• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Criterion Collection in 2017: All Fancy Movie GAF Releases Welcome!

So do any of you actually watch your movies or do they just sit on a shelf, silently mocking you for spending all that money ;_;

I watch it all eventually, but sometimes it takes longer on certain titles depending on mood or the amount of time I have.

I currently have a set of horror blu's I'm saving for October and a plethora of Criterion titles begging to be watched.

I despise cable television so much I haven't had it for a decade now, so watching and rewatching films is our only and preferred option of moving picture things. Netflix two discs at a time for lyfe!!!1

This is how I watch a movie a day though, at least. Three a days on weekends I'm writing screenplays lol

So do any of you actually watch your movies or do they just sit on a shelf, silently mocking you for spending all that money ;_;

About half of my collection is movies I haven't seen, and a few others are movies I first watched via the Criterion releases. So at the very least, I have the intention of watching them.

I got my own personal Blu-Ray player today, so that makes things easier for me. I'm giving it a test run with The Night of the Hunter right now.

berzeli

Banned
The Artificial Eye Tarkovsky boxset is pretty snazzy looking:
C8lRpWvXYAIPflh.jpg

berzeli

Banned
Eureka will release Josef von Sternberg's Anatahan later this year, so might want to hold off on that Kino version if you've got it pre-ordered.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Twilight Time is about to release Woody Allen's Another Woman...is that a really good one? I've never seen it, surprised it came out right before Crimes & Misdemeanors and yet I know nothing.

SeanC

Is it a intentional reference that they mutated guy looks like the doctor from From Beyond?

It wouldn't surprise me if Gunn is a huge Stuart Gordon fan, they have a similar style and sensibilities . The way the villains in Slither and From Beyond transform is similar in look to each other, but then again where do you draw the line when it comes to body-horror stuff? It all becomes squishy and fleshy after a while.

Same price for a variety of them at zavvi, there is also a 2 for 25£ at zoom.co.uk

Don't think they'll get much cheaper than that unfortunately.

Forgot to write down the one piece of information that I came here to post o_o

Yeah i meant zavvi. Zoom has many sold-outs

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I think I did the big mistane asking James on his Facebook regarding the Doctor Pretorius thing. Not that I expect an answer, but I know that he answers sometimes.

Wish me luck that my Facebook doesnt get flodded with mentions 😖

SeanC

I think I did the big mistane asking James on his Facebook regarding the Doctor Pretorius thing. Not that I expect an answer, but I know that he answers sometimes.

Wish me luck that my Facebook doesnt get flodded with mentions 😖

Keep an eye out for a Reddit AMA as Guardians gets closer, he seems like he'd do one. Perfect place for a question on that.

berzeli

Banned
Eureka Easter sale:
DVD

Il Grido £6.99
Funeral Parade Of Roses (Bara No Soretsu) £7.99
Birth Of A Nation, The (Masters Of Cinema) (DVD) £7.99

Blu-ray

Les Miserables (Masters Of Cinema) (Blu-Ray) £7.99
Harold And Maude (Masters Of Cinema) (Blu-Ray) £7.99

Dual Formats

Ganja And Hess (Eureka Classics) (DVD & Blu-Ray Dual Format) £6.99
Too Late Blues (Masters Of Cinema) (DVD & Blu-Ray Dual Format) £6.99
Cruel Story Of Youth [Masters Of Cinema] (DVD & Blu-Ray Dual Format) £6.99
Le Silence De La Mer (Masters Of Cinema) (DVD & Blu-Ray Dual Format) £6.99
I Clowns (Masters Of Cinema) (DVD & Blu-Ray Dual Format) £6.99
Le Mani Sulla Città [Hands Over The City] (Masters Of Cinema) (DVD & Blu-Ray Dual Format) £7.99
That Cold Day In The Park (Masters Of Cinema) (DVD & Blu-Ray Dual Format) £9.99
Jinnah (DVD & Blu-Ray Dual Format) £9.99
Journey To The Shore (Masters Of Cinema) (DVD & Blu-Ray Dual Format) £9.99
Queen Of Earth (Masters Of Cinema) (DVD & Blu-Ray Dual Format) £9.99
Aloys (DVD & Blu-Ray Dual Format) £9.99
Seconds (DVD & Blu-ray Dual Format) £9.99
Fixed Bayonets (Masters of Cinema) (DVD & Blu-ray Dual Format) £10.99
The Friends of Eddie Coyle (Masters of Cinema) (DVD & Blu-ray Dual Format) £10.99
World Cinema Foundation: Vol. 1 (Masters Of Cinema) (DVD & Blu-Ray Dual Format) £12.99 (!!!!!)

