• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jijidasu

Mist, if you move can you post here? I'm playing on Marlboro from Japan, but the people In used to play regularly with moved back to the States and out of my time zone.

Might be worth transferring if there are more JPers on Ultros. Another player also recommended Tonberry (unofficial Aussie / JP server) as well. I'm still considering it since I play NIN and am constantly worried about ping. Interestingly enough, Primal DC is GOOD connection, while JP DCs are POOR.

Can't promise we'll always be active but as Hasemo said, we've got a small nest on Durandal. We've never really had enough people to make a static group for raids though. We also have a large Japanese community LS and FC outside of our private scandalous foreigner LS, too.

Eh, Arm of the Destroyer is actually pretty useful if you use both Purification and Invigorate. I use it very frequently (when there are enough enemies, of course). I'd kill for abilities like One Ilm Punch being used more frequently though- the rotation hasn't changed much since 2.0, so Monk is starting to feel awfully stale.
I mean, it's good enough to use when there's 5+ mobs but the situations where you get that besides stuff like "HERE'S 10921302193 TRASH MOBS AT ONCE" rooms in dungeons like ARF are super rare.

I mean, it's good enough to use when there's 5+ mobs but the situations where you get that besides stuff like "HERE'S 10921302193 TRASH MOBS AT ONCE" rooms in dungeons like ARF are super rare.

Both of the current EX roulette dungeons have packs with enough enemies to make it worthwhile, and it's useful in Gubal HM lore speedruns as well. I think the real issue is whether or not your other party members are putting out enough DPS to burn the mobs down before you run dry on TP. It makes a good run even better, but it is going to be situational otherwise. As it stands currently, I don't think it really needs any changes- if anything, Goad becoming a cross role skill is a soft buff for the ability (again though, this depends on your party...)

studyguy

I had to delete some mail yesterday because my ingame inbox was full.
I thought I had cleared enough space prior. I still had my legacy chocobo mail in there.

Moaradin

20170526182642_1y9a16.jpg

Spent many months leveling and doing PVP (which I don't even like), but I finally did it. Time to immediately regret my life choices.

CLBridges

Spent many months leveling and doing PVP (which I don't even like), but I finally did it. Time to immediately regret my life choices.

Congrats!? lol

I just can't get into pvp no matter how many times I try. As soon as I get into a match I just think "what am I doing and why?" Maybe the Stormblood changes will make it more approachable for me.

Foxxsoxx

Congrats!? lol

I just can't get into pvp no matter how many times I try. As soon as I get into a match I just think "what am I doing and why?" Maybe the Stormblood changes will make it more approachable for me.

For me, at least the ones I played with 70 something players was more like OK how am I going to get ganked by 26 people at once.

There is a point where there are just too many players to really even analyse what is going on, especially on controller. You ever try and tab target someone when there are 30 people in front of you?

Moaradin

Well, they clearly care about it considering all the work they did to try and revamp it for the expansion. Hope it's better this time.

I still think PvP is a waste of resources

Scrap it and give us extra PvE content pls

If they manage to create an appealling PvP, it would do wonders to keep the game fresh between updates, instead of having to run the same dungeons 300 times or wasting time on Gold Saucer...

The thing is, you wouldn't get much content if they scrapped PvP, in terms of asset creation is minimal compared to even a single dungeon.

iammeiam

u right u right. I forgot that everyone plays XIV for the brilliant PvP

Ok, but most of the playerbase plays to have their FF fandom pandered to and that's about it. I have no idea what the actual participation is as a percentage of the playerbase, but if we stop wasting resources on the minor factions of the playerbase they'll end up dropping raiding to bring back the third EX dungeon per patch. I'm down for yelling at them for adding dumb stuff, but am less stoked about them cutting content they've cultivated even a small community for.

Also repose spamming in Shatter is hilarious. Second only to baiting a couple of LBs onto you and mashing Attunement.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Creating an appealing PVP means fixing underlying systems with regards to movement, positioning, input processing, netcode, and latency.

So I'm all for a fixed PVP, because it'll make everyone happy.

Omni

Creating an appealing PVP means fixing underlying systems with regards to movement, positioning, input processing, netcode, and latency.

So I'm all for a fixed PVP, because it'll make everyone happy.
Sarcasm aside, yeah, I think this is where I stand overall.

They need to completely overhaul and fix PvP properly, or they shouldn't even bother and put the resources into something the majority will use. These half measures aren't enough. I like what they showed off at the live letter, but until they address things concerning the actual engine and networking model the game is running on, then it's like what even is the point.

iammeiam

They need to completely overhaul and fix PvP properly, or they shouldn't even bother and put the resources into something the majority will use. These half measures aren't enough. I like what they showed off at the live letter, but until they address things concerning the actual engine and networking model the game is running on, then it's like what even is the point.

