• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN 2.0: What should it be like? (Twitter #BetterPSN)

i-Jest

In no particular order...
  1. Two factor authentication
  2. Remove the minimum funding amount for purchases
  3. Unlimited cloud storage for game saves
  4. PS Plus cloud storage for captures (a limit is acceptable here)
  5. Purchase and management of PS Vita downloads through PS4 store
  6. PS Plus adverts disabled when already subscribed
  7. Gifting of items
  8. Everyone wants faster speeds (even though I have no problems with it)
  9. Global game statistics (play time, etc.)

Also cross region accounts. Makes no sense for accounts to be region locked when games aren't these days.

Andrefpvs

Give the option to MERGE ACCOUNTS.

I was one of the unlucky dipshits who were told to create a secondary account back in 2010 if I wanted a Master account. Now I have to manage a sub-account and a Master account, with different purchases and trophies and friend lists. :mad:

That really sucks. Having a PS Vita would be a nightmare to you, with its 1 account lock.

Only thing I would really care about would be PS2 BC. The only reason my OG PS3 is still plugged in is because that's the only way for me to play PS2 games right now without having to bring out my OG PS2.

Sometimes I wonder if it would be wise if Sony would form a partnership with a big name tech giant to help them further develop the PSN store and their PS4 firmware jointly.

8byte

Banned
The social stuff is cool, but "mentions" would be really awesome for the "What's new" section (provided you can add comments).

B_Boss

While I've a list of things I could post, and seeing many of them posted already I'll at least list:

* The ability to block or disable Party Invitations.

Surprising how this simple feature doesn't exist.

cgoodno

Neo Member
Taking this to twitter without a simple and specific goal is not going to get anything done. We all want a ton of things, but you're throwing the kitchen sink at Sony in a social media aspect.

Let me tell you how this will work out: They will do what they were going to do anyway.

Why? Because if they suddenly give in to just one item, you'll keep pestering them for more. That's more bad press for them even though they actually listened to something. You're essentially attempting to blackmail them with bad PR until they do what you want.

Add on top of this the obvious trolls who will run with this just to troll.

Perhaps there were good intentions with this, but the end result is just a lot of gamers who want more. Guess what, you're always going to want more. That's pretty much every customer for every business.

There needs to be a different way to do this other than turning social media against the company you are trying to work with to get things done. This isn't that way.

cgoodno

Neo Member
I would like to delete a bunch of trophy lists that are under 5%.
They give you 0%, you ask for 5%. *chuckles*

I'd just say go all the way and allow people to just delete any game from the trophy listing that they want with this line of thinking. Still allow them to show up on comparisons, though.

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781
Also cross region accounts. Makes no sense for accounts to be region locked when games aren't these days.

Not in the traditional sense but sometimes NA games sometimes have less gore than games released in EU/Germany

Persona7

Banned
They give you 0%, you ask for 5%. *chuckles*

I'd just say go all the way and allow people to just delete any game from the trophy listing that they want with this line of thinking. Still allow them to show up on comparisons, though.

0% didn't really help me because all the ones I want gone are 1-5% but yes, that would be fine too.

ethomaz

Banned
i'm sure that page hasnt been in use for years.
I check it some times and almost all top features has been implemented... I do think they check it.

Last one was PS4 media player and DLNA... it is closed now (Update 2: This feature is now available using the PS4 Media Player application, released during E3 2015).

xJavonta

Banned
The free multiplayer people are wasting their time. They heard your complaints when the PS4 launched. PS+ is regularly $30/year on Black Friday. No one is bothering to complain about it anymore because it's not a huge deal.

What is a big deal is that Xbox Live is the same price but it's online infrastructure is infinitely better than PSN. Honestly, I don't think anyone would give a shit about the price of PS+ if everything was more polished. Right now it's just kinda a clusterfuck and while it works, it's far from ideal.

A lot of these suggestions are spot on. And I know this is about PSN, but with a PSN overhaul I think a PS4 OS overhaul is needed. Something that will really compliment the updates to PSN. Much like the Xbox One dash.

Edit: also, PSN needs community. Right now, it's practically non existent. The little section they have there currently is a joke and there is no sense of social networking there. Tomorrow once I'm off work I think I'll make some mockups

Mastperf

Would dedicated servers qualify in this thread? I'd like to have that.
That's up to individual developers just the same as it is on other services. Sony could have them for all of their games but that would only be a small fraction of games on the platform.

Soul_Pie

I still have plenty of issues accessing the store, or pages just not loading at all once I'm actually on there. It's becoming a serious impediment to me buying games online, and properly exploring the store. Not sure how common a problem this is, though, but it's seriously frustrating. Add to that some pretty spotty download speeds and overall it just makes for a very annoying experience. That's not even getting into the other issues of the navigation of the store which could be more refined.

Bahlor

I have not much to say as you guys already got an awesome list right here, but there is something I always wanted and realize it could be more useful than ever in the current generation.

* let us download updates of games, even if we don't have them yet. For example TESO had an 16 Gbyte day 1 update... wish I could've downloaded this ahead of the game.

* Mod support for games, maybe similar to steam (If I remember correctly, its called "workshop" on the community page of a game). Even if only verified mods are allowed in there, it would be better than absolutely no mods. Some games (f.e. Skyrim) were so much better with mods.

* Early access of games... not sure how to do it in a good way, but I'm actually a fan of early access, seeing a game developed, grow and being "part" of it. I like that and would love to see this on PS4.

I want to be able to delete a game off my ps4 but not its updates.
My current HDD is at max so im having to delete one game to install another and when I do I also have to now download its updates thus delaying my gaming even further.

Paganmoon

For me the number one thing right now is a better CDN. Not only will it help with download speeds, but it's with better and more CDN's, more cloud storage sort of comes for "free" for them, so it's two birds with one stone.

+More customization options for your PSN profile card.

However, I imagine the lack there of is due to cyber security of personal information.

+Displaying global rarity for each acquired trophy and additional trophy statistics.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
oh yeah, statistics per game and total would be cool

also if this campaign is going, i think it would help if you would have a nice short link to the thread in the tweet. like http://bit.do/betterpsn or even shorter bit.do/betterpsn (both allready working, but i dont know if twitter clients recognize the one without http as a valid URL)
you can check the stats for the shorturl here http://bit.do/betterpsn-

also QRCode for the Thread (dunno if this is any help but nonetheless):

small:
chart

big:
chart

In-Famous

An option to to pre-download day 1 patches for games from the store. Especially for those big updates ¬_¬
So if you buy a new game and you're at work you can download the patch from the web store and hopefully by the time you get home all you have to do is launch the game

Download servers. It can't just be me, and from the topics, it isn't. 6+ hours to download Drive Club.

You're paying for PS+. You're paying for internet that works fine on every other device. You're probably paying way more for a digital copy. It isn't acceptable.

Yoday

On top of the changes I would also like more communication from Sony. Six months between updates is bad enough, but we also have no idea what they are working on for the majority of that time. They need to at least let us know if they are working on providing a better digital experience. I'd like them to acknowledge that they know how fucked up it is that I have two completely useless versions of Destiny in my library. The XB1 lets you hide things, and doesn't keep DLC in your library, Sony should be at least matching that.

sTiTcH AU

Unlimited cloud save storage that isn't behind PS+ would be a great start. PSN being more consistent with download speeds would also be very welcome. A faster way to search in the store.

my 2 cents on some of these bullet points:

Free, unlimited (or at least significantly increased in size) cloud storage for saves, as well as a family account feature set for saves (no need for sub accounts), auto-sync save files as they are modified
This is probably the most annoying thing currently for me on this list and it even only affects their paying userbase.
I'm fine with it being a PS+ feature (that's why there is the free option to manually back-up saves on a USB stick etc.), though I guess making it a console instead of account feature like online pay should be considered by them (one primary account with PS+ is enough to allow online for all accounts on that system).

Username changing along with a username history system in the user's profile page
Honestly, I like it better that there is a main fixed identifier. But as I'm fine with my nickname I can't relate.
Although I must say, this is only a problem if you care what random ass people think of your nickname. PS4 allows you to enter whatever names, which is then displayed in the OS, games and for "real-name"-friends instead of your PSN nick. I only really play online with these people.
I e.g. also used that to rename all my fake accounts to reflect the (PS Store) countries they are from.

Cloud storage for screenshots, especially trophy screenshots (maybe recordings too if 30 sec or less?)
They don't even need their own solutions, just integrate dropbox and google as upload options.

Store wishlist, gifting system (cross-region gifting?)
Yeah these things would be nice to have and it's weird not to integrate them as it will increase sells.

Enhanced Store game pages, include user reviews, make screenshots/videos standard for all titles
Probably not gonna happen. They would have to spend resources on moderation and publishers etc. don't like to have any info on their gamepage that isn't provided/controlled by them. I think Sony rather wants to built up systems that let you know what your friends bought/rated low/high (kinda already there).

Online/offline status
Yes please. Maybe even a invisible option (they probably won't do that though as it's against their social concept)

Better friends list functionality with nicknames, grouping by categories (games, relationship), and VIP tags tied to the notification system
This would be so great. I just want to make a list of gaffers and real-life friends with different settings applied to it (e.g. they should introduce a system that allows you to get notified when members of a certain group come online)

Enhanced user profile page showing favorite games, screenshots/recordings, game wishlist, deeper activity sections (game statistics)
On the user profile page they already show content uploaded by the person (for facebook it has to be set to public / you have to allow the fb integration for others to see I think). Ratings for games also show up IIRC but it's a chronological feed so stuff gets buried fast so there should be categories.

Account region change
I can see all sorts of problems with this due to different regional versions of games in the individual stores, some content not available in all stores so you would lose the licenses etc.
First they have to unify their PS Stores, at least in the background so that all content is the same and accessible from any store even when not available there for purchase.
Personally, I would rather have a account-merge option so that I can unify all my content spread over different accounts (although at least the PS4 still lets you access any content from any account and puts downloaded content from other accounts in the library as well)

Search function, better organization and filters for download history/library
It's shame that they still haven't improved the download list for ANY device.
Although I don't care anymore since the PSDLE userscript lets you search and sort your PSN download list on PC in any way possible.
I'm actually pretty about the library on PS4. I always wanted to have alphabetical sorting of games on PS3 and now I have it. Searching is also easy when you always have the PS camera (or a microphone) connected as you can jump to any game/app by just saying its name. Works pretty swell and faster than any text input.
Though it would be great if we could delete demos/betas etc from our PS4 library... I adjusted by downloading demos only from my fake accounts so that they don't clutter up the list in my real account after deletion. Sorting by installed/not-installed would be great, too.

Universal game invites
See my post above, I don't get what this means here. My online party experience has been pretty much like I would expect an universal game invite feature to work.

Custom avatars (purchasable or own uploaded via PS app)
Similar to the renaming your account, this is a non-issue for me as the PS app DOES allow you to use custom avatars to show in the OS, games and for "real-name" friends. I don't really care what random people see and I understand that they will probably never allow custom pics for everyone to see due to the resulting millions of dick pics.
It's much more weird that you can't access the PS3 avatars from the PS4...

MrHawkins

Neo Member
  • Automatic trophy syncing on Background
  • Friends Tab to the Live from Playstation app to see if any of my friends list is broadcasting
  • Highlights Subtitles and Languages avaliable on Store Page (Like Steam)
    steam-languages-support.jpg

fedexpeon

Banned
PS cloud storage to unlimited.
A fricken search bar that looks for keyword geezus christ.
Use the SEN PSN website for buying stuff please. Just delete the PSN store front.
Download speed needs to be fixed.

Li Kao

Just twitted about...
- Implementing an official PSDLE.
- Improving DL speed.
- Getting the US PSN team to get their act together and stop shitting the bed at every opportunity.

What immediately came to mind, in other word. But there is surely so much more to say.

Bahlor

Ok those recommendations are all really awesome and I just wanted to contribute something to this thread. However I hope this doesn't count as self advertising or is against the rules, as own websites etc are not allowed. But in this case I did this for this specific purpose and no other intention behind, also please don't share it with the public.

I thought it would be a nice idea to have this list built with an vote option, so I made a small list for us on neogaf to easily maintain the suggestion list and sort them by voting suggestions up or down. To have it always up to date on the frontpage I added an additional image that gets rendered with the whole list.

There are no user accounts or whatever and it's not totally checked but I have enough trust in NeoGAF to not destroy it totally.

If anyone has anything to say against this, just let me know and I will instantly take it down.

Quote to reveal link to the tool and link to current suggestion list image:

Please don't ban me! xD

Top Bottom