• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Palmer Luckey announces that he has a new company

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Over at the HTC vive panel yesterday at TGS he said that he has a new company and has several VR projects that he cant announced yet
https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-fou...17-still-working-vr-industry-exciting-things/

Luckey’s appearance on the HTC Vive stage during TGS 2017 was a panel discussion that touched on a variety of topics surrounding the Japanese VR scene and beyond.

I have a new company, I can’t talk about my projects too much yet, but I’m still working in the virtual reality industry on some very exciting things.”

Don’t think of me as an Oculus person. Just think of me as a VR person. Everything. Sony, HTC, other companies. Everything.

[…] I have a lot of respect for that, I think it means a lot that HTC is looking at all markets, not just Western markets, not just China, not just Taiwan, not just Japan, not just the US, not just Europe… they really are looking at all the difference markets, and actually spending money to put their money where their mouth is… I don’t know if that idiom comes across in Japanese.
[…]
There are a lot of companies that say they care about the whole world and the global market, but just look at where they’d spending the money, look at where they’re actually putting their marketing dollars. You can tell who they actually care about and who they don’t care about that way.
[…]
I’ve always been pretty supportive of all VR companies. [For instance] right when Sony announced PlayStation VR, I did the same thing—I was so excited to see other companies really entering the marketplace and seriously investing in it, and funding developers, funding awareness, getting hardware out there. I think HTC is doing the same thing, so of course I’m going to say good things about HTC. It’s no special preference for HTC, it’s a preference for the way that they’re doing business right now.

palmer-luckey-2-1-681x383.jpg

Gator86

Eat shit, Luckey. I hope consumer pressure and social media efforts keep other groups from working with him.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Eat shit, Luckey. I hope consumer pressure and social media efforts keep other groups from working with him.
On the one hand, most developers lean very left.

On the other hand, many VR developers work in VR because they desperately need VC money to keep existing, and VR/AR is where all the VC money is at the moment.

I suspect he'll sign a lot of developers in need, even if they try not to mention they're being funded by him.

On the other hand, many VR developers work in VR because they desperately need VC money to keep existing, and VR/AR is where all the VC money is at the moment.

I suspect he'll sign a lot of developers in need, even if they try not to mention they're being funded by him.
Yikes that must be tough.

RRockman

Banned
He didn't just fall up, he freakin fell into a ten outta ten landing! Why is it so easy for crappy people to succeed?!?!?

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
I know everyone here hates him and wants him to crawl in a hole somewhere but if you read the article, this is some serious shit:

Back in a May interview Luckey offer a hint into what his next project might entail; he spoke of his interest in the anime Sword Art Online, in which characters become trapped in a VR MMORPG—if they die in the game, they die in real life. Luckey said that he liked the idea of VR having significant consequences.

“This concept of [significant consequences] is part of one of the projects I am working on. But I won’t talk about any details,” he said, and added that it was still “very early” for the project.

I really hope he(and anyone else) don't actually go through with this.

I know everyone here hates him and wants him to crawl in a hole somewhere but if you read the article, this is some serious shit:

I really hope he and no one else actually go through with this.
Palmer Luckey is not going to organize a mass culling of people playing his game.

Unless they're all minorities.

L Thammy

I really hope he and no one else actually go through with this.

I wonder how anti-immigrant white supremacist might use this technology.

RRockman

Banned

So Dot Hack is prophecy now huh? Hackers are going to hack his "serious consequences" and make things a living nightmare? How stupid could Palmer be? Not everything has to be imitated from games!

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
So Dot Hack is prophecy now huh? Hackers are going to hack his "serious consequences" and make things a living nightmare? How stupid can you be?

What's with the personal insult? I just don't want him taking interest in any technology that can cause serious intended harm to people. It doesn't matter how unrealistic it may appear in today's landscape, I don't want anyone to take interest in something like that period.

Yukinari

Ah so he wants the Fairly Oddparents episode to be real.

SeanTSC

Personal politics aside, I can appreciate his intelligence and what he has done for the VR industry. I hope that he can continue to jumpstart new industries in tech.

Yes, you should totally brush aside someone being a white nationalist and hope they succeed and put more money into more white nationalist things.

What the fuck?

Gator86

Wouldn't surprise me. If you're facing extreme financial realities, people will overlook a lot and engage with a Luckey-type.

You kind of expect questions about him to fly toward everyone in the VR space for a while though if he becomes a major player again.

If he makes a good tech, then I don't care who he is and what he does. I'm not going to let the prick stop my enjoyment and adoption of techology that makes people happy.

RRockman

Banned
What's with the personal insult? I just don't want him taking interest in any technology that can cause serious intended harm to people. It doesn't matter how unrealistic it may appear in today's landscape, I don't want anyone to take interest in something like that period.

Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry, I meant Palmer was stupid, not you! I'll edit my post post haste. I hope you can forgive me :{

SeanTSC

If he makes a good tech, then I don't care who he is and what he does. I'm not going to let the prick stop my enjoyment and adoption of techology that makes people happy.

If you don't care that someone uses their money on funding white supremacist groups then that says a lot about you.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Why do people still care about this guy? Beyond being an enthusiast whose Kickstarter blew up, what about him is so special that he's still seen by many as this luminary of the VR world when there are so many companies, both hardware and software, big and small, now that are out there and doing tons of interesting stuff with VR/AR, oftentimes better the Oculus Rift.

I know he's got stupid money now so he can do a whole lot with it, but beyond startups that are desperate for funding, why are any of these big companies out there even interested in him? Just because of his celebrity?

Alucrid

Banned
Why do people still care about this guy? Beyond being an enthusiast whose Kickstarter blew up, what about him is so special that he's still seen by many as this luminary of the VR world when there are so many companies, both hardware and software, big and small, now that are out there and doing tons of interesting stuff with VR/AR, oftentimes better the Oculus Rift.

I know he's got stupid money now so he can do a whole lot with it, but beyond startups that are desperate for funding, why are any of these big companies out there even interested in him? Just because of his celebrity?

$

Top Bottom