• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Sorcery trailer

nasos_333

Really?

Sorcery-Ice-Environment.jpg

Looks pretty good to me. Definitely Santa Monicas studio magic at work.

Why the big difference between this pic and the OP ones ?

What a generic story.

Is there any genuine platforming in this? I don't want it to be combat arena/shit puzzle/combat arena/shit story/combat arena.

EGM1966

So this is the first Move specific title to need both Wand & Sub-controller and not be on rails?

I mean excluding Killzone 3 and other games you can optionally use Move with.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Looks decent. I like the new sidekick idea. And it looks better than the trailer we got a few months ago.

Based on reviews and quality of Move implementation I will pick it up.

No, don't think there was ever supposed to be. There are puzzles though.

The puzzles will be kiddy shit. I'm looking for something in there to keep me interested. Repetitive combat won't do that. . .and that shite story won't either.

I was really, really looking forward to this. . but I'm steadily losing interest.

The puzzles will be kiddy shit. I'm looking for something in there to keep me interested. Repetitive combat won't do that. . .and that shite story won't either.

I was really, really looking forward to this. . but I'm steadily losing interest.

Nothing really stands out to me. I don't know why ppl expect this to be a killer app from what we've seen.

Vlodril

Trailer looks good. Far better than the reveal one. I guess i have to find where i have stashed my move gear.

AndyD

aka andydumi

It gives the same vibe as Free Realms. And I think its targeted at a similar young teen audience. So its not a heavy duty RPG hardcore game, and it shows. But that's perhaps what they aimed for and it seems they achieved it.

Sony has said that these next few years will be focused on expanding the PS3 market past the hardcore game crowd into the family/yougster game arena. And that's fine by me.

It gives the same vibe as Free Realms. And I think its targeted at a similar young teen audience. So its not a heavy duty RPG hardcore game, and it shows. But that's perhaps what they aimed for and it seems they achieved it.

Sony has said that these next few years will be focused on expanding the PS3 market past the hardcore game crowd into the family/yougster game arena. And that's fine by me.

If that is indeed the plan, they need at least 4 big Move games in the same quality bracket as this constantly on the go. Move support has been incredibly patchy.

Let's be honest here, the game IS clearly aimed towards kids, it already looked that way since the first reveal. What might be interesting for us though is the move implementation.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Sounds interesting. Will you posting a video analysis by any chance?

I definitely will but I need to wait for the review code. Sony asked not to publish any video or screenshot from the preview code due to its unfinished state (ie.
there are some serious frame rate issues - which I'm not even supposed to mention :p
). Heck, it even lacks the ending credits!

The game is 90% combat and there is very little/simple puzzle solving or exploration (progression/levels structure are akin to God of war, not Zelda).

You can upgrade you spells/character stats during the game but don't expect too much depth. It's very lite on the RPG side of things.

While I did enjoy the game, I did so mostly because of the unique controls and how well they work rather than the quality of the game design. There are a lot of things I didn't like. For example, I hate not being able to move around with the shield up, and as much as I love Move, there is quite a bit of pointless waggling that could have been easily either removed altogether or supported by some meaningful mechanics. For example, rebuilding collapsed structures (rotate Move clockwise) or putting gems into slots (push Move forward) or creating potions (tilt or shake the Move depending on the ingredient) are all actions that don't require any meaningful thinking. It's just you performing specific motions to trigger an inevitable outcome. It's not really that bad as it adds to the feeling of doing magic (much like spamming circle in GOW to open gates adds to the feeling of making an extra effort if you get what I mean), but there is surely some lost potential in there. I do love to open chests with a simple whirl of the Move tho. That feels pretty cool.

On that point, I don't get why to rise pillars or open chests you simply do a motion in their proximity (which is fast and cool), while in order to rebuild structures (collapsed bridges etc) you have to first press X and then start doing the motion. Why not let me do the motion rightaway just like with the pillars/chests?

Anyway, another missed opportunity comes from the whole turn into animal magic thing. Remember the rat transformation? You can only do that in specific spots, and what you get from it is the ability to go through a tiny opening which is the only way to progress through the level. What's worse is that there is literally no new gameplay involved during the "rat segments". You simply push the stick forward until you reach the other end of the tunnel or whatever and automatically rever to human form. Pretty pointless. There is only one situation in which you can die as a rat, but it's so easy you get a trophy if you die.

