• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch is Nintendo's fastest selling game system (US, 906K), Zelda over 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Instro

I admit my math is wonky, and wrong.

Here is what i meant and my source.

http://www.polygon.com/2017/4/13/12887838/nintendo-switch-sales-figures-npd

The switch moved half the amount of units compared to the PS4 and the switch had double the amount of time. Clearly that is not 25% so i take that back, but still not impressed for the same reasons !

The article does not state US or World sales so if that is wrong, feel free to write Polygon.

That 14 day number is global sales: http://www.sie.com/en/corporate/release/2013/131203b.html

His hatred towards Nintendo is his lifeforce. As long as Nintendo is still alive, so will ninjablade to ensure that all in the world know how lame he thinks Nintendo is.

lol i don't hate nintendo, i only hate that nintendo hides it's specs, and how fans make it seem like 3-5x more powerful then it really is, for the past 3 generations.

as for switch i think will do 35-45 million overall, nintendo has the handheld market on lock, even though it's getting much smaller, as for these numbers they are not impressive to me because it's nintendo next home console and handheld, with zelda, probably would sold much better at 250$, or maybe supply constrained?

The Wart

lol i don't hate nintendo, i only hate that nintendo hides it's specs, and how fans make it seem like 3-5x more powerful then it really is for the past 3 generations.

as for switch i think will do 35-45 million overall, nintendo has the handheld market on lock, even though it's getting much smaller, as for these numbers they are not impressive to me because it's nintendo next home console and handheld, with zelda, probably would sold much better at 250$, or maybe supply constrained?

But the Switch has been supply constrained. So it would not have sold better at $250. Going forward of course, yes, obviously the demand curve slopes down.

Arynio

The switch moved half the amount of units compared to the PS4 and the switch had double the amount of time. Clearly that is not 25% so i take that back, but still not impressed for the same reasons !

The article does not state US or World sales so if that is wrong, feel free to write Polygon.

Lol Polygon. But where's the graph?

They are comparing USA figures for the Switch to WW figures for the other two. WW Switch numbers are close to 2.4M actually if SuperData is to be believed.

Sharing that article when the correct graph has been posted multiple times in this thread means your transparency is far less wonky than your maths.

jonno394

Those numbers are worldwide btw. Polygon are comparing USA figures for the Switch against ww for everything else. Idiots.

Ahhh, comparing Switch NA sales to PS4 and XB1 worldwide sales. Thanks Polygon.

Edit - To be fair, PS4 and XB1 didn't launch in Japan until 2014, but their comparison is still hilarious.

D.Lo

Ahhh, comparing Switch NA sales to PS4 and XB1 worldwide sales. Thanks Polygon.

Edit - To be fair, PS4 didn't launch in Japan until 2014, but their comparison is still hilarious.
PS4's later Japanese launch also allowed for more stock for sale at launch for the west, so there can't be a direct comparison anyway.

Match ups are always difficult when comparing staggered launches. All the graphs comparing PS2 to other consoles (Wii/PS3/PS4 were/are common ones) are meaningless because they either don't take into account staggered launch including the slow Japan only availability, or they (less commonly) re-align it and combine the stock available of two separate time periods. Or when people talk about the Dreamcast launch line up being good, meaning the US launch, by which time the console was actually almost a year old.

All you can ever really do fairly is compare worldwide shipment numbers from the original launch, whatever territory that is. And even then you have time of year issues, March vs November etc.

legend166

I agree they are in the current best position. But I wouldn't say the PS4 is selling incredibly well, it's beaten competitors but it is no PS2 or Wii, it only beats previous Sony consoles on 'sales LTD' graphs because they all had slower starts because their predecessors were still selling very well (whereas PS3 was long in the tooth because they stretched that generation out).

But it's dominating such a declining market I can't see history being too relevant to predict it from now on. Even with a big-push more powerful mid gen power bump (Pro), it seems unlikely to me the PS4 will make the 100 million club with PS1/PS2/Wii/DS, so this will be the first generation in 20 years no console has hit that, and the competitors crashed even harder. It could sell around PS3 levels if Scorpio and Switch take either end of the market decently.

That said it's still better than Microsoft who essentially have just one more doll of the dice with Scorpio, and Nintendo who have a huge recovery required with lots of work to do (but a good start obviously). Really the whole industry is on something of a minor precipice IMO.

I think the PS4 will get over 100 million. They're at 57 million shipped as of the end of 2016 and I think they'll be at least 75 million by the end of this year. I can see it topping out at around 110-120 million. I can't see a new generation starting until 2019, maaaybe even 2020.

D.Lo

I think the PS4 will get over 100 million. They're at 57 million shipped as of the end of 2016 and I think they'll be at least 75 million by the end of this year. I can see it topping out at around 110-120 million. I can't see a new generation starting until 2019, maaaybe even 2020.
According to Sony, 53.4 million globally as of January 1, 2017. So to get to 75, 21.6 million this year? Why would it sell better than last year (19.4) when it had the Pro boost and continuing Slim boosts (and price cuts) last year to hit that?

I think unless some new breakout hit game appears it has probably peaked. 15-18 for 2017, so 70ish by the end of the year. Not sure where from there but 100m is a pretty big task for them with Scorpio pressure and PC flying way ahead in hardware power. And the design will likely never get down to $99 as a cheapo robust kids console.

jonno394

According to Sony, 53.4 million globally as of January 1, 2017. So to get to 75, 21.6 million this year? Why would it sell better than last year (19.4) when it had the Pro boost and continuing Slim boosts (and price cuts) last year to hit that?

I think unless some new breakout hit game appears it has probably peaked. 15-18 for 2017, so 70ish by the end of the year. Not sure where from there but 100m is a pretty big task for them with Scorpio pressure and PC flying way ahead in hardware power. And the design will likely never get down to $99 as a cheapo robust kids console.

Yeah Scorpio could really start eating Sony's lunch if the reveal goes well, ps4 should really be down yoy when all is said and done.

legend166

The 53.4 is a sold number, 57 million is shipped.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Yeah Scorpio could really start eating Sony's lunch if the reveal goes well, ps4 should really be down yoy when all is said and done.
I don't think so guys, Sony won the traction they needed to keep winning for years. New comers want the same console than their friends. That's how PS2 kept selling better, no matter how more powerful Xbox was.

jonno394

I don't think so guys, Sony won the traction they needed to keep winning for years. New comers want the same conszthan their friends. That's how PS2 kept selling better, no matter how much more powerful Xbox was.

I'm not saying it'll outsell the ps4 or cause a sudden crash in ps4 sales, just that it'll likely do enough to add to the reasons why ps4 should be down YoY.

correojon

Those numbers are worldwide btw. Polygon are comparing USA figures for the Switch against ww for everything else. Idiots.

Just curious, has Polygon made these kind of "mistakes" when talking about the XBox1 or PS4? I´m trying to figure out if they´re just incompetent or if they´re doing it deliberatelly following an agenda.

marc^o^

I'm not saying it'll outsell the ps4 or cause a sudden crash in ps4 sales, just that it'll likely do enough to add to the reasons why ps4 should be down YoY.
I see, then yes both Scorpio and Switch will limit PS4's domination, to an extent.

Protome

Scorpio, like the PS4 Pro is a pretty niche device which doesn't have any mainstream appeal. If won't impact PS4 sales much.

random25

I don't think so guys, Sony won the traction they needed to keep winning for years. New comers want the same conszthan their friends. That's how PS2 kept selling better, no matter how much more powerful Xbox was.

Xbox was a new player back then. Now, it is a powerhouse brand on its own right in the West. Scorpio, if they played their cards right, can steal away potential PS4 buyers in the holidays. It will not totally beat PS4/Pro in total sales because it needs a lot of catching up to do, but it can be a tough competitor on a monthly basis from its launch going forward.

Mrbob

Scorpio is going to be way more expensive than ps4..and Xbox is only relevant in a few territories. I'm not seeing the path where Scorpio makes a big dent.

D.Lo

I don't think so guys, Sony won the traction they needed to keep winning for years. New comers want the same console than their friends. That's how PS2 kept selling better, no matter how more powerful Xbox was.
What newcomers though? I don't think PS4 will ever get small/cheap enough to be budget consoles.

In previously generations, the old consoles kept selling well into the next gen as budget machines. PS1 and PS2 sold a third (or maybe even more, don't have figures on me) of their totals after their successor was released. Many people grabbed a PS1 in 2002 for the kids or a PS2 in 2007, and they had new drivers like Spyro sequels, Tony Hawk 1/2/3 and Guitar Hero driving that.

Didn't happen with PS360, possibly because of the elongated generation which had already exhausted anyone interested, and without the PS1/2 level of 3rd parties Wii crashed and burned as soon as NIntendo moved on to focus on 3DS/WU. This is the market segment that gets you to 100 million. And I just don't see that budget section of the market existing anymore outside of maybe a bit of 3DS/2DS for kids. Those gamers moved on to DS/Wii and now probably iPhones, Steam or nothing. Switch is somewhat of a play for them too.

EDIT: PS4 has had four years as 'the obvious best machine on the market', but it loses that title from many angles soon. That said, thinking about it GTA6 could be the thing that gets it there

hey that's some professionnal journalism we have here. accurate and all!

