• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Danganronpa V3 Spoiler Thread

PK Gaming

I didn't see anything about this meta stuff, anyone wanna explain it to me?

MAJOR spoilers, only click if you're ready

DRv3 takes place in a universe where DanganRonpa is a reality show. Spanning across 53 seasons, the "students" are merely contestants who signed up on the show. Kaede in particular's interview video she used has her talking about how she would be "good at DanganRonpa" because she doesn't trust anyone. Shit just goes completely off the rails by the end too. Character motivations, talents and backstories are completely fabricated.

The whole thing is just this brutal takedown of how people get pleasure from seeing a bunch of teens kill each other / get murdered in brutal ways. You sick fucks!

Puruzi

Banned

DRv3 takes place in a universe where DanganRonpa is a reality show. Spanning across 53 seasons, the "students" are merely contestants who signed up on the show. Kaede in particular's interview video she used has her talking about how she would be "good at DanganRonpa" because she doesn't trust anyone. Shit just goes completely off the rails by the end too.

The whole thing is just this brutal takedown of how people get pleasure from seeing a bunch of teens kill each other / get murdered in brutal ways. You sick fucks!
Holy shit that's awesome.

Do the characters still actually die or is it just part of the show and nobody actually dies?

h0tp0ck3t

That is fucking incredible

also quoting myself

The cast of V3 can die a thousand deaths for all I care if what I read ends up being true

Possible Backstory Spoilers?
The game takes place in an alternate reality/timeline where Mondo Chihiro and MOTHER FUCKING CHIAKI survive their respective killing games

BEST GIRL CHIAKI LIVES?

h0tp0ck3t

That is a partial lie. Danganronpa is a reality tv show series in this universe. DRV3....is the 53rd Danganronpa game held so far.

V3. V 3. 5 3. 53.

776.gif

PK Gaming

I'm still bummed about Kaede but man... I'm absolutely convinced that Kodaka is a master class VN writer. Like damn, mad respect to him. All of that obnoxious recycling of tropes was intentional. This game is 100% antithetical to DR3 and amazing for it.

V3 obliterates ZTD and AA6 tbh. DanganRonpa is hands down the best of the 3 big VN series.

Also, this game actually baits you late in Chapter 5 into thinking that it's actually a sequel to DR3. You see the rebuilt HPA, you see Headmaster Naegi, you see Junko and you see FF men in black taking on Monokuma helmet wearing despair members. Then they drop the ball on you in Chapter 6 that DR is all just a tv show the masses eat up.

PK Gaming

Saihara being the protagonist makes perfect sense now. Here's there to
To lull you into thinking Kaede was similar to Sayaka, Chiaki, etc.
To lull you into thinking Shuichi was just like Makoto and Hajime.
To lull you into thinking this was a typical DR game (along with all of the other stuff like the double murders)
Kodaka pulled the ultimate con, and I didn't give him any faith. I'm repenting.

I'M A CHANGED MAN.

Wait so DRV3 is actually
MGS2
????

RQcDudt.png

h0tp0ck3t

So then I gotta ask
are the Ultimate talents just handed out randomly or is there any rhyme or reason to it. IE Kaede likes the piano, Chiaki likes videogames etc

Trigger

I'm confused. Did DR1 and DR2 not happen in the universe? I saw some spoilers saying that it's completely fiction, but then the survivors are different?

PK Gaming

Even when you're following spoilers, DRv3 is a fucking ride. Based Kodaka.

I'm confused. Did DR1 and DR2 not happen in the universe? I saw some spoilers saying that it's completely fiction, but then the survivors are different?

DR1 and DR2 were seasons 1 and 2 of the DanganRonpa reality show, in the DRv3 universe.

So then I gotta ask
are the Ultimate talents just handed out randomly or is there any rhyme or reason to it. IE Kaede likes the piano, Chiaki likes videogames etc

I think they're random, yeah.

h0tp0ck3t

Even when you're following spoilers, DRv3 is a fucking ride. Based Kodaka.

DR1 and DR2 were seasons 1 and 2 of the DanganRonpa reality show, in the DRv3 universe.

Junko don't give a shit about hope and despair. just wants to get paid
lmao

Trigger

Ahhhhhhhhh, that would explain
why the characters would even be in the killing games in the first place. I'm just a part of the problem because I would totally buy a game based on those seasons of the killing game.

AniHawk

DRv3 takes place in a universe where DanganRonpa is a reality show. Spanning across 53 seasons, the "students" are merely contestants who signed up on the show. Kaede in particular's interview video she used has her talking about how she would be "good at DanganRonpa" because she doesn't trust anyone. Shit just goes completely off the rails by the end too. Character motivations, talents and backstories are completely fabricated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FKwnKMZEVM#t=17s

caliph95

Not sure how i feel about that twist until i played the game whenever it gets released this feels like it would be better played than explained.

Bowlie

Banned
I'm not sure that intentionally trivializing the killing game and having similar plot pieces to previous games make all that good.

It all depends on the execution; it could be really brilliant, or just a way out of doing things differently.

I also think that calling Kodaka a "master class VN writer" after, at the very least, DR3 and UDG is *nuts* (though DR1 and DR2 don't have amazing writing either).

One way or the other, I'm more excited to play this game than after DR3.

PK Gaming

It's not like he was heavily involved in DR3 (shrug)

And yeah UDG was a bit of a dud, but 1 was good and 2 was downright phenomenal. Hands down one of the best "sequels" ever.

Zolo

Personally, I dislike the concept of discrediting someone's talent just because they may have some screwups on their overall portfolio, but generally has a good track record.

Bowlie

Banned
I didn't discredit his talent by saying he's a bad writer or something, I said that he is nowhere near a "masterclass" VN writer when, in my opinion, none of the DR games have writing of that level. And that's not why I like them for!

I play them for the music, the style, and the case solving, that are always great.

PK Gaming

Well I did say VN writer. It's not like the bar is particularly high to begin with. But yes, I find the writing in DR to be better than most mainstream VNs.

Bowlie

Banned
^

Sorry, edited above.

My point was to say that I'm cautiously excited about this game given the previous ones, but I also don't want to keep talking about them since this thread is not for that.

---

Do these things showing up mean that streamers have finished the game already?

UberTag

One of the more fascinating angles to how this played out for me - as a reality TV enthusiast - are the parallels one can draw from what went on in DRV3 (where people are wholesale transformed into a character archetype to serve a production end) versus what we see in reality shows like Survivor (where larger than life personalities are cultivated into a specific edit to "tell a story" - even if it betrays who they are, what their personalities are actually like and what moves they made when playing the game).

I've always railed against production tampering (one reason I'm grateful for live feeds in a show like Big Brother where I can assess gameplay free from production interference in what is an otherwise unwatchable show) but something like V3 shows that an evolution of that could be much worse. And yet the angle Kodaka explored here opens up a fascinating possibility of what happens when a manufactured personality gains self-awareness of their true self that's been rewritten and what they're able to take away from both to move forward. It's like everyone here went through an Izuru-type reconditioning... all for the sake of a game show.

Of course, it's even more twisted in terms of how this twist is rolled out in that the manufactured personality you adopt is the direct opposite of your real one. That's damned insidious.

It IS a shame that the earlier optimism that the Chapter 1 bait and switch was necessary for a character redemption arc for Kaede as part of some carefully orchestrated master plan to trap the mastermind. Sadly that was not to be.

Sciel

It would be insane if these logos were actually the real ones for future games.

One of the more fascinating angles to how this played out for me - as a reality TV enthusiast - are the parallels one can draw from what went on in DRV3 (where people are wholesale transformed into a character archetype to serve a production end) versus what we see in reality shows like Survivor (where larger than life personalities are cultivated into a specific edit to "tell a story" - even if it betrays who they are, what their personalities are actually like and what moves they made when playing the game).

I've always railed against production tampering (one reason I'm grateful for live feeds in a show like Big Brother where I can assess gameplay free from production interference in what is an otherwise unwatchable show) but something like V3 shows that an evolution of that could be much worse. And yet the angle Kodaka explored here opens up a fascinating possibility of what happens when a manufactured personality gains self-awareness of their true self that's been rewritten and what they're able to take away from both to move forward. It's like everyone here went through an Izuru-type reconditioning... all for the sake of a game show.

Of course, it's even more twisted in terms of how this twist is rolled out in that the manufactured personality you adopt is the direct opposite of your real one. That's damned insidious.

It IS a shame that the earlier optimism that the Chapter 1 bait and switch was necessary for a character redemption arc for Kaede as part of some carefully orchestrated master plan to trap the mastermind. Sadly that was not to be.
It makes it all the more saddening that she basically dies for no reason other than just for Kodaka to do a protagonist bait-and -switch. This makes the complaints that the series is just typecasting the main character role to a low-ish esteem male character all the more valid.

Weiss

Banned
So if the previous spoilers are fake, what are Kaede's actual motives for murder? Do you actually play the whole first chapter trying to get away with murder?

UberTag

So if the previous spoilers are fake, what are Kaede's actual motives for murder? Do you actually play the whole first chapter trying to get away with murder?
She has no motive for murder. She was set up as a sacrificial lamb for Amami's murder by Korekiyo Shinguji.
Chapter 1's case DOES get revisited at the end of the game. It just doesn't result in Amami being alive or Kaede orchestrating some big trap.

The CGs that were datamined did account for the "fiction" that was created about how the ending would play out but that's about it.

UberTag

I read there's a lot of backlash to the ending actually.
My expectation is that we'll be a lot more receptive to the ending here than other segments of the Danganronpa community. Whether people were upset at having their invented spoilers dashed, at the whole meta-commentary on the Danganronpa fanbase, not being able to fully grasp the concept of this being an alternate universe like Digimon Tamers (everything that took place prior is as valid as it always was), feeling like they only got to know some fabricated lie about these characters because they were completely different before being given manufactured personalities for the V3 killing game, that Kaede was ultimately a throwaway scapegoat that had been put up on a pedestal and they felt betrayed by that or some combination of the above... it's hard to say which variable has provoked the most outrage. By and large, I think most of the criticism is being directed at the game not satisfying some rooted misconceptions of what DRV3 should be versus it failing in its execution.

Frankly, I think how the ending was executed was brilliant. Although it's going to delay the localization process by quite a bit just for all of those VA callbacks to Feep and everyone else. Offers up some amazing social commentary on both the nature of fandom, reality television and the overall merits of truth vs. fiction. It's going to prod a lot of discussion afterwards and that's exactly what the best media does.

I wouldn't call Kodaka a "master class VN writer" either but I will say that I think he is very aware of his limitations and went in a direction that plays to his strengths.

So Kodaka on Twitter has suggested replaying the prologue after the game to catch something interesting.

https://twitter.com/kazkodaka/status/821150880397262848

Most people think he's talking about the CG showing Kaede's kidnapping which contradicts with the mastermind's claims that the were willing participants. Shuichi mentions his disbelief that people would willingly put themselves through the killing game in the epilogue and the prologue might have confirmed that.

UberTag

So Kodaka on Twitter has suggested replaying the prologue after the game to catch something interesting.

https://twitter.com/kazkodaka/status/821150880397262848

Most people think he's talking about the CG showing Kaede's kidnapping which contradicts with the mastermind's claims that the were willing participants. Shuichi mentions his disbelief that people would willingly put themselves through the killing game in the epilogue and the prologue might have confirmed that.
Because no CGs were leaked until people got the game everyone missed this big thing that happens right at the beginning:

http://imgur.com/7bEe9F2
Seems like a perfectly willing participant to me.
3AQmK.gif

Of course, this raises the question...
why go through the effort to brainwash the players TWICE? Kidnap them, brainwash them, program them to be avid Danganronpa fans that volunteer for a killing game for a variety of reasons, brainwash them again, retrofit them with talent archetypes and personalities that apparently go a full 180 of how they naturally behave (or, at least, opposite of how their first brainwashed persona touted), set out to have them kill one another only to pull the veil off from Brainwashing #2, confront them with their fabricated Brainwashing #1 purported reality and point out "ha ha, you really volunteered for this and here's proof, how do you like them apples?"

Seems like a perfectly willing participant to me.
3AQmK.gif

Of course, this raises the question...
why go through the effort to brainwash the players TWICE? Kidnap them, brainwash them, program them to be avid Danganronpa fans that volunteer for a killing game for a variety of reasons, brainwash them again, retrofit them with talent archetypes and personalities that apparently go a full 180 of how they naturally behave (or, at least, opposite of how their first brainwashed persona touted), set out to have them kill one another only to pull the veil off from Brainwashing #2, confront them with their fabricated Brainwashing #1 purported reality and point out "ha ha, you really volunteered for this and here's proof, how do you like them apples?"

Are the audition tapes the only evidence they were willing? I don't know if Saihara had a memory of signing up for the program or not. If they are then I'm leaning towards the idea that the audition tapes are just somehow faked or edited. Even if the tapes are real and the participants were indeed willing, then there still has to be an extra brainwashing since the kids at the very beginning had no idea about the killing game or Danganronpa. And if they're unwilling and the tapes are real then, like you said, things get ridiculous. If the tapes are fake then there just needs to be one brainwashing--the one that turned them into their V3 characters.

Edit:
Now I feel kinda silly.
I forgot what our mastermind can do. She can imitate anyone perfectly down to their voices, including even males. She could have just filmed the tapes herself.

Edit 2: Since we're talking about it, here's a translated version of that first half of the prologue: http://newdanganronpav3.hacked.jp/tagged/shsl-update/chrono

Notice how everyone pretty much acts the same and Amami's awareness of the situation and call out of someone's "silly copycat routine".

UberTag

Edit:
Now I feel kinda silly.
I forgot what our mastermind can do. She can imitate anyone perfectly down to their voices, including even males. She could have just filmed the tapes herself.
Man, I feel silly for overlooking that obvious detail myself. Then again, we still have to question the rationale behind it.

Team Danganronpa runs the games.
Tsumugi Shirogane works for Team Danganronpa and masterminded this killing game.
Yet her actions to troll the remaining survivors into thinking they signed up willingly only sets them off against Team Danganronpa and gets her killed.
Was there a method to her madness?

Top Bottom