Overall, if this was a traditional game, with traditional controls, I wouldn't recommend it. But as a Move title, it's definitely one of the most accomplished ones by virtue of its unique combat system and spell-mixing mechanics.

I definitely will but I need to wait for the review code. Sony asked not to publish any video or screenshot from the preview code due to its unfinished state (ie.
there are some serious frame rate issues - which I'm not even supposed to mention :p

The game is 90% combat and there is very little/simple puzzle solving or exploration (progression/levels structure are akin to God of war, not Zelda).

You can upgrade you spells/character stats during the game but don't expect too much depth. It's very lite on the RPG side of things.

While I did enjoy the game, I did so mostly because of the unique controls and how well they work rather than the quality of the game design. There are a lot of things I didn't like. For example, I hate not being able to move around with the shield up, and as much as I love Move, there is quite a bit of pointless waggling that could have been easily either removed altogether or supported by some meaningful mechanics. For example, rebuilding collapsed structures (rotate Move clockwise) or putting gems into slots (push Move forward) or creating potions (tilt or shake the Move depending on the ingredient) are all actions that don't require any meaningful thinking. It's just you performing specific motions to trigger an inevitable outcome. It's not really that bad as it adds to the feeling of doing magic (much like spamming circle in GOW to open gates adds to the feeling of making an extra effort if you get what I mean), but there is surely some lost potential in there. I do love to open chests with a simple whirl of the Move tho. That feels pretty cool.

On that point, I don't get why to rise pillars or open chests you simply do a motion in their proximity (which is fast and cool), while in order to rebuild structures (collapsed bridges etc) you have to first press X and then start doing the motion. Why not let me do the motion rightaway just like with the pillars/chests?

Anyway, another missed opportunity comes from the whole turn into animal magic thing. Remember the rat transformation? You can only do that in specific spots, and what you get from it is the ability to go through a tiny opening which is the only way to progress through the level. What's worse is that there is literally no new gameplay involved during the "rat segments". You simply push the stick forward until you reach the other end of the tunnel or whatever and automatically rever to human form. Pretty pointless. There is only one situation in which you can die as a rat, but it's so easy you get a trophy if you die.

Overall, if this was a traditional game, with traditional controls, I wouldn't recommend it. But as a Move title, it's definitely one of the most accomplished ones by virtue of its unique combat system and spell-mixing mechanics.

Thanks for that.

I'm out.

Im looking forward to this. since they first demoed it; I thought it looked neat. the potion mixing stuff was cool

Hype.

nice thing about move games; they tend to have lower RRPs too.

Bradach

Looking forward to trying it. Thanks for the detailed impressions TTP

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I know it's "easy for me to say", but Sony should've launched Move with this game.

I'm not totally sold personally, but a younger audience would probably eat this up. The only question is whether enough people know wtf Move is at this point.

Datura looks far more interesting to me.
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/122/1220150p1.html

Absolutely. My kids love casting (and mixing) spells. My younger son (5yrs old) loves to summon fire tornados (wall of fire > tornado spell) and hit it with arcane shots which then ricochet as fireballs. That's something that involves performing 5 different gestures mind you (clockwise whirl to call the fire spell > horizontal flick to create a fire wall > counterclockwise whirl with Move pointed upwards to call the air spell > horizontal flick to create tornado > Move button tap to revert to arcane shots > forward flicks to send shots into the tornado) and he manages to pull it off with impressive consistency :D

To be honest, I love doing that as well :D

Absolutely. My kids love casting (and mixing) spells. My younger son (5yrs old) loves to summon fire tornados (wall of fire > tornado spell) and hit it with arcane shots which then ricochet as fireballs. That's something that involves performing 5 different gestures mind you (clockwise whirl to call the fire spell > horizontal flick to create a fire wall > counterclockwise whirl with Move pointed upwards to call the air spell > horizontal flick to create tornado > Move button tap to revert to arcane shots > forward flicks to send shots into the tornado) and he manages to pull it off with impressive consistency :D

That's all very well, but if Sony spent this long making the game, changing the art style etc instead of putting it out sooner without actually marketing it (and by marketing it mean marketing, not Sony's shitty cheap marketing) then its all a waste.

This really is 'the' Move game. Fail to market it Sony and you've given up on the platform.

Agent X

That's all very well, but if Sony spent this long making the game, changing the art style etc instead of putting it out sooner without actually marketing it (and by marketing it mean marketing, not Sony's shitty cheap marketing) then its all a waste.

