• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch is Nintendo's fastest selling game system (US, 906K), Zelda over 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penguin

Imagine a typo that Zelda sold more on Switch than Switch sold at launch but eh what we got

Nintendo Switch, the new home gaming system that people can also take on the go, has sold faster in its launch month than any other video game system in Nintendo history. The Nintendo Switch system sold more than 906,000 units in March, according to the NPD Group, which tracks video game sales in the United States. That makes Nintendo Switch one of the fastest-selling video game systems of all time. Notably, this sales surge was accomplished in a nontraditional month for a console launch.

The Nintendo Switch system sold more than 906,000 units in March, according to the NPD Group, which tracks video game sales in the United States.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild game sold over 1.3 million units*. That total includes more than 925,000 units sold for Nintendo Switch and nearly 460,000 units sold for the Wii U console.

Penguin

I imagine Zelda Switch is 825 not 925

Nope it's clarified

They assume folks bought standard edition and limited edition

That means that Nintendo sold more of this game for Nintendo Switch than it sold Nintendo Switch systems, for an attach rate of more than 100 percent. This may be attributed to people who purchased both a limited edition of the game to collect and a second version to play.

Steiner

Banned
Not a typo. That address this in the press release.

That means that Nintendo sold more of this game for Nintendo Switch than it sold Nintendo Switch systems, for an attach rate of more than 100 percent. This may be attributed to people who purchased both a limited edition of the game to collect and a second version to play.

Nope it's clarified

Beaten.

Lol I actually bought Zelda on Switch without having the system yet just because I have no sense of self-control, so that figure's probably legit.

I've been playing it on Wii U though, don't worry.

Congrats, Nintendo. The whole idea that Switch would be another Wii U was crazy talk from the beginning. BOTW is a magnificent game so it's fantastic to see it have a great start.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Nope it's clarified

That + some people bought Zelda but can't find a Switch yet.

Soph

Time to think about the spices some people on GAF will need for their delicious crow. My spice of choice for them would obviously be salt, it has to be salt.

Welcome back Nintendo

Sanke__

So breath of the wild has a higher than 100% attach rate

I think it's safe to say that is a new record

I would guess it is because of the special editions

Celine

Anyway good result for launch, no wonder stocks are low across the Country.
Nintendo and retailers were probably surprised by the high demand.

So that's almost certainly over a million sold in the States atm, since we're midway into April. 600k from Japan, and Europe I imagine might do something in between the two, given Zelda. So Switch... probably somewhere in the middle of 2-3 million sold globally?

GDGF

Soothsayer
lxch1IY.gif

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Four of those are mine...replacements for various issues after returning three of them.

If you returned it to Nintendo, rather than a retailer, how would they track those sales?

Unless you bought each one of those perfectly fine Switch units, this doesn't include that.

maxcriden

Yeah..now try to keep it up. With good games.

Seems like they will be, based on first party at least.

MK8 end of month, ARMS in June, Splatoon 2 in July, Fire Emblem Warriors and Xenoblade 2 and Mario Odyssey this year, plus likely one or two other titles.

Trojan

Kudos to Nintendo. First system of theirs I've owned since the N64 and it's a cool device.

That being said, this is 90% due to Zelda. That's the only reason I bought the console.

13ruce

Banned
Zelda fans are crazy.

Might be people who bought a copy afraid that it might be sold out when they finally find a Switch. Or just to reserve it.

Not that crazy did the same as a kid had Twilght Princess before i had a Wii.

hatchx

Banned
I had a friend but zelda for switch but couldn't get a switch. I can see it...being a thing.

Also go Nintendo! They deserve the success, BoTW is one of the best games ever. So happy I bought Nintendo stock a few months ago!

Still too early to claim Switch success, eh, GAF?

Any figures for other console launches for reference?

I think Switch will be just fine, but a great launch doesn't guarantee long term success. Nothing wrong with waiting a few months before declaring the system a huge hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom