• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TEKKEN 7 |OT| How I killed your mother

Perineum

I ended up getting flustered with playing Josie as of late, and felt maybe I have learned enough about the game since release to try Bryan not just in the lab, but in a real fight outside of the AI.

Won some games and didn't lose any before my session was done.

The problem with this game is 99% of the cast is cool as fuck and characters I would love to play and main. Props to Harada and his team though, because there is no other fighter that is the case for me. I usually pick up one or two characters, and that's that. It's also the first fighter I haven't been stuck playing the "big" characters in order to be successful.

Anyone get an error like this on PC? I'll be playing and the screen just goes black then I need to restart the PC and then I get this error. It only happens with Tekken 7 no other games.

lIgZyUi.jpg

What is your graphics card? Try uninstalling drivers and installing new ones. Google gives several search results for this message concerning different games but that seems to often fix it

Nuszka

What Squirrel said, this dude always finds a reason to complain, and he mentioned the obvious before getting in to ranked "i will enjoy this run if i don't get any laggy games" or something like that. I only fallow him as i enjoy watching him loose to other players.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Numb as a olive branch for the block of wood to return Ibooty must be the next guest character. What say you?

Alisa is already in the game for robot fetishists to fap over. We don't need Tekken to go the way of Dead or Alive.

I'm currently being sustained by the constant crying of Anna fans on twitter that their waifu isn't in the game. FeelsGoodMan.

Spuck-uk

Banned
What Squirrel said, this dude always finds a reason to complain, and he mentioned the obvious before getting in to ranked "i will enjoy this run if i don't get any laggy games" or something like that. I only fallow him as i enjoy watching him loose to other players.

My man

Sayad

2B would be great, and fitting with Nier:A composer doing a lot of Tekken tracks, dude been there since Tekken 2. ;p

2B isn't a villain though so I doubt it would happen, just give Alissa a 2B alt.

NEO0MJ

Alisa is already in the game for robot fetishists to fap over. We don't need Tekken to go the way of Dead or Alive.

I'm currently being sustained by the constant crying of Anna fans on twitter that their waifu isn't in the game. FeelsGoodMan.

I don't care about Anna now that I have my new waifu Kazumi.

Any news yet about legacy characters or costumes?

To be honest, I bought the collector's edition, got the platinum trophy in 2 days and haven't played it much since.
The first DLC announcement was a huge disappointment for me. :/

AAK

Gosh just ducking jab strings into a ws punish is impossible online. Will they please fix this?

Haha this is so true. Unless I know it's coming reacting to them screws me over incessantly. Was death matching an Alisa player yesterday and trying to duck and punish her ws+1,2,3 string on reaction led to me getting counter hit by the 3 80% of the time.

Tis' the game we play.

I still get connection lost for nearly 60% of the people I get paired against but matchmaking is definitely faster so it's not that unbearable.

The input lag & loading times are still my number 1 qol peeves for this game.

This is the most boring part about Tekken. Why would K-Bob throw out that nonsense?

Man, this game could totally use a tutorial or at the very least an auto-scrolling command list when playing.

Really want to learn characters but it's a chore - I just try to find their launcher, binds and best frame intiators with any h/l mixups.

Like above, watching an hour long tutorial for a character is kinda crazy.

Whatever it takes to win.

I agree and despite being a fan of Tekken for over a decade. I struggle to get anything out of hour long tutorials. Which is why I made this tutorial for Ling Xiaoyu. Learn a Tekken character in 10 minutes or less!

Xiaometry: How To Play Ling Xiaoyu (7:17)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7F2bg73HoSE

Lol that was YOU? Lol. I see that video on steam all the time.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Ridiculous.

Kazumi is wooden,robotic and boring.Anna is a classic Tekken character and a part of a duality with Nina.

Anna started as a palette swap of Nina with worse hair and more 'slutty'. She has failed to become interesting since.

It's not surprising she's not in 7

sasuke_91

This is the most boring part about Tekken. Why would K-Bob throw out that nonsense?

It was a constant back and forth with both players dashing in and back again, so Speedkicks wanted to start his offense with a running 3 which was spaced pretty damn well actually. Anakin's timing with the sidestep was on point though and Speed got deathfisted to death.

I don't really know why this is boring to you as this doesn't really happen all that often in T7 (TTT2 was a lot worse with players turtling around, lots of time-outs as well).

GrayFoxPL

I strongly smell that the next dlc character is either VF Akira(60%) or Jacky(40%). Assuming that this is already decided. Kiryu would be great pick if not but if you're gonna make the character deal with Sega, why not go with the legend, the ultimate clash - VF vs Tekken.

Skilletor

I strongly smell that the next dlc character is either VF Akira(60%) or Jacky(40%). Assuming that this is already decided. Kiryu would be great pick if not but if you're gonna make the character deal with Sega, why not go with the legend, the ultimate clash - VF vs Tekken.

I doubt they're going to use characters that are both in DoA. They'd want them to be fresh as possible. Kiryu, imo, would be more likely than any of the VF characters in DoA.

GrayFoxPL

I doubt they're going to use characters that are both in DoA. They'd want them to be fresh as possible. Kiryu, imo, would be more likely than any of the VF characters in DoA.

DOA also scored KOF/FF character. The pattern is here. As much as I'd like it, Kiryu probably wont be in. I think only characters from fighting games will count. If not then shit like Pacman and Sonic could be considered but hopefully not.

It was a constant back and forth with both players dashing in and back again, so Speedkicks wanted to start his offense with a running 3 which was spaced pretty **** well actually. Anakin's timing with the sidestep was on point though and Speed got deathfisted to death.

I don't really know why this is boring to you as this doesn't really happen all that often in T7 (TTT2 was a lot worse with players turtling around, lots of time-outs as well).

LOL!!!! I spend most of my time chasing turtles running away on PC. I end up having to throw so many people.

The only exception to this are pressure pokers like Josie and Nina.|

I have no idea how to deal with Eliza. Any tips?

She is most effective at midrange so stay in her face.

Skilletor

DOA also scored KOF/FF character. The pattern is here. As much as I'd like it, Kiryu probably wont be in. I think only characters from fighting games will count. If not then shit like Pacman and Sonic could be considered but hopefully not.

But...it's a different KoF character. They didn't put Mai in Tekken, lol.

Moments like these worry me. Tekken players can appreciate this feat, but spectators will change the channel. Tekken at the top level is absolutely flooded with Mayweather type players that need to be dealt with before they kill the game.
... Lol that was YOU? Lol. I see that video on steam all the time.
Yes, it is not geometry it is Xiaometry! My goal is not to be the best Xiao player, but to storm the world with Xiaoyu players! Love her or hate her, she is the spectacle Tekken needs to succeed.

Chavelo

Moments like these worry me. Tekken players can appreciate this feat, but spectators will change the channel. Tekken at the top level is absolutely flooded with Mayweather type players that need to be dealt with before they kill the game.

Nah, they won't kill the game. Calm down.

Please let it be this guy instead.
iphJp8L.png

1 - It would piss off all 5 Lei players out there.
2 - It's sort of like getting Lei and Wang in the same character.
3 - It would be the only time I would be tempted to switching mains away from Yoshi
4 - It would be amazing to see how they factor in his "drunk" points mechanic
5 - Drunken Kung Fu - Best Kung Fu. Shun Di was my "Yoshi away from home" character
6 - We need a new VF already. Maybe a solid representation in Tekken would inspire a new game

MechaX

I tried to practice the backdash cancelling yesterday and this morning, and holy hell, I don't know if I'll ever be able to move like that. The motion just seems absolutely impossible for me to do on stick given how I hold it (between middle and ring fingers).

And I thought that wavedashing in Melee was hard to eventually get down consistently.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
I tried to practice the backdash cancelling yesterday and this morning, and holy hell, I don't know if I'll ever be able to move like that. The motion just seems absolutely impossible for me to do on stick given how I hold it (between middle and ring fingers).

And I thought that wavedashing in Melee was hard to eventually get down consistently.

I had the same problem when I first started practicing KBD because I held the stick the same way. I've actually adjusted the way I hold my stick now to be able to do it (badly). This is a long video, and Nin's using a bat-top, but it gives you an idea of how to hold the stick and do a continuous motion that won't tire your arm out as much. 1P and 2P sides are also really different in what you need to do. It definitely takes a long time to get used to, and you'll want to try it in real matches because it's a whole new ball game compared to doing so in practice mode.

I wouldn't let the KBD stuff keep you from enjoying the rest of the game though. The movement is super important, but it'll come with more experience while playing.

Are you playing Gundam Versus?

AAK

Aside from Tekken 4, every entry in the series since TTT1 was designed where Mayweather strategies were always the strongest. When you're playing to win that's the optimal way. If that's what drives people away then it's a clear case of hate the game, not the player.

Kumubou

I wouldn't worry about backdash canceling at that speed -- very few people can do it at the speed Anakin is doing it at. Hell, look at that GIF, even Speedkicks isn't moving at that speed.

Having good movement in Tekken is important, but there are a lot of other things people need to work on, especially if you really do want to play at that level.

GrayFoxPL

But...it's a different KoF character. They didn't put Mai in Tekken, lol.

But it shows SNK was willing to share it's characters before Tekken. If they shared Mai and saw that it worked then sharing Geese wasn't probably difficult decision. Sega besides DOA also shared Akira in 2D mashup game. I'm just pointing out these companies are willing to put their fg characters out there that's why I said I think Akira or Jacky is close.

Yudoken

2B would be great, and fitting with Nier:A composer doing a lot of Tekken tracks, dude been there since Tekken 2. ;p

2B isn't a villain though so I doubt it would happen, just give Alissa a 2B alt.

Give 2B outfit to Elisa, that's a perfekt fitted for her.

Majima (or at least Kiryu) has to be the last dlc character.

Aside from Tekken 4, every entry in the series since TTT1 was designed where Mayweather strategies were always the strongest. When you're playing to win that's the optimal way. If that's what drives people away then it's a clear case of hate the game, not the player.

I miss Tekken 4's uneven surfaces and objects in the middle of stages so much!

Tekken 7.0 answered the Mayweather strategies, but the high level player base cried so much it was pathetic. Calling the game trash because they couldn't defensively dominate 90% of the cast. Fortunately the knob wasn't completely turned back, so there is hope for the Tekken 7 we have now.

Eventually, Harada will have to remove high execution movement once and for all. Pretty much any veteran Tekken player you talk too has had some sort of hand injury. Usually it is pad players who have to play stick because they messed up their hand (Me, RIP, etc). Unless Harada finds our doctor stories just as humorous as doctors themselves did,
Doctor "What seems to be the problem"
Tekken Player "I think I hurt my hand playing a video game"

MechaX

Are you playing Gundam Versus?

Had IRL shit come up at launch, but I actually ordered a copy from Amazon a few hours ago that should be arriving at some point this week.

I wouldn't worry about backdash canceling at that speed -- very few people can do it at the speed Anakin is doing it at. Hell, look at that GIF, even Speedkicks isn't moving at that speed.

Having good movement in Tekken is important, but there are a lot of other things people need to work on, especially if you really do want to play at that level.

That's good to hear, because imagining someone doing that kind of stick movement on a consistent basis, let alone in a tournament setting, is still crazy to me.

Spuck-uk

Banned

Neither of those characters would be hype for 90% plus of fighting game players. Hell I had to explain to some people who Geese is, and he's iconic.

Also both their fighting styles are in the game already, I don't think they add much

...Goh Hinagami would be sick but it'll never happen

sasuke_91

LOL!!!! I spend most of my time chasing turtles running away on PC. I end up having to throw so many people.

The only exception to this are pressure pokers like Josie and Nina.|
I was talking about high level Tekken, where, in my opinion, turtling has become less of an issue. Players have a more "in your face" playstyle now compared to TTT2.

Red Fire

Ok guys so how do i deal with fucking GIGAS

My brother learned to play him and he just destroyed all of my characters. His jabs are super fast, and his damage is insane. Also his low punches are fast too, almost no reaction time. Once he launches me i lose half of my life. His throws are annoying. Sometimes his punches seem to have no end and i can't block forever since he will go low then. He is a huge pain in the ass.

His rage drive is weird too but i just learned that i have to watch which hand he uses to react with either ducking or blocking.

Ok guys so how do i deal with fucking GIGAS

My brother learned to play him and he just destroyed all of my characters. His jabs are super fast, and his damage is insane. Also his low punches are fast too, almost no reaction time. Once he launches me i lose half of my life. His throws are annoying. Sometimes his punches seem to have no end and i can't block forever since he will go low then. He is a huge pain in the ass.

His rage drive is weird too but i just learned that i have to watch which hand he uses to react with either ducking or blocking.

Pressure Gigas and there's not much he can do to fight you back. You can move and he can't. You can sidestep and he can't. "Endless punches" isn't really a thing. He's at disadvantage on almost everything he does. He has some delayable strings that might throw you off guard until you recognize them, but they are punishable. His jab is really good, and his best tool. But it's a linear and high move like every other jab in the game. Deal with it accordingly.

Don't throw out unsafe stuff willy nilly against Gigas since a great deal of his damage will come from punishment. And break that dang 1+2 throw!

Kumubou

Tekken 7.0 answered the Mayweather strategies, but the high level player base cried so much it was pathetic. Calling the game trash because they couldn't defensively dominate 90% of the cast. Fortunately the knob wasn't completely turned back, so there is hope for the Tekken 7 we have now.

Eventually, Harada will have to remove high execution movement once and for all. Pretty much any veteran Tekken player you talk too has had some sort of hand injury. Usually it is pad players who have to play stick because they messed up their hand (Me, RIP, etc). Unless Harada finds our doctor stories just as humorous as doctors themselves did,
Part of me wonders if the "best" solution would be to put some kind of limit on when backdashes and sidesteps can be canceled (more of a limit on sidesteps, then). VF4 and 5 have enforced limits on canceling that sort of movement and while it definitely shows up in-game (with differences between mid level and high level movement being much less drastic than it is in Tekken), the core systems would still be left intact.

On the flip side, I haven't heard of any VF players blowing their wrists and hands out over the game (insert joke about how no one plays VF HERE), whereas the only game worse than Tekken in that regard is either Smash Meele or some music-rhythm games like Beatmania IIDX.

I guess the biggest issue is that the time spent on "proper" KBDCs would be worth a lot less now, but it's probably for their own good. :X

CSX

Qudans was the opposite. all that DVJ wavedashing combined with KBDC in the T5DR arcades gave him carpel tunnel. A month before entering his last US tournament, his hands were so fucked up that he had to start from scratch learning how to play on pad. Still won the tournament lol . He still knows how to play on pad too. He streamed himself doing so during launch week of console release.

If I play long sessions as mishimas, my left thumb starts to wear down andat worst starts to feel like i strained it. Spero Gin has the right idea of using lube on his thumbs and he plays Paul and Eddy!

kofi.JPG

Kazuya players around the world

They're too busy getting d+1+2, d/b+4, d/b+3 and his generics d+3/d+4 getting low parried

Yep. Just twin pistons and CHs from d/f+2 or ws+2. Keepout with f+3, rhythm hell sweeps. Throws. Some folks even eat b+1+4 on wakeup, lol.

Perineum

I would love to see KBDC go away. While I enjoy watching Gods like Knee, JDCR, and Saint make use of it it isn't what impresses me and makes me appreciate their level of play. It's their patience, their execution, their spacing, amazing whiff punishing from spacing, etc that makes it great. Sure add in KBDC to create that adds that cherry on top, but if the game just let you infinitely back dash by doing a back dash repeatedly as if it were a KBDC it wouldn't hurt high level play at all.

Unlike in SF where they got rid of 1 frame links which did make me appreciate that game much more at a higher level.

Does anyone think otherwise?

I got my Bryan to Grand Master today. It was not a fun ride. I think I played 25+ matches and in that time 90% of them people would win quit or lose quit out. No one wants run backs and it makes me rage fucking hard. Some guy does some gimmick ass shit on round 2 or final round, and I don't adapt quick enough so if I got one more set then boom download would be complete.

I would gladly give up infinite rematches (no one does them from what I have played except 2 guys in the 100 some opponents I have taken on since it came out), for a forced best of 3. That way I would learn more, and rage less when someone beats me because then I know they out played me and not just took the points and ran.

---------

Question about Lee/Violet. I was trying him out due to his infinite swag, but he seems like he is high execution with no real benefit. Low damage, meh mix ups, etc. Is there something I am missing about what makes him good or not?

Top Bottom