• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts HD I.5+II.5 ReMIX |OT| Kingdom Hearts Final Port

Okay, I'm finally up to the true hard part: Data Organization XIII fights in critical. I took care of Lexaus after a couple tries. The fights aren't hard per say, but there's definitely a learning process.

Okay, I'm finally up to the true hard part: Data Organization XIII fights in critical. I took care of Lexaus after a couple tries. The fights aren't hard per say, but there's definitely a learning process.

Each fight will be it's own learning curve, but that's the best part about it all :) hope you're good at luxord's games though, those are nasty

don't be afraid to (a) get your stats up to the max effective ones (which is like 85 str/mag, 86 def, iirc) in order to maximize your room for error and DEFINITELY don't be afraid to approach them as RPG bosses rather than as action game bosses (that is to say, focusing less on your moment-to-moment reflexes and more on coming at them with the right equipment, the right spells, the right drive form or summon, the right ability setup). also, if you're finding yourself hitting a wall on any of them, strongly consider using items for healing and using your full-MP-bar move slot for a Limit instead.

Fauve

Adding on to oreomunsta, one thing that really helped with the fights on level 1 was decking Sora out in 3 ribbons, and a grand ribbon from the puzzle pieces if you haven't already. With them on, you're gonna be taking 50% less damage because their elemental resistance counts "physical" as an element, and will be able to afford a lot more mistakes. This was probably the one deciding factor in a lot of my wins as it was immediately noticeable the effect it had. I went from being one shot to lasting through a few more attacks.

Each fight will be it's own learning curve, but that's the best part about it all :) hope you're good at luxord's games though, those are nasty
The only one I fucked up was the last one and I wasn't paying close attention. I think I can get him.
don't be afraid to (a) get your stats up to the max effective ones (which is like 85 str/mag, 86 def, iirc) in order to maximize your room for error and DEFINITELY don't be afraid to approach them as RPG bosses rather than as action game bosses (that is to say, focusing less on your moment-to-moment reflexes and more on coming at them with the right equipment, the right spells, the right drive form or summon, the right ability setup). also, if you're finding yourself hitting a wall on any of them, strongly consider using items for healing and using your full-MP-bar move slot for a Limit instead.
That's a lot of grinding for materials. I'm still going to do it though because having the fight last for a shorter amount of time is what I need.
Adding on to oreomunsta, one thing that really helped with the fights on level 1 was decking Sora out in 3 ribbons, and a grand ribbon from the puzzle pieces if you haven't already. With them on, you're gonna be taking 50% less damage because their elemental resistance counts "physical" as an element, and will be able to afford a lot more mistakes. This was probably the one deciding factor in a lot of my wins as it was immediately noticeable the effect it had. I went from being one shot to lasting through a few more attacks.
Yeah I already have two ribbons thankfully.

The only one I fucked up was the last one and I wasn't paying close attention. I think I can get him.

That's a lot of grinding for materials. I'm still going to do it though because having the fight last for a shorter amount of time is what I need.

Yeah I already have two ribbons thankfully.

The massive amount of Lucky Lucky you can stack on your party in Critical Mode honestly makes grinding for materials pretty fast (outside of Dark Crystals, which will remain sort of annoying to get).

Bauer91

I've attempted to beat Data Organization XIII, on normal, but they kicked my ass. Level 99, drive forms maxed out (as they have to be, to even get there) and they still seem really hard. It's been a week and I'm not sure if I want to continue trying or move on.

I've attempted to beat Data Organization XIII, on normal, but they kicked my ass. Level 99, drive forms maxed out (as they have to be, to even get there) and they still seem really hard. It's been a week and I'm not sure if I want to continue trying or move on.

Kinda surprising you're having some trouble on normal, but are there specific ones that you have a hard time with? Maybe we could give you pointers. You can't really just rush them and hope for the best

The massive amount of Lucky Lucky you can stack on your party in Critical Mode honestly makes grinding for materials pretty fast (outside of Dark Crystals, which will remain sort of annoying to get).
I think I might farm Roxas for the magic boosts. I beat him earlier after a near perfect fight (His third phase is killer). I beat Roxas, Marluxia, and Lexaus so far at 69-70 strength/magic. I don't know if I should go out of my to grind. I can get Xalidin down to half health rather easily. I feel that memorizing the patterns will be better.
Just stick with it I say. When I first did this on PS3 in critical, I got my shit pushed in and gave up. This time around I'm going into the fights to learn them. They're just not fights you can button mash through. Look up strats as well so you can easily identify when phases are coming up.

Bauer91

I tried a bunch with no luck, only managed to defeat one member. Any tips on what order I should take them on and how to do it would be appreciated!

I cheesed my way through Lingering Will, defeating all of Data Organization XIII as well would be nice.

finally platinumed BBS, it took about 250 hours total. In retrospect I wish I had just played on critical to begin with and not split it between a 100% standard run, then critical speed run. I probably would have been fine doing it all on critical

I tried a bunch with no luck, only managed to defeat one member. Any tips on what order I should take them on and how to do it would be appreciated!

I cheesed my way through Lingering Will, defeating all of Data Organization XIII as well would be nice.

Think it might be easier if you let us know which you want to take on next :)

In general, though, you probably want Curaga, Reflega, and potions in your shortcuts. Keeping yourself healed is a mix of Curaga and your limit form. Your limit form's first limit, where Sora flies at the enemy repeatedly, is great for dealing damage and rebuilding HP.

I found Lexaeus, Zexion, Larxene, and Xigbar easier than the others. Axel, Xaldin, Xemnas, and Marluxia were among the most difficult for me

Think it might be easier if you let us know which you want to take on next :)

In general, though, you probably want Curaga, Reflega, and potions in your shortcuts. Keeping yourself healed is a mix of Curaga and your limit form. Your limit form's first limit, where Sora flies at the enemy repeatedly, is great for dealing damage and rebuilding HP.

I found Lexaeus, Zexion, Larxene, and Xigbar easier than the others. Axel, Xaldin, Xemnas, and Marluxia were among the most difficult for me
Heh, I got Marluxia on my second attempt. Xaldin's final phase is something.

Maaaannn, fuck the PS auto update :mad: made me lose four hours of progress I had on my Aqua playthrough that I put the PS4 to sleep on

Nice! That's already one of the tougher fights. Leave Xaldin for one of the last ones. He's frustrating until you learn when to... Well, Learn

Maaaannn, fuck the PS auto update :mad: made me lose four hours of progress I had on my Aqua playthrough that I put the PS4 to sleep on

Nice! That's already one of the tougher fights. Leave Xaldin for one of the last ones. He's frustrating until you learn when to... Well, Learn

Xaldin was the first one I did weirdly enough. Made me realize how tough the rest of the fights would be at the least. I honestly don't think he's that bad, he just takes way too long. I think that fight took me 10 minutes.

I also somehow managed to beat Larxene on my first try, and I have no idea how. I'm kind of scared to try it again.

I think I struggled the most against Vexen. I'm pretty bad at staying out of the data circle, and anti sora likes to rip my face off.

Xaldin was the first one I did weirdly enough. Made me realize how tough the rest of the fights would be at the least. I honestly don't think he's that bad, he just takes way too long. I think that fight took me 10 minutes.

I also somehow managed to beat Larxene on my first try, and I have no idea how. I'm kind of scared to try it again.

I think I struggled the most against Vexen. I'm pretty bad at staying out of the data circle, and anti sora likes to rip my face off.

Anti Sora can piss off. When he appears, you have to completely shift gears and focus only on it.

I beat Larxene really easily, too :) reflega destroys her

NullKaze

When he puts up his Aero shield in the last phase, double-jump + Magnet to knock him out of it. He may put up another shield, but magnet him again. That's the easiest way to get around his annoying teleporting Aero shield move.

Eventually, he'll go back to doing the Jump attacks which you can RC and Jump him back.

So I played KH2 on proud back in the day. I want to try critical on PS4 however, I also want to play all the extra content that final mix has. Will it be too hard to beat the extra bosses on critical?

I think I might farm Roxas for the magic boosts. I beat him earlier after a near perfect fight (His third phase is killer). I beat Roxas, Marluxia, and Lexaus so far at 69-70 strength/magic. I don't know if I should go out of my to grind. I can get Xalidin down to half health rather easily. I feel that memorizing the patterns will be better.

Grinding Marluxia to get the materials for a full complement of Full Bloom+ and Shadow Archive+ will be tremendously helpful for widening your window for error, for what it's worth. Stacked MP Rage + Limit Form + second chance/once more = being pretty much invincible until your form gauge runs out.

the way I beat the last boss in the final episode of BBS was kind of hilarious. I had seeker mine equipped because I didn't know it would just not lock on to the last boss. I had him down to his last health bar, and I used seeker mine by mistake, and the mines just sat there. I ran up to the boss, and he used the move where the guardian grabs you and then the boss pushes you back with a combo. He ended up pushing me straight into my seeker mines where he died by blowing himself up in the middle of a combo

the way I beat the last boss in the final episode of BBS was kind of hilarious. I had seeker mine equipped because I didn't know it would just not lock on to the last boss. I had him down to his last health bar, and I used seeker mine by mistake, and the mines just sat there. I ran up to the boss, and he used the move where the guardian grabs you and then the boss pushes you back with a combo. He ended up pushing me straight into my seeker mines where he died by blowing himself up in the middle of a combo

Seeker Mines *do* lock on to that boss as well as they do for any others, but they're underpowered in general against especially mobile enemies because after the first fraction of a second they're locked in a straight-line trajectory and that boss is always on the move. But yeah, using yourself as bait can solve the problem.

I had a fantastic run in the past hour; I defeated Xaldin, Luxord, Vexen, and Larxene! And I didn't go for the strength boosts either. Limit form really comes in so clutch with the healing while using strike raid. I think I'll actually be able to complete this trophy. I have 6 members left to beat: Xemnas, Axel, Xigbar, Saix, Zexion and Demyx. I'll attempt them over the weekend.

DFQudhIVwAA8pEM.jpg

I finally got my first Platinum in a KH game with Kingdom Hearts 2. It was a lot of fun but damn challenging. Wasn't the smartest move to 100% the game on Critical Mode but it sure feels good to have pulled it off.

Only things I wasn't a big fan of were getting 15000 points in the Hades Paradox Cup, and grabbing all the synthesis notes. I was cool with making 1 of everything but having to over-grind for materials I didn't really need was a bit of drag.

I finally got my first Platinum in a KH game with Kingdom Hearts 2. It was a lot of fun but damn challenging. Wasn't the smartest move to 100% the game on Critical Mode but it sure feels good to have pulled it off.

Only things I wasn't a big fan of were getting 15000 points in the Hades Paradox Cup, and grabbing all the synthesis notes. I was cool with making 1 of everything but having to over-grind for materials I didn't really need was a bit of drag.
How did you manage to get 15000?

How did you manage to get 15000?

I equipped the Aladdin keychain (gives more orbs for points) and spammed the Peter Pan summon. If you use Peter Pan's limit it gives you a ton of points 1000-1500 per round. Tried to do this on the Titan Paradox but came up short, for that one I exploit Stitch.

I equipped the Aladdin keychain (gives more orbs for points) and spammed the Peter Pan summon. If you use Peter Pan's limit it gives you a ton of points 1000-1500 per round. Tried to do this on the Titan Paradox but came up short, for that one I exploit Stitch.

Also, you can use Stitch for some near-infinite orb spamming. Equip the Aladdin keyblade, get to low health (when you have the flashing warning), and summon Stitch. He'll use his ukelele (don't use the limit for it), and b/c of the keyblade, there won't be health orbs dropping, so you can keep enemies stuck in the loop.

I might be forgetting an ability or two, but as long as you can prevent health drops, Stitch will get you the necessary orbs very early on

Also, you can use Stitch for some near-infinite orb spamming. Equip the Aladdin keyblade, get to low health (when you have the flashing warning), and summon Stitch. He'll use his ukelele (don't use the limit for it), and b/c of the keyblade, there won't be health orbs dropping, so you can keep enemies stuck in the loop.

I might be forgetting an ability or two, but as long as you can prevent health drops, Stitch will get you the necessary orbs very early on

Yeah I used the Stitch low-health strategy for the Titan Cup. Made it super easy. Preferred Peter Pan for the Hades Cup since you have more than enough rounds to get 15K with it.