SteelBooks

Two-Lane Blacktop (Masters Of Cinema)(Ltd Edition Blu-Ray Steelbook) £7.99
A pretty decent sale, not all offers seem to be live yet though. not all offers show up on the store page but are at the reduced price when you put them in your cart.

And in unrelated news: Arrow is going to start selling vinyls and publishing books.

I have yet to see Ran, but I've always felt that Kagemusha has gotten an unfairly bad rap. It a gorgeous and meditative experience, and probably the most impressive Tatsuya Nakadai performance I've ever seen.

ngower

I have some sealed Criterion blu rays I'm looking to sell, if anyone's interested (mods if this belongs in B/S/T I'll move it):

The Manchurian Candidate
The Last Days of Disco
Jules and Jim
8 1/2
Mullholland Drive
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World
Life is Sweet
Ace in the Hole
Rules of the Game
Beauty and the Beast

Thinking 50% off MSRP + s/h ($2-3 within US, probably) if that's alright with y'all?

It a gorgeous and meditative experience, and probably the most impressive Tatsuya Nakadai performance I've ever seen.
First off, I think it's the only Edo flick he did where he shot winter so prominently. Second, that performance as you say is no joke. It's incredible. A wild knot presented inside a film.

berzeli

Banned
I have yet to see Ran...
You should. It's probably my favorite of his jidai-geki films.
(also the new-ish and TOTALLY NOT REGION B-LOCKED AND VERY MUCH RELEASED IN THE US BY LIONSGATE bluray is gorgeous)
I've always felt that Kagemusha has gotten an unfairly bad rap.
Has it? I mean it scored Kurosawa a bloody Palme d'Or, so it has that going for it. Though to be fair I don't have a good grasp on how his films are typically ranked.

You should. It's probably my favorite of his jidai-geki films.
(also the new-ish and TOTALLY NOT REGION B-LOCKED AND VERY MUCH RELEASED IN THE US BY LIONSGATE bluray is gorgeous)

Has it? I mean it scored Kurosawa a bloody Palme d'Or, so it has that going for it. Though to be fair I don't have a good grasp on how his films are typically ranked.

Yeah been waiting for a good source to watch Ran....

I've always heard people saying Kagemusha gets dismissed as being just a dress rehearsal for Ran but maybe nobody actually says that?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Its kinda sad that you get the best realeases of all the great german classics like Nosferatu, Doctor Mabuse and M are from the UK.

Not that importing is going to be a big problem for the moment, but its just sad...

berzeli

Banned
I've always heard people saying Kagemusha gets dismissed as being just a dress rehearsal for Ran but maybe nobody actually says that?
I think I've heard more people complain about the supposed bad reception than I've seen people complain about the film. But like I said. I genuinely don't know the intricacies of ranking Kurosawa.
Haha sorry I don't wanna sully the visual experience of it with all the issues the US versions supposedly have!
That disc is how I first watched it. I mean it's okay, but the new one is just better.

Its kinda sad that you get the best realeases of all the great german classics like Nosferatu, Doctor Mabuse and M are from the UK.

Not that importing is going to be a big problem for the moment, but its just sad...
The German release of M is considered to be the best one though.
Swedish classics don't even get released on blu in Sweden anymore.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Metropolis is not even in print anymore on Blu-Ray Disc... Man, I get that the people who want to buy stuff like this is super small, but I think this stuff has to be avaiable for historic reasons, I would even be willing to drop 20-30€.

Thanks for the hint in regards of M, didnt knew this. Was a the master scanned new at some point? Or was the review I read just shitty? :D

Ridley327

Taking bets. New announcements today or a delay until tomorrow?

I kinda think they would have to be today, since announcing stuff on the final day of taxes seems like a real easy way to get buried.

EDIT: And sure enough, phantom pages are going up.
Fans of Stalker are about to eat hearty...

berzeli

Banned
Metropolis is not even in print anymore on Blu-Ray Disc... Man, I get that the people who want to buy stuff like this is super small, but I think this stuff has to be avaiable for historic reasons, I would even be willing to drop 20-30€.

Thanks for the hint in regards of M, didnt knew this. Was a the master scanned new at some point? Or was the review I read just shitty? :D
The German one or?

Seems like it would be a shitty review. There is only one German release afaik.

Top Bottom