This really is 'the' Move game. Fail to market it Sony and you've given up on the platform.

I'd love for them to give this game a real marketing push. There might be some real challenges, though, since this is an "original" property and not an established franchise.

There was a thread here a couple of weeks ago about Kinect Star Wars, and in this post I brought up a point about Sony's marketing of Move games in general, and why they might have such obstacles that Microsoft doesn't have with their tendency to embrace recognizable brand names for Kinect games instead.

If I recall correctly, Microsoft approached LucasArts with the proposal of doing a Star Wars game for Project Natal (now Kinect). They've gone through a lot of trouble to get popular, well-known childrens' properties adapted to Kinect--Disneyland, Sesame Street, Nickelodeon, Pixar, and so on. If third-parties won't make the games, then Microsoft takes on the task themselves.

Sony has done some excellent work with developing great original games for Move. The problem from a marketing perspective is that they don't have any recognizable properties attached to them.

Kids don't want to play games with strange names like "Start the Party", "TV Superstars", "PlayStation Move Heroes", or "Medieval Moves: Deadmund's Quest". They want to play games with Mickey Mouse and SpongeBob SquarePants and the characters that they already know and love.

This spring, when parents go to the store to shop for a motion-controlled game for "family fun time", are they going to gravitate toward a game named "Sorcery", or a game named "Star Wars Kinect" (note the bold)?

This has nothing at all to do with game quality, just the pure marketability and brand name recognition. It probably wouldn't hurt Sony if they were to take a page from Microsoft's book, adapt one or more of their existing Move game engines, and "tack on" a popular license to produce a new and more marketable game.

Now, don't get me wrong. I personally love the fact that this is "Sorcery" with (seemingly) solid gameplay, rather than some big-name Disney/Dreamworks/WB/Nickelodeon game with little to no worthwhile gameplay to back it up. In this case, I wouldn't ask them to change a thing.

But what if we could have both the gameplay and the high-profile license in the same game? Microsoft has "Kinect Star Wars"...well, what if Sony were able to strike a deal with LucasArts and reskin a game like Medieval Moves: Deadmund's Quest into "Move Star Wars"? What if Sorcery's engine could be adapted to a Harry Potter game, or Start the Party's engine adapted into a Disney or Nickelodeon game?

I'd love for Sorcery to be even a moderate success. I just hope they can get a good pre-release demo out, because otherwise most people (whether they own a Move or not) are not going to know or care about this game is even with a fairly large amount of advertising.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

I am still very disappointed about what they've done to this game.

Sadly, the few gameplay parts in the trailer (was story focus)are still not close to the Sorcery 2010 version which was more like an atmospheric dungeon Crawler mixed with Zelda and it's puzzles with more magic and no swords,now the game look like some sort of EA harry potter action shooter clone.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I am still very disappointed about what they've done to this game.

Sadly, the few gameplay parts in the trailer (was story focus)are still not close to the Sorcery 2010 version which was more like an atmospheric dungeon Crawler mixed with Zelda and it's puzzles with more magic and no swords,now the game look like some sort of EA harry potter action shooter clone.

Yeah, I thoroughly enjoyed the E3 2010 demonstration, but my interest has since waned.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Yeah, I thoroughly enjoyed the E3 2010 demonstration, but my interest has since waned.

I have no interest at all in this new shootery version of Sorcery, and it's funny/sad because I bought Move just for Sorcery.

I really want to know why they changed it this way,was the 2010 version concept impossible to done right with the Move controller ( I doubt it) or was it just beyond the ability of the developers,or did Sony or some marketing focus group just wanted this change for sales or something.

I have no interest at all in this new shootery version of Sorcery, and it's funny/sad because I bought Move just for Sorcery.

I really want to know why they changed it this way,was the 2010 version concept impossible to done right with the Move controller ( I doubt it) or was it just beyond the ability of the developers,or did Sony or some marketing focus group just wanted this change for sales or something.

What are you talking about? The "shooting" element has always been there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llAI7lNd6OQ

saichi

the trailer doesn't look very exciting... and am I only one thought the boy aged 20 years whenever there is a close up shot of his face?

Thanks for the impressions. Sounds great! I wasn't too impressed with the Sorcery trailer, tbh, but you did such a remarkable job on those Killzone 3 vids that I'll take your word for it.

zroid

Banned
I'm really not a fan of the final boxart. That monster design looks super unappealing, and way too God of War-ish.

6961820648_f606c0aeae.jpg

Top Bottom