• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gundam Versus |OT| The World, Western release out now!

Evilkazzzz

Neo Member
I'm quite pleased with the roster here.

I've played Gundam vs next plus, the vanilla PS3 release of EXVS and EXVS Force on vita.
(I never bought EXVS full boost)

This one has my favorite roster so far, despite G, X and 00S2 missing. I just love all of the grunts and side MS they've added. I didn't expect Maries Pink UN mobile suit in this game, or the Hizack, Nemo, etc. I've always loved using grunt MS against larger more cost heavy MS. Makes you feel like the underdog every time.

I cant wait to try them all out in the horde mode thing and arcade.

Kalentan

Just went up against the FA Armor ZZ Gundam. What... what are you even supposed to do against it? It has an insane amount of health, does nearly 100 damage with their basic blaster and has a metric shit ton of abilites.

Just went up against the FA Armor ZZ Gundam. What... what are you even supposed to do against it? It has an insane amount of health, does nearly 100 damage with their basic blaster and has a metric shit ton of abilites.

Don't talk to FAZZ players, don't acknowledge FAZZ players, etc.

Kalentan

Don't talk to FAZZ players, don't acknowledge FAZZ players, etc.

lol

I guess that's something in the Gundam Versus community?

Also I've noticed at times I'll go in for a melee attack with my sword already out and it feels like some Gundam's will just always attack first. Like they go instantly from standing to mid way through their attack animation.

Like I get that I'm not a Pro or anything like that. I imagine with tutorials and such I'll get better but it's just not encouraging to see such balance troubles in the game right now. Makes me far less willing to get it if half the matches will
just end in frustration. :(

lol

I guess that's something in the Gundam Versus community?

Also I've noticed at times I'll go in for a melee attack with my sword already out and it feels like some Gundam's will just always attack first. Like they go instantly from standing to mid way through their attack animation.

Do you mean a dash in melee attack?

If you time it right, most neutral melees will be able to beat a dash-in attack.

FAZZ can be a pain in the ass. I usually stay far away from them until they over-extend with a big attack and then try to rush them from the side.

Kalentan

Do you mean a dash in melee attack?

If you time it right, most neutral melees will be able to beat a dash-in attack.

FAZZ can be a pain in the ass. I usually stay far away from them until they over-extend with a big attack and then try to rush them from the side.

I don't even know. The fact that this game doesn't have a beta is just so frustrating. I just had an Exia who basically kept me locked in an infinite back and forth attack and there is nothing I can do.

I really feels like they threw this Beta together at the last second cause it is just so bad for newcomers. It feels like it was made for people who played the Japanese version and want to try the English version.

I see huge potential but this Beta drew me in and now it's pushing away.

Apharmd

Kalentan what unit are you using? Melee units will generally have a higher priority. Try out a unit with better self defense as well. You may want to try X1 Crossbone. His side L1 is a fast whip that slaps away an area in front of you, you can use it to toss away any melee units that try to mess with you.

Shun

Dun.net just has shit internet, the JP copy has had pretty net code for like a majority of the western players that have it. When I'm playing in JP vs JP and JP vs overseas, I don't get many issues unless they're on wifi from across the building.

You out maneuver FAZZ and take advantage of its inability to approach very well at close range and abuse its low maneuverability.

FAZZ isn't really hard to beat, it is just getting caught off guard and being reckless with your boost and step cancels if you are regularly eating a gerobi

This game is more melee cancer than MBON so playing something like Banshee would match up pretty well. X1 does well, (Strike) Freedom can deal with FAZZ. It has flaws that you can blow right open since this game is so melee friendly.

Freedom is also the quintessential beginner's basics suit in the series. It's one of the easiest and best suits to use to learn how to maneuver, step cancel, and shoot. It's a linear suit, so you will have matchup issues, but Freedom isn't a slow unit at all. It's speed and tracking is pretty good, and the damage it does is above average. Your job isn't supposed to rush in and shoot every weapon available like in the anime. You're supposed to be a good support and use your good maneuverability to go flank your opponent and launch gerobis for damage.

The cons is just that it is a very linear and fundamentals heavy suit, so if you're very new you can be pretty predictable.

There is a channel to help beginners and newcomers learn how to play. There are a few people there willing to open 2v2 rooms to go coach how to boost and get into a team play mentality.

Kalentan

Kalentan what unit are you using? Melee units will generally have a higher priority. Try out a unit with better self defense as well. You may want to try X1 Crossbone. His side L1 is a fast whip that slaps away an area in front of you, you can use it to toss away any melee units that try to mess with you.

The Freedom. It's my favorite Gundam so I wish to use it.

Well technically Strike Freedom is my favorite but it's not in the game sadly.

patchday

Huh just had some great matches. Just making sure no one in the room has a bad connection. I prefer smaller rooms now (8 players max). Less chances of some scrub with bad internet ruining the fun

well that was a fun beta, wish it was longer >.<
Hi-nu Gundam was king for me, such an amazing kit. I feel like i am hitting everything as i try and keep max red target distance from both targets :D
OG Gundam was also very fun. I just love trying to get last kill with the charge up Javelin since its soo big.

Apharmd

The Freedom. It's my favorite Gundam so I wish to use it.

Well technically Strike Freedom is my favorite but it's not in the game sadly.

Freedom is a great unit to build up the basics but yeah, the self-defense can be a bit lacking compared to other units. It'll force you to learn the fundamentals and you'll be the FAR better player in the long run than someone starting off with Exia spam, but in the course of the closed beta yeah you may get wrecked a bit.

How do I know this?

Because I was a filthy Exia spammer and my friend who forced himself to learn Freedom fundamentals now regularly kicks my butt online.

:^)

jackal27

Banned
Really enjoyed the beta and did well in the matches I played (could play) However, I just cancelled my pre-order... the server issues were too much. I can't justify a full-price fighting game Super Smash Bros Brawl online levels of lag.

I guess I'll pick it up sometime down the line...

Liethe

Complete gundam vs newbie here. I was super excited to finally try these games with this beta but like many i am now pretty concerned for the netplay. As far as i can tell, the online vs IS the game. The co op stuff seems like a small diversion at best and if I have to deal with slideshow matches as often as in the beta I fear it's not worth it. :(

Aside from the lag I love how it plays. I played almost exclusively Tallgeese for nostalgia and boy did it deliver on that front. I want to be on board with the game damn it...

Also those who like to play singleplayer, what's in the beta is about everything that the full game offers. The only difference is the volume of the current modes, that you'll have to unlock ALL Strikers, some alternative pilots for some MS and a handful of navigators like Haro. The unlocking itself is very grindy, because not only do you have to earn enough GP, you also need to "level up" the Mobile Suits before they become available for GP purchase.
Also the Time/GP ratio for singleplayer is terrible. From what I recall playing online is pretty much the best way to earn GP.
Hmm, maybe I'll wait till this goes down in price then. No intention of playing online. Its cool to see and use all the MS though.

lol, I have to match up pictures. -_-

When reading about different units, sometimes I read about "Transform" and "Form Change" - what are those, and how do I do them?

Edit: Is everything not on this tier list total trash not worth picking at all?

The page just shows 400 cost units.
I think the majority of suits are on the tier list, but I'm not familiar enough to tell for sure. You can click on the tabs to show tiers of different cost units.

Transform and form change are for Mobile Suits with alt forms.
Off the top of my head, noticeable ones are:
Epyon and Wing Zero have their dragon/bird modes (Wing Zero can do it as a special move, but both of them can transform by holding boost, then dashing). There are other suits with this feature, or at least use that command to change forms, so the best thing to do is try it with everyone.
ZZ Full Armour Gundam can remove and reattach it's bulky armour, which gives it a different moveset.
Epyon can change into a mode where his beam saber grows in size and intensity, and he glows orange, which alters his moveset into one with more powerful blows.

There are also characters who have moves that change properties depending on when they're used. For example, Sazabi's BC (R2) shoots all his funnels out at once, and they circle your opponent, but if you press that button in the middle of his melee string, he does a 7 hit slash combo that carries the opponent across the screen. So that's another thing to look out for.

What is a good striker to go with Sandrock? I've been using Hyaku Shiki, because his hoverboard does a load of damage if you combo into it from Sandrock's 5BB-8B-A, but it's only practical for that situation. I was using Leo at first, for nostalgia reasons, and also because having an extra machine gun assist seems useful.

What is a good striker to go with Sandrock? I've been using Hyaku Shiki, because his hoverboard does a load of damage if you combo into it from Sandrock's 5BB-8B-A, but it's only practical for that situation. I was using Leo at first, for nostalgia reasons, and also because having an extra machine gun assist seems useful.

For a unit like Sandrock who already has good a somewhat decent balance between melee/range, I would recommend a Gerobi unit like Wing Gundam etc.
Especially since Sandrock leans a bit more towards melee in this game, so anything giving you more range is a good idea IMO.

Having a Gerobi can be a big part of the meta and I see a lot of people supplement suits that don't have one with a Striker one.

Personally, I like to stick with the Dreissen striker for most units.
I like the fact that it can stun and has 3 charges. It can be easy to dodge if the opponent knows how though.

For a unit like Sandrock who already has good a somewhat decent balance between melee/range, I would recommend a Gerobi unit like Wing Gundam etc.
Especially since Sandrock leans a bit more towards melee in this game, so anything giving you more range is a good idea IMO.

Having a Gerobi can be a big part of the meta and I see a lot of people supplement suits that don't have one with a Striker one.

Personally, I like to stick with the Dreissen striker for most units.
I like the fact that it can stun and has 3 charges. It can be easy to dodge if the opponent knows how though.

Right, thanks.
Gerobi is a massive beam, right? I remember Turn X having one for his assist when I tried him out.
Is there any difference between the Gerobi assists, or are they all fairly similar?

Also, Dreissen is the one with the 3 buzzsaw type projectiles, right?

The main things I'm struggling with are movement and landing shots with my beam machine gun. Like, I know I can land the 10 shots from the beam machine gun for the stun, then do the AB into AC and it's follow up melee combo, but landing those shots are hard. Am I better off just moving around waiting for them to do something with a long cooldown animation, as opposed to strafing and spraying at them?

I really enjoyed the beta/game overall. Stayed up until 4:30 just so i could try out all the suits, which is a good sign lol.

I had really connections in 1v1 overall, but 2v2 was an unplayable slideshow mess most of the time. Seems like if there's one bad apple everyone suffers... which is a pretty poor way of doing things on the netcode front. Hope they fix it. If not i'm not sure i want to get in day one (or at all), however much i like the game itself. =/

I really enjoyed the beta/game overall. Stayed up until 4:30 just so i could try out all the suits, which is a good sign lol.

I had really connections in 1v1 overall, but 2v2 was an unplayable slideshow mess most of the time. Seems like if there's one bad apple everyone suffers... which is a pretty poor way of doing things on the netcode front. Hope they fix it. If not i'm not sure i want to get in day one (or at all), however much i like the game itself. =/

That's kind of where I'm at with it.
I'm loving everything about the game itself, but the online mode and everything around that just doesn't work.

The fact that you can't hop into a party of up to 3 and just search for online matches is stupid, instead you have to go into a lobby and either find a busy one, or sit and wait for people to come into yours. Then you have the whole filters for online, like casual, experienced etc. which means absolutely nothing, and just splits the player base even further.

Then you have the fact that you can only play Ultimate Battle with 2 players, but then other players can join in after that, and the fact that you can't play online VS AI at all, so if anyone has an odd numbered group of people playing, so either 3 or 5 for example, you can't just have a bot fill in the last slot. I know bots aren't ideal, but I'd sooner play with one than do what was happening in the beta and refreshing the lobbies for half an hour.

DunpealD

Too bad you are stuck playing Dissidia.

Well what you gonna do? When the main product fails to deliver, one chooses the next best product. Even if it's not on par.

Dun.net just has shit internet, the JP copy has had pretty net code for like a majority of the western players that have it. When I'm playing in JP vs JP and JP vs overseas, I don't get many issues unless they're on wifi from across the building.

magzUCa.gif

The game itself shows full bars for my connection. I know fully well how good the netcode can be.
Also if the netcode is as good as you say, then the probability of meeting a slideshow should be rare rather than often. Even with wifi it should only be occasional.
In my experience with the predecessors netcode, it takes a lot to turn a match into a slideshow.

I tried joining a regional room with average connection of 4-5. Still turned into a 1 bar slideshow mess, even though a bit alleviated. Now others are mentioning a similar issues of 2v2 and 3v3 often not being smooth.
So I think it's reasonable to tell people to be cautious, before spending their hard earned cash. Especially when they already got to test the beta.

They should have dropped the stupid quick match thing since all the new people were picking that instead of player match. Only had a handful of laggy matches in lobbies since the hosts can just kick people with dollar store internet.

patchday

So myself and this either guy (player lobby) kept getting rematched against the host and this Deathreaper mech user. Felt like we lost at least 8-10 times in a row. Finally picked a Deathreaper mech myself and we won against that duo every time. That was pretty funny

Hmm, maybe I'll wait till this goes down in price then. No intention of playing online. Its cool to see and use all the MS though.

Gundam Breaker 3 might be more up your alley if you're not interested in competitive play. It got an English release in Asia, you can import or get it on the singapore PSN store (you'll need to buy SNG PSN store credit).

Well, lag issues aside, I had a fun time with this beta. Definitely still getting this day 1.

The problem will be tearing myself away from Destiny 2.

Pengu

Neo Member
I put a good chunk of time into the beta despite owning the jp version and had a blast. Just wish the strikers and dlc were handled better.

They should have dropped the stupid quick match thing since all the new people were picking that instead of player match. Only had a handful of laggy matches in lobbies since the hosts can just kick people with dollar store internet.

Yeah, Quick Match should have options to limit the range of players it draws from (but if it did that, you may as well cherry pick with Player Match).

Concerning points about connection quality, the connection readout bar has been pretty meaningless since they kept inflating the color value to what you really get since the original EXVS home release about 6-7 years ago. I only trust a match to be 5 bar teal if I KNOW that the other three people are literally within a 100 mile radius of me.

Miker

As a casual Gundam fan, I was excited for this, but the beta left a terrible impression. It's impenetrable without a tutorial, and the lag in 2v2 (which I understand to be the most popular mode?) has been awful. It went from buying in a sale to probably skipping altogether.

OVDRobo

I also had a pretty enjoyable time with the beta.

I imported Extreme vs. FB a while back but never played online or really got any experience beyond learning the movesets of my favourite Gundams and doing the single player stuff.

Initially entering even casual matches was intimidating because I didn't know what to expect but there were definitely quite a few casual newbies who either tried it because they're fans or because it was free so I got some good matches in. My movement and mechanical understanding usually put me at the top of any matches where there wasn't a clearly experienced player whose boost and movement usage outdid my own.

Lag was definitely a problem. Several matches outright dropped and others were borderline unplayable but the good matches were really good. The beta really could've used a tutorial, though. I can't imagine being convinced to buy this if I had no prior experience with the games.

Usage times in the beta probably went:
Strike > Exia > Tallgeese > Barbatos > Banshee
I tried quite a variety of Gundams out but most of my favourites from EXVSFB held fast. Tallgeese shot up in my own rankings quite a bit in this game and I'm more interested in Barbatos Lupus than the first form.

I'm really missing the 00 Raiser and God Gundam but it's probably a good thing that I kept my hands mainly on 300-400 cost units given my experience level. Even Exia and Barbatos felt like a gamble due to being fighting types.

Shouta

The netcode is mostly good but it can be a little inconsistent even at high or full bar.

If they just added an option to end a match quickly in the case of slideshow games, that'd be pretty helpful.

The netcode has been perfectly fine for me.
However, I am playing in JP and mainly with users in the same region. The real test will happen when it releases for everyone else and I get some matches in with my brother in the US and such.

Shun

The netcode has been perfectly fine for me.
However, I am playing in JP and mainly with users in the same region. The real test will happen when it releases for everyone else and I get some matches in with my brother in the US and such.

Same, JP vs JP has worked great for me.

JP vs overseas was pretty good for the most part too for those with the Premium G/Standard copy. Free/Shuffle/Ranked modes are fine, Casual mode is really the only one that sucks from time to time.

Bebpo

Banned
Is the beta not region free with the Japan full game servers? Was hoping to have some easier opponents in the JP version but everyone still is way too good when I tried it just now.

Fwiw, I get 80% perfectly smooth matches against JP players from California.

MechaX

Alright, I think I have mustered up the courage to go on Discord. Could anyone/Donkey resend an invite?

Also, this was discussed earlier in the topic, but while I think some of these DLC choices are pretty interesting (I am for Phantom Gundam and Nightingale), my main concern is whether this shit transfers over to the NA release (which I'm betting it doesn't for obvious reasons). I really wish they had that GP system from Full Boost where you could at least try out some DLC suits.

Alright, I think I have mustered up the courage to go on Discord. Could anyone/Donkey resend an invite?

Also, this was discussed earlier in the topic, but while I think some of these DLC choices are pretty interesting (I am for Phantom Gundam and Nightingale), my main concern is whether this shit transfers over to the NA release (which I'm betting it doesn't for obvious reasons). I really wish they had that GP system from Full Boost where you could at least try out some DLC suits.

Sent! Lemme know if anyone else wants in as well.

Pengu

Neo Member
They still haven't said anything about dlc for the western version? I want nightingale but im buying the us version of the game too.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
They still haven't said anything about dlc for the western version? I want nightingale but im buying the us version of the game too.
Probably coming, as the preorder comes with 3 units (Barbatos Lupus, Virtue and Hot Scramble).

Which reminds me I have to preorder this shit.

Bebpo

Banned
Don't have the details, but Gundam AGE is coming as DLC to Gundam Versus. First new entry series added as DLC, so maybe there won't be a Versus 2 and we'll just get $600 of DLC as the other series are all added at $6 a unit.

I made the mistake of buying Gundam Breaker 3 Break Edition after playing the beta of this.
Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the beta, and I'm loving GB3, but the controls are so different, so any sort of progress I made in learning how to play Versus has now gone out of the window lol.

Top Bottom