we all love and enjoy that rely on that ecosystem look too rosy.

If we're seeing the end of the video game industry boom years, in 10 years the story will increasingly stop being about the AAA game experiences, and it'd be a real pity if the story of Clash of Clans becomes the new norm for gaming in the 21st century when I'm raising my kids.

Are we seeing a plateau in the AAA game market though?

26% drop on Steam is massive, beginning to look like the "AAAA" games as a service experience like Destiny, esports titles like League of Legends, that aren't captured by NPD because they accumulate a lot of revenue for a single title via in title purchases are crunching the retail game market, online and offline.

Really feeds into a potential squeeze on PC revenues and stalling of engagement in that platform by developers if they don't see it as a growth space, but long term it doesn't make the future for console platforms and the AAA games we all love and enjoy that rely on that ecosystem look too rosy.

If we're seeing the end of the video game industry boom years, in 10 years the story will increasingly stop being about the AAA game experiences, and it'd be a real pity if the story of Clash of Clans becomes the new norm for gaming in the 21st century when I'm raising my kids.

This is normal. It's just simply the current generation slowing down. Its actually slowing down at pretty much the same time most gens do, last gen was an outlier. There's nothing to really worry about.

Also next month will be up YoY in both software and hardware

I wish I could've contributed to Nioh Charting in the top ten. But sadly it was sold out at retail, so I imagine many like myself bought it digitally.

Congrats, for being such an amazing game.

Nasbin

No offence to For Honor fans, but it being number one so far this year makes me pretty sad when so many awesome games were already released.

I can't understand this attitude at all. For Honor is by far the most interesting and unique AAA game put by Ubisoft in years, with a ton of potential in the vein of R6: Siege. We should be celebrating its success.

For Honor is the best selling game so far this year?! I was positive that game was going to be a complete bomba. What an age for predictions.

Im excited for the next assassin's creed game for first time in a while since they are spending more time in the oven with it.

Cool at least the #1 game can be played single player even if its a relatively simple

Very pleased to see Nioh place, amazing game.

Top Bottom