• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 Design and Tech video on Bullet Time - OUT NAO

Finally got around to reading The Verge preview and rundown on Max. Great reads!

You know if the GTTV footage is the nightclub then I wouldn't mind that one bit.

Just reposting this for good measure. I guess the GAF Crew name is NoirGAF until others vote another name? Is anybody picking this up at midnight too? Rockstar is going to be online to play some multiplayer at night so I'll be on for sure.

Sadly, I am going to pick it up on Wed. and planning on playing it later in the evening (college classes). I thought Rockstar was going to play on the 19th?

Fjordson

Like I said earlier, I'm seriously considering picking this up at GameStop instead of Amazon for the midnight release. I won't get my Amazon shipment until like 5 PM on Tuesday =[

Someone I know who works at a GameStop close to me says they've gotten a lot of pre-orders over the last couple weeks and so all the ones around here are doing a midnight release. Though I'm never a huge fan of shopping there.

Does Best Buy ever do midnight releases? I know they sell PC games, I wonder if they'd do one for Diablo III + Max Payne 3.

Fjordson

Yeah, what am I thinking. Diablo III will be more than enough to pass the time until MP 3 arrives.

So much gaming goodness on May 15th. I need to try and finish up Witcher 2 before then.

dreamfall

Yeah, what am I thinking. Diablo III will be more than enough to pass the time until MP 3 arrives.

So much gaming goodness on May 15th. I need to try and finish up Witcher 2 before then.

Ah! I just finished it, hoping it would carry me further to ease the pain of waiting for Max. But it was so enthralling, I couldn't pace it well enough. So fantastic- Geralt is so rad!

zkylon

zkylewd
Just found out MP3 is released on PC on June 1st. Damn it, I was counting on playing it in two weeks...

This is disappointing...

It's not floaty, just delayed on their console setup there. The 360 pad on PC was 100% perfect.

There's a very large delay if you flick the movement stick or analog for aiming imo. Probably will not be an issue if you don't go for headshots and use bullet time constantly to refine your aim, but I didn't like it and it was very noticeable for me. Hopefully they've reduced it.

See my earlier post:
____

__

Agreed. It's not a cover shooter and it doesn't like letting you play it like one.

It is quite good on PC.

This is my biggest concern. Having non responsive controls is a real deal-breaker for me.
This is why i need a demo, R*. Guess i'll have to rely on reviews..

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Im wondering if R* took any part of LA Noire's facial tech and put it in MP3. The facial expressions are quite impressive.

I seriously doubt it. While impressive, LA Noire's tech had some serious shortcomings in certain areas and I think Rockstar said as much.

Angry Fork

I'm surprised people remain so hyped for a spin-off. Everything does definitely look good except the setting obviously, I've mentioned it many times before. I wish I could understand everyone else's mindset and how they're hyped for a MP game that takes place on sunny beaches and isn't written by Sam Lake.

I'm surprised people remain so hyped for a spin-off. Everything does definitely look good except the setting obviously, I've mentioned it many times before. I wish I could understand everyone else's mindset and how they're hyped for a MP game that takes place on sunny beaches and isn't written by Sam Lake.

1) It's not a spin off. A spin off would be a game where you're playing as Gognitti or Lupino, or Mona etc

2) The entirety of the game doesn't take place in Sao Paulo. The environments will be varied, ranging from seedy nightclubs, to ratty apartments, to the NYC rooftops, to the Jersey suburbs and more. The game itself is divided up into three acts and I'm going to wager that the Brazillian setting with bald Max will be towards the end if not the very end.

3) It's fucking Rockstar man. If you've read the interviews with Houser, he seems to have a better grasp on Max's persona and the world he lives in than Lake ever spoke about in any sort of interview.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
It's fucking Rockstar man. If you've read the interviews with Houser, he seems to have a better grasp on Max's persona and the world he lives in than Lake ever spoke about in any sort of interview.

People love Sam Lake for his writing in the games, not how he grasped Max's persona. It's the same kind of writing that drove Alan Wake.

People love Sam Lake for his writing in the games, not how he grasped Max's persona. It's the same kind of writing that drove Alan Wake.

Yeah I know, and I'm a big fan of his metaphorical and detailed writing as well but the doubters really need to chill and either read the interviews that NotTheGuy posted yesterday or think back to every other Rockstar game that released when there were a crapton of doubt clouds and remember what the results were in terms of fan feedback and reaction. The Red Dead license never orignally belonged to them and look what happened, and RDR was officially their last developed game. I have no worries.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
So what does the $30 R* pass provide? Is that just to simply play multiplayer?
No, it's a pass for all of the DLC. It's evidently a 35% discount to buying it all seperately. It seems like there's a new pack every week or two starting in June. It bugs me since it's so soon. Announcing over $40 worth of DLC pre-release always pisses me off.

kaskade

Yea thats gay. I just pre-ordered my copy from steam. :((((
That's ban material. I'd watch it.

So I guess there's not going to be any single player dlc. I'll have to see how invested I get in the multiplayer before I put down money on the season pass.

Gaogaogao

So what does the $30 R* pass provide? Is that just to simply play multiplayer?

