• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gearbox Artist trashes Dragon’s Crown art style

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Don't think this is posted yet

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/for...y-Thought-Out-Responses-Oh-My?page=2#16933680

Gearbox's environmental artist Shaylyn Hamm posted the following on a forum in regards to Dragon's crown

I wanted to come in here and say something, but then you said basically what I wanted to say but way better. I want to see more women getting interested in games and game development, but stuff like this only serves to further cement the idea that you're stepping into a male hobby rather than something that is more inclusive.

Also, this is the first time I've seen that character and holy shit, ahahahahahaha. That's actually something that made its way into a basically finished video game, fucking lol! Some juvenile delinquent kid in my 5th grade class used to draw girls that looked like that (only without the creepy blank, featureless samefaces and wizard hats), and I think he was actually better at it. I also think he's in jail now. This is amazing.

AlucardGV

Banned
oh man.

, but stuff like this only serves to further cement the idea that you're stepping into a male hobby rather than something that is more inclusive.
he's talking about duke nukem, right?

Ghazi

Didn't they basically steal the Borderlands series art style from some online animated video/movie thing?

Aren't they the devs who had a character who was basically called out for having "verbal black face" or something like that? So much for having any credibility.

sublimit

Banned
Some juvenile delinquent kid in my 5th grade class used to draw girls that looked like that (only without the creepy blank, featureless samefaces and wizard hats), and I think he was actually better at it.

watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png

SGRemy

Hey gearbox knows what they're talking about. I loved the art style in duke nukem forever. Way better than this trash. Borderlands art style was also great. Look at mad moxxi. She is a great representation of women in videogames. Very reserved.

pfft yea right

LiK

Way to show how mature you are by piling on. Last time I checked, Borderlands 2 had a lady with GIGANTIC boobs.

Edit: Observation posted by other fine folks here.

Agreed. Even though I like Borderlands, all of its humor is sophomoric and their character designs are just as outlandish as Dragon's Crown (but not as well illustrated i.e. looking at the concept art for Borderlands versus the concept art for Vanillaware games).

i-Lo

It's surprising that despite the existence of other games prior to this where the same artist has contributed with similar female design, this one is getting all the heat. I guess everyone wants a piece of the action while it's hot and under the spotlight.

Gearbox has a much better view on "women" ..

sandbox_Ellie_Concept_555x286.png

That's an unfair criticism since it's a depiction of obese woman (something that's barely done in other games).

codhand

I for one am glad conversations about things such as ludo narrative dissonance and waifu boob design philosophy, are coming to the media forefront, before the new gen starts.

During the PS2 era, I played all those games. During the current generation, I played the remade versions of all those games. I want new ideas for games.

Top Bottom