• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball FighterZ - Characters, Specials, and Stages Discussion

petghost

Banned
watching the GF of the last evo tournament and its cool to see the game develop and get a more MVC2 style pace with people spacing out and calling assists as opposed to early on when people would just be mashing homing dash

DrDogg

Do we know where we'll be able to sign up for the beta? And what exact time it'll go live?

I don't think it's going to be a first come, first serve basis. It sounds more like it'll just be random selection, so you probably don't need to worry about getting to the sign-up page as soon as it goes live.

Rutger

Banned
No but they finally allowed people to get Central Fiction 2.0 update for free, not including Jubei.

That's a step up from what they did with many updates and extended versions.

Well, except for the time they gave people BBCS2 for free, not counting DLC characters.
And the time they gave people BBCP1.1 for free, not counting Kokonoe.
And they did the same throughout GGXrd, even giving the DLC characters away for free for a week with Rev.

But yeah, the extend games were bad so it's nice that that's not happening this time.

Neoxon

This is dumb. Those are two different games.

For blazblue the only thing that should be upgraded are the extend versions, and CF doesn't have an extend version.

You can upgrade the second to last guilty gear into the latest one.

And no you're never getting an upgrade for Xrd 3.

You get upgrades for incremental updates. Sequels that come out 2/3 years later shouldn't be "DLC" lol.

And DBZ is no different. Will get support, possibly a Super DBZ update with DLC option ( possibly free update for systems and balance but characters from season pass ), then 2 years + later a sequel that needs to be bought from scratch.

Quality over quantity.
I honestly hope that ASW opts for a SFV-esque solution where the balance changes & new modes are given to us for free (via a software update) & we just buy the characters, that way they can avoid splitting the player base.

Broly was never cool.

Neither of em are te both big dumb berserkers

But they are stronger than ssb so I want them in instead of blue versions of Goku and vegeta preferably as a big hulking tag team character that just destroy everyone

I want kale model to be bigger and bulkier than broly too

Rutger

Banned
I honestly hope that ASW opts for a SFV-esque solution where the balance changes & new modes are given to us for free (via a software update) & we just buy the characters, that way they can avoid splitting the player base.

I don't know how practical a SFV model would be, isn't that game also funded by Sony? I can't claim to know what is going on behind the scenes, but I'd imagine that giving things away for free is easier when some else is paying for it. The only other fighting game doing something similar is Killer Instinct, and it has Microsoft behind it.

Neoxon

I don't know how practical a SFV model would be, isn't that game also funded by Sony? I can't claim to know what is going on behind the scenes, but I'd imagine that giving things away for free is easier when some else is paying for it. The only other fighting game doing something similar is Killer Instinct, and it has Microsoft behind it.
I mean, ASW would still get their money through character DLC, & it's not unlike what MKX did (only make us pay for characters & most alternate costumes, but everything else is free).

Nezzhil

We need to remember that the game is produced by BandaiNamco, so the guys of ASW aren't the ones that will make the decision about the stuff like DLC, expansion or sequels.

patchday

The only thing i'm afraid of about this game is that they repeat the business model of BB / GG with a game relaunch every 6 months with 4-5 new characters. I hate that about the other ASW fighting games.

I would preffer a ton of characters via dlc in just one game.

Fair criticism but keep in mind ASW jam packs in quality single player content with lots of tutorials and deep story. For emphasis, I'm playing through BB series for their SP content while will be focusing on GG Xrd for competitive

I hope no game ever opts for a SFV solution. Everything about that game is a mess

It's not practical at all. SFV is has no value in its base package. At its current rate it's going to have 50% of its roster as unlockable DLC in year three with no real significant content updates. No new mechanics or new moves for existing characters. They just keep adding new stuff on top of its flawed base.

I don't want that for Guilty Gear. If selling new versions is what allows devs to redevelop the game as a whole,(new mechanics, new modes, new stages, new moves for old characters, new story content) I'm fine supporting that with my money.

Rutger

Banned
It's not practical at all. SFV is has no value in its base package. At its current rate it's going to have 50% of its roster as unlockable DLC in year three with no real significant content updates. No new mechanics or new moves for existing characters. They just keep adding new stuff on top of its flawed base.

I don't want that for Guilty Gear. If selling new versions is what allows devs to redevelop the game as a whole,(new mechanics, new modes, new stages, new moves for old characters, new story content) I'm fine supporting that with my money.

This is a good point, especially when it comes to revising system mechanics, being stuck with some of the older BB games as a base would be a far worse fate for that series than having to deal with new versions over a year later.

Arcsys' model hasn't been perfect(especially the two extend games), but their updates tend to be pretty substantial and worth the cost for me.

watching the GF of the last evo tournament and its cool to see the game develop and get a more MVC2 style pace with people spacing out and calling assists as opposed to early on when people would just be mashing homing dash

It's a masterful inclusion.

One button you can mash to feel casualawesome, but once people learn the game it will be relatively rare in competitive play.

Neoxon

I hope no game ever opts for a SFV solution. Everything about that game is a mess

Season 2.5 added a number of new moves to the existing cast. And how's buying the characters separately any worse than buying a whole new game (Ex: SSFIV)? If anything, it's better since you can choose which characters you want & not have to worry about your friends having an outdated version of the game.

TreIII

This is a good point, especially when it comes to revising system mechanics, being stuck with some of the older BB games as a base would be a far worse fate for that series than having to deal with new versions over a year later.

Arcsys' model hasn't been perfect(especially the two extend games), but their updates tend to be pretty substantial and worth the cost for me.

Yeah, I think the main thing is that few would want to deal with "Extend" style needs to buy another disc to stay up-to-date with the current versions of the game. If they really wanted to do a "Rev2" style update for Fighterz a year later? I'd be fine, as long as I could just download everything I needed, or buy the disc, whichever I preferred.

Of course, I'm still more prone to the idea that Bamco is likely going to want a Season Pass, instead, going by the business models of their other products.

Season 2.5 added a number of new moves to the existing cast. And how's buying the characters separately any worse than buying a whole new game (Ex: SSFIV)? If anything, it's better since you can choose which characters you want & not have to worry about your friends having an outdated version of the game.

It's better to constantly update the base instead of doing super updates (which people complained) I don't mind GOTY editions at a discount price for late buyers.

cireza

It's better to constantly update the base instead of doing super updates (which people complained) I don't mind GOTY editions at a discount price for late buyers.
Yes, but only if they accept to add some game modes as DLC.

Because if we are missing on an adventure mode for example, they can put it in a sequel. As DLC ? Looks less likely.

Neoxon

People will complain about DLC anyway though
But only making us buy the characters is better than completely splitting the player base in half (or further depending on how many additional versions you make) by doing a separate release or locking a rebalance behind a paywall. Better to make any new balance changes/additional moves/new modes free and only charge people for stuff like characters, alternate costumes, & stages.

dan2026

People will complain about DLC anyway though

Most people only complain (sometimes rightly) if they feel the base game is lacking in features or quality. Or if they feel that content is being held back for DLC.
(See Street Fighter V for more details)

Some people complain anyway of course.

Rutger

Banned

It's probably not better or worse overall really. Like you said, if all the later characters are DLC, then we can pick and choose who we want to get, which would mean Arcsys would get less money to fund larger updates. People that only want to buy the game once and play it every now and then will be happy, but we'll get less overall.

Well much of Arcsys' games live because of their success in arcades, so who knows how badly the loss of money would affect things, but there's more going on with some of these updates that likely would be lost without having a new game. The Extend games were bad because they should have been optional DLC updates like Rev2, since they don't do anything major with the game. However, going from BBCT to BBCS to BBCP to BBCF has had some major system mechanic changes, they are simply not the same game in a way where they could have easily been a DLC update. Way too much changed between all those games, ultimately making a far better game than we ever could have had if they stuck with the awful BBCT base.

I'm more than okay with having to buy a new game if it means they've changed major things to create an all around better game. And honestly, I'd prefer if the smaller updates were like Rev2 instead of what SFV is doing, give me all the new stuff at once and an option to buy a new disc if I want so I don't need to keep taking up more space for updates to an old game.

But only making us buy the characters is better than completely splitting the player base in half (or further depending on how many additional versions you make) by doing a separate release or locking a rebalance behind a paywall. Better to make any new balance changes/additional moves/new modes free and only charge people for stuff like characters, alternate costumes, & stages.

I have honestly never felt like the playerbase was split because of revisions. People just move onto the next game. I don't think this is actually a thing that needs to be worried about.

Season 2.5 added a number of new moves to the existing cast. .

Yeah like Cammy's air throw and Ryu's "new" Cr.HP......

Zangief got some legit new stuff but I don't really think any of these changes are comparable to what Arc has done between certain BB revisions. In terms of quantity or quality.

And how's buying the characters separately any worse than buying a whole new game (Ex: SSFIV)?

To get all the DLC characters in SFV you'd have to spend 50 dollars on top of what you spent on the game. And that's only with 2 seasons. That price is just gonna keep going up and up as the game adds more and more.

and that price is completely controlled by the developer. Vs boxed releases being decided by the retailer. Like right now as a new player you can get the complete up to date version of Guilty Gear Xrd for 40 dollars. In 6 months as a new player you'll be able to get that same package for even less.

If anything, it's better since you can choose which characters you want

Since when has this become acceptable lol? Just not buying characters has always been an option, but selling them to begin with has still always been a point of criticism for ArcSys and other fighting games. Why is it now ok with SFV to not have the entire roster, let alone considered to be an advantage of its business model? lol

]not have to worry about your friends having an outdated version of the game

This has never been a worry for me.

IIRC SSFIV was a much better received game and product than SFV S2. Players felt SSFIV added a lot of new content and addressed the major issues people had with Vanilla SF4. Seems like the consensus on SFV S2 is that it's pretty much the same game.....because that's what it is.

Yeah I'm not saying their model is perfect or above criticism. I just don't think copying SFV is the solution for improvement. Imo SFV has the absolute worst model for fighting games atm.

If you want to see an example of a model like that that works, look at Killer Instinct. Those guys put a lot of thought into their F2P model and it shows.It has by far the best content delivery model for a fighting game if we're strictly speaking from a consumer perspective.

SFV just sort of copied League of Legends and called it a day.

The difference is you don't have to actually pay anything to get those DLC characters in SFV. Say what you will about the game as a whole, but ain't no other games doing that right now.

This is 100% the way to go. If the base game has enough content, people are not going to complain nearly as much. Maybe I missed something, but as scummy as WB and Netherrealm, (or is it just WB?), are with DLC, I haven't heard complaints about Injustice 2's DLC. Really only positive things.

Slaythe

The difference is you don't have to actually pay anything to get those DLC characters in SFV. Say what you will about the game as a whole, but ain't no other games doing that right now.

I mean, you have to buy colors, stages, characters...

In a game with an extremely limited currency. And before you tell "you can still get it", the odds of getting all the content the game has to offer for "free" are basically close to 0. (without cheating)

It's kind of obnoxious not gonna lie, You're better off buying stuff, except you're still locked out of a lot of content... with the season pass...

I hate SFV and I don't want this model on any Arc game.

Uraizen

Banned
I prefer new versions because we get all the content from the previous game, new UI, new sound effects, new art, and usually some major new features. If that's not for you then that's cool, but I like the idea of getting a new story mode, all old content, sometimes improved netcode, and overall QoL changes. If you don't want to buy a sequel then that's fine, but the Rev2 update didn't include any of the old DLC. So I prefer the old way they did things.

Moaradin

I don't get the complaints for the SFV model. It's objectively better than the standard DLC model for fighting games. You literally have the exact same options, except this time you can get the characters for free (and it's not hard no matter what people say otherwise), plus the gameplay updates are completely free and don't split the playerbase. Yes, getting absolutely everything for free is hard, but it still beats the alternative of not having that option at all.

If you want to just pay for it, you can. The season pass regularly goes on sale for pretty cheap. Sure, you can't just buy one thing and get all the costumes and stages, but that is hardly the case for paid revisions as well. The guilty gear model of having 3-4 different versions of the game is the fucking worst and I hope they don't do it here.

Neoxon

I don't get the complaints for the SFV model. It's objectively better than the standard DLC model for fighting games. You literally have the exact same options, except this time you can get the characters for free (and it's not hard no matter what people say otherwise), plus the gameplay updates are completely free and don't split the playerbase. Yes, getting absolutely everything for free is hard, but it still beats the alternative of not having that option at all.

If you want to just pay for it, you can. The season pass regularly goes on sale for pretty cheap. Sure, you can't just buy one thing and get all the costumes and stages, but that is hardly the case for paid revisions as well. The guilty gear model of having 3-4 different versions of the game is the fucking worst and I hope they don't do it here.
Exactly. Especially for a game with esports aspirations, it'd be unwise to stick with new editions & cut people off from being competitive.

I'm not necessarily saying "do Fight Money", but instead avoid locking modes & balance changes behind paywalls and make them free for everyone. ASW & Bandai Namco can still make their profits off of the DLC characters.

In a game with an extremely limited currency. And before you tell "you can still get it", the odds of getting all the content the game has to offer for "free" are basically close to 0. (without cheating)

It's kind of obnoxious not gonna lie, You're better off buying stuff, except you're still locked out of a lot of content... with the season pass...

For me, the system is okay in SFV. I like being able to use FM for that stuff.

But yeah, I don't want it in DBFZ,. I'd be fine with just a Rev 2 upgrade.

Do you think this game is going to have a lot of DLC?

