• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven Universe |OT4| Every Rose Has Its Thorns

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do hope both Connie and Steven physically grow during the series (particularly so we can hear Zach Callison's natural voice again like we did in Steven's Birthday).

But I think Connie being taller is just another case of storyboarders drawing characters differently. She was taller than Steven in her first episode, but her height would vary wildly, with the worst offender probably being Buddy's Book where she was like three heads tall.

hmm that could actually be the culprit but for some reason it just looks really obvious here and it would be cool to see that actually happening

Holy moly, I've got the biggest dumbest smile on my face right now.
For all you Rupaul's Drag Race fans...
...a lot of folks are speculating that Jinkx Monsoon- famous drag queen and winner of Rupaul's Drag Race season 5 for those of you who don't know- voices Emerald.
Which is totally believable to me.
She's made it very clear that she's a big fan of the show on social media, she's been asking to be on the show since Jailbreak aired, her speaking voice is usually indistinguishable from a cisgender lady's, and she just tweeted "I've always thought I look great in green...".

Hype!

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
...a lot of folks are speculating that Jinkx Monsoon- famous drag queen and winner of Rupaul's Drag Race season 5 for those of you who don't know- voices Emerald.
She's made it very clear that she's a big fan of the show on social media, she's been asking to be on the show since Jailbreak aired, her speaking voice is usually indistinguishable from a cisgender lady's, and she just tweeted "I've always thought I look great in green...".

Hype!
Ahhhh, I love it.

But I think Connie being taller is just another case of storyboarders drawing characters differently. She was taller than Steven in her first episode, but her height would vary wildly, with the worst offender probably being Buddy's Book where she was like three heads tall.

I remember her being all over the place height-wise in Steven's Birthday.

latest

latest

Psxphile

In their very-weak defense, Steven is a baby in that first photo. But wtf is going on with Connie's enormous head in the second photo?

Some half-assed attempt at perspective? Didn't quite commit to it, though.

Aren't revisionists supposed to catch these kind of mistakes and fix them before the boards are finalized?

Aren't revisionists supposed to catch these kind of mistakes and fix them before the boards are finalized?

I think the only episode where the art was actively taking me out of the moment was during Friend Ship in one or two areas.

They actually LIKE playing fast and loose with proportions and what not. I poured through the entirety of the crewniverse thing last year or so and it's mentioned on several occasions. They don't actively try and do it, but they want the storyboarders to have the freedom to do whatever. It's why you'll see very grounded straight forward animation some episodes and very looney-tunes esque contortions and what not the next.

hughesta

Banned
I think the big head scene in Steven's Birthday was great because it sort of emphasized how small Connie felt at that moment compared to Steven's "destiny," and also how small Steven felt compared to her growth.

I'm glad they allow for such wildly varying sizes and styles and it really benefits the show imo

Puruzi

Banned
I really hate how inconsistent the art is in SU. It's not like it's really done for gags or to be funny, the shit just looks weird and off a bunch of the time.

I love it in OK KO though because most of the time it going off model is used as a gag and it fits with the style of the show.

If only every episode looked as good as Mindful Education

Blues1990

I think the big head scene in Steven's Birthday was great because it sort of emphasized how small Connie felt at that moment compared to Steven's "destiny," and also how small Steven felt compared to her growth.

I'm glad they allow for such wildly varying sizes and styles and it really benefits the show imo

It also allow us to have some fantastic character moments, from the more tender moments to the hysterical. I still get a good laugh with the Uncle Grandpa episode when Pearl loses her cool.

"THIS IS OUR NEW HOME!"

I don't think we tend to have bad art that much any more- yeah, Hellen Jo's stuff looked terrible back in the day, but I don't honestly think we've had anything near that bad since. It may not be consistent, but the art tends to be representative of a diverse set of skills more than anything.

I don't think we tend to have bad art that much any more- yeah, Hellen Jo's stuff looked terrible back in the day, but I don't honestly think we've had anything near that bad since. It may not be consistent, but the art tends to be representative of a diverse set of skills more than anything.
I agree. The height issue and other art complaints are really just nit-picking in my case. Sometimes the animation won't be great (Stevonnie vs Jasper could have looked better), but it's not really out-right bad.

The only time it's really bugged me in recent seasons was some of the art in Same Old World, which also had some great art in it.

Morlas

i hope it's not a Finn situation where neither of them grow an inch despite being the size they are at such a young age...i mean seriously finn is like what 17 now and he's still that short?

i hope it's not a Finn situation where neither of them grow an inch despite being the size they are at such a young age...i mean seriously finn is like what 17 now and he's still that short?

At least Steven has the excuse of being a human/gem hybrid.
The show might follow up with the tease from "Steven's Birthday", but who knows. If he does get a growth spurt they'll probably just reuse the model from "Steven's Birthday".

At least Steven has the excuse of being a human/gem hybrid.
The show might follow up with the tease from "Steven's Birthday", but who knows. If he does get a growth spurt they'll probably just reuse the model from "Steven's Birthday".

It would be pretty interesting if the show had a timeskip of some sorts.

Raxus

It would be pretty interesting if the show had a timeskip of some sorts.

It is probably the only way animators can reliably show growth. It is hard in a show that clearly passes from year to year since you'll have to constantly update character models and size sheets. It'd be nice to see taller steven in a black shirt.

Raxus

Hype!

If this is true I may die. Love her.

Nohar

Timeskips are usually terrible, so I'd hope not.

Not all timeskips are bad. They can be quite good actually, if done right, and can help a series to move on narratively. I wouldn't mind one, although they would need to set it up properly.

Started this on a lark a couple weeks ago. Didn't really get into it until the plot started up 20 or so episodes in, but after that... by GOD did it grab me and not let go. There's these episodes where there's just this... raw emotionality to it. Pearl in particular had some incredible scenes in that regard. An even the lighter episodes are fairly entertaining.

Cannot WAIT for more.

Started this on a lark a couple weeks ago. Didn't really get into it until the plot started up 20 or so episodes in, but after that... by GOD did it grab me and not let go.

Yeah, it seemed like there were a lot more one-and-done episodes early in, but once the main plot really kicks in, the show gets amazing.

Yeah, it seemed like there were a lot more one-and-done episodes early in, but once the main plot really kicks in, the show gets amazing.

It really does.

First episode that really stuck out to me as being something... bigger, I guess, was Rose's Scabbard. Powerful stuff.

And I love the whole Gem society business. Very fun little bit of sci-fi despite the deliberately silly elements.

It really does.

First episode that really stuck out to me as being something... bigger, I guess, was Rose's Sheath. Powerful stuff.

And I love the whole Gem society business. Very fun little bit of sci-fi despite the deliberately silly elements.

oh hey, another halogaffer in here

Yeah, SU's really entertaining because (from a narrative standpoint) it never really takes you somewhere you don't want to go 99% of the time. Granted, you may not have known you wanted to go there, but it very adamantly lets you know it's not going to fall back to your usual plot beats just for the hell of it. There's only two or three episodes that outright feel silly because you already know where they're headed, I can count the number of times I went "why didn't they just solve the problem by fusing?" on one hand, half of the time they actually do fuse to solve problems bigger than any one of them, etc.

oh hey, another halogaffer in here

Yeah, SU's really entertaining because (from a narrative standpoint) it never really takes you somewhere you don't want to go 99% of the time. Granted, you may not have known you wanted to go there, but it very adamantly lets you know it's not going to fall back to your usual plot beats just for the hell of it. There's only two or three episodes that outright feel silly because you already know where they're headed, I can count the number of times I went "why didn't they just solve the problem by fusing?" on one hand, half of the time they actually do fuse to solve problems bigger than any one of them, etc.

It does a great job of marching to the beat of its own drum, definitely. Part of that I think is down to the 10 minute episodes, they never have to stretch anything out. If you do see where an episode is going, they get you to the end with admirable quickness.

sinxtanx

I did a rewatch on my vacation in june and it's not even funny how fast the story starts moving after season one.

Hiatuses really colored my impression of the pace.

I did a rewatch on my vacation in june and it's not even funny how fast the story starts moving after season one.

Hiatuses really colored my impression of the pace.

It's crazy to think that the Super Watermelon Island -> Gem Drill -> Same Old World -> Barn Mates (eh) -> Hit the Diamond stretch started season 3. There's practically as much resolution / new stuff introduced / lore / action / etc. as the entirety of season 1A.

Pachinko

Started this on a lark a couple weeks ago. Didn't really get into it until the plot started up 20 or so episodes in, but after that... by GOD did it grab me and not let go. There's these episodes where there's just this... raw emotionality to it. Pearl in particular had some incredible scenes in that regard. An even the lighter episodes are fairly entertaining.

Cannot WAIT for more.

Welcome to the club friend , now you must wait forever and an age for new eps like the rest of us :(

So when are new episodes airing? There's been 19 this year. Usually there's 30+. Either they are gonna have a lot less episodes this year or there's gonna be a couple bombs back to back in the next couple months. I dont really like how this year there have been literally bombs all year (outside of one 5 episode stretch). It makes the waits between episodes extra long and takes me out of the show as a fan.

Honestly, if they REALLY wanted to double down on this bomb format, it would be better in my opinion to do a giant summer of steven every year. Just two months of episodes airing (almost) every week day.

I miss the 2014 and 2015 when there were episodes consistently for at least 4 months at a time

So when are new episodes airing? There's been 19 this year. Usually there's 30+. Either they are gonna have a lot less episodes this year or there's gonna be a couple bombs back to back in the next couple months. I dont really like how this year there have been literally bombs all year (outside of one 5 episode stretch). It makes the waits between episodes extra long and takes me out of the show as a fan.

Honestly, if they REALLY wanted to double down on this bomb format, it would be better in my opinion to do a giant summer of steven every year. Just two months of episodes airing (almost) every week day.

I miss the 2014 and 2015 when there were episodes consistently for at least 4 months at a time

Cartoon Network can literally announce episodes out of the blue, so we could get an announcement either next week or in December. Right now, August is devoted to OK KO and new episodes for other shows, so maybe we'll get an announcement in September. I assume Cartoon Network wants the SU fanbase to tune into OK KO in the mean time. Which is fine, since I've been enjoying the show.

My guess is that there will be a bomb or a 22 minute episode in October or maybe late September to tie into the release of Save the Light. So far, the only thing known (still not 100%) is that the next episode will be a 22-minute special called
Reunited
that picks up directly from the ending of Wanted.

I really wish CN followed Disney XD's lead and just told people when to expect the show back. Star Vs is in hiatus right now until November, but at least fans know how long they'll need to wait. That breeds anticipation rather than frustration. The long wait isn't the problem, it's not knowing the length of the wait.

Cannot WAIT for more.

Welcome to the hiatus waiting game.

i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/093/963/2a1.jpeg

I'd say once Lapis is introduced, that's when the show really begins to pick up. Although I won't disparage the episodes before it since it's great to see how many plot points tied into future episodes. Dat overarching planning.
So Many Birthdays was some dark shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom