• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch is Nintendo's fastest selling game system (US, 906K), Zelda over 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Persona7

Banned
If you returned it to Nintendo, rather than a retailer, how would they track those sales?

Unless you bought each one of those perfectly fine Switch units, this doesn't include that.

I did buy four directly though. Returns to Nintendo don't make sense when I could return in store and grab another unit. I don't think returns to the same store count as a -1.

Didnt the Wii u had good numbers at the start too? That said, they did ship alot more consoles early this time.

Not really. Wii U numbers were shy. And lol no they haven't shipped ENOUGH consoles. Sales would be waaaay bigger if Nintendo had produced more consoles to address demand.

Griss

Launch doesn't mean everything, but it means a hell of a lot. This is clearly no Wii U.

Most importantly, the system has good vibes and momentum with the gaming and general public. "That thing that's selling like hotcakes" is a perception that only leads to more sales.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
that's terrific - it's so heartening to see a big market for a AAA-tier handheld in 2017.

mario kart 8 deluxe is poised to carry the momentum into summer, too. this is dope.

TS-08

I did buy four directly though. Returns to Nintendo don't make sense when I could return in store and grab another unit. I don't think returns to the same store count as a -1.

I actually believe returns are factored, somehow. I believe it was said that the Wii U's January 2013 numbers were greatly affected by returns.

Kusagari

I think Breath of the Wild officially wins the crown of biggest system seller in video game history.

That number is just what the fuck?

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe

If you returned three to the retailer then it probably counts them all, sure. Didn't know if you did that or went through Nintendo.

selo

Yep, i know a couple of friends who bought zelda thinking they had their preorder in (and then got cancelled/missed), so I understand why that number would be bigger haha.

I also got my zelda first then the switch :D

I am sad about the Zelda numbers though. Nintendo will believe that a narrative-devoided route is the way to success for the franchise.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I think Breath of the Wild officially wins the crown of biggest system seller in video game history.

I think that title belongs to Wii Sports which single handedly turned the Wii into a social phenomenon.

I've met players in Super Bomberman R who don't have Zelda on their activity log, just Bomberman. I guess not everyone is into Zelda but it's so weird to think there are Switch owners out there without it.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned

I think you're forgetting:

511vBBiKpGL._AC_SX430_.jpg

TS-08

Didnt the Wii u had good numbers at the start too? That said, they did ship alot more consoles early this time.

Well not only did it not sell this well (we know because this is now the set selling system in Nintendo history for a first month in the US), the Wii U also launched in November. No reason to compare, really.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
This isn't even its final form. Holiday Season coming soon.

Yeah, you think it is crazy now, just think of all those amazing games combined with it being the "must have Christmas present."

I think if you don't get it in the summer "down" period, you aren't getting the console until 2018.

Nyoro SF

Breath of the Wild tho. More like Word of Mouth of the Wild. Even my co-workers who don't normally care for Nintendo were talking about it, which in my experience was pretty pretty crazy.

Sterok

Zelda was always a darling in America. Never expected any different. Over 100% attach rate was less expected admittedly.

Boke1879

Still too early to claim Switch success, eh, GAF?

I still think we should revisit this in a year.

It's a huge success out of the gate. No denying that. And at least first party wise. They seem to have enough to keep their core base engaged. Splatoon and Mario will be huge for this thing.

But the giant question mark is still 3rd parties. Will that have any impact?

wildfire

Banned
Still too early to claim Switch success, eh, GAF?

Yeah it is. The launch sales were obvious because Nintendo came out with a contender for greatest for all time, interest shown in google searches and youtube traffic was higher than Wii and even the Wii U practically sold out during its debut. The earliest should be when we see what happens when Mario Kart releases because there is a 2 month gap for big games until it is available.

Personally my metric will be shaped by E3 announcements.

Giolon

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, which will keep the Switch train chugging along.

It might, but didn't that game sell 5 million copies on the Wii U already? I'm sure there's a large portion of people that have/want a Switch that didn't buy a Wii U, but I wonder if the game being old hurts it at all and how long MK8 could sustain a sales boost.

pardon my ignorance in advance, but is that good? Like how does it compare to other launches?

It says right in the title, it's the fastest selling Nintendo system ever, and the Wii launch was nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom