• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk |OT| - Big men, bigger swords, OFF THE BOAT - Berserk #344 24/6/2016

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Huh I never read these other works by Miura
Japan, King of Wolves

Has anyone read them?

Miura actually created his first manga series at age 10, yes that's correct, called Miuranger.

oQB5ySX.jpg

We can all feel inadequate now.

As to Japan, it was created with the Fist of the North Star author Buronson and is pretty nationalistic and ok. King of Wolves was some weird alt history time travel story that was ok as well. Neither is a very long read, you're probably better off checking out his 1 volume story Gigantomakhia. Its got wrestling, crazy sci fi future, and giant monsters.

jett

D-Member
Miura actually created his first manga series at age 10, yes that's correct, called Miuranger.

We can all feel inadequate now.

As to Japan, it was created with the Fist of the North Star author Buronson and is pretty nationalistic and ok. King of Wolves was some weird alt history time travel story that was ok as well.

That's from Noa, not Miuranger, it seems. There are no surviving copies of Miuranger.

As to Japan, it was created with the Fist of the North Star author Buronson and is pretty nationalistic and ok. King of Wolves was some weird alt history time travel story that was ok as well. Neither is a very long read, you're probably better off checking out his 1 volume story Gigantomakhia. Its got wrestling, crazy sci fi future, and giant monsters.
Isn't the main character powered up by getting peed on?

HStallion

They're wandering through a desert and the 1000 year old computer girl pisses on the protag to try and sate his thirst. The protag is pretty non plussed about the whole thing. I'm not sure where the power up thing comes from.

They're wandering through a desert and the 1000 year old computer girl pisses on the protag to try and sate his thirst. The protag is pretty non plussed about the whole thing. I'm not sure where the power up thing comes from.
Comes from my bad memory and assuming a dude getting pissed on had logical plot relevance.

Tacitus_

The... "nectar" she pours on him at least heals his wounds.

Almost done with volume 8 and...is it weird that I still like Griffith on my second read? Granted I separate this Griffith with the Femto Griffith, but I still like him. Also I actually do like Charlotte on this read. She's a cutie and she's really into Griffith...even though I'm not really sure if it's mutual on Griffiths side. I do get the sense that she's a tool for him to ascend towards his dream. Though I do think there's something in him that likes her. I do get the sense that Griffith doesn't really know how to display his emotions, usually when he does it comes off as a bit self destructive.

Capra

Almost done with volume 8 and...is it weird that I still like Griffith on my second read? Granted I separate this Griffith with the Femto Griffith, but I still like him. Also I actually do like Charlotte on this read. She's a cutie and she's really into Griffith...even though I'm not really sure if it's mutual on Griffiths side. I do get the sense that she's a tool for him to ascend towards his dream. Though I do think there's something in him that likes her. I do get the sense that Griffith doesn't really know how to display his emotions, usually when he does it comes off as a bit self destructive.

I posted in the Unpopular Opinions thread about it, but I actually think pre-Femto Griffith is not only a good and nuanced character from a writing standpoint, but an actually fairly likeable guy. The stark contrast between the perfect leader he's hailed as and the very flawed human he actually is make him pretty sympathetic in those moments where you get to see him at his most vulnerable - in the flashback with Casca, during the 2nd fight with Guts, everything that happens after he forces himself on Charlotte, etc. Those moments also highlight just how little control Griffith has when his emotions overtake him and how much he's keeping himself in check.

In my interpretation, Griffith is constantly at risk of being crushed by the immensity of the dream he's decided to uphold and the responsibility he has towards both the living and dead who fought to keep it alive. I think he's making a constant effort to distance himself emotionally from others, or else just learned to numb himself in order to bear that burden, but when he meets Guts the disparity between their mindsets and Guts' perseverance appeals to him as his foil. I think Guts is the only person Griffith truly found himself able to be emotionally attached to and open with, which is why it's such an emotional shock and why he reacts so self-destructively when Guts leaves.

Pre-Eclipse Griffith is like a character in a Shakespearean tragedy. He's larger than life, but he's also immensely flawed and his flaws end up being the downfall of himself and everyone around him. I'm only on volume 32 right now but so far I feel like Femto/Reborn Griffith is the personification of Griffith's dream - a cold, unfeeling automaton who uses people without regard for them just to boost his ego or serve whatever end-goal the Godhand has. He has all the appeal of Griffith's dream that brought people to the Band of the Hawk, but none of the warmth and is outright spiteful whenever he's in Godhand-mode.

And confusion as a straight man for feeling things about Griffith.
Griffith is fucking husbando tier.
I posted in the Unpopular Opinions thread about it, but I actually think pre-Femto Griffith is not only a good and nuanced character from a writing standpoint, but an actually fairly likeable guy. The stark contrast between the perfect leader he's hailed as and the very flawed human he actually is make him pretty sympathetic in those moments where you get to see him at his most vulnerable - in the flashback with Casca, during the 2nd fight with Guts, everything that happens after he forces himself on Charlotte, etc. Those moments also highlight just how little control Griffith has when his emotions overtake him and how much he's keeping himself in check.

In my interpretation, Griffith is constantly at risk of being crushed by the immensity of the dream he's decided to uphold and the responsibility he has towards both the living and dead who fought to keep it alive. I think he's making a constant effort to distance himself emotionally from others, or else just learned to numb himself in order to bear that burden, but when he meets Guts the disparity between their mindsets and Guts' perseverance appeals to him as his foil. I think Guts is the only person Griffith truly found himself able to be emotionally attached to and open with, which is why it's such an emotional shock and why he reacts so self-destructively when Guts leaves.

Pre-Eclipse Griffith is like a character in a Shakespearean tragedy. He's larger than life, but he's also immensely flawed and his flaws end up being the downfall of himself and everyone around him. I'm only on volume 32 right now but so far I feel like Femto/Reborn Griffith is the personification of Griffith's dream - a cold, unfeeling automaton who uses people without regard for them just to boost his ego or serve whatever end-goal the Godhand has. He has all the appeal of Griffith's dream that brought people to the Band of the Hawk, but none of the warmth and is outright spiteful whenever he's in Godhand-mode.
One thing evidenced by Griffith is that he'll do many things to protect people and further his goals while putting himself in a position that's going to mentally fuck himself up. After it's revealed that he had sex with a lord to get more money to keep more people from dying it's obvious that he cares. I do think he cares for Charlotte, but I don't think it was ever explored that much during Golden Age, unless of course he's just that good at bullshitting people. He spoke openly to her about what he wants to accomplish and this is at a point where Charlotte is pretty new to his world. I will agree that it's not on the same level as his feelings for Guts. Even Femto will talk to Guts. I don't think he likes Rickert though. Dude caught a bitch smack and sentenced the kid to death.

I think you are supposed to like Griffith so that his betrayal hits you all the harder.

That said, on reread, I found him to be just too creepy. Maybe because I knew what was coming, but there's also plenty of foreshadowing and panels where he looks sinister.

HStallion

I think you are supposed to like Griffith so that his betrayal hits you all the harder.

That said, on reread, I found him to be just too creepy. Maybe because I knew what was coming, but there's also plenty of foreshadowing and panels where he looks sinister.

If they ever do another animated version of Berserk, or someone was crazy enough to attempt a live action adaptation, they should have it start from the beginning with the Snake Baron mini arc and then excise all the stuff involving the Slug Count and instead jump straight into the Golden Age arc. Take the Slug Count stuff and insert it in after Guts acquires the Dragon Slayer and begins his time as the Black Swordsman before leading into the Lost Children arc. Keeps the mystery surrounding the God Hand and what Griffith does more of a surprise. Over maybe I'm blaspheming.

Griffith isn't exactly creepy though. He flits between innocence and just straight sinister like an on off switch. That's kind of the weird thing with him. He has no sincere middle ground. Maybe with Casca, but he sort of just pretends to not love her.

