• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smite |OT| Release The Quacken

K.Sabot

Edit : oh wait wrong guys. I read the thread as Strife. haha.

This game was fun in beta, honestly thought it had released already.

I wouldn't call it a new take on MOBA.. Super Monday Night Combat did it a couple years ago now.

Smite looks interesting anyways...

I think it's different, SMNC was part a shooter and that changed the pace and the action, how the lanes worked, etc. Smite is a bit more traditional, I think.

I've never played a moba, and even after reading up on them I still don't really "get it".

Anytime care to help me out here or have some good links?

Do all these games consist of is pvp in various battles arenas?

Yes, it's pvp in battle arenas.

Think not on strategy games like Warcraft or Starcraft which is where the genre appeared, but think in terms of an online action game. CoD, Battlefield, etc.

Make it third person. Make it fantasy. Ok?

Now instead of being focused on TDM or CTF or Conquest or Domination, make it focused around a 5 vs 5 mode called 'Tug of War'.
This Tug of War mode consist of each the two teams advancing to opposite ends of a long narrow map, trying to reach the enemy base and destroy it, outpushing the enemy team, and with some intermediate fixed positions you have to destroy to advance and allow to recover if you are losing.

Now make it part RPG with level advancement in the game, killing enemy players make you level up. This is important because the snowballing effect, the bigger you grow, the more easy is to kill the enemy and grow even more. So that makes a game where you have to be very very careful in not being killed, because you don't the enemy to outlevel you and start the snow ball effect.
It's a fresh take where in other online games you die every few seconds and it doesn't matter.

Now make it a class based game, like Battlefield. Except instead of having 4 or 5 classes, you have 50-100, and they change a lot between them (thing TF2, for example). Lots of possible combinations in your team, lots of style of playing, lots of replayability.

...and that's a MOBA.

By the way, I didn't know what to make the clan tag since [GAF] was apparently already taken. I just made it [SMGAF] for now, and I can change it after the 7-day cooldown if anyone has suggestions. 1-5 letters, only letters.

Kenai

The ultimate God Pack is a huge bargain imo since unless you play a lot (a LOT) it will take forever +1 to get all the gods and there's quite a few I would never have guessed I'd like until I played them a few times (and visa versa). Gods even in the same role can play really differently from each other (in fact most do).

In other news I really hope they fix some bugs with the deserter thing since I've been getting that a lot for no reason. Join a queue, tab out, don't get the warning, come back to deserter status when even if I decline it shouldn't deserter me. Then i will log into the game for the first time after playing several games the night with no trouble and have 0 favor.

Making it hard to get level 30 before beta is over. :(

Tiermonster is a wonderful site, as it certainly helps me decide what I need to build when I am playing gods that I am not completely familiar with. I am not sure about the other one though.

The other one, Smite Repo, is interesting because it shows the stats of the last 200 games played, and you can see the trends in the meta (the most picked items and gods, the gods with best scores, etc).

Dignitas won Cognitive in the weekend tourney just an hour ago. Nice games.

Right now the US scene is Cog > Dignitas > Snipe > Denial.

Been playing this on and off today for the first time. It's pretty awesome. I like it more than DOTA2 and League already. The direct control you have over your movement and combat feels so good. I love Neith, she's awesome. I do like how they simplify item buying and ability leveling by making it auto. That is super convenient and takes out a huge barrier to entry for most players. The only thing I see lacking is replayability, you don't get new items or gear like in DOTA2, you just, play matches. And that's fun in and of itself but it doesn't look good for my long term interest in the game. I could grind out points to unlock heroes and costumes I guess or I could cut out the middle man and buy the 3-4 dudes I think look cool with actual money and be done with it.

All in all it's a lot of fun, but rather than being the next obsession for me it will be fun for a random match here or there and to see what new heroes or costumes they add.

You gotta love being a trolly Ra. Gem of Iso is hilarious when used with him. Especially if you are cackling like a crazy birdman while doing it.

Internets

I noticed Chang'e's artwork in the background of the official website looks slightly different from her artwork in her bio

Manbig

If you're on the fence and don't care much for the standard 3 lane conquest mode, the arena mode is quite fun. Just expect to run into even more people that don't know what they're doing and trying to do everything in their power to infuriate you.

If you're on the fence and don't care much for the standard 3 lane conquest mode, the arena mode is quite fun. Just expect to run into even more people that don't know what they're doing and trying to do everything in their power to infuriate you.

Good lord is that the truth. Sometimes the shit people do is just too much to take. But damn is it great when people are cooperative. I just had a MOTD where I went 17-1 as Kuangdor the Windinator.

Ferny

I had not played this in quite a while. It is a really fun game though. I ended up getting the $30 pack as it seemed like an awesome deal. Need to get back into it.

Valygar

I've played a bit this weekend and I really liked it, maybe the few friends that don't play LoL like this game better. It's tons of fun, and has a low barrier entry. I love the atmosphere and designs too.

The only shame, I won't be able to level up to 10 by tomorrow :(

I still have not played conquest, but arena and assault are quite fun. I think I prefer arena, although assault is better than lol's aram (more all in battles and less poking/hiding in bushes)

Liberty4all

Banned
The nice thing about assault when new is that you can actually legitimately say "I'm new with this god" since its random who you get.

Tabby

The nice thing about assault when new is that you can actually legitimately say "I'm new with this god" since its random who you get.
I like Assault but I hate getting a terrible champion, I was kicking all sorts of ass until I got Ares.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
I like Assault but I hate getting a terrible champion, I was kicking all sorts of ass until I got Ares.

ares is pretty great specially in the low level bracket where no one knows to buy beads or knows if their ult can break cc or not just get double cdr off the bat shoes of focus and breastplate of valor and go for greater blink not combat blink so you can blink in and ult every 30ish seconds its pretty great also focus leveling your shackles and searing flesh first

Tabby

ares is pretty great specially in the low level bracket where no one knows to buy beads or knows if their ult can break cc or not just get double cdr off the bat shoes of focus and breastplate of valor and go for greater blink not combat blink so you can blink in and ult every 30ish seconds its pretty great also focus leveling your shackles and searing flesh first

I'll keep that in mind but I probably won't be playing him again unless I was forced to.
I went like, 0-10 on Ares earlier.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
I'll keep that in mind but I probably won't be playing him again unless I was forced to.
I went like, 0-10 on Ares earlier.

heh hes not bad little more help i usually go a mix of damage and survivability this is my regular build for tanks

shoes of focus, breastplate of valor, obsidian shard, ethereal staff, sovereignty, bulwark of hope

side note i notice a lot of new people dont know you can shackle 3 times as long as you dont miss and you get them off in a timely manner same for thors ability to teleport to his hammer after he throws it

Tabby

heh hes not bad little more help i usually go a mix of damage and survivability this is my regular build for tanks

shoes of focus, breastplate of valor, obsidian shard, ethereal staff, sovereignty, bulwark of hope

side note i notice a lot of new people dont know you can shackle 3 times as long as you dont miss and you get them off in a timely manner same for thors ability to teleport to his hammer after he throws it
I'm still in the process of learning items but I'll keep that in mind.
Yeah I didn't know that either; I'm usually an ADC or support kinda guy though.

Is the meta same as LOL?
ADC and support in the long lane, APC in the mid lane, solo short lane and 1 jungler?

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
no idea what the current meta is i havnt played my 30 in like a year or so i stick to smurfing where it dosnt matter what you do wanna roll 5 melee phys? why not 5 tanks well then tanks for coming

edit: once bumbas mask came out thats when this game went fucking bonkers with metas used to be 2-1-2 the way i like it but now its all over the place i remember seeing people trying 1-3-1 and 1-1-1 with 2 jungle bonkers you people are nuts

krpiper

Looks interesting I'll give it a whirl.

How are the bots? will they teach me something about the game? or are they just glorified statues

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
the only decent bots are the ones for arena they just now added them to conquest and they even said dont expect much from them for now but the ones in arena are pretty decent not player level but will help you get your skills down although they used to be pretty funny they would attack stupid fast and not even need to look at you to shoot abilities at you love that backwards ymir glacial strike

BurningNad

Wow I forgot this was being posted. I'll be joining the GAF clan when I have time to play again this week; been super busy lately.

That being said, I love this game. I've been playing since August of last year and there is no sign of slowing down. It's got the quality and support a game needs to last and the devs listen to and interact with the community very frequently.

I've put well over a thousand hours (I wish there was an in game time tracker) at least and I won't be stopping any time soon, especially if I find more people to play with as I only play with one IRL friend. IGN is BurningNad.

I look forward to making this an active thread and hopefully build our own recently sized Smite community here.

VoxteX

Tiermonster is a wonderful site, as it certainly helps me decide what I need to build when I am playing gods that I am not completely familiar with. I am not sure about the other one though.

smiterepo is my site, a small side project that I made and do my best to maintain to this day. It's good for getting some info about god/item/active uses/bans, etc. Use it if you find use from it. The profiles can be quite useful since they cover all of the different queues ( http://smiterepo.com/#/gods/profiles/Agni ).

Smite as a game deserves a lot more attention, it is easily one of the best MOBAs out there but frequently overlooked. May have something to do with how long it's been in beta and how often the game has significantly changed. Comparing the game now to even just a year ago and it is completely different.

fuzaco

Is the meta same as LOL?
ADC and support in the long lane, APC in the mid lane, solo short lane and 1 jungler?

Pretty much yeah. Some things you might need to know is that the supports here are usually tanks, so mostly guardians, but using warrior support is getting much more popular. There are very few healer gods, and they're much better in the solo lane, so it's better to go with a tank if you're supporting. In solo lane, everything can go as long as you have sustain, usually healer mages or warriors, but there are some ADCs and assassins and even guardians who are great there as well.

Also don't expect any kind of meta until you're at least lvl20. I kinda miss those days, playing without a meta is fun.

BurningNad

One tip I have to give, even though it wasn't solicited... Don't smurf. Learn everything on your main account. Don't ruin other people's games. It may be fun for you, but it wastes everyone else's time. I'm sure people know the deal from other mobas, though.

Also: Who all can invite to the GAF clan? I'm interested in getting tagged.

One tip I have to give, even though it wasn't solicited... Don't smurf. Learn everything on your main account. Don't ruin other people's games. It may be fun for you, but it wastes everyone else's time. I'm sure people know the deal from other mobas, though.

Also: Who all can invite to the GAF clan? I'm interested in getting tagged.

I can and I think I made rygar an officer so I think he should be able to? What's your in-game name on SMITE?

EDIT: nvm got you an invite

Liberty4all

Banned
Pretty much yeah. Some things you might need to know is that the supports here are usually tanks, so mostly guardians, but using warrior support is getting much more popular. There are very few healer gods, and they're much better in the solo lane, so it's better to go with a tank if you're supporting. In solo lane, everything can go as long as you have sustain, usually healer mages or warriors, but there are some ADCs and assassins and even guardians who are great there as well.

Also don't expect any kind of meta until you're at least lvl20. I kinda miss those days, playing without a meta is fun.

I should make a smurf account. It's been well over a year since I played with no meta. I'd probaly end up raging at some poor noob though which is one of the reasons I haven't bothered. That and what burningnad said.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
if you do it like i do it should be fine help anyone you see struggling dont rage at them even enemy players send them whispers also i usually let the new players "get away" while i chase them if they are doing really badly

I think one of the flaws of the game is that right now at high level there is only one meta, it would be interesting to make viable a pair of variations more, and not knowing what the enemy will use until you start playing.

BTW, they resurrected the official forum
http://forums.smitegame.com/

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Who are all the Pushers? Neith and Ra can push lanes great, I love playing as them.

ao kuang is king of push but really any god that has a aoe or a line clear is great so like

ao kuang (tornadoes then vel vel vel)
neith (spirit arrow )
apollo (so beautiful)
agni (path of flames, flamewave)
he bo (water cannon, water spout)
anhur (impale )
anubis (grasping hands, locus swarm)
chaac (never has to use mana just keep getting stacks and throw your axe for days)
chronos (stop time)
hel (repulse then switch back to white stance and mana regen then switch back and repeat)
poseidon (tidal surge, whirlpool)
isis (wing gust)
nu wa (flame strike, clay soldiers)
scylla (crush)
vulcan (inferno cannon, backfire)
wukong (magic cudgel)
zeus (chain lightning, detonate)
zhong kui (expose evil, exorcism)
ullr (bladed arrow)

Lots of gods have a "good clear" but to gain the "Pusher" tag, imo they need more than that, something that gives them sustain or good tower damage or help push more than others.

I would limit the list to the likes of

-Ra (because apart of clearing the wave with the beam, he can heal the minions and himself and debuff enemy minions, great for pushing)
-Apollo (passive helps in damaging the tower and he is great split pushing)
-Nu Wa (extra minions apart of damage abilities)
-Vamana (two good clear abilities, and the Ult can be used for sustain)
-Anubis (3 of 4 abilites are AoE damage)
-Hel (both AoE damage and AoE heal)
-Chang'e (a bit of AoE damage and heal, and the passive makes you stay on lane without having to back to buy)
-Hades, Zhong Kui. Decent clear, some sustain, some tankiness.

From that list I would drop Chronos and Zeus, in comparison with other mages their clear is a bit slow and they don't have the extra push omph that these ones have.

Infographic_Beta_Stats.jpg

Top Bottom