• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA breaks promise of including BF 1943 with the PS3 version of BF3

sajj316

Not too banged up since I have 1943 anyway. Sucks that they are doing this though. The 1943 community is still alive and kicking on the PS3??

Dyno

It was a weak gift because if you're even a little into DICE games then you have 1943. That was a game that came in the drought of summer and everyone was playing the hell out of it.

Fess up, there are a lot of BF novices doing the complaining.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
D4Danger said:
Battlefield 3 customers

2wch9mur0hg.gif
Meanwhile on PC

bf32011-10-2523-16-50-vopr.png

:p

It's BS but I can't say I'm upset too much since I already have 1943 on PS3 and went with PC anyways.

RealMeat

Banned
sajj316 said:
Not too banged up since I have 1943 anyway. Sucks that they are doing this though. The 1943 community is still alive and kicking on the PS3??
I didn't have any problem finding a game when I played it on a whim a week or so ago.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
provo57 said:
I didn't have any problem finding a game when I played it on a whim a week or so ago.
Same here. Always run into packed games no matter when.

Chinner, I'm running it on my 1360x768 monitor right now with no compromises (everything at max settings) and VSYNC. I haven't tried an alternative AA solution but the game has never dipped below 50 in SP. It's weird because even the GAF PC MP games last night my FR stayed at least above 55 the whole time. And that was a 64p room!

So 768p and almost constant 60fps with all the bells and whistles. I will take that!

sajj316

provo57 said:

Awesome. Thought that EA took down the servers. Guess I was wrong. Love 1943! Game on ..

That I'm not going to buy this game at all. Thanks for the beta, but I cannot endorse this behavior as a gaming consumer. Respect your customers EA, we don't owe you nothing.

Stop being so entitled, everyone. These devs have starving children, and that free game might have meant two extra days without food.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Really lame that they backed out of this but at least 1943 isn't very good so I doubt anyone would want to play it after BF3. It seems odd that they would back out of it though considering it already comes free with the Ultimate Edition of BC2. It's not like many people are still buying it or they're still supporting it.

Their mouths shouldn't be writing checks their ass can't cash. I don't know what the big deal is with giving out codes. They did it for the PS3 version of BC2. Each version after a certain point got a free copy of 1943.

soultron

Banned
BigJiantRobut said:
At least PS3 owners won't have to suffer through rounds of BF1943 now. I'm sure 3 is superior in every way. even on consoles.

That said, it's still sort of bullshit to promise one thing and deliver another.
I don't know why people would be excited to have 1943, to be honest. With BC2 and BF3 out, it means the player base will be even smaller than it already is. The game doesn't control well at all compared to BC2 or BF3, so most people would probably play it for a few rounds and then never touch it again.

I think it's shitty for DICE/EA to have done this, sure. But I don't know whether it's DICE's problem for opting to include this in the first place (because the entire game is practically made irrelevant by BC2/BF3) or the consumer's for getting excited as such a non-announcement as 1943 being included.

I say all of this as a proud-ish owner of 1943. It'd be something worth getting excited over (and now, disappointed about) if it existed in a vacuum where BC2 and BF3 didn't make it seem terribly boring and unpopulated.

snap0212

Hm. So they can't keep their promise (giving PS3 players Battlefield 1943 for free), don't want to give a reason and then lie to their customers? The exclusivity is nothing new, it was announced a long while ago. Saying everyone gets it instead of BF1943 is just a lie.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
What the fuck!? So EA screws up, and then decides to screw up PC/360 players even further?

As somebody who plays on PC I don't give a shit when PS3 gets DLC, I don't know why you feel screwed? There isn't cross-platform play, it isn't like the PS3 players are going to get a head start and then dominate your noobness a week later.

Woo-Fu said:
As somebody who plays on PC I don't give a shit when PS3 gets DLC, I don't know why you feel screwed? There isn't cross-platform play, it isn't like the PS3 players are going to get a head start and then dominate your noobness a week later.

I am getting it a week later. That's a problem.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
If shit like this slides what's next?

Publishers not releasing as many dlc updates as they promised to season pass purchasers?

I can honestly see that happening one day, and there will still be a handful of people going; yeah well, you bought it at a discount and don't need it anyway cause the community isn't that big anymore.

Maybe this will become the hot new method to gain preorders. Promise something and then just forget about it. What are those peon gamers going to do about it anyway?

Rawker

jling84 said:
Hahaha a week early. At least CoD gives the 360 what seems like 6 months exclusivity, it's so damn long.

there is money involved in that deal though i really don't think there is money involved between EA and Sony on this deal. maybe a i'll scratch your back if you scratch mine.

Dyno

I understand people want to vent over a promise broken but the stakes aren't high enough to merit the effort. 1943 was $15 a couple years ago. A nice little game but it's real value today is questionable.

I bought BF3 on Day 1, no pre-order, and it came with Back to Karkand pass, a free gun pass, and the invite to the Mass Effect 3 MP beta. Oh yeah, and it actually had the game too! Guys, how much stuff is enough stuff?

I remember when we use to buy a game, get just the game, and being pretty happy.

jorma

is now taking requests
snap0212 said:
Hm. So they can't keep their promise (giving PS3 players Battlefield 1943 for free), don't want to give a reason and then lie to their customers? The exclusivity is nothing new, it was announced a long while ago. Saying everyone gets it instead of BF1943 is just a lie.

I figure they knew a while ago that the 1943 on bluray would not happen, likely because of shitstorms coming from microsoft. And when sony gave them grief because they backed out of that promise they got the one week exclusivity as a sweetener.

Just guessing ofc, but i have a hard time thinking they backed off because of the revenue they'd be losing on future 1943 copies sold.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Jaffaboy said:
Does anyone really care about 1943 anymore? Really? Come on now.

I have the game, I bought it on my second account, wouldn't mind having it activated on my main account too

It was a cool bonus that was announced at E3, might've pushed some people towards the PS3 version
Dead Space 2 + MOH 2010 and their respective games say Hi (I got both due to having the bonus in it)

No one is saying Pre-Order Cancelled or the only reason I was picking up BF3 was for 1943

It would've been a nice bonus. Am I going to lose sleep over it, NO

1943 is awesome, hell rooms are still packed on the PS3.

This just feels like the Catwoman as Day 1 DLC, announce/show certain thing, and right before or now after (with 1943) release say yeah, not gonna happen

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
StuBurns said:
Out of interest, is that because you wanted '43, or as a punishment for the takesy backsies?

I don't care for BF 1943. What pisses me off is the whole "here's some free content we're going to give you for owning this platform...ahh...no, no, scratch that. Instead, we are going to give you the ability to pay us for DLC earlier than everyone else. Nice deal right?"

olimpia84

I was actually looking forward to get BF1943 since I never played it (even though it shows I'm a 1943 veteran on my EA profile?). This is fucking bullshit, I hope they redeem themselves and send free codes for those that got the game.

cRIPticon

Wow. So much outrage about cutting a freebie, a game which we all already played to death. Is a nice to have, but it being cut does not mean I no longer want to play BF3.

cRIPticon

thehypocrite said:
That I'm not going to buy this game at all. Thanks for the beta, but I cannot endorse this behavior as a gaming consumer. Respect your customers EA, we don't owe you nothing.
Yeah! How dare they cut a free game you have already played, the cutting of which does nothing to diminish the new game you are purchasing! If you feel that strongly you should do exactly what you are doing, voting with your wallet. Good for you.

Pikma

Banned
"Look, PS3 money fans, I know I know, We promised to give you a free game with your BF3 purchase, but I don't think that's completely fair for you, you deserve better, that's why we are coming today to tell you an awesome news: We, for the first time in history, will only accept your money, not PC not 360, YOUR money for one whole week, Yeah!!!! That's how much we love your money you! Thank You for all your support, we love you too!"

cRIPticon said:
Wow. So much outrage about cutting a freebie, a game which we all already played to death. Is a nice to have, but it being cut does not mean I no longer want to play BF3.

Thank you for completely overlooking the principle of the thing.

Yes, everyone's already played it.
Yes, BF3's just as good with or without the bonus.

However, they promised something and replaced it with virtually nothing. I fail to see how--in principle--this is not even a little upsetting.

I frankly couldn't even care less about this game, but this upsets me as someone who both works in and enjoys the industry. It sets a bad precedent that breaking promises (ones promoted at major events, no less) to consumers is "acceptable."

What would happen if Nintendo suddenly decided the regular edition of Zelda: Skyward Sword would no longer come with the soundtrack CD, even though they promised it would? And not even say anything about it until after the game was out. Is that just "okay?" It doesn't affect the quality of game itself, but it was promised and advertised as included.

cRIPticon

Lupin the Wolf said:
Thank you for completely overlooking the principle of the thing.

Yes, everyone's already played it.
Yes, BF3's just as good with or without the bonus.

However, they promised something and replaced it with virtually nothing. I fail to see how--in principle--this is not even a little upsetting.

I frankly couldn't even care less about this game, but this upsets me as someone who both works in and enjoys the industry. It sets a bad precedent that breaking promises (ones promoted at major events, no less) to consumers is "acceptable."

What would happen if Nintendo suddenly decided the regular edition of Zelda: Skyward Sword would no longer come with the soundtrack CD, even though they promised it would? And not even say anything about it until after the game was out. Is that just "okay?" It doesn't affect the quality of game itself, but it was promised and advertised as included.
Not overlooking, but stuff happens. They did not diminish the game you were buying in any way, removed something you were not paying for, and replaced it with, at least, something. Too much fervor over this, IMO.

And, as another poster stated, vote with your wallet if you are that upset.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
What the hell, they gave Battlefield 1943 for free with the rerelease of Bad Company 2, what is stopping them from doing it again? Maybe this is their way of telling us they are killing the servers.

snap0212

cRIPticon said:
Yeah! How dare they cut a free game you have already played, the cutting of which does nothing to diminish the new game you are purchasing! If you feel that strongly you should do exactly what you are doing, voting with your wallet. Good for you.
cRIPticon said:
Battlefield 1943 is, in this case, not simply a free game that you get on top of your purchase. Electronic Arts & Sony used Battlefield 1943 to advertise their upcoming game (Battlefield 3). They made you think the product (Battlefield 3) is a better deal/worth more than it actually is because it's not what they advertised. It's a fact that Electronic Arts is not selling the product in the form they've advertised it.

Top Bottom