• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time demo available for US Plus members

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
It's fun. Sanzaru's managed to make it their own without taking away the things that made Sly fun. I'm slightly bothered by the way you pick up coins though. It feels odd. And I hate how the binoculars work. It doesn't make sense to make the right stick move while the left stick is zoom.

Totally disagree. Binoculars in a platformer that finally work like they should.

VanWinkle

Loved the demo. I don't want to play it anymore though until the game comes out EXCEPT when the Vita demo comes out next week. Then I'll play it once on that and compare the two.

Raven77

Never played a SLY game but always wanted too.

Idk, they always seem like they didn't know if they wanted to be a 3D platformer or a simple adventure game like Ratchet and Clank.

Idk, thats just my (probably innacurate) assumption of the game based purely on screens and movies.

VanWinkle

Never played a SLY game but always wanted too.

Idk, they always seem like they didn't know if they wanted to be a 3D platformer or a simple adventure game like Ratchet and Clank.

Idk, thats just my (probably innacurate) assumption of the game based purely on screens and movies.

Then why don't you try the demo? It gives you a pretty good indication of the gameplay.

Duffyside

Banned
Why do they insist that we play as the hippo and the turtle? That's never been fun.

I thought Bentley was the best part. Murray is awful though. I mean, he should be pulled from the game.

My impressions, if anyone cares;

+ I was impressed with how well they told the story. I often zone out when there's lots of blabbing going on, and I don't care about Sly that much, but for some reason I heard every word of narration, and found it somewhat compelling, which really surprised me. I think they have an awesome hook for this game with the time-travel aspect, which will lead to some really varied environments.

+ I LOVE the way this game looks. Still don't get the people who remark that it doesn't look good. It might not be pushing the most polygons, but neither did Journey. This game is colorful and everything pops.

+ Think I will really enjoy the pick-pocketing mechanic. Hope it comes up a bit in the game, with hopefully some player agency, not forced to always happen to complete the level.

+ I think it's awesome to have a disabled character in a game, especially a platformer. And Bentley's level was the most fun in the demo, by far. There was even a twin-stick minigame for the hacking which I wasn't expecting.

+ On that note, instead of a shitty puzzle game, you get to play a twin-stick shooter for your hacking minigame. That's a nice touch.

+ There's this pretty rad moment when you're sneaking along the top of the museum, and a bunch of characters are silhouetted through a big balcony window, and you can BARELY hear them talking, and there are no subtitles for it, and they're clearly up to no good and... man, I was just really impressed with this for some reason. I would've expected subtitles and for them to beat you over the head with "these are X and Y character, and here's what they're saying!" Though the silhouettes are so detailed I'm betting at least two of them will be easily identifiable once they're introduced elsewhere.

- Sly Cooper gameplay. Throwchairatkidindesk.gif? I know this is probably a plus for most of you, but I don't like the way Sly plays. What kind of platformer has "press the button while in the air to automatically land on the spot"? What a joke. This is why Bentley's section was SO SUPERIOR; actual challenging platforming. Combat also stinks, which is fine for Sly with his stealthiness, but makes Murray a total waste. Oh, and Sly has the worst, most useless double-jump in the history of video games. Murray too. It's unbelievable that it's even in the game. My only hope is that there is an upgrade that makes it useful, as for right now it has no purpose, other than to pointlessly make you climb up certain ledges. There is no discernible height or length-of-jump increase. I MEASURED.

- The music is awful. It's true-to-form, like the gameplay, so congrats to you guys, but if I never hear another wailing horn blasting loudly in my ear I'll be a happy man. In a world where every game has an amazing soundtrack, this stands out harshly to me.

- It's too linear. After having played Dishonored, as I stood on a tight rope looking at the beautiful museum, I could not help but wonder how great the game would be if I could approach and enter the museum from the front, from the balcony, from the roof, or from the sewers. Nope, only one path. Can you imagine how awesome this beautiful cartoony platformer would be if it had open-world, open-ended gameplay? *DROOL*

- Smashing boxes, plants, whatever and collecting bouncing coins is immensely tedious. I hope that has no real purpose, because it got old real quick. They should patch it so they auto-collect, or just freaking get rid of the coins entirely. Blegh.

+++ IT'S FORTY FUCKING DOLLARS WITH CROSS-BUY AND IF WE DON'T SUPPORT THIS GAME WE'RE PART OF THE PROBLEM YOPO

Thank you.

Derrick01

Banned
People should just go with the even cheaper vita version. Less hit to to the wallet if it sucks, which I'm thinking it might after the 2 demos.

.la1n

Really has the feel of the old games while still adding something new and interesting to the formula. Graphics, art direction, sound are all top notch. Here's hoping the studio moves on to other games from Sony from here. I have seen some great suggestions in this thread.

Tizoc

Who is making the OT BTW?
I don't want to make since I have not watched much of the game outside of the early build videos and playing this demo.

Can anyone confirm if OP is just lumping in Canada with the US as well?

Err nope, by US I usually mean USA ^_^;
Is the PS+ Full Game Trial the same download as the demo?

I don't think there's a Full Game Trial...some have brought that up in a different thread, but turned out there's only a demo.

- Sly Cooper gameplay. Throwchairatkidindesk.gif? I know this is probably a plus for most of you, but I don't like the way Sly plays. What kind of platformer has "press the button while in the air to automatically land on the spot"? What a joke. This is why Bentley's section was SO SUPERIOR; actual challenging platforming. Combat also stinks, which is fine for Sly with his stealthiness, but makes Murray a total waste. Oh, and Sly has the worst, most useless double-jump in the history of video games. Murray too. It's unbelievable that it's even in the game. My only hope is that there is an upgrade that makes it useful, as for right now it has no purpose, other than to pointlessly make you climb up certain ledges. There is no discernible height or length-of-jump increase. I MEASURED.
About that I personally am fine with pressing the Circle button to land on stuff, especially after playing Tomb Raider games on PS3, it sort of 'guarantees' I get on the platform/ledge I need to be on to advance.

- It's too linear. After having played Dishonored, as I stood on a tight rope looking at the beautiful museum, I could not help but wonder how great the game would be if I could approach and enter the museum from the front, from the balcony, from the roof, or from the sewers. Nope, only one path. Can you imagine how awesome this beautiful cartoony platformer would be if it had open-world, open-ended gameplay? *DROOL*
That does sound cool, although I think this could be kept for a future Sly game? This is the first Sly game in years and hopefully it sells well enough for Sanzaru to be able to make another Sly game, with more non-linear/open ended settings.

- Smashing boxes, plants, whatever and collecting bouncing coins is immensely tedious. I hope that has no real purpose, because it got old real quick. They should patch it so they auto-collect, or just freaking get rid of the coins entirely. Blegh.
I liked doing that in the demo, but I can understand if others don't like it.

+++ IT'S FORTY FUCKING DOLLARS WITH CROSS-BUY AND IF WE DON'T SUPPORT THIS GAME WE'RE PART OF THE PROBLEM YOPO

Thank you.

This x1,000,000
The world needs more platformers/adventure games like this selling well~

Tagg9

- Sly's jump has always been gimped, which is why you're able to spire jump. Doesn't bother me in the least, Sly's always been more about stealth than precision.

- An open world Sly game would be pretty awesome, but at the same time I'd rather they focus on making a solid linear experience.

All valid complaints, but you could say the same about all of the previous entries in the series.

Gadirok

I noticed this on Wednesday night that this game had a full fame trial. One of the reasons I picked up and got the ratchet and clank collection and at launch was for the demo, and although that was short I loved that platforming segment and felt like they went back to the roots of the thievius racoonus with platforming.

So after playing this recent demo, I wasn't as impressed as I was with the original demo included with ratchet and clank. That one was more linear, while this one gave you more room to explore. But for some reason, I felt that this one was more confined and I did not enjoy Murray's part at all, and thought slys movement in this Demo felt really strange. More along the lines of the animation, but it wasn't a problem with the first demo. I'll check again to compare since its been a while since I last played that demo.

Bentelys portion was a step up in terms of the new things they brought to hacking, like the tank. I was never a big fan of those to begin with though.

I hope the main release is different. Its probably because this was the cooper gangs first outting in awhile and this may have been to serve as the tutorial but it just felt really slow paced and the movement stood of the characters stood out to mw in a odd way, compared to the way the characters moved in the HD collection.

Its tough to explain so I hope someone else sees this so I don't feel alone in this.

Also, sly yelling "hi-yah!" after x and square gets annoying. I figured he would be more silent but in the past 2 demos his personality seems more talkative, whereas he seemed very quiet and a bit closed in the previous games.

Gadirok

- Sly's jump has always been gimped, which is why you're able to spire jump. Doesn't bother me in the least, Sly's always been more about stealth than precision.

- An open world Sly game would be pretty awesome, but at the same time I'd rather they focus on making a solid linear experience.

All valid complaints, but you could say the same about all of the previous entries in the series.

I thought slys double jump took a turn for the worse in this game. His second jump makes the difference for climbing over some elevated areas , but it seems so insignificant from what it looks like he is covering compared to how high his second jump was before. It just doesn't look fun to execute now, as before I would double jump for the hell of it.

Gadirok

I also should have mentioned that the pickpocket mechanic is amazing in this game. Ita fast, quick, and simple. This part will be the most fun.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
What do you mean?

Well lately I've been playing through the old PS2 platformers... mostly through their HD collections.

And even after these revised versions, with them adding a few more options for camera control, they are still fucking retarded.

I don't know what it was about PS2 era platformers, but devs were retards when it came to cameras for their gadgets and minigames.

I will give you some examples:

Jak 1 binoculars are so fucking stupid. You have the axes swapped and mixed up on each stick. So if you want to move horizontally non inverted, that's on the right stick, but on the right stick vertical movement is inverted... and vice versa on the left stick. It is just the most retarded thing. So needlessly cumbersome. And considering Jak is a platformer where you don't have any y-axis camera control in third person, you cannot look down or up, you need those shitty binoculars all the time. And they are so shitty!

Jak II... omg this game. The original game forced x-axis invert. You had to play that way. And the binoculars were stuck retarded too. But in the HD remake they give you the option to invert the camera controls. Great! Until you try and use the binoculars and they're frigging inverted and stupid. No brains went into this camera shit, none...

Sly Cooper games.... alright here at least you can move non inverted on the same stick. Thank god. Oh... but it's the wrong stick! Wtf. Left stick aim for all their binoculars and minigame turrets. And these turret sections and mingames are the only sections of the game with real difficulty. Left stick aim... just... smh.

So this new sly is pretty much getting it right. It's on the right stick... and like most modern games, zoom is on the left. This is how it's supposed to be. And how they do it in modern games, unless you have a shooter that maps zoom to R3 clicks. But here, R3 activates the binoculars, so that space is already taken, and anyway click to zoom gives you less control.

edit: if this post reads a little dramatically... bear in mind just moments ago I had to turn off Sly2 after failing a leftstick turret section 3 times in a row.

Tizoc

Heh I posted it in the previous page I believe =)
EDIT: ...but cool to see a full version of it.
One thing though
This could've taken place during Sly 2 and it'd fit fine assuming the gang didn't go to the next area immediatly after getting a Clockwork part. Taking that into consideration, Bentley shouldn't be in a wheelchair >_>

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

Sucker Punch can make open world Sly,open world can work since SP almost did that in Sly2 ( and they mastered open world with inFamous1/2 ), so yeah Sucker Punch can do it, not sure about the new dev tho.

This seems like a day 1 for me.

Plays just like I'd have expected for a sly game.

The time travel seems like an interesting mechanic (stealing items to go back in time)

Katzii

I will try the demo again whenever it either comes to US PSN (non-plus) or European PSN. I tried it at Eurogamer and I dug it up to a point. I have no issue with Sly having friends in the game, but I just don't like controlling either of them (thus why the first game is still the best to me).

Tizoc

They already said that Plus would get it on the 22nd, and it would be available to everyone else on the 29th.

Wicked, could a mod update the thread title so it reads
"Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time demo available for US PSN on 29 Jan"
Please?

The Light

Reading the last few comments made me realize I never played Jak, Rachet, or Sly back when I had a ps2. Well I played demos, but never the full games. I do have all4one is pretty fun. Anyways I will have to check this out once I get back on psn.

Top Bottom