• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video Game fan art -- when it's better than the official thing

Azure J

RurouniZel said:
http://www.studio-zel.com/images/Fanart/SonicFanArtContest_v10.jpg

Sonic CD. I drew this for the Black Knight contest. Lost sadly. :(

So very late but Jesus, this is awesome.

orioto

Good Art™
The hell, i'm using a LOT of photo in my work, but it's for matte painting, and i'm definitely not in the industry anyway:D

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Arcipello said:
I work with 5 other concept artists at my studio and apart from collecting photographs for inspiration on colours and atmosphere none of us actually use photos in our work, and yes we are now in the early stages of production and its all very concept art heavy. i guess we just put more emphasis on the art aspect of it.

Yeah, Im jealous :) Good to see how it works elsewhere

For me it was mostly on my last project, my AD was very much into photo manips, paint dubs and all that crap.

Im on a new project with a different AD now though, and hes all into getting everything drawn, so Im much happier in that aspect.

Extollere said:
Yep. However if you take a much better artist such as Adam Hughes - who also photographs and shoots his own reference in studio. You can't tell it's there because A) He's a really good fucking artist to begin with and B) he uses the photos as an aid, and draws them more interpretively so you can't tell the gesture was taken from a photo. It isn't just a literal copy like what Land is doing.

I love Adam Hughes. I'd kiss him right on the mouth. He could draw ME in a Wonder Woman outfit and make me look hot.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I'll just post some stuff dementia missed.

rogner5th_kagari3.jpg

rogner5thbabywolf_shinra.jpg

009.jpg

h4.jpg

rogner5th_halloween.gif

silvergun_what.png

bj00rn_

Banned
Rorschach said:
Are you not aware of this one?

34g0g3r.gif

I'm just sayin'...

Well, even though I'm not a fan of this piece, I have to say that there is in most cases absolutely nothing wrong with using a photo or other similar means to get where you want. The pic is obviously not just slapped together with unprocessed stock photos.

Poolman

Banned
LaserBuddha said:
I stopped right here once I realized you weren't an artist.

Yes, every artists has something they aren't as good at. You want to go somewhere like Massive Black and spew this shit about working around your faults? Do that if you want, deviantart will probably be around for a long time. They hand out asspats like books at the library over there. If you really want to be a great artist though, you have to confront and overcome your weaknesses, and get OUT of your comfort zone or you might as well find something else to do.

The rest of your post rambles on, but I'd like to thank you for pointing out that most great artists in history drew from life. I never realized this (I am in fact, clinically retarded) and feel bad for decrying the practice. ...Oh wait, I went into great detail about the proper utilization of live figures in the service of art.

Definitely not an artist. There's nothing wrong with using anything if it means a good looking image, unless of course you are in some diabolical contest of skill! You and Greg Land should suck each others' cocks.

Nope. Using it as a learning experience helps you. Using it to "get by" to finish a piece not only doesn't help you, it hurts you.

Again, nothing anyone here asked about or disagreed with. All this means is that you disagree with my point yet don't actually understand it. Either that or you do understand but are throwing out strawmans left and right like caltrops out of desperation.

Isn't the whole idea of art subjective? Who are you to say what is and what isn't in someone else's eyes? It's been done a million times, and I don't think GAF is the place for the "What is Art" discussion anyways.

unreon

sammy said:
Here's some of my favs that i've done over the years:

mono1.jpg
My goodness, what a fantastic piece of work.

Let me just say that I stumbled on this over at DA awhile back, and must have used this wallpaper for several months at least.

You are amazing :O

CTLance

Did we have this one already?

source

Artistically it might not be "up there", but finding the perfect motif to draw is part of the skillset too.

As I've said before, fiddling with the artstyle is awesome.
i6gwv9.jpg

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Red Scarlet said:
What happened in here? I don't see a lot of pictures anymore.

We ran out of internets!

Heres some Ive made, since the thread is slowing down:

darkstalkers_tribute.jpg

guile_vs_abel.jpg

legend_of_zelda.jpg

frog.jpg

CTLance

2ytpao0.jpg

Soooo hyped for the Wiiware release.

Oh yeah, I probably should repeat that I'm posting from an unsorted unsourced leech folder. I can't draw my way out of a wet paper bag.

Blueblur1

I'm a big fan of Eamze's work.
Omit_style_2_by_EAMZE.jpg

And I always enjoyed this piece by Rafael Valencia. There used to be a ton of them over at some old art site that no longer exists (the name escapes me).
rafsonic01.jpg

And some Abigail Ryder art. I'm a big fan of her work since she and Dave Bulmer started The Sonic Ideal fan comic. Never made it past 3 issues. :(

sonic1col.jpg

knux_rouge.jpg

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Holy fuck at Spaniard's Frog and the latest Zelda pics.

Goddamn, I've gotta go find some good shit now.

Also, WTF @ Snake, HK. :lol

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Raging Spaniard said:
What color scheme? Gray?

:lol

I dunno, Raiden in-game seemed a bit washy due to the lighting.

comparisonraiden.jpg

I really like the solid gray and black in the above art, sets the mood for Raiden's character.

/has no idea on the technical terms of what he's talking about, or if that makes sense, sorry.

HK, where are you finding all of those?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Metroidvania said:

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg98/Metroidvania/comparisonraiden.jpg

I really like the solid gray and black in the above art, sets the mood for Raiden's character.

/has no idea on the technical terms of what he's talking about, or if that makes sense, sorry.

In my Smash folder. Just random pictures from DA, /v/ and other places. I love crossover art and there isnt a bigger crossover in gaming.

All of this stuff is just from my random pickup folder on my comp. If DA had better browsing and searching I'd pull stuff from there but its a pain in the ass.

Raging Spaniard

Metroidvania said:

Sorry I didnt mean to give you crap, its a nice drawing.

Went trough my faves on Deviantart, found some good stuff :)

SAGAT__by_DeathBYsodaCAn.jpg

68b43ea7fc4b8d5608ffa2ff49ee3589.jpg

Oldwork___E_ko__FFIX__by_sweetmoon.jpg

C_h_r_o_n_o___T_r_i_g_g_e_r_by_elpinoy.jpg

Jim_by_Beloved_Creature.jpg

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I think I have every one of those pics in my DA favs somewhere. I love the Trigger piece especially

Blueblur1

That EWJ piece really stands out (to me at least). I wish Shiny actually did something new with that character.

Does Shiny still exist?

Prax

I don't favourite many fanarts, even if they're amazing, but here are a few of the ones I DID manage to save as favourites in my DA!:

expressions_by_nemurism.jpg

<3 StarFox!

ae462161ec3df8ad6bb4ff3455310e16.png

Cute!

SpiritTracks_by_Sii_SEN.jpg

How timely!

I drew this one before he did though! AND before finding out how Link and the train really looked (I added on-model Link in after):
Get_on_the_Hype_Train_by_Meibatsu.jpg

--- okay enough about me. You don't need to see my crappy stuff. XD

All_You_Need_Is_Love_by_nemurism.png

Ability to use limited MSpaint default palette... AWESOME.

SPACE_OUTLAW_by_nemurism.jpg

So awesome..

Top Bottom