• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's convince Nintendo to go region-free!

Cookie18

Signed it, doubt anything will come of it but one can hope.

What happens with my NNID (uk) that I created on my Wii U (now sold) when I get my US 3DS next week? Do I have to create a completely new one and abandon my UK one?

Region locking just got even worse on the 3DS. I now have to choose if I want my 3DS permanently tied to an Australian account for the eShop (where games are sometimes cheaper, and allows me to use local Nintendo eShop cards) or a UK account (gives me access to the vast amount of eShop games that don't get released in Australia, but restricts me to paying by credit card only and I'm at the mercy of the ever-changing exchange rate).

Or just continue to not bother with making a NNID account, but that means I apparently now won't be allowed to download demos or free software. Sucks.

What happens with my NNID (uk) that I created on my Wii U (now sold) when I get my US 3DS next week? Do I have to create a completely new one and abandon my UK one?

Yep.

sakipon

nintendo doesnt listen to anyone which is sad :(

theyll always sing there own tune

What about the 60 Hz games in Europe? We got those. What about Earthbound? I think we got that aswell.

It's unfortunate they are keeping their systems region locked, but it's not like they'd always do the opposite of what audiences request.

L~A

Yeah, I would hope that the RF4 cancellation would give this a boost. I hate region lock so damn much.

A boost? What this needs is a rebirth, it's been dead for a while now. Only thing we ever got of it is some lame PR answer from a customer support rep, if I remember correctly.

Zhao_Yun

Unfortunately I doubt that RF4 has enough impact to boost this again. Unless a really big title gets cancelled for Europe most people probably won't care. :(

I actually thought that region locking would just phase itself out naturally as all the markets grew to the point that international launches would become a thing. Boy was I wrong. I certainly want to do my part. It is a long shot, but most things worth trying are.

ozfunghi

Well, if there was ever a time to rub Nintendo's nose in it, it would be now. Not listening to western gamers/markets enough you say? Bad hardware sales you say?

Riki

Well, if there was ever a time to rub Nintendo's nose in it, it would be now. Not listening to western gamers/markets enough you say? Bad hardware sales you say?

I don't think Nintendo making their systems region free would do anything meaningful for sales.

Jomjom

Banned
I don't think Nintendo making their systems region free would do anything meaningful for sales.

It probably wouldn't on any significant scale, but why not do anything you can to get any bit of goodwill possible, especially when Nintendo is in the position it is in? Removing region locking IS literally flipping a switch.

Biker19

Banned
Seriously. Both of their consoles & handhelds needs to be region free...along with more games.

When exactly has Sony listened and responded to the community? The no DRM thing is a big maybe and they were probably already planning it before hand.

Oh, here we go with this...

Muku

I actually thought that region locking would just phase itself out naturally as all the markets grew to the point that international launches would become a thing. Boy was I wrong. I certainly want to do my part. It is a long shot, but most things worth trying are.

With Nintendo seems backwards. I mean, up until DSi, things were good in the hand held department. I'd so kill for region free to be killed. On the 3DS but Wii U too,

Indeed, let's pick this up again.

What are good Miiverse communities to post in?

I'd love to go another round of pictures and stuff on Miiverse. Someone pick a place.

Xater

I want to play SMTIV, MH4 and Power Pros but I can't because of region locking. I fucking hate it. Nintendo is the worst for locking especially a handheld down. What are they afraid of? That import will kill region specific sales? We already know that's not going to happen.

L Thammy

Indeed, let's pick this up again.

What are good Miiverse communities to post in?

I was thinking of this too. Our goal should be to inform people, so we'd want to talk about the region hack and 3DS being bricked by flash carts. We also shouldn't post any links that could be construed as promoting hacking or piracy.

I want to play SMTIV, MH4 and Power Pros but I can't because of region locking. I fucking hate it. Nintendo is the worst for locking especially a handheld down. What are they afraid of? That import will kill region specific sales? We already know that's not going to happen.

B-but cultural acceptance and legal restrictions and different age ratings. Please understand.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I was thinking of this too. Our goal should be to inform people, so we'd want to talk about the region hack and 3DS being bricked by flash carts. We also shouldn't post any links that could be construed as promoting hacking or piracy.

That seems like a very bad idea. Make your demand for a region-free device clear, talking about stuff like hacks just gets your posts deleted and isn't really helping your point either.

L Thammy

That seems like a very bad idea. Make your demand for a region-free device clear, talking about stuff like hacks just gets your posts deleted and isn't really helping your point either.

What I mean is stuff like "Hackers have removed region locking from the 3DS. Nintendo, please removing region locking officially to discourage hackers". Stuff like that
I don't mean "hey everybody unlock your 3DS all the cool kids are doing it".

Omikaru

What I mean is stuff like "Hackers have removed region locking from the 3DS. Nintendo, please removing region locking officially to discourage hackers". Stuff like that
I don't mean "hey everybody unlock your 3DS all the cool kids are doing it".

I imagine even raising awareness that a hack exists is enough to get your post censored.

When on Nintendo's channels you've just gotta abide by their rules, or your message will only reach the people who get to it before the moderator does.

Hasney

Well their policies have stopped me from buying any of games for their systems in the future until an official or unofficial method (on the latest current firmware in the case of the 3DS) to region free the consoles is made available. Deleted both consoles internet settings so it doesn't patch itself.

Going to have to hold strong once Bayonetta 2 comes out, but I'm done with Nintendo until I've finished both Rune Factory 4 and SMT IV.

gngf123

Ok, so where's my Shin Megami Tensei 4? Yup, I went there.

Honestly. As much as I want it, SMT4 probably wouldn't be big enough either. A combination of both might be enough to at least put the thing on the map though.

Instead of just targeting Miiverse, I think people need to spread out the word to as wide an audience as possible. Uploaded Youtube videos, posts on Twitter about RF4, anything.

Also, since threads like the SMT4 Europe and the RF4 cancellation threads regularly get a good amount of readers, probably a good idea to namedrop in future threads like that. If possible, putting a mention of it in the OP.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I thought it was relevant to bump this given NoA's lovely response to Kotaku about why the n3DS isn't coming out in North America;

Nintendo of America said:
Different territories make their own business decisions regarding individual products and timing. We think New Nintendo 3DS XL makes the most sense for our market. Nintendo makes different systems at different price points for a whole range of consumers, and New Nintendo 3DS XL simply expands those choices even further.

So by restricting our choices, they're expanding them! It's time to tell them to fuck off with region-locking their systems. In 2015, this makes no sense at all. Specially for a goddamn handheld console.

Bazry

totally. not going to buy 2 wii u to play the japan only game.

Is the Gamepad region free? I'd love to buy just a Japanese console without the Gamepad if it was, which I doubt anyone sells anyway.

Obviously it would be much better if the thing wasn't region locked in the first place

I highly doubt, that there is going to be a chance with the current hardware gen (3DS/WiiU).

But, there might be a small chance that Nintendo takes notice and has an insight in their next hardware generation.

Top Bottom