• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 28, 2017 (Jul 10 - Jul 16)

Thanks for the data guys. If Splatoon can do this I think it would be an even bigger achievement as it has to sell more units off the bat. Next week will be exciting for sure.

L~A

If Hey! Pikmin sells well during Summer holiday, doesn't drop off a cliff after that, and has good sales during end of year period, should be able to sell at least 200-250k LTD. Which would be a pretty respectable number, for a spin-off.

Good sales for what is the most unpopular mainline entry in the series post FF4 (yes even FFXIII is more popular. It didn't outsell FFXII but I think has a bigger fanbase than XII could garner)

Decent performance for FF12, but an embarrassing one for Ever Oasis. Not that I entirely can fault the public for it. I entirely forgot it was releasing that week.

How likely is PS4 going to beat PS3 LTD?

Any other 3rd party heavyweights in future?
I fear that this'll depend on how long the PS4's life span is. It's not impossible though. The PS3 had a few things working against it, like missing out on Dragon Quest and Monster Hunter. It also had several of its biggest titles either be cross-gen (Phantom Pain, Persona 5, etc), or miss the PS3 entirely (FF15, Last Guardian, etc). Home consoles are in a weird place in Japan though. The hard- and software sales aren't negligible, but for large chunks of the year, there's very little can make a dent in the charts.

LordKano

How likely is PS4 going to beat PS3 LTD?

Any other 3rd party heavyweights in future?

What significant release is there after DQXI and before Kingdom Hearts 3 ? Since Yakuza is seemingly not getting a new game this year, I fail to see what could keep the PS4 afloat this fall.

I don't think it'll reach 6m anymore.
Well I do think it can, especially after the Holidays. But we will see.

Also I think FFX HD opened to only like 15K on the Ps4 so with that in mind FFXII numbers look even more impressive
Ehh.. this is a flawed comparison considering FFX HD received a release on PS3/PSV years before releasing again on the PS4. The original remaster was one of the best selling remaster with more than half million copies sold across PS3/PSV so there wasn't much to entice new buys for PS4.

starmud

Poor ever oasis... it at least deserved its own launch window from Nintendo. The west will have to correct this wrong ;.;

Pikmin performed better than I expected though, for having no handheld history and being a spin off it's a good first week number.

Well I do think it can, especially after the Holidays. But we will see.

Ehh.. this is a flawed comparison considering FFX HD received a release on PS3/PSV years before releasing again on the PS4. The original remaster was one of the best selling remaster with more than half million copies sold across PS3/PSV so there wasn't much to entice new buys for PS4.

Agreed but 15K was way lower than I expected FFX HD to do at the time. Guess they did really oversaturate it.

marmoka

Banned
Really surprised with the 3DS bump. I didn't expect the New 2DS, Pikmin and Ever Oasis would be so beneficial for the handheld.

Surprised FFXII didn't bump the PS4 much.

And the storm is coming...

marmoka

Banned
Switch vs 3DS
switch.jpg

Great sales for Switch, but Nintendo needs to move on and kill the 3DS now.

L~A

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Road to 1 million

Switch: 537 027 units
Wii U: 133 024 units (several missing weeks)
Combined: 670 051 units (+ missing weeks for Wii U)
Weeks left: 24
Units left: 329 949 (so 13 747 units/week)

13ruce

Banned

Can't it sell/pass a million later? I can see it also hit a million in a couple of years if it does not hit this year. There is only like 1 million Switches in japan now.

u_neek

Oh yeah I don't know why I forgot this one. Early 2018, right ? Still missing something major for this fall.
There's GT Sport and Everybody's Golf plus a few Western titles and smaller Japanese exclusives that could do well. No heavy hitters by any means, but enough to keep the PS4 afloat until MHW releases.

zelas

People buying Switch for the Splatoon 2 launch knowing full well they won't have time for other games
Third parties sure would have liked to see bigger numbers weeks ago. I bet they're hoping splatoon doesn't suck all of the air out of the room for too long.

LordKano

There's GT Sport and Everybody's Golf plus a few Western titles and smaller Japanese exclusives that could do well. No heavy hitters by any means, but enough to keep the PS4 afloat until MHW releases.

Hm I'm not too confident in GT Sports chances to succeed, feel like it should have released a year ago.

Almost 3 months in it was over 1 million sold with the GCN having sold 1.15m. Not sure what it sold at 4 months in, but I can't imagine it was too different.

Melee was insane, Splatoon 2 could repeat those legendary sales, it depends on how many he will be available in the following weeks

Chuck in a 50k "guesstimate" for digital and and I'm sure it'll make it this year with christmas sales

Poor Ever Oasis...

I hope DQXI does really well. I don't know why as release approaches I have this uncomfortable feeling that it'll underperform. At least it's boosting PS4 sales.

L~A

The funny thing about Knack is that, despite SOny giving it for free, it was also sold separately, and so a few hundred people actually ended up buying a game they were already receiving for free :')

zeromcd73

How does Hey Pikmin sales look compared to other games in the series? I cant find the sales for Pikmin 2

[NGC] Pikmin 2 - 161.930 / 483.027
[WIIU] Pikmin 3 - 102.188 / 232.313
[NGC] Pikmin - 101.299 / 502.996
[WII] New Play Control! Pikmin - 48.229 / 170.866
[WII] New Play Control! Pikmin 2 - 28.256 / 237.064

Is it too crazy to say that if Pikmin 4 releases for Switch it'll be the best selling one?

Interesting that NPC Pikmin 2 sold more than NPC Pikmin despite the original Pikmin 2 selling less than the original Pikmin. Wonder what's up with that.

MoonFrog

Poor Ever Oasis...

I hope DQXI does really well. I don't know why as release approaches I have this uncomfortable feeling that it'll underperform. At least it's boosting PS4 sales.
Idk. I think with 3DS in the picture it really won't. 3DS can still push Pokemon to 3+ million. It has a healthy enough install base for mass market titles.

If it were PS4 only...yes, I'd think it'd be a feat to reach 2 million when DQ tends to sell between 2.5 and 4 million.

I think DQs got this. ~1 million PS4 and ~2 million 3DS is already successful. I think it can beat that, on both counts.

Toth

It is a great result considering Japan as it is more of a western oriented game. The game will sell better in the West.

The original did sell more in Japan than it did in the West. Just goes to show you that a very impressive remaster still can't see more than 200k in the Japanese console market :(

maxcriden

Came to post this. Thank you!

Is it too crazy to say that if Pikmin 4 releases for Switch it'll be the best selling one?

Not at all. It should have a decent shot. BTW, it's not if but when as I believe it was reconfirmed recently.

L~A

OG 2DS sold 18 754 units during its launch week last year, so N2DSXL is indeed off to a good start.

That being said, that was in mid-September for the 2DS, so a direct comparison isn't really all that fair... especially since it released alongside some Nintendo Selects, while the N2DSXL had Hey! Pikmin (+ Ever Oasis), and more importantly DQXI just around the corner.

Top Bottom