Again, PVP has a relatively small but pretty dedicated community. The players are pretty consistent, they'll set up their own tournaments, teams will server transfer to participate, new Feast seasons spur renewed activity without requiring a ton of asset development, and Frontlines gets a decent amount of play. It also enabled them to drop a bunch of Garo gear, develop zero new content, and still stimulate a ton of activity.

You serve that group for the same reason you serve raiders or you add an RP status flag when RP outside Balmung is generally not a thing--maintaining that section of the population is good for the game as a whole.

Squishy3

i highly doubt anyone working on pvp works on the pve side, so... aside from maybe asset generation, but even then a lot of the pvp maps and stuff is just made from stuff already in the game

also after doing some potd today fuck doing potd with randoms come stormblood. it's bad enough now and it's not even filled with red mages and samurai yet!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Happy Expansion Month! And may the new content ever be in your favor.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I'm very happy with the pvp change - PSO2 recently introduced a system where your pve skills and equipment don't matter and everyone's on an equal playing field (it's a bit more randomized than FFXIV, but that's beside the point) and I've been having way more fun with it compared to FFXIV/WoW, where I have to manage 3+ hotbars of skills and worry about my gear.

Strakt

Is this game easy for new players to get into? And by new i mean completely new from a realm reborn.. btw whats a popular NA server?

Kenai

Is this game easy for new players to get into? And by new i mean completely new from a realm reborn.. btw whats a popular NA server?

It's extremely friendly to new players once you log in. The account/login creation is honestly the most daunting thing (and it isn't always, it just can be).

There's a lot of GAF on Ultros and Balamung (ERP) and Gilgamesh (raiding) are both pretty popular, but character creation on them can be rough outside of the wee hours of the morning. They also have WoW-like cross server stuff for most content so even a dead server has DF options. Expansion is in a few weeks so there will be a lot of people playing too.

I'm trying to finish my Sea of Clouds Aether Currents and I'm seriously struggling here. I finished about half of them before letting my sub lapse so I don't remember which ones I grabbed and which ones I didn't. I've been using a guide and I've been going to them one by one, but there have been several times where I've walked into parts of the map shrouded in the fog that have now been revealed, but no Aether current. The Into the Blue quest is a prerequisite but I've already completed that one. Are these currents glitched or something?

2e11406.gif

Squishy3

There's an entire side of the map that's not accessible because it's a higher level area than you are, you'll go there through the story. Don't get too worked up about it.

From what I remember about half of the aether currents in Sea of Clouds are on a side you can't access by land unless you go through a different area. But this was back in 3.0

Maybe try and bum a ride from someone with a two-person mount to find currents
I have access to the Camp Cloudtop and Ok' Zundu Aether Crystals, the second one being a landmass I couldn't access until advancing far enough in the HW story.

Apoptomon

speaking of aethercurrents, I had a feeling they might have mentioned it, but can't remember..... Have they said anything about swimming currents?

iammeiam

Yeah I tried searching for an updated list and found that page too. I have them all, unfortunately. I appreciate you taking the time to help me though.

Aether currents are super annoying; hopefully this helps? I forgot this place existed. Heavenswhere is a super useful site for location stuff in HW in general (treasure maps, hunt mobs, w/e). They updated aether currents post-3.3:
04/09: Added elite mark spawn locations and remapped the aether currents altered in Patch 3.3

If not, sorry, but keep the site bookmarked since it'll be useful if you want to do hunts or treasure maps or fishing or gathering or anything else.

Aether currents are super annoying; hopefully this helps? I forgot this place existed. Heavenswhere is a super useful site for location stuff in HW in general (treasure maps, hunt mobs, w/e). They updated aether currents post-3.3:

If not, sorry, but keep the site bookmarked since it'll be useful if you want to do hunts or treasure maps or fishing or gathering or anything else.
Ooh those look like they might be correct! I'll start looking. I've only got one more to go.
Edit: I found it!!!

lg3jIIm.gif

aceface

speaking of aethercurrents, I had a feeling they might have mentioned it, but can't remember..... Have they said anything about swimming currents?

No swimming currents. You can swim right away. There aren't any enemies or battles underwater...just gathering.

dabig2

So, will they lift the tomes of scripture limit when SB comes out? Right now you can really only get 2-3 pieces of i260 gear a week, but I have to assume with the level cap reaching 70 that the cap for 260 gear will be raised, especially if they make that kind of gear buyable/quest awarded at the start.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I think what they said was that all HW tomestones will be gone and former tomestone gear will be purchasable with poetics which are probably around forever. Something to that effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom