• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MARIO + RABBIDS: Kingdom Battle |OT| XCOM on mushrooms

Soul Lab

Game of the Year
c33d3fefdd8fd0a5f07293d58132ea26.png
when does he dab?

Have to wait until Thursday to pick this up, hope to see a load of screenshots from you guys until then though! More than happy to support someone managing to subvert expectations to the extent they have, especially when it's backed with gameplay and art direction befitting of the Mario name.

Not that that hasn't been diluted elsewhere but I feel the gap in expectation between leak and reveal is wider than any other Mario tie-in I can think of.

Neiteio

Spoiler Question:
Is it true there are only 4 worlds? They seem pretty lengthy, so I'm not too worried, but still curious.
Yep, and they seem pretty massive, each combining different archetypes.

World 1 - Ancient Gardens: Includes archetypes like grasslands, beach, jungle, etc
World 2 - Sherbet Desert: Includes archetypes like desert and snow
World 3 - Spooky Trails: Ghost archtype — graveyards, swamps, ghost towns, carnivals, etc
World 4 - Bowser's Castle: What you'd expect, although it looks like it also has industrial areas (i.e. clockwork)

Yeah. They are pretty damn long though.

Yep, and they seem pretty massive, each combining different archetypes.

World 1 - Ancient Gardens: Includes archetypes like grasslands, beach, jungle, etc
World 2 - Sherbet Desert: Includes archetypes like desert and snow
World 3 - Spooky Trails: Ghost archtype — graveyards, swamps, ghost towns, carnivals, etc
World 4 - Bowser's Castle: What you'd expect, although it looks like it also has industrial areas (i.e. clockwork)
Cool, thanks!

Raitaro

The creative director, Davide Soliani (the one who famously cried tears of joy when his idol Miyamoto honored him at the E3 presser), is a huge fan of XCOM and other tactics games. He had ideas for a tactics game featuring Mario and Rabbids, and this appealed to Miyamoto when he pitched it since Miyamoto's one rule was "Don't make a jump game." He wanted something Mario hasn't done before. So it was a perfect combination of factors. Soliani got to make a game with the brand that got him into videogames (Mario) as well as a game in one of his favorite genres (XCOM-style tactics), and with the creative liberties afforded by the Rabbids. Dream come true for the guy. :)

Thanks for this great answer / write-up! I had no idea that the lead guy was so much into XCOM specifically but it does explain a lot.

13ruce

Banned
I am on the fence tbh... Should i get it i am a huge Mario fan but i dislike Rabbids....

I like strategy gameplay but i dunno if i should get it.

Any people with doubts already played the game? I really wanna know if it would be worth it.

Dougald

I'm still on the fence with this one. Is there a difficulty setting that's anywhere near as soul-crushingly hard as XCOM?

deoee

Is the game out yet in russian e-shop?

Only costs 51€ there so I'd grab it from that store (I guess it's multilangual as every game?)

I need to know if "Mario Kart-tier" ancillary characters are in this game (i.e. DK, Wario, Waluigi).

I need to.

The first boss, shown in many videos and screens is
a DK Rabbid, with a remix of sorts of Jungle Hijinks for the boss music.

Also apparently near the end theres
Rabbid Wario and Rabbid Waluigi. Bwaario and Bwaaluigi if you will. No normal ones though

The game has very little in the way of non-rabbid content.

Glix

The first boss, shown in many videos and screens is
a DK Rabbid, with a remix of sorts of Jungle Hijinks for the boss music.

Also apparently near the end theres
Rabbid Wario and Rabbid Waluigi. Bwaario and Bwaaluigi if you will. No normal ones though

The game has very little in the way of non-rabbid content.

I disagree.

The world are filled with tons of mario easter eggs in the background.

What you meant was "The enemies have very little in the way of non-rabbid content"

I fully expect this to be like Splatoon 2 where the eShop falls to pieces at midnight.

And for those asking, most US cards do not work for foreign eShops.

Karkador

Banned
I disagree.

The world are filled with tons of mario easter eggs in the background.

What you meant was "The enemies have very little in the way of non-rabbid content"

Yeah. The whole game world IS the Mario world with the Rabbids crash-landing and warping things. From the opening cutscene it goes hard on the Nintendo fandom.

Majora

I am on the fence tbh... Should i get it i am a huge Mario fan but i dislike Rabbids....

I like strategy gameplay but i dunno if i should get it.

Any people with doubts already played the game? I really wanna know if it would be worth it.

I had never played a Rabbids game before this and was completely indifferent to them. Having now played about half of this I'm not sure I understand why they're so hated. Maybe they've been toned down for this particular game, I don't know, but they're just occasional slapstick relief. They certainly don't dominate proceedings or make the game feel worse. Certainly I think the two franchises feel more natural existing together in the same world than I could have imagined prior to playing it.

Kenai

No Switch yet but intend to get one before years end and I will pick this up same day. Glad impressions are good.

Top Bottom