• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming May 2017 | Got 99 problems but 32 bit ain't one

Oynox

Sherlock Holmes: The Last Breath (Ink Spotters) by Three Story House, LLC
https://appsto.re/de/Hqnsgb.i
screen520x924.jpeg
screen520x924.jpeg
screen520x924.jpeg
screen520x924.jpeg
screen520x924.jpeg

The guys behind the Ink Spotters' interactive-fiction adventure "The Art of Deception" released this for free. I know their previous game was not very well received around here but I guess if it is free one might take a look.

raiot

I picked up a few games for my Ipad Pro 9.7 this evening but i REALLY want Final Fantasy Tactics. Does anyone know if it will still work on iOS 11? It's nearly 20 bucks so i'm not buying if it's breaking in 3 months...

I also have an Ipad Pro 9.7 and redownloaded FF T. I get the update notification warning from it... so your best bet is to wait if Square Enix releases a Patch.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
New Injustice game out, shame the controls are still complete wank. Why can't they get this right after 3 previous games? :/

So a Zelda game in the works for mobile. Know it won't be Breath of the Wild good but fingers crossed to be something decent.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/nintendo-developing-the-legend-of-zelda-smartphone-game-1494820189
At best, it'll be a better Oceanhorn or it'll be in the vein of the GBA/DS games like Minish Cap, or the classic games

Worst, it's something like Pokemon GO or match-3 or something

Middle of the road is a Lara Croft/Hitman GO-style game, being a puzzler or another genre that captures the essence of the series in a new genre

awp69

At best, it'll be a better Oceanhorn or it'll be in the vein of the GBA/DS games like Minish Cap, or the classic games

Worst, it's something like Pokemon GO or match-3 or something

Middle of the road is a Lara Croft/Hitman GO-style game, being a puzzler or another genre that captures the essence of the series in a new genre

Hoping for the former category. Definitely not a social game like Pokemon GO. And, while they're good games, the fall back on the Lara Croft GO style games is getting a bit tired.

haveheart

Banned
Hi there,

I'm not sure if this is the right place but I just got my first iPhone (stuck with Android since my first smartphone 8 years ago).

So I got a iPhone 7 and I'd like one or two games. Nothing that needs me to react fast in any way, I only play mobile games when I'm commuting (not long distance though), waiting for appointments, or when I just want to zoom out for 10 to 15 minutes. It should be relaxing and at the same time somewhat intriguing.

I loved Triple Town, 10000000, and You must built a boat on Android. I'm not necessarily a huge match3 fan but these games were just the right mixture of involvement without stressing me out.

I have no idea what to get for the iPhone. I'm currently looking at a shortlist consisting of FTL (does this work well on the small screen?), Hidden Folks, Rollercoaster Tycoon, Papers, Please.

There are probably a few dozen games I missed out on. But maybe you can give me some guidance...

If this is not the right place, please point me to the right direction and ignore this post :)

Matt Frost

Hi there,

I'm not sure if this is the right place but I just got my first iPhone (stuck with Android since my first smartphone 8 years ago).

So I got a iPhone 7 and I'd like one or two games. Nothing that needs me to react fast in any way, I only play mobile games when I'm commuting (not long distance though), waiting for appointments, or when I just want to zoom out for 10 to 15 minutes. It should be relaxing and at the same time somewhat intriguing.

I loved Triple Town, 10000000, and You must built a boat on Android. I'm not necessarily a huge match3 fan but these games were just the right mixture of involvement without stressing me out.

I have no idea what to get for the iPhone. I'm currently looking at a shortlist consisting of FTL (does this work well on the small screen?), Hidden Folks, Rollercoaster Tycoon, Papers, Please.

There are probably a few dozen games I missed out on. But maybe you can give me some guidance...

If this is not the right place, please point me to the right direction and ignore this post :)

This is the perfect place to ask. Welcome!

I give you my list of must haves for your playtime, decide what you want:

Leap Day (free, Nitrome)
Death Road to Canada (zombie survival)
Run-a-Whale (premium endless runner)
Steredenn (horizontal shooter with roguelike)
Downwell (vertical action)
Penarium (Super Crate Box style)
Rodeo Stampede (endless runner with zoo managment)
Card Thief (stealth card game, dont know how to describe it)
OXENFREE (adventure with narrative), Red's Kingdom (the definitive ball roller), After the End (puzzler like Monument Valley) dont fit the description but are equally awesome

haveheart

Banned
This is the perfect place to ask. Welcome!

