• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo eShop update officially released [New Update: Fixes Ridge Racer 3DS issue]

sfog

jarosh said:
the mindnumbingly inept implementation of the dsi store baffles and annoys me to this day: no sorting, no filtering, no option to see new content, slow as shit, 2 games per page. if you release a new game that starts with a "Z"... tough shit. no one will ever come across it.

I don't really disagree with your complaints, but the DSi shop does have a number of those options under the "Find Titles" tab, such as a top 20 popular list, a full newest to oldest list of all titles, sorting by genre or publisher, and a search function.

This may be an odd question, but I was wondering if anyone was in the same boat as me.

I have a 3DS (obviously) but I also kept my beautiful, gorgeous, "omfg I love this thing" DSi XL, and just can't bring myself to transfer my e-shop stuff to the 3DS. I mean, I really can't think of a reason to, other than having the ability to log the hours spent playing. Which I really don't care about.

I guess this was a silly question, but I was getting ready to do the switch and asked myself wtf I was doing...

jgkspsx

DidntKnowJack said:
This may be an odd question, but I was wondering if anyone was in the same boat as me.

I have a 3DS (obviously) but I also kept my beautiful, gorgeous, "omfg I love this thing" DSi XL, and just can't bring myself to transfer my e-shop stuff to the 3DS. I mean, I really can't think of a reason to, other than having the ability to log the hours spent playing. Which I really don't care about.

I guess this was a silly question, but I was getting ready to do the switch and asked myself wtf I was doing...
I refuse to transfer my stuff. Don't give in! It looks far better on its native hardware.

watershed

Banned
sfog said:
I don't really disagree with your complaints, but the DSi shop does have a number of those options under the "Find Titles" tab, such as a top 20 popular list, a full newest to oldest list of all titles, sorting by genre or publisher, and a search function.

What I don't get about the 3ds eshop design is the lack of persistent tabs on the bottom screen. The search bar is persistent and that's great. But there should be a persistent tab for new releases, best sellers, recommended for you, and stuff like that. Right now shopping takes way too much scrolling.

^ Yea it is quite low.

DidntKnowJack said:

Well if you want to have your games on the big and beautifull XL screens then yea no reason to transfer.

But like you said the only reason to transfer is the Activity Log. (and having it all on one system) Which is why I did transfer. I love counting playtime stats. Acording to my 3DS I've played over 180 hours total D:

M-PG71C

GeekyDad said:
Whoa, whoa, whoa...slow down there, buddy. Accessible to gamers? Nintendo? Those kinds of radical ideas could get you in trouble. Shh...

I miss the NSider forums. Closed 'em only months after becoming a sage.

I remember those days, that was nearly four years ago. Good times, they closed them the minute I went to college. I had a lot of fun on them. Whew, starting to feel slightly old considering I'm not in college now but rather I work as a healthcare admin and I'm about to start on my masters. Son of a gun, that really does feel like yesterday though...

I digress, they have a Facebook page now, they just opened it up a few weeks back. Not quite like a blog though.

womp said:
Yeah the SGB version would be fantastic...

m1JEql.jpg

Sorry for the crappy quality...I couldn't get the lighting right (Probably have the backlight up too high). Either way, day one purchase. It was always one of my favorite GB titles.

Even though i'll probably buy it again for 3DS, i recently bought a DK'94 cart while in japan, and have been playing it on my GCN Game Boy Player..... anyone know if you can get it to display the full colour version as above? I'm only getting GBColor shades by default.

Am I able to transfer DSiWare back to the DSi? Yeah I don't see the point of transferring it to them other than the activity log. The battery is pretty bad on the 3DS compared to the DSi and the DS games dont look as good on them.

Cute, my 3DS was in SpotPass mode and the blue light turned on, now it's asking me to start a new system update ("it's not necessary to connect to the internet.")

Also, have you guys noticed how Game Notes has borders since the 2.0 update?

Madao

MrDanger88 said:
Am I able to transfer DSiWare back to the DSi? Yeah I don't see the point of transferring it to them other than the activity log. The battery is pretty bad on the 3DS compared to the DSi and the DS games dont look as good on them.

nope. it is a 1-way trip like pokemon migration.
i'm in the no-transfer club too. the 3DS plays old games awfully. the activity log isn't enough to push me over.

Sammy Samusu said:
Cute, my 3DS was in SpotPass mode and the blue light turned on, now it's asking me to start a new system update ("it's not necessary to connect to the internet.")

? I dont notice and borders in game notes. Just checked + I used it alot in Link's Awakening and did'nt notice any borders.

Its cool that this update was downloaded automaticly. I'll have to purposly not update next time to see how that works since I manually did it. Seems like it doesnt auto update to a couple hours after the update hits. But its still good.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
So, is there any info on what today's update does -- if anything? I assume it's "behind the scenes" fixes for the Ridge Racer glitch and such, but it would be nice to know.

Sammy Samusu said:

What do you mean by "borders," exactly? I ask as I haven't noticed anything different.

watershed

Banned
DavidDayton said:
So, is there any info on what today's update does -- if anything? I assume it's "behind the scenes" fixes for the Ridge Racer glitch and such, but it would be nice to know.

What do you mean by "borders," exactly? I ask as I haven't noticed anything different.

There was some official info about fixing the ridge racer bug and other stuff but I saw it on a banned site so I can't link it here.

I think the borders thing might be that it originally was just solid white on the entire screen, but now it's got some kind of gray border around the outside. I've only used game notes once so far, and that was to draw a big, multi-pieced whale using each of the game notes panels.

am I the only one who thinks that certain dsiware games look actualy better on 3DS?

i.e.: Soul of Darkness on my friends 3DS shits all over mine on my DSi.

GringoJB

DavidDayton said:

Yeah, I was kinda hoping for some more details, too... the site that I first read about it on just said that it included the normal "general stability and performance fixes". I was kinda hoping to hear that the Ghost Recon freezes had been patched away, too! (Or maybe that was fixed in the previous update... I haven't played in a while!)

womp

the androgyne said:
Even though i'll probably buy it again for 3DS, i recently bought a DK'94 cart while in japan, and have been playing it on my GCN Game Boy Player..... anyone know if you can get it to display the full colour version as above? I'm only getting GBColor shades by default.
You would need an SNES and a SuperGameboy for the colors and border. Many GB games back in the day did this such as well such as Kirby Blockball and Metroid II.

womp said:
Yeah the SGB version would be fantastic...

m1JEql.jpg

Sorry for the crappy quality...I couldn't get the lighting right (Probably have the backlight up too high). Either way, day one purchase. It was always one of my favorite GB titles.
Whoa whoa whoa, it's the Super GameBoy version?! AWESOME! DK '94 is one of my all-time faves! Fantastic game, shame so few remember it.

iamaustrian said:
am I the only one who thinks that certain dsiware games look actualy better on 3DS?

i.e.: Soul of Darkness on my friends 3DS shits all over mine on my DSi.
Xscape seemed to look a bit better, but could just be my mind playing tricks.

womp

metsallica said:
Whoa whoa whoa, it's the Super GameBoy version?! AWESOME! DK '94 is one of my all-time faves! Fantastic game, shame so few remember it.

Xscape seemed to look a bit better, but could just be my mind playing tricks.
That is a pic I took of it being run on an emulator via my 3DS. Nintendo is officially releasing it on eShop today though and I urge everyone to snag it - utterly fantastic game.

I doubt Nintendo is including the awesome SuperGameboy support though. :(

Effect

Fernando Rocker said:
I love how the firmware update was downloaded automatically during the night... nice feature...

The eShop still needs a lot of work thought.

True. A proper browse feature that isn't filter based is needed. Even the DSiware store had that though it was based on price. The Wii Shop has that as well. No reason why the eShop couldn't have it.

womp said:
Nintendo is officially releasing it on eShop today though and I urge everyone to snag it - utterly fantastic game.

Forget it, I'm not buying it without Super Game Boy support.

dock

the lack of Super Game Boy colour support is really upsetting. It's upsetting on the game boy player too, and upsetting on the Game Boy Color... but it's even more disappointing here where they're selling it as a standalone product.

I bought DK94 just a couple of months ago to play on my gameboy player, but I am glad to buy it again to have a portable copy.

It really feels like Nintendo purposely insulting hardcore fans by ignoring Super Game Boy support. I appreciate that it's important for them to get a Mario and a Donkey Kong game on the system ASAP, but it would have been so nice to have Super GB colour support. :(

edit: and womp is breaking hearts with his misleading photo ;_;

GeekyDad

My main disappointment is that we still don't have a 3DS original downloadable title. 3D Classics are great and all, but shouldn't the eShop have launched with at least one original title for 3DS? Nintendo give the impression they're a mom-and-pop developer with the way they build a corral around wild horses, but come on, this is one of the biggest companies in Japan -- in the world. That bare-minimum shit's gettin' old.

Teknoman said:
Is it just me, or is the Zelda Oot trailer volume lower than it should be?
ciD_Vain said:
I think they're all like that.
I'm with Teknoman; I thought it was way quieter than the rest. Too bad, nice music.
the androgyne said:
Don't think so. Game Boy Color and Game Boy Advance also ignored SGB palettes, and Game Boy Player is pretty much a screenless GBA.
womp said:
That is a pic I took of it being run on an emulator via my 3DS. Nintendo is officially releasing it on eShop today though and I urge everyone to snag it - utterly fantastic game.

All the pictures at Nintendo.com show full gray.
dock said:
edit: and womp is breaking hearts with his misleading photo ;_;
Well, a card to do similar things yourself would only set you back the price of a few VC GB games. Though admittedly, staying COMPLETELY above-the-board and ripping your own cartridge would be a bit more trouble.

GJS

GeekyDad said:
My main disappointment is that we still don't have a 3DS original downloadable title. 3D Classics are great and all, but shouldn't the eShop have launched with at least one original title for 3DS? Nintendo give the impression they're a mom-and-pop developer with the way they build a corral around wild horses, but come on, this is one of the biggest companies in Japan -- in the world. That bare-minimum shit's gettin' old.
The Japanese eshop had 6 original 3DS titles from launch, 7 counting Pokedex 3D which launches tomorrow.

They also have an extra 3D classic over everyone else.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/eshop/software/index.html

Sianos

GeekyDad said:
Aren't they working on a 3DS downloadable title that they showed on their E3 website?

And wasn't is western themed? :p

Effect

I think the excitement I had, such as it was, over the eShop is just gone now. Figured it would happen as it happen with the Wii Shop Channel, Xbox Live, and PSN. Just glad I never let that excitement go to my head. Always remind myself never to make purchases during that phase so I've still have yet to make a purchase. However with Zelda:OoT coming soon I think Link's Awakening can wait. I just hope releases aren't boring and slow like the Wii Shop/DSiWare/WiiWare. Though I assume they will be. If so then checking weekly for what is added might not be worth it. Checking monthly on the other hand or every two months might be the better way of going about it.

NoE must have heard us as there's an abundant amount of trailers up on the E-Shop now, for Asphalt 3D, Sports Island 3D and Sodoku. And none of them are actually in 3D. :D

So hey. What exactly is Donkey Kong 94? I hear GAF talk about it all the time, but what's its deal? Why is it so good? It's up on the eShop for $4 today and I dunno if I want to go for it or not.

I wish Nintendo would stop releasing games I already own. I only have Links Awakening DX, Donkey Kong, and Metroid II for my GameBoy Color. So, obviously, the next GB release after DK will be Metroid II.

digita1alchemy said:
I wish Nintendo would stop releasing games I already own. I only have Links Awakening DX, Donkey Kong, and Metroid II for my GameBoy Color. So, obviously, the next GB release after DK will be Metroid II.
It's not Nintendo's fault you own the three good Game Boy games.

Ketch

I was really hoping for the Xevious 3D classic remake this week... I don't understand why it's out in Japan but not out here.... it's just a digital download, all they have to do is upload it to the NA server or something, no boxes or distribution involved.

jonno394

digita1alchemy said:

If it is i'll be very happy.

shadyspace said:
It's not Nintendo's fault you own the three good Game Boy games.
Tetris, Tetris DX, Qix, Kirbys Pinball Land and Mystic Quest are also good. Not to mention all the Pokemon games.

EDIT: I forgot a few... Super Mario Land 2, Wario Land, Tetris Attack. Probably some more I'm forgetting.

PigSpeakers said:
So hey. What exactly is Donkey Kong 94? I hear GAF talk about it all the time, but what's its deal? Why is it so good? It's up on the eShop for $4 today and I dunno if I want to go for it or not.
It's not as unique now as it was in 1994. Now we've seen many updates on classic games, and even the continuation of this type of game in the Mario vs Donkey Kong series.

Basically, it takes the idea of the original Donkey Kong and greatly expands it. The first four stages are even shrunken-down Game Boy versions of the original four arcade stages. But Mario's got a much greater number of moves. Things like backflips, swinging around ropes and jumping up, crossing from rope to rope like in Donkey Kong Jr. It gets more puzzly past those recreation stages. There'll be a key you'll have to find a way to get to the keyhole. Have to avoid/kill/move enemies, use items that do things like create short-lasting bridges or ladders, use switches to control conveyor belts. Every several stages there will be a boss stage that's more about just surviving hazards and reaching Donkey Kong/Pauline, at which point he'll run off again. 100 stages total.

EDIT: This video of what you get pressing nothing at the title screen shows off the new moves. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcHwhb98LWU

Top Bottom