Griffith isn't exactly creepy though. He flits between innocence and just straight sinister like an on off switch. That's kind of the weird thing with him. He has no sincere middle ground. Maybe with Casca, but he sort of just pretends to not love her.

I didn't read the manga until after I had already watched the 98 series and the Golden Age Trilogy, but yeah, Griffith was definitely off-putting early on, even before the Eclipse.

I think a lot of it came down to his world views and how crazily devoted the Band of the Hawks were to him.

Griffith is crazy charismatic. Plus, he's so pretty. I understand why people like him, until the eclipse, and then you've lost me. Post eclipse, he's just creepy to me, but that armor is amazing.

Griffith is crazy charismatic. Plus, he's so pretty. I understand why people like him, until the eclipse, and then you've lost me. Post eclipse, he's just creepy to me, but that armor is amazing.
Post Eclipse he ain't even human. Once I saw him just chilling talking to dead souls I'm like "dafuq is up with this bloke?" Human Griffith he's just repressed and child like to me...mostly. He can be good and then evil. He does have genuine moments of being a good person, but he's also at times just creepy as fuck. He cares INTENSELY and that's the thing I think most people feel put off by and then you see him revert back to being cold, which I think is that real armor he puts on. I think intense feeling Griffith is the real him combined with the childlike portion of his personality.

If they ever do another animated version of Berserk, or someone was crazy enough to attempt a live action adaptation, they should have it start from the beginning with the Snake Baron mini arc and then excise all the stuff involving the Slug Count and instead jump straight into the Golden Age arc. Take the Slug Count stuff and insert it in after Guts acquires the Dragon Slayer and begins his time as the Black Swordsman before leading into the Lost Children arc. Keeps the mystery surrounding the God Hand and what Griffith does more of a surprise. Over maybe I'm blaspheming.

I wouldn't mind. One thing I liked about the old anime was how it downplayed the supernatural stuff (to some extent, anyway) prior to the Eclipse.

Maybe that's what I'm responding to. You can't trust his "innocence" when it's cut with the sinister stuff, and then it starts to seem creepy. (Though, again, once you know how it all shakes out, it's impossible to trust him anyway.)

Maybe that's what I'm responding to. You can't trust his "innocence" when it's cut with the sinister stuff, and then it starts to seem creepy. (Though, again, once you know how it all shakes out, it's impossible to trust him anyway.)
I think he's at his most honest with Guts and that discussion he has with Charlotte about what he looks for in a friend. I don't think everything he says or does is bullshit. I think the most untrustworthy thing about him is that you don't always know which Griffith you're going to get.

I think he's at his most honest with Guts and that discussion he has with Charlotte about what he looks for in a friend. I don't think everything he says or does is bullshit. I think the most untrustworthy thing about him is that you don't always know which Griffith you're going to get.

Yeah I'll agree that he's remarkably upfront about his goals, especially in certain conversations. I mean that as a reader you can't trust (i.e., by lulled by) his innocent moments. I think this will prove true in the current arc as well. He might be making life better for some people but I'm not buying it.

I don't know if Berserk will ever have a happy ending, but I need to see him get what's coming to him.

HStallion

I wouldn't mind. One thing I liked about the old anime was how it downplayed the supernatural stuff (to some extent, anyway) prior to the Eclipse.

That's kind of what I was getting at. Maintain the mystery of exactly what happens to Griffith to make Guts so insanely angry at him. The Snake Baron part gives us a quick glimpse of Guts' inevitable future but Griffith isn't a big part of that except vaguely hinting at the horrible event that went down. The Slug Count stuff doesn't tell you all the details but it makes it a lot clearer to the audience that Griffith has done something quite literally monstrous and is surrounded by crazy extra dimensional beings.

I wouldn't want to get rid of those moments though and could see them easily slotting back into the Black Swordsman era of his life after the Eclipse and his time with Goto but before the Lost Children arc. Maintains the suspense that something does happen once the Golden Age flashback starts but not quite as obviously. That and the supernatural elements are lesser and it makes the shock of the Eclipse even more intense.

Honestly I prefer how that handled Griffith's rescue over the manga. I really don't like anything with Wyald, except his death.
Wyald was metal as fuck though, but I could see how it turned some people off. He was pretty much the simplest apostle and was there to show how strong Guts got. Guts pretty much one shotted Griffith for a reason.

Capra

Wyald was metal as fuck though, but I could see how it turned some people off. He was pretty much the simplest apostle and was there to show how strong Guts got. Guts pretty much one shotted Griffith for a reason.

Wyald is the worst apostle, in every regard. Not only is his human design basically "bargain bin Zodd" but his man-child personality was also grating as fuck. And he had probably the dumbest-looking apostle form of any with their own dedicated chapter.

Fuck Wyald.

Edit: Also I haven't played it yet but the fact that Wyald got a spot on the Berserk Musou roster instead of a more deserving or less shit-tier character like Skull Knight, Grunbeld, etc. will always piss me off.

Rereading the first chapter. So many things are so we'll set up. The demon child, the brand, the atmosphere of the post golden age.

So fucking good. At the part where the female child is impaled, so impactful

HStallion

Rereading the first chapter. So many things are so we'll set up. The demon child, the brand, the atmosphere of the post golden age.

So fucking good. At the part where the female child is impaled, so impactful

Uhh you should probably stay out of this topic till you get to like volumes in the mid twenties.

^ive read all of berserk

Wyald is fuckin terrifying looking. His arc is probably the most unsettling to me especially the whole rape bits.

Griffiths most honest moment I think was before guys when Cascade met him whilst he was bathing. He knows what he has to do in order to achieve his dreams but it hurts him. We see this through him clawing his skin until he bleeds.

There's the choking scene before the eclipse.

Charlotte scene on friendship.

I want to say the whole kill the queen arc was an important shift in his being.

Griffiths character is just so well done. But then again all the characters are well done.

Pucks change from funny, to empathitic elf friend, back to funny wants guys meet family is great

Grudy

Has there been any news on the new series getting bluray releases? Just got the 97 series and the movies on bluray and want more :D

I remember seeing gifs of improvements made for the bluray release of the 2016 anime so it shouldn't be far off. Might be out even but I can't check right now.

I remember seeing gifs of improvements made for the bluray release of the 2016 anime so it shouldn't be far off. Might be out even but I can't check right now.

Yeah the bluray versions of the movies were great visually speaking, i had no issue with the CGI scenes. Surround sound was used to a good effect too.

edit:
huh, yeah googling comparisons they have apparently made significant changes to the TV show as well for bluray:
aGDYeQK_700b_v1.jpg

Grudy

Yeah the bluray versions of the movies were great visually speaking, i had no issue with the CGI scenes. Surround sound was used to a good effect too.

edit:
huh, yeah googling comparisons they have apparently made significant changes to the TV show as well for bluray:
aGDYeQK_700b_v1.jpg

umm I think that's a comparison between the initial trailers and the released one showing the downgrades lol

The director initially wanted a much darker and grimy look for the 3D models but ended up scrapping the idea. There was an article about, i'll try to look it up.

Edit: https://www.animenewsnetwork.cc/feature/2017-07-07/what-the-heck-happened-to-berserk/.117834

Mista

Banned
Hey OP, if you're in the other place please post this OT. If you aren't, allow me to post it on your behalf

ragon

Chapter 354 is out.

Can't wait for the next chapter!

I saw this scene of Berserk when played the Dreamcast version before it was something could happen next!

Dubloon7

Banned
this website is dead.

Berserk has been back for a couple of months, and we have come to a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE forward to the story plot.

i've been talking to a few people regarding the latest chapter and i see it totally different from all others. i won't spoil anything but i don't see this looking too good from now on as my heart sank to the bottom of the sea.

Top Bottom