I give you my list of must haves for your playtime, decide what you want:

Leap Day (free, Nitrome)
Death Road to Canada (zombie survival)
Run-a-Whale (premium endless runner)
Steredenn (horizontal shooter with roguelike)
Downwell (vertical action)
Penarium (Super Crate Box style)
Rodeo Stampede (endless runner with zoo managment)
Card Thief (stealth card game, dont know how to describe it)
OXENFREE (adventure with narrative), Red's Kingdom (the definitive ball roller), After the End (puzzler like Monument Valley) dont fit the description but are equally awesome

Thank you so much!

I'll have a look at these.

Edit: ok, card thief looks awesome. I think this might be my first iOS game.

I just saw that To the Moon is now available on iOS?! You really shouldn't play this game in public.

Hi there,

FTL is iPad only.

What are some genres that you might be interested in? What do you like to play on other gaming platforms?

haveheart

Banned
FTL is iPad only.

What are some genres that you might be interested in? What do you like to play on other gaming platforms?

I think I'm mostly interested in puzzlers or traditional board/card games with a twist. As I said I loved triple town, 1000000, and you must build a boat on my android.
Im currently addicted to prey as I'm into immersive sims/fps rpgs, basically anything sci-fi but also fantasy(w) and medieval stuff.
I played papers, please for a few hours on pc, I can't remember why I stopped.
There should be some thinking required, I like games that make me feel smart (portal, witness etc.).
I hope this helps :)

I think I'm mostly interested in puzzlers or traditional board/card games with a twist. As I said I loved triple town, 1000000, and you must build a boat on my android.
Im currently addicted to prey as I'm into immersive sims/fps rpgs, basically anything sci-fi but also fantasy(w) and medieval stuff.
There should be some thinking required, I like games that make me feel smart (portal, witness etc.).
Puzzlers that make you feel smart:
• Device 6
• Year Walk
• After the End
• Human Resource Machine
• Mini Metro

Strategy games that make you think
• Warbits
• Lost Frontier
• Steamworld Heist
• The Battle of Polytopia

Have you played King of Dragon Pass? If not, you must get it. Fantasy 4X/grand strategy with interactive fiction/random events that shape your tribe

Also the Sorcery series. Easily one of the best fantasy series in recent years

As for puzzlers, got to give a second shoutout for Device 6, as well as Card Thief, Pan Pan, Perfect Paths, RYB, Hexcell series, Snakebird

868-Hack and Imbroglio are fantastic strategic roguelikes.

HotHamBoy

Dungeon Warfare
Runestone Keeper
Galactic Keep
Planar Conquest
Slayaway Camp
Sproggiwood
Swap Sword
Solitairica
Ticket to Earth

haveheart

Banned
Puzzlers that make you feel smart:
• Device 6
• Year Walk
• After the End
• Human Resource Machine
• Mini Metro

Strategy games that make you think
• Warbits
• Lost Frontier
• Steamworld Heist
• The Battle of Polytopia

Have you played King of Dragon Pass? If not, you must get it. Fantasy 4X/grand strategy with interactive fiction/random events that shape your tribe

Also the Sorcery series. Easily one of the best fantasy series in recent years

As for puzzlers, got to give a second shoutout for Device 6, as well as Card Thief, Pan Pan, Perfect Paths, RYB, Hexcell series, Snakebird

868-Hack and Imbroglio are fantastic strategic roguelikes.

Dungeon Warfare
Runestone Keeper
Galactic Keep
Planar Conquest
Slayaway Camp
Sproggiwood
Swap Sword
Solitairica
Ticket to Earth

Thanks for all your recommendations. That'll keep me busy for a while. I report back once I got a few of them.

Sorcery and King of Dragon Pass seem to be some kind of traditional PaP/DaD roleplaying games?
I saw that you need sound to play Device 6? That'snot going to work for me...
Probably two more important aspects: You can play it w/o sound and I can drop it any time without losing too much progress or missing something.
868 looks really cool.
I think I'm going with Card Thief for now, though.

Haven't looked into this much but heard good things. I'm curious though why shouldn't it be played in public?

This will happen:

Because you will flood the public area with tears probably.

Matt Frost

Thanks for all your recommendations. That'll keep me busy for a while. I report back once I got a few of them.

Sorcery and King of Dragon Pass seem to be some kind of traditional PaP/DaD roleplaying games?
I saw that you need sound to play Device 6? That'snot going to work for me...
Probably two more important aspects: You can play it w/o sound and I can drop it any time without losing too much progress or missing something.
868 looks really cool.
I think I'm going with Card Thief for now, though

Card Thief is awesome. Glad you liked at least one recommendation. I was worried since you wanted games that made you feel smart and that list was mostly timewasters. If you want game like that i recommend you 80 Days. Visual novel with inventory management desition making exploratory game with a goal (yeah i also dont know know how to describe it). Is endless but have different endings, based on the choices you make. Maybe it fits what you want

Hi there,

I, too, am a commuter.
The games that have hung with me the most are:

Bonza. A word game thats sort of like a crossword puzzle.

Ascension. A card game, deck builder, the iPhone app is perfection, you can play against the AI or against real people. People also like Star Realms, that is another game based off of Ascension, it has a single player campaign.

Juice Jam. This hits the match 3 bug for me.

The Creeps. This is my tower defense game of choice, it has tons of levels, and my favorite part is that you can destroy the background for added resources.

Solitairica. This is an RPG version of solititaire. Its also a Rogue-like.

Reigns is also semi rogue-like, its Tinder(Bumble, etc) as an rpg, so you are swiping left or right to make decisions as you try to survive the longest.

The newest additions are
BBTAN, which is that one more try game
Star Wars Force Arena is a themed version of Clash of Clans, its only multiplayer.

haveheart

Banned
^ Thank you, will look into them.

Card Thief is really good. Exactly what I was looking for. Very challenging, cool art design, kind of like Thief as a card game. I love it!

Whoops, apparently I forgot to subscribe to the may thread and have been behind by about a month on mobile game news!

I hadn't heard that Planescape Torment had been released, I might pick that up since I've heard such good things about the game and I've always wanted to try it.

I'm still waiting on a Final Fantasy 9 sale. Really want it, but $21 can get you a lot of good stuff on iOS.

Matt Frost

Nooooooo!!! Worm Run and Golden Ruby Games are no longer in the AppStore!! Damn :( Between that and Mini Dash im never updating to iOS 11... Apple, please do an emulator to run older apps :(

awp69

Old Man's Journey is really fantastic. While it's relatively easy to play, moving terrain to allow him to continue, the memories you unlock, music and artwork are phenomenal. It's a bit of an heartstring tugging experience. Haven't finished yet, but highly recommend it.

On the complete other side of he spectrum, anyone who has any fondness for brick breakers needs to check out Arkanoid vs Space Invaders. The combination of the two works great together and mechanics like being able to swat back the bullets with the paddle going up and down make it a blast to play.

Grabbed Old Man's Journey.

As for Chroma Squad, anyone here play the PC version? It looks kind cool on the combat side but I'm hesitant because I really don't like management sims and the whole "studio" side of the game is something I may hate.

Studio management is a non-issue. Aside from deciding on what marketing avenues you want to spend money on, there's no management to speak of.

PittaGAF

For the older people here, Lode Runner 1 is awesome.
For some reason is free???
No iap, no ads, the full game...I don't understand.

After you do the first tutorial 28 levels (boring and super easy) you unlock the real deal....the classic game, which is pretty awesome.
So many memories!!!

awp69

For the older people here, Lode Runner 1 is awesome.
For some reason is free???
No iap, no ads, the full game...I don't understand.

After you do the first tutorial 28 levels (boring and super easy) you unlock the real deal....the classic game, which is pretty awesome.
So many memories!!!

Saw that and after your glowing review I might have to pick it up! Was worried about the F2P model but sounds like there isn't one. LOL

PittaGAF

Saw that and after your glowing review I might have to pick it up! Was worried about the F2P model but sounds like there isn't one. LOL

I have no clue why it's free.
Only downside is the ultra long tutorial with like 15 dumb easy levels.
The classic game is hard as nails, as I remembered...stuck on level 6.

awp69

I have no clue why it's free.
Only downside is the ultra long tutorial with like 15 dumb easy levels.
The classic game is hard as nails, as I remembered...stuck on level 6.

Played a bit. Good times and, yeah, not a hint of freemium. Wonder if they accidentally released it without a price?

Top Bottom