We don't have concrete WW numbers but the US numbers are the fastest in Nintendo history and only second fastest to PS4. Its impressive no matter what straw you're grasping at.

samar11

NA? IT would slow ps4 down if its a big success, but WW? It won't do shit, that brand is dead WW.

marc^o^

NA? IT would slow ps4 down if its a big success, but WW? It won't do shit, that brand is dead WW.
As good as Scorpio will be, it's a niche product. MS strategy is the weakest now. I don't get their vision.

XBox One is now in 3rd place in terms of sales dynamics and it won't change anytime soon in coming years, at least I don't see how.

LordKano

As good as Scorpio will be, it's a niche product. MS strategy is the weakest now, I don't get their vision. XBox One is now in 3rd place and it won't change anytime soon in coming years.

MS is obviously trying to maximize their userbase's profits and capitalize on multiple services, like the incoming Xbox Pass, Xbox Live and EA Access, partially. It's a different strategy, who knows how it will pan out, but it's clear at this point that they aren't competiting to sell the most consoles.

We don't have concrete WW numbers but the US numbers are the fastest in Nintendo history and only second fastest to PS4. Its impressive no matter what straw you're grasping at.

umm, xbone launched at 500$ and only had about 8 days of tracking vs 28 days of switch, so i wouldn't say it's the second fastest. wii, and ps2 would have sold much faster as well, if they weren't so supply constrained , looking at these numbers all i see is a descent launch.

D.Lo

umm, xbone launched at 500$ and only had about 8 days of tracking vs 28 days of switch, so i wouldn't say it's the second fastest. wii, and ps2 would have sold much faster as well, if they weren't so supply constrained , looking at these numbers all i see is a descent launch.
Lol 'descent launch'.

Let's look at the excuses here:
  • Switch was too cheap (not $500 like Xbone)
  • PS2 and Wii were supply constrained (when clearly the Switch is not)
  • It's not fair mom! Switch had 28 days to sell (of course Xbox One sold basically the same at 908,000 in its first December in the US, 31 days, including fucking Christmas)
  • Month of sale does not matter, selling fast in March is just as easy as November or December
As good as Scorpio will be, it's a niche product. MS strategy is the weakest now. I don't get their vision.

XBox One is now in 3rd place in terms of sales dynamics and it won't change anytime soon in coming years, at least I don't see how.
I probably agree, but it at least puts an end to four years of Sony having the obvious most powerful console. All the free PR of 'game X is better on Sony' ends as soon as it launches, which surely dampens something.

marc^o^

I probably agree, but it at least puts an end to four years of Sony having the obvious most powerful console. All the free PR of 'game X is better on Sony' ends as soon as it launches, which surely dampens something.
Sure, but PS4 will remain the most powerful console the mass market can afford.

Maybe I underestimate the amount of Xbox owners who will upgrade to Scorpio?

D.Lo

Maybe I underestimate the amount of Xbox owners who will upgrade to Scorpio?
Well and the top end of the market who simply always want the best version. Apart from playing Sony exclusives, the rest of the sales pitch for the PS4 Pro dies immediately when Scorpio will now have the best version of all multiplatform games.

Lol 'descent launch'.

Let's look at the excuses here:
  • Switch was too cheap (not $500 like Xbone)
  • PS2 and Wii were supply constrained (when clearly the Switch is not)
  • It's not fair mom! Switch had 28 days to sell (of course Xbox One sold basically the same at 908,000 in its first December in the US, 31 days, including fucking Christmas)
  • Month of sale does not matter, selling fast in March is just as easy as November or December

console launches will always be supply constrained, even xbone and ps4 were in December, so it's really hard to tell anything from launches, but 28 days to reach 929,00 is not impressive, ps4 did 1 million in north america in 24 hours, xbox one 909,000 in it's first 8 days in npd, and it was 500$. i don't think the holidays play a big role as people think at launch because the consoles are almost always sold out.

LordKano

Well and the top end of the market who simply always want the best version. Apart from playing Sony exclusives, the rest of the sales pitch for the PS4 Pro dies immediately when Scorpio will now have the best version of all multiplatform games.

When Scorpio will release at 399$ (best case scenario), Pro will likely be even lower, at least 349$. I don't think the Scorpio will meet a big success in term of hardware sold but then, is it really Microsoft's objective ?

Nintendo really make a good choice to launch in early March instead of waiting for the holidays.

Spoit

I mean, the very top end? Sure. But the question is, how many people who already bought a Pro would double dip? (And of those, how many just don't have a PC that would blow both of them out of the water anyway)

And how does any of this relate to Nintendo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom