• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PS3 died and I’m trying to live to tell the story

carlos

ChryZ said:
Damn, sadly I have to report: my PS3 60GB BC NA/US model died on me tonight. Disc still trapped in the drive, straight to blinking red light when switched on :(

Unfortunate to hear that from one of my warhawk brothers ;)

Try the reflow if you don't want to pay $150 to sony and you should at least be able to back up your stuff and get the disc out...

ChryZ

carlos said:
Unfortunate to hear that from one of my warhawk brothers ;)

Try the reflow if you don't want to pay $150 to sony and you should at least be able to back up your stuff and get the disc out...
Thanks, man. Yeah it really sucks. I'm checking my options at the moment.

Repair via Sony might be a big problem. Not sure how much they'd like my import US/NA PS3 at the Euro tech support.

I'm going for a Slim, then I'll try to reflow the fatty for data transfer and deactivation. I should be able to get a heat gun from a friend, but I have no idea where to buy "flux" (maybe ebay or something).

Foil

Well, there goes my 60GB PS3... Playing the BC2 demo and it just powered right off. Now whenever I try to turn it back on the system just makes a click sound and goes to no lights at all. Three cheers for system hardware being complete crap these days! :(

I wonder how much Sony is going to want to fix this crap since it's a fully BWC model.

noah111

Still Alive
Foil said:
I wonder how much Sony is going to want to fix this crap since it's a fully BWC model.
$150, and then you get back a refurb of the same model.. i'd check craigslist for places that fix it cheap, then try and sell it (stating it's been fixed obviously).

Foil

Discotheque said:
You got lucky with your customer service person. I got some moronic retard who sounded like he didn't give a shit about anything. And also I told him I was in Edmonton, Alberta and he asked me 3 times if that was in Quebec or Ontario.

FUUUUUUUUUUU

My old 60 GB pooped out on me and they want me to pay 230 for the repair. I'll get it fixed through other methods, and if that doesn't work then I'll just pick up a slim.

They want $230 CDN to repair a 60GB PS3? Damn...

I guess I'm screwed for now then. No way I'm paying that much to get this fixed, and I can't swing the cost of a new console right now. :/

Sentry said:
$150, and then you get back a refurb of the same model.. i'd check craigslist for places that fix it cheap, then try and sell it (stating it's been fixed obviously).

I guess that's $150 US? For now I'll try my Dreamcast fix method. Leave it unplugged for a week then come back to it and hope it magically starts working again.

noah111

Still Alive
Foil said:
I guess that's $150 US? For now I'll try my Dreamcast fix method. Leave it unplugged for a week then come back to it and hope it magically starts working again.
Yup, not sure how much for Canada but it's probably not less. And despite what you may have heard about the PS3, it's not dreamcast. :lol

Well I'm back to say, if you're thinking about trying to repair your YLOD, don't bother. Mine died again last night playing the BC2 demo. Lasted about 4 days. Time to just get a Slim.

I'm starting to believe Microsoft and Sony did all this on purpose.

my reflowed 60gb PAL PS3 worked for an hour before YLODing again :D

now it does start, works fine about a minute and then everything slows down, freezes, and crashes.

indicating an overheat problem but doing it in a minute? doesnt sound like an overheat issue since the fan is working.

any tips on the slowdown issue?

noah111

Still Alive
BolognaSoup said:
Well I'm back to say, if you're thinking about trying to repair your YLOD, don't bother. Mine died again last night playing the BC2 demo. Lasted about 4 days. Time to just get a Slim.

Believe me now when I say professional fix > self fix? :p Sucks though, you might get 50-100 bucks for it online if you're lucky. :\

regs

BolognaSoup said:

Has sony admitted to any sort of problems yet? Or are they just going to ignore it like the ps2.

Just curious, the problem doesn't seem as widespread as the RRoD but I keep hearing more and more people having problems.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
regs said:
Has sony admitted to any sort of problems yet? Or are they just going to ignore it like the ps2.

Just curious, the problem doesn't seem as widespread as the RRoD but I keep hearing more and more people having problems.

They wont admit anything....Back when my launch unit died i called them up to report it and referred to my issue as "YLOD", and the dude acted like he had no idea what it was, and made me explain exactly what was happening like 3 times. I later caught him in his BS when he later admitted to me in that same call that "he goes on gaming forums all the time in his spare time, and has never even heard of YLOD", yet he still was able to tell me also that there is such a "low percentage" of people that have that problem. Pretty good deduction to make about something you've "never heard of"...:lol

My take is that Sony knows that there's some sort of underlying issue but they refuse to take any action on it. A 90 day warrantied refurb for over $150 doesn't count as taking care of the customer. To me, even worse...even if your PS3 dies within that first year, you still get a refurb. IMO, if it dies in the first year, you should automatically get a new retail-boxed system.

Ive said it before (in this thread) and i'll say it again...unless they did some 'behind the scenes' detective work on the underlying YLOD causes and addressed them, we're going to be seeing the same issues in about 2 years with our Slims.

Baker

Banned
My 60gig (250 now) is starting to become noticeably louder so I'm becoming paranoid. I'm completely out of the loop when it comes to PS3's breaking, so I have some noobish questions.

- Even if I do run the backup utility and buy a Slim, I'm going to lose a lot of saves because many are locked now, right? That wasn't a problem when I initially upgraded the hdd a couple years ago.

- I can't just throw my current hdd into a Slim can I?

I'm just trying to be proactive about this crap so I'm not left with a broken system during this upcoming four game rush (and no bluray player).

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Baker said:
My 60gig (250 now) is starting to become noticeably louder so I'm becoming paranoid. I'm completely out of the loop when it comes to PS3's breaking, so I have some noobish questions.

- Even if I do run the backup utility and buy a Slim, I'm going to lose a lot of saves because many are locked now, right? That wasn't a problem when I initially upgraded the hdd a couple years ago.

I'm just trying to be proactive about this crap so I'm not left with a broken system during this upcoming four game rush (and no bluray player).

If you buy a Slim now, and both machines have firmware 3.15 on it, you can do a full transfer of your HD contents from the old system to the Slim. When done, all the data is gone from the old system. I havent done this, but there are others on here who have and it supposedly transfers locked saves too.

You cant just put your old HD into a Slim. The system will recognize that its not the same HD and will want to format it.

noah111

Still Alive
Baker said:

That's right, you'd lose whatever game saves that don't allow you to copy them (i.e locked). And no, you can't simply insert it into the slim and have all your content as before, since it will detect it's from a different system and force you to do a reformat. The solution is to buy a slim and do the transfer method, since it restores basically everything. Then try and sell your fat PS3 to get some money back.

[EDIT] beaten! :lol

Baker

Banned
sloppyjoe_gamer said:
If you buy a Slim now, and both machines have firmware 3.15 on it, you can do a full transfer of your HD contents from the old system to the Slim. When done, all the data is gone from the old system. I havent done this, but there are others on here who have and it supposedly transfers locked saves too.

You cant just put your old HD into a Slim. The system will recognize that its not the same HD and will want to format it.
Thanks much (and you too Sentry).

So if I get a Slim, I should plug it in first and make sure it's 3.15 before I do the backup?

* One last lame question. It can be anything >= 3.15, right?

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Baker said:
Thanks much (and you too Sentry).

So if I get a Slim, I should plug it in first and make sure it's 3.15 before I do the backup?

* One last lame question. It can be anything >= 3.15, right?

I would setup your Slim first and make sure it's 3.15 (thats the latest as of now). I think Slims come with 2.76 (at least mine did back in October).

Rich!

I'm getting worried that my 60gb launch unit might fail at any time.

I could get a second hand slim for £170 at work, I'm just not sure if it's worth swapping them. Hm.

Baker

Banned
sloppyjoe_gamer said:
I would setup your Slim first and make sure it's 3.15 (thats the latest as of now). I think Slims come with 2.76 (at least mine did back in October).
Ah my bad. For some reason I thought it was up to 3.21 now. I have no idea where I made up that number. :lol

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Baker said:
Ah my bad. For some reason I thought it was up to 3.21 now. I have no idea where I made up that number. :lol

There was a thread here on GAF a week or so ago that supposedly a new update was coming (3.2X..not sure of the number) that had something to do with 3d gaming....thats probably where you got that from. Unless im totally off base, but i think 3.15 is the latest right now. :lol

Sentry said:
Believe me now when I say professional fix > self fix? :p Sucks though, you might get 50-100 bucks for it online if you're lucky. :\

I paid basically nothing to do it. Now I can still send it to Sony to repair or replace then resell it on ebay for significantly more. It was worth the shot.

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Ive said it before (in this thread) and i'll say it again...unless they did some 'behind the scenes' detective work on the underlying YLOD causes and addressed them, we're going to be seeing the same issues in about 2 years with our Slims.

Don't they use the smaller processor though which is supposed to run cooler? If so, then maybe they'll be fine.

MCX

Banned
Man, I was really prepared to buy a PS3 until I stumbled upon this thread. Is it safe to say that PS3's have a 100% death rate? I'm now leaning toward buying a 360 since at least if it dies, Microsoft will replace it for free rather than charge half the machine's value.

Rich!

I may actually get rid of my 60gb in favour of a slim. I just rely on it too much for it to die suddenly without warning (it's my freeview/digital box, blu ray player, media centre, and obv gaming is a factor too).

If I trade it in at work, I'll get £100 for it. A PS3 Slim is £220 second hand, and I'll get 20% off as staff discount. All in all, the slim would be £80.

Should I, gaf?

Crisis

Banned
MCX said:
Man, I was really prepared to buy a PS3 until I stumbled upon this thread. Is it safe to say that PS3's have a 100% death rate? I'm now leaning toward buying a 360 since at least if it dies, Microsoft will replace it for free rather than charge half the machine's value.

Are you fucking kidding me?

sloppyjoe_gamer said:

I've done it successfully, including transferring my Dragon Age save, which is copy-protected. Here's a link explaining the data transfer process that I posted at the bottom of the previous page:

http://www.us.playstation.com/support/systemupdates/ps3/PS3_315_update.html

ChryZ said:
Damn, sadly I have to report: my PS3 60GB BC NA/US model died on me tonight. Disc still trapped in the drive, straight to blinking red light when switched on :(

This scares the hell out of me, i have a launch 60 gig would it be worth trading it into gamestop before it dies and just get a slim or hold onto the hope that it won't die?

noah111

Still Alive
MCX said:
:lol :lol You realize 90% of the people in here with YLOD have had a PS3 for years now? Not to mention that most of them have the oldest models which used bigger chipsets etc..

Even the fat PS3's don't die out as much, slims are safe for the most part.

Replicant

MCX said:

Troll account?

Emonk

Banned
For all you folks with games stuck in the drive, it's a straightforward process to get to the drive itself and use the manual eject to get a game out. I found a used copy of Ico from a video store, and it had a small circular sticker around the hole. I removed the sticker but it still had a few traces of transparent adhesive on the disc. After playing I tried to eject it but it was stuck, so I found an online guide and took apart the system. I got the disc out and cleaned up the small amount of adhesive still there and put everything back together.

This was eight months ago and everything works fine. My PS3 is a launch model so the warranty is long since expired, so I wouldn't recommend a DIY fix unless you're in the same position.

Sentry said:
:lol :lol You realize 90% of the people in here with YLOD have had a PS3 for years now? Not to mention that most of them have the oldest models which used bigger chipsets etc..

Even the fat PS3's don't die out as much, slims are safe for the most part.

Everything is safe... for the most part. My slim broke on me after 4 months. Who knows what problems wait for me later on, after all the RROD and the YLOD didn't show their heads until later in the console's life.

Sentry said:
Answered a few times on this page.. short answer is no.

Thanks. DIdnt read because I was scrambling to figure out a fix. I got my disc out, but my old ps3 didnt survive. I dont care about the saves that much, I just started Heavy Rain so I think ill survive.

Dibbz

Damn my PS3 60GB PAL just died on me whilst playing MAG tonight. This is my second but it was a replacement for my UK launch 60GB. Will ring Sony tomorrow and see what they say. Hopefully they can sort it out without any extra costs but we'll see.

So close to Heavy Rain's launch and the Killzone 2 double xp weekend :(

Kolgar

mikeybwright said:
This scares the hell out of me, i have a launch 60 gig would it be worth trading it into gamestop before it dies and just get a slim or hold onto the hope that it won't die?

At this point, I would say yes. I had a 60-gig launch model bought in Feb. 2007 and when the slims came out, I jumped on a Dell deal to buy one for $270.

At the time, I suffered from buyer's remorse, thinking it was a needless indulgence and a pain in my butt as I now needed to sell the 60-gig (at that point, I owned three PS3s, including an 80-gig for the bedroom).

But I wound up selling the 60-gig for $300, which more than paid for the slim, and now, months later, having watched the scary shit that's happening in this thread, I can say that I am totally, totally glad I made the choice I did.

Those 60s are faulty. If you can move it out for a decent price and nab yourself a slim, I think you'll find the peace of mind to be utterly worthwhile.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
MCX said:

:lol

My 60gb PS3 died a while back when it got struck by lightning through the Wifi, which took out quite a few other things.

Anyway I had done some cleaning and other work on my PS3, so it didn't have the void warranty. I sent it in anyway. I got my PS3 replacement back the other day. I am not gonna say this 60gb is new, but this is the newest 60gb I have seen since launch day.

A glimmer of hope for anybody out there thinking about sending theirs' in for repair without a void warranty sticker. It works sometimes.

noah111

Still Alive
Just a last update, I finally have a slim after all my trouble with the fat PS3. Miss it a bit but i'm so lucky that I got the slim. No stores within 15 miles of me had any PS3's in stock, so I went to craigslist and to my surprise there was one posting about a brand new slim (unopened) for a flat $300. Best part; it's a 5 minute drive from my house.

Gotta say, the thing is really a beauty, the dark texture with the subtle reflective black plastic along with the embedded PS3 logo and backlit buttons... it grew on me. Loving it so far. I swapped the 120 for my 320GB right away, loaded FW 3.15 on a USB, stuck it in and that was it. It's super quiet, though it does get a bit hot imo, nothing too bad though..

For anyone looking for a new PS3, always check craigslist. You never know, someone just might have a new one for a good price. (I saved the $25/8% tax! :lol)

Foil

Has anyone been able to get their 60GB fixed for free while out of warranty? With the rate that they've been dying Sony should damn well be fixing these for free or atleast at a much lower cost. The repair fee here in Canada is far too close to the price of a new console.

Dibbz said:
Damn my PS3 60GB PAL just died on me whilst playing MAG tonight. This is my second but it was a replacement for my UK launch 60GB. Will ring Sony tomorrow and see what they say. Hopefully they can sort it out without any extra costs but we'll see.

So close to Heavy Rain's launch and the Killzone 2 double xp weekend :(

Sorry to hear that, my 60GB just died as well. So damn close to Bad Company 2.

Cruzader

Banned
Guys, my PS3 is out of warranty so now I want to open it to clean it.(front grill) If I do that and remove that sticker blocking the rubber thing(holds the screw for the faceplate), if it craps on me in the future, could I still send it for Sony to repair while knowing I have to pay??? Hope that makes sense:D

EcroFeG

dont you have a vacuum cleaner? sucks all the dust off my ps3 from time to time.

if its out of warranty time anyway I wouldnt care about sticker seals of any sort... besides, looking at this thread most people had to pay anyway to get a refurbished console.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
I had some success with the hairdryer solution and managed to remove my SFIV disc from the PS3. Unfortunately it died again whilst trying to backup my saves, but I saw it as a result. I decided to quit while I was ahead and just sell it on ebay before I added to the damage. Hopefully someone out there will have more time and experience on their hands to repair it.

Anyway, I bought a new PS3 Slim in the end. When the lady at HMV offered me a 3 year extended warranty on it for £25, I didn't hesitate in my decision. As mentioned, the Slim looks elegant in an entirely different way to the Classic versions, and I'm at least pleased it'll be more forgiving on my electricity bill.

YLOD PS3's seem to be going for £100-140 on ebay, so there's clearly a market for people looking to repair and sell these machines on for profit. This means I'll be earning around the same amount Sony would've charged me for the repair!

cjdunn

Well, that's that. I was in the middle of downloading "The Secret Armory of General Knoxx," watched a video and then blam. Red flashing light. Tried a few different hard drives I had around. No luck.

Borderlands is still in the drive. :(

This was a refurb replacement 60GB after my original 60GB was succumbing to the GTA4 freezing issue.

(Asking myself mostly): So do I get it repaired or sell it on ebay and bump the price up a bit for Borderlands?

Fake edit: Holy shit, they weren't kidding about limited availability of the Slims!

Jaroof

Well, my PS3 just died :(
Was watching Zack & Miri Make a Porno for the first time..
and suddenly my PS3 just turns off... YLOD :(

Going through my options.. I've read through some of the thread, and most would recommend to buy a new Slim, right?
Well, I really want to keep the Backwards Compatibility..
So if I pay $150, they send me a refurb model back?
Has anyone actually done this, and if so, were there any problems with the PS3 you received?

Edit: Never mind, just read the previous post.. urrghh I don't know what to do! :(

noah111

Still Alive
Really take a step back and evaluate how important backwards compatibility is to you from a practical standpoint. How often do you play PS2 games, really? If a lot, just get a cheap PS2.

As for your broken system, you can get it repaired for cheap on cragislist, if you need to do a backup/take out a disc etc. Maybe even sell it while it's working as well (just let people know).

Jaroof

Sentry said:
Really take a step back and evaluate how important backwards compatibility is to you from a practical standpoint. How often do you play PS2 games, really? If a lot, just get a cheap PS2.

As for your broken system, you can get it repaired for cheap on cragislist, if you need to do a backup/take out a disc etc. Maybe even sell it while it's working as well (just let people know).

I used the hairdryer fix.. It's now working, but I have no idea how long it's going to last. I backed it up and deactivated it, and am planning on selling it somewhere.
Guess I'm gonna go with buying a slim after all.. Goodbye backwards compatibility :(
Oh well...

cjdunn

I pussed out and ordered a coffin ($149 + $29 tax). I want my Borderlands disc dammit.

Interestingly, through their online service request page, Sony is offering a trade-in for a refurb 120GB Slim for $119 (before taxes).

Top Bottom