• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft to offer 3$ per 1000 views if you promote XBO

Omega

Banned
The fact that some people in this thread can't understand what is wrong with this is goddamn scary ...

What's wrong with advertising?

If people want to sell out to promote Xbox they're just going to potentially hurt their own rep. It's not like everyone can get 1000 views either.

Usobuko

Banned
Depends on how you define "well". People are forgetting that the 360 outsold the PS3 by around 15 million in the US and had a good lead in the UK. Now? They're clearly losing in the Uk and they have a lower LTD in the US. NPD showed that the results were close even though the PS4 is sold out everywhere in the US and MS has plenty of supply in the US. All of this is occuring after the claims of retail launch lineups being so important. What will happen when the price starts to matter in the upcoming months and the post launch exclusives come out?

Statistics are fun to observe!

While I think that Xbox One would sell relatively worst than 360 in all territories this gen, I tend to recall famousmortiner ( can't remember his nick ) words on how NUads powered by Kinects is going to be a great, additional monetization avenue for them. Perhaps, that what people meant that it sold well enough.

pro·mote
prəˈmōt/
verb
verb: promote; 3rd person present: promotes; past tense: promoted; past participle: promoted; gerund or present participle: promoting

further the progress of (something, esp. a cause, venture, or aim); support or actively encourage.
"some regulation is still required to promote competition

advance or raise (someone) to a higher position or rank.
"she was promoted to general manager"

you know, calling me stupid would have taken less time and characters.

pro·mote
prəˈmōt/
verb
verb: promote; 3rd person present: promotes; past tense: promoted; past participle: promoted; gerund or present participle: promoting

further the progress of (something, esp. a cause, venture, or aim); support or actively encourage.
"some regulation is still required to promote competition

advance or raise (someone) to a higher position or rank.
"she was promoted to general manager"

Has anyone successfully done this without looking like a dick

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her

If people want to sell out to promote Xbox they're just going to potentially hurt their own rep. It's not like everyone can get 1000 views either.

In the UK, the USA and the EU endorsements for material gain, without disclosure of material compensation (i.e. payment) is against the law, and is not just "Advertising". to re-iterate:

"The FTC recently amended its Guides Concerning the Use of
Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising (the “Guides”), which
address endorsements by consumers, experts, organizations, and
celebrities in advertising. The amendments, which took effect on
December 1, 2009, clarify – among other things – how the Guides
apply in the context of social and other “new media”.
The amendments to the Guides add examples to illustrate how the
longstanding requirements that “material connections”
(e.g, compensation arrangements) between advertisers and consumer
endorsers must be disclosed. Under the Guides, a material
connection is one that consumers generally would not expect and
that may affect the credibility or weight of the endorsement.
In determining whether a disclosure is required, the threshold
issue is whether an endorsement was made. If a blogger was paid
to blog about the marketer’s product, the blogger’s favorable blog
posts concerning the product will likely be considered an
endorsement under the Guides."

Omega

Banned
This isn't advertising. This is buying positive press.

and my point still sounds, regardless of if it's advertising or not.

anyone who is just going to "sellout" and promote the xbox is risking their viewership.

you know, calling me stupid would have taken less time and characters.

i could have called you stupid but what would that have accomplished? at least with the definition you can't misuse the word anymore

I agree with you

I can see people with no real stake in the videogame industry being tempted to sell out.

I can't imagine anyone who's in the industry and hasn't already pleged their allegiance to MS taking the plunge. The money isn't worth it. They're making money off advertising already and they don't want to jeapordize their viewership.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
in the UK, the USA and the EU endorsements for material gain, without disclosure of that material connection is against the law, and is not just "Advertising". to re-iterate:

So as far as I can tell, youtubers can say "This PS4 game I'm about to play is brought to you by XBox One!" and they're in the clear?

Edit:
This isn't paying for ads in front of youtube videos.
I just Osiris' post. Hmmm, it could be shady.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
yep, exactly.

The funny thing is, Microsoft may get a little blowback, but the actual people that get in the shit for this would be the youtubers, and the advertising agency that kicked it off, Microsoft however would likely have plausible deniability :D

tbm24

In the UK, the USA and the EU endorsements for material gain, without disclosure of material compensation (i.e. payment) is against the law, and is not just "Advertising". to re-iterate:

You keep saying this, but you're only working on the assumption that Machinima isn't aware of this. You're not refuting his point that this isn advertisement until the videos come out.

Orayn

So as far as I can tell, youtubers can say "This PS4 game I'm about to play is brought to you by XBox One!" and they're in the clear?

No, you likely have to contact Machinima, submit the video for them to approve, and then they enable the bonus CPM if it meets whatever the requirements are for the promotion.

Pain

Banned
This really puts it into perspective what situation Microsoft is in right now. They're losing to the competition by so much(1.2m) that they have resorted to buying positive press.

Now, I don't see anything wrong with this as long as there is full disclosure by those participating.

gemoran4

Depends on how you define "well". People are forgetting that the 360 outsold the PS3 by around 15 million in the US and had a good lead in the UK. Now? They're clearly losing in the Uk and they have a lower LTD in the US. NPD showed that the results were close even though the PS4 is sold out everywhere in the US and MS has plenty of supply in the US. All of this is occuring after the claims of retail launch lineups being so important. What will happen when the price starts to matter in the upcoming months and the post launch exclusives come out?

Statistics are fun to observe!

Given that unlike the 360 (that was priced $200 less than the PS3 and for most of the gen was cheaper) the XB1 is $100 more, and had a ton of bad press before launch, I don't think it's done terrible at all. I don't think anyone expected XB1 to sell as much as PS4, but 3 million at this point isn't a bad number to be at in any metric. I'm also pretty sure PS4 had the all time first month sales record. Just because you aren't selling as much as the fastest selling console ever doesn't mean you console is doing poorly, let alone not "well".

Granted Wii U started off strong and fell off the face of the earth after their first holiday season so we'll have to see if the XB1 will keep the momentum up, but it's definitely not outrageous to claim it's done fairly well so far.

Duxxy3

$3/CPM is suuuuuuuper cheap considering what they're asking. This isn't an ad in the corner of some website, it's a minor celebrity basically endorsing the product. The related message is stronger than any typical impression. It feels really desperate for that reason.

People that aren't making revenue off of videos because of content ID.

tbm24

This really puts it into perspective what situation Microsoft is in right now. They're losing to the competition by so much(1.2m) that they have resorted to buying positive press.

Now, I don't see anything wrong with this as long as there is full disclosure by those participating.

I am genuinely curious if youtube vids from people who make youtube vids counts as press.

Osiris

You keep saying this, but you're only working on the assumption that Machinima isn't aware of this. You're not refuting his point that this isn advertisement until the videos come out.

If Machinima are aware of this, then they have a requirement (again, specifically stipulated by the FTC) to inform those they use for the promotion of the FTC disclosure requirements, and if they are not aware, well, ignorance has never been a valid defence in Law. :p

Some applicable, and interesting reading on the use of social media for the promotion of goods, and the FTC's position on it.

tbm24

If Machinima are aware of this, then they have a requirement (again, specifically stipulated by the FTC) to inform those they use for the promotion of the FTC disclosure requirements, and if they are not aware, well, ignorance has never been a valid defence in Law. :p

Then do you agree so long as Machinima is aware of this and comply with the FTC that this is advertisement?

NeoUltima

All depends on what they consider promoting. If a YouTuber just has to say "this video is brought to you by Xbox one", then no problemon.

Salex_

Given that unlike the 360 (that was priced $200 less than the PS3 and for most of the gen was cheaper) the XB1 is $100 more, and had a ton of bad press before launch, I don't think it's done terrible at all. I don't think anyone expected XB1 to sell as much as PS4, but 3 million at this point isn't a bad number to be at in any metric. I'm also pretty sure PS4 had the all time first month sales record. Just because you aren't selling as much as the fastest selling console ever doesn't mean you console is doing poorly, let alone not "well".

Granted Wii U started off strong and fell off the face of the earth after their first holiday season so we'll have to see if the XB1 will keep the momentum up, but it's definitely not outrageous to claim it's done fairly well so far.
I agree with you. If you look at last gen US sales difference with no context, it's hard to say they`re well in the market they dominated in. When you look at the advantages they had last gen compared to now, then I'd say they're doing pretty good now.

This is ridiculous. How is Machinima or Microsoft even going to verify what counts as promotion or not? They want to check each video from their partners? What?

EDIT: Ok, you probably have to submit them. Shady as fuck tho...

I am genuinely curious if youtube vids from people who make youtube vids counts as press.

It doesn't really matter. In this case, I think of it more as a testimonial. It's like when you see people in ads promoting weight-loss pills or whatever. The difference is, with Microsoft's strategy the viewers aren't given the broader context. They won't know they're watching an advertisement. And that's shady. It's like paying people to go onto Amazon and write positive reviews of a product!

Osiris

Then do you agree so long as Machinima is aware of this and comply with the FTC that this is advertisement?

If the fact that it is a sponsored promotion is disclosed by the youtube personality during his broadcast/stream, yes.

Pain

Banned
Press/promotion/advertising/marketing. These are all pretty much the same thing.

There are many Youtube celebs that have more influence than some gaming websites. Who cares if the promotion is in video format instead of text? Press is just a fancy word for news media. YouTube is the press these days.

Orayn

This is ridiculous. How is Machinima or Microsoft even going to verify what counts as promotion or not? They want to check each video from their partners? What?

I'm guessing that's what they'll do, yes, because the promotion has a limited budget and gets shut off after Microsoft has paid out a certain amount.

tbm24

It doesn't really matter. In this case, I think of it more as a testimonial. It's like when you see people in ads promoting weight-loss pills or whatever. The difference is, with Microsoft's strategy the viewers aren't given the broader context. They won't know they're watching an advertisement. And that's shady.

Isn't that why things of this nature end with "Brought to you by ...."?

Pain

Banned

EDIT: Ok, you probably have to submit them. Shady as fuck tho...
Don't quit your day job.

Isn't that why things of this nature end with "Brought to you by ...."?

Exactly. So unless the videos profiting from this scheme include such a disclaimer... it's pretty unethical imo.

Press/promotion/advertising/marketing. These are all pretty much the same thing.

There are many Youtube celebs that have more influence than some gaming websites. Who cares if the promotion is in video format instead of text? Press is just a fancy word for news media. YouTube is the press these days.

It really isn't. In the press, you get critics who will say this game sucks, or that movie is terrible. If it was the same thing as promotion, advertising, and marketing, you would never hear a negative review. Imagine if Siskel and Ebert had been paid to give two thumbs up by the movie studios, do you think they would risk their careers doing that? Of course not. A random YouTube celebrity on the other hand, may have no such foibles. Why do you think Jeff Gerstmann left Gamespot to form Giant Bomb? Because the man has integrity.

tbm24

I wouldn't equate Press with something like Advertising or marketing but that's just how I view it I guess.

So we are mad when youtube demonetizes people's videos and now we are mad that a company is re monetizing them? I don't even own an XBO but this seems like a natural fit for the way people consume media now.

Some details about the deal have surfaced,

proxy.png

Source,
http://www.igameresponsibly.com/201...personalities-good-money-to-promote-xbox-one/

Top Bottom