LaNaranja

Real talk the SFV model is fucking disgusting and if it is never used in another game I will be happy. DLC prices in that game are fucking outrageous so for people like me who just play these games casually I will never be able to unlock that shit with the way currency is drip fed.

Neoxon

Real talk the SFV model is fucking disgusting and if it is never used in another game I will be happy. DLC prices in that game are fucking outrageous so for people like me who just play these games casually I will never be able to unlock that shit with the way currency is drip fed.
Earning Fight Money isn't as hard as you think, especially if you log on at least once a week. There's even a whole thread about it.

Either way, my argument was for not doing Revelator/Rev 2 paid editions and instead giving everyone the balance changes/QoL fixes/new modes/etc. free of charge while having us pay for the characters & stages. This way nobody gets left behind competitively.

Exactly. Especially for a game with esports aspirations, it'd be unwise to stick with new editions & cut people off from being competitive.

How does it do that though? I don't understand this argument at all.

I'm not necessarily saying "do Fight Money", but instead avoid locking modes & balance changes behind paywalls and make them free for everyone. ASW & Bandai Namco can still make their profits off of the DLC characters.

What games do this? I can't think of a single game that charges for patches.

Sheroking

Not to rehash this in another thread, but the in-game currency in SFV is easily obtained. You could have all of the characters on like 30 minutes of gameplay a week.

Guilty Gear XRD meanwhile has been a $100+ investment for anyone who has wanted to stay current. ArcSys is greedy and merits plenty of criticism in how they've handled updates, particularly all their pre Rev-2 updates.

Neoxon

How does it do that though? I don't understand this argument at all.

What games do this? I can't think of a single game that charges for patches.
Guilty Gear Xrd going into Revelator for starters. The balance changes were locked behind the re-release, so nobody with Sign could get the latest balance changes or modes without having to buy Revelator. While yes, Rev 2 is a step in the right direction, ASW can improve further.

Not to rehash this in another thread, but the in-game currency in SFV is easily obtained. You could have all of the characters on like 30 minutes of gameplay a week.

Guilty Gear XRD meanwhile has been a $100+ investment for anyone who has wanted to stay current. ArcSys is greedy and merits plenty of criticism in how they've handled updates, particularly all their pre Rev-2 updates.

You gonna have to show me your work on these calculations my man lmfao

Guilty Gear Xrd going into Revelator for starters. The balance changes were locked behind the re-release, so nobody with Sign could get the latest balance changes or modes without having to buy Revelator. While yes, Rev 2 is a step in the right direction, ASW can improve further.

Can we stop calling new versions of a game "balance changes".

Actual balance changes/patches are provided free of charge. Like the balance patch that launched the day of Evo finals last year for Xrd Revelator. That's what you should be comparing SFV content to.

I'm seeing in the thread that this takes about 9 hours to do....spread out over 52 intervals lol...

How many weeks is that? 30 minutes a week for how many weeks?

and I was curious where he got his math for 100+ dollars to be current in Xrd as well. Does he mean overall from playing Day 1?

Moaradin

Well, yeah. If you're talking about a new player jumping right into Rev 2 and skipping the previous versions, then you can pretty much do the exact same thing with SFV and buy the bundle that contains the base game and S1+S2 for pretty cheap.

Sheroking

You gonna have to show me your work on these calculations my man lmfao

Which one?

SFV? They give you 5K FM every week with some nothing challenge that always requires you to fight one round in VS mode on a specific stage and do some stage gimmick. You can make another 1500 on stuff that may take 10-60 minutes. Combo trials, storymode and easy/normal survival net you a ton of FM. Each character basically pays for more than half the next character on like 30 minutes of gameplay a week.

XRD? Well, you needed to buy XRD, Rev and now the Rev2 update. All that is like $100 at day 1 retail cost. It's way more expensive to be a Guilty Gear player than a Street Fighter player unless you're hung up on premium costumes or something.

Neoxon

Can we stop calling new versions of a game "balance changes".

Actual balance changes/patches are provided free of charge. Like the balance patch that launched the day of Evo finals last year for Xrd Revelator. That's what you should be comparing SFV content to.
I'm referring to the system changes going from Sign to Revelator or Revelator to Rev 2. Those should also be free of charge.

Well, yeah. If you're talking about a new player jumping right into Rev 2 and skipping the previous versions, then you can pretty much do the exact same thing with SFV and buy the bundle that contains the base game and S1+S2 for pretty cheap.

Where?

If I was to do that right now on PSN it would cost me $79.99

I'm referring to the system changes going from Sign to Revelator or Revelator to Rev 2. Those should also be free of charge.

Why?

That stuff costs money to produce. Why should they provide that content completely free of charge?

Top Bottom