Got my shiny KH2 plat today. Into BBS and to my horror a battle harder than any data battle or lingering will:

...the ice cream challenge mini-game!! I'm doing the last song on master and it's driving me crazy. lol I can't wait until this is done

Got my shiny KH2 plat today. Into BBS and to my horror a battle harder than any data battle or lingering will:

...the ice cream challenge mini-game!! I'm doing the last song on master and it's driving me crazy. lol I can't wait until this is done

to this day i still don't know why people have so much issue with Ice Cream Beat

like Fruitball is the worst minigame not Ice Cream Beat

Philippo

Just finished KHII and i found it to be a massive let down compared to 1.

The worlds got streamlined, smaller and boring, 1 out of 2 fights had some annoying gimmicks, and the plot... well the plot was so messy most of the times.
I'd the combat is the only improved aspect, and even there i think it felt more flashy than practical a few times.

Hope that BBS and especially 3 are closer to the original.

The worlds got streamlined, smaller and boring, 1 out of 2 fights had some annoying gimmicks, and the plot... well the plot was so messy most of the times.
I'd the combat is the only improved aspect, and even there i think it felt more flashy than practical a few times.

BBS, 1, and Chain of Memories probably have the best writing in the series.

I strongly encourage you to (sometime, doesn't have to be right now) try KH2 on Critical difficulty, though - the quality of the combat really shines there. I say this as someone who was DEEPLY disappointed with the original vanilla KH2 because of its lack of substance or challenge.

Agreed that the assorted 'keep everyone's morale high' story fights are pretty bad but are fairly nakedly an excuse to get you to play well without the crutch of getting any HP/MP/Drive orbs dropped by enemies.

Can't say I agree on the combat. KH2 blows KH1 combat out of the water.

Jawmuncher

Is there a trick to Chain of Memories? I'm about to drop it. Did Traverse Town, Agrabah, and am now fighting Hades on Olympia.

I understand the deck system for the most part. But it feels like card drops are random.
You can't buy cards or booster packs or anything? Grinding fights for cards doesn't sound very appealing.

Psxphile

Is there a trick to Chain of Memories? I'm about to drop it. Did Traverse Town, Agrabah, and am now fighting Hades on Olympia.

I understand the deck system for the most part. But it feels like card drops are random.
You can't buy cards or booster packs or anything? Grinding fights for cards doesn't sound very appealing.

It *is* random.
Booster packs are sold by moogles. Use the moogle card when making a room.
The only cards you get from mob fights are room cards (or Enemy cards, rarely).
You can "unlock" new deck cards from scripted battles and from using a Treasure Room card once (sometimes twice) on each floor, which is added to the random pool from then on.
On Floor 5 and beyond, you can get a Gold card as a drop sometimes that will allow you to open the Gold rooms on each floor which have better cards and even new sleights. You can only carry one card at any time, though.

The "trick" is to exploit the card system when you can.
Use sleights w/ a value higher than 9 because random mobs can't break them.
For bosses keep a few Kingdom Key 0 cards for the express purpose of breaking their combos. Place them in the deck where you can access them quickly.
Making a deck for randoms and one for fighting bosses is a good idea, you'll flip between them often.

Jawmuncher

It *is* random.
Booster packs are sold by moogles. Use the moogle card when making a room.
The only cards you get from mob fights are room cards (or Enemy cards, rarely).
You can "unlock" new deck cards from scripted battles and from using a Treasure Room card once (sometimes twice) on each floor, which is added to the random pool from then on.
On Floor 5 and beyond, you can get a Gold card as a drop sometimes that will allow you to open the Gold rooms on each floor which have better cards and even new sleights. You can only carry one card at any time, though.

I'll try a little more with these tips and see if it clicks. Thanks.

to this day i still don't know why people have so much issue with Ice Cream Beat

like Fruitball is the worst minigame not Ice Cream Beat
Fruitball is the worst mini game in the series. For me, it's nothing but spamming triangle hoping for something to fly into the net as opposed to being shot right at the opposition. And why the hell did they decide it should last 3 minutes each round? That was waaaay too long :/

Jawmuncher

Ok giving KH 1.5 more of a chance. Finally got a moogle shop. Gotta say, not a fan of how the game so quickly jumps to needing high cards. In wonderland right now and so many cards were basically made null until I finally got to a moogle shop (Went through 3 worlds without doing so).

If moogle shops were at every floor before you enter or combined with the save rooms you can make it'd have been so much better.

Just finished Terra's story in BBS...I think I might be turning into a KH fanatic. I love these games. The story is so ridiculous but I'm so engrossed in it lol

Mikey Jr.

1. Restart the game and start on easy.

2. When you level up focus on HP and CP and a few sleights. I forget the slight, but there is one where you just fly across the whole room, hitting everyone. As soon as you get that one, dont bother anymore. The rest require summons/magic and other garbage like that.

3. Stack your entire deck with high level keyblade cards. I'm talking level 0, 7,8, 9. Forget summon/magic cards/anything else thats a gimmick.

4. At the start of battle, put down the enemy Jafar card.

5. Mash your way to freedom.

With this set up, it'll be hard for enemies to ever interrupt you. Just keeping pumping it into cp and hp. I would rather have few cards then lots of cards that are low.

Remember, every time you use the triangle option, where you stack 3 cards, you lose one of those cards. So for most of the regular enemies, you can just mash your regular cards, and just reload when you run out, and keep going. Having high level like this plus Jafar makes it hard for them to block you.

COM is a fucking SLOG. I was on the verge of quitting it probably half a dozen times.

How necessary is 358/2 Days? Going through a (presumably bad) 3~ hrs KH movie seems like a chore.

I'd say read a summary if you're not that interested.

It basically gives context to the year Roxas is active while Sora is recovering from Chain of Memories. Drops some minor hints/set up for Birth by Sleep and introduces Xion who will return in KH3 probably.

The recoded and 358 movies aren't even movies. They're a collection of cutscenes of all the major moments of the game with the gameplay being summarized in text boxes. It doesn't flow very well and in 358's case there's basically only one fight scene of note.

The movie in KH2.8 is the only one I'd recommend people watch. It looks nice, and is only about an hour long. While it doesn't have a very satisfying conclusion it didn't bore me to death and had a couple good laughs.

Philippo

It basically gives context to the year Roxas is active while Sora is recovering from Chain of Memories. Drops some minor hints/set up for Birth by Sleep and introduces Xion who will return in KH3 probably.

The recoded and 358 movies aren't even movies. They're a collection of cutscenes of all the major moments of the game with the gameplay being summarized in text boxes. It doesn't flow very well and in 358's case there's basically only one fight scene of note.

The movie in KH2.8 is the only one I'd recommend people watch. It looks nice, and is only about an hour long. While it doesn't have a very satisfying conclusion it didn't bore me to death and had a couple good laughs.

Thanks, 358 really sounds like a snooze fest.

Famassu

They did create hundreds of new scenes, they are a bit more movie like than just straight rips of the OG games' cutscenes would've been.

Days isn't necessary, so unless you enjoy Roxas & Axel, skip it. Xion's story has its moments (though it's fairly similar to what Roxas goes through in KHII) but overall there's just way too much sea salt ice cream & pointless banter.

Philippo

They did create hundreds of new scenes, they are a bit more movie like than just straight rips of the OG games' cutscenes would've been.

Days isn't necessary, so unless you enjoy Roxas & Axel, skip it. Xion's story has its moments (though it's fairly similar to what Roxas goes through in KHII) but overall there's just way too much sea salt ice cream & pointless banter.

200.gif

The problem is that it doesn't really flow well. They don't really make an effort to make it like a movie and it just feels like 3 hours of cutscenes from a video game. X Back Cover also feels like this when them cutting to "The Case of X" for the various characters but it at least follows the narrative and it doesn't feel like it's wasting time with filler.

I would have loved a 90 minute version of Coded/Days movies where they didn't follow the structure of the games to a T and focused on telling the game's story in an interesting way. Days is pretty bad as a movie and Coded is basically unbearable.

This isn't to say that they didn't do a good job recreating these scenes though. It's a lot of work but I feel like it would have been better served delivering a tighter more exciting movie for the collections.

Top Bottom