June 2012

Local Justice Map Pack

Summer 2012

Disorganized Crime Map Pack
Deathmatch Made In Heaven Mode Pack
Hostage Negotiation Map Pack
New York Minute Co-Op Pack

Fall 2012

Painful Memories Map Pack
Trickle Down Economics Map Pack

596680-gif_bane_1_and_here_we_go.gif

See, I posted this before, then I had to leave, but now I'm back to finish my thought.

At this point, I put no stock in your opinion since you literally do not seem to understand what the term 'spin-off' even means. If Remedy is okay with it, if Sam Lake is okay with it, if McCaffrey is okay with it, if nearly every other fan is excited for it, but you, and if there is not a single beach in the game, what exactly is your fucking problem?

Stat!

I think I'm going to pass on the DLC Pass even though I think R* has done DLC better than anyone this gen. How many maps are there for MP anyway?

pakkit

Banned
Gay is not a synonym for shitty.

I just gayed my pants watching the promo material for Max Payne 3.

Regarding the R* Pass, I think the vitriol stems from the amount the pass actually costs. People don't want to put another 30 out immediately after buying a game. That said, the long-term multiplayer support makes me glad. All Rockstar is really doing is being more upfront with their planned DLC at around release time. I'm not too interested in MP, so I'll likely pass.

Fjordson

That season pass is multiplayer only, so meh. As long as they don't start cutting up the game like a Mass Effect squadmate or something then it makes no difference to me.

Sort of wish they had waited to announce it, though. Even though 99 percent of games out there with DLC have it planned ahead of time, it just gets people into a rage when you tell them about it before release.

Guri

Also, São Paulo doesn't have beaches!

That season pass is multiplayer only, so meh. As long as they don't start cutting up the game like a Mass Effect squadmate or something then it makes no difference to me.

Sort of wish they had waited to announce it, though. Even though 99 percent of games out there with DLC have it planned ahead of time, it just gets people into a rage when you tell them about it before release.

Yeah, it seems counter-intuitive.

I rarely even play multiplayer, but knowing me, I'm gonna wind up buying this :(

I rarely even play multiplayer, but knowing me, I'm gonna wind up buying this :(

Shhhhhh! Real facts don't matter to him!

Ill split it with ya brah.

Yeah I'm sure I'll get it as well. The way I see it, I've already dropped 100 on it so what's another 30? Especially if the MP is really good. RDR's MP was the first multiplayer experience this gen that sucked me in..

Fjordson

I don't think I will, but not due to any sort of boycott. I just don't stick with multiplayer shooters for long these days.

But Rockstar said in the comments section for this story on their site that this price is not a limited time offer. So if I really, really enjoy the MP then I might get it sometime down the line.

Simo

596680-gif_bane_1_and_here_we_go.gif

See, I posted this before, then I had to leave, but now I'm back to finish my thought.

At this point, I put no stock in your opinion since you literally do not seem to understand what the term 'spin-off' even means. If Remedy is okay with it, if Sam Lake is okay with it, if McCaffrey is okay with it, if nearly every other fan is excited for it, but you, and if there is not a single beach in the game, what exactly is your fucking problem?

You already exhausted too much effort with the gif. On the bright side we did almost go a month without a comment.

June 2012

Local Justice Map Pack

Summer 2012

Disorganized Crime Map Pack
Deathmatch Made In Heaven Mode Pack
Hostage Negotiation Map Pack
New York Minute Co-Op Pack

Fall 2012

Painful Memories Map Pack
Trickle Down Economics Map Pack

I'm probably part of the problem but I'm actually equally excited for multiplayer as I am the single player portion of the game so I'll probably cop the pass. Seems a fair bit of MP content compared to other shooters' DLC especially when you consider it's not just maps but extra story and narration for Gang Modes and gear for your avatar.

You already exhausted too much effort with the gif. On the bright side we did almost go a month without a comment.

I agree, I'm done with him.

I'm probably part of the problem but I'm actually equally excited for multiplayer as I am the single player portion of the game so I'll probably cop the pass. Seems a fair bit of MP content compared to other shooters' DLC especially when you consider it's not just maps but extra story and narration for Gang Modes and gear for your avatar.

You know what'd be awesome?

A Batman pack. Think about it.

Nibel

I wish I could understand people who shit up every single MP3 thread with their crazy mindset.

We get it. You are not a fan of this game. Just shut up with that stupid spin-off talk.

So fucking bitter, man

Blutonium

So a Max Payne game with a different writer and ADDED locations (New York is still there) is a spin off? This doesn't make sense.

dreamfall

I love Rockstar, I must admit. I always find that announcing DLC plans before a game is released leads to much resentment. Regardless, I think for Multiplayer, they're giving an extended plan of when maps are to be released with the Season pass. I thought it worked well with the DLC cases for L.A. Noire. I'm just not sure if $30 is a good price point (yet, I'm part of the problem because I will buy it).

That being said, I HOPE/PRAY that in a year's time or so after release, we get a $20 Single player addition. Like a new "Max Payne Episode" set in Eastern Europe or something. Rockstar has the best single player DLC episodes- which I'd gladly pay for.

I'm down for R* doing SP DLC as long as it isn't really outrageous like, for instance, Max taking down a zombie infestation in Jersey.

A long flashback episode with a younger pre-addiction Max would be cool though.

Top Bottom