• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Xbox One X Killer Instinct delivers the first 4K console fighting ga

Cast your mind back to Xbox One's launch in 2013 and a few big games stand out, with Killer Instinct one of them. As Microsoft's flagship fighting game, it offered a long overdue revival of Rare's classic franchise, enhanced with the latest 3D console technology. Every impact forced an explosion of alpha and lit particle effects - an obvious upgrade on Xbox One over what was ever possible on Xbox 360 - and it all ran at 60 frames per second. It was a sample of what the machine could bring to the table graphically this generation. But there was a downside: Killer Instinct - at launch - ran at just 720p on Xbox One.

Overall, the developers set out to achieve a particular task with the Xbox One X version of Killer Instinct - to take a 900p game and run it at native 4K, and that's exactly what has been delivered. It's a straightforward patch, tying in to the original promise of the console with that 4K resolution and texture filtering boost. The performance dips - such as they are - do not impact gameplay, but we would still like to see them ironed out before release. And at that point, this 4K upgrade gives us a good reason to revisit the game years after it first hit store shelves. With the Season Three expansion, Killer Instinct's character roster is now overflowing with options, where originally the game lacked diversity - and Xbox One X support offers a great excuse to take another look at the game.

Is it the best looking fighter on console then? Certainly by the numbers, it hands in the cleanest image quality possible for an ultra HD display - it's unmatched. And given the wide use of 1440p for fighters on PS4 Pro, it'll be fascinating to see what Injustice 2 runs at on Microsoft's machine, not to mention Tekken 7, which tops out at 1080p on Sony's supercharged console. For now though, Killer Instinct is a great demo for the Xbox One X's launch. As a fighter there may be more cinematic, technically advanced games on the market, but if you're looking to scratch that 4K itch, this is a great option.

There's lots more at the links below

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...ler-instinct-on-xbox-one-x-is-native-4k-60fps

[4K] Killer Instinct Xbox One X vs PC vs Xbox One Graphics Comparison + Frame-Rate Test

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Gf9zM0U1rNY

Probably just some sort of visual bug or missing material property, but the PC footage had the planar reflections on the water on Tusk's stage, where xb1x did not.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I'm pumped for Injustice 2 patch, then. It's the only fighting game with characters that catch my interest, because I'm not into fighters.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I’m pretty excited to see just how good this will look on my 4K set, nice to see they got a locked 60fps @ native 4K.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Good video. XBX updates are continuing to look pretty good.

but it's still Killer Instinct.

Koobion

Pretty impressive! Really curious how it will manage Injustice. The numbers don't really add up for 4K, but we'll see.

During special moves there can be dips to 50-55 fps, however outside of this the performance appears to be very solid. I do wonder if anything can be done about the dips below 60 fps though?

This is very nice and will be a big upgrade for Xbox One players of Killer Instinct.

Digital Foundry also showcase the game running on an i5 6600K and RX 580 which is able to run the game at a locked 4k 60 fps without any dips during special moves. This is a 6.175 TF GPU at it's stock clocks, I wonder what clock speed the model they tested was running at?

Pretty impressive! Really curious how it will manage Injustice. The numbers don't really add up for 4K, but we'll see.
Yeah, supposedly the numbers don't add up for KI as well, however, they pulled it off, it will be pretty impressive if they manage something close with these other games.

During special moves there can be dips to 50-55 fps, however outside of this the performance appears to be solid. This is very nice and will be a big upgrade for Xbox One players of Killer Instinct.

Digital Foundry also showcase the game running on an i5 6600K and RX 580 which is able to run the game at a locked 4k 60 fps without any dips during special moves. This is a 6.174 TF GPU at it's stock clocks, I wonder what clock speed the model they tested was running at?
It's weird because KI should hammer the memory system harder than the processing power, and in that aspect xbonex actually has a larger footprint than a RX 580 (Even the real world performance xbonex gpu achieved while sharing it with the CPU is higher than the 256GB/s available to the 580), specially since the drops occur with alpha heavy special attacks...

But anyway, the game is still in development, perhaps they can iron the drops out by release.

RdN

Killer Instinct is such a gem in Xbox's library of games.. I feel that it's completely overlooked by most.

On topic, from 720p on launch to 4K. Not bad!

Head.spawn

Any word on a Season 4?

Glad to see they are trying to cover as much first party as possible. Hopefully Sunset Overdrive is in the plans.

Between this game and Dragonball FighterZ I'll be more than happy. Hopefully DBZ hits 4k as well.

scently

Yeah, supposedly the numbers don't add up for KI as well, however, they pulled it off, it will be pretty impressive if they manage something close with these other games.

It's weird because KI should hammer the memory system harder than the processing power, and in that aspect xbonex actually has a larger footprint than a RX 580 (Even the real world performance xbonex gpu achieved while sharing it with the CPU is higher than the 256GB/s available to the 580), specially since the drops occur with alpha heavy special attacks...

But anyway, the game is still in development, perhaps they can iron the drops out by release.

Also, the XDK might not be final yet. This is a new console afterall.

Any word on a Season 4?
Unlikely tbh.

The game is now being released on Steam which to a lot of people is the indication that the game is finally going to be "done".

What that means for the future of the KI franchise is still up in the air. The series certainly deserves more love though, this game is incredibly fantastic and the community around the game is a very passionate, close knit and helpful one.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Can't keep 60fps at all times? Definitely should be using dynamic res for those few moments.
They said 99% of the time it’s a solid 60, the rare drops are only during ‘non-input’ moments. And also they are still working on it..

jett

D-Member
They said 99% of the time it’s a solid 60, the rare drops are only during ‘non-input’ moments. And also they are still working on it..

Not quite true, one time in the video it happened as they were inputting multiple moves.

Atolm

I guess that Revelator could be patched and I expect Fighter Z to be 4k, on PC it doesn't take much to run Revelator at 4k.

Night.Ninja

Banned
Can't wait Day 0

4K killer instinct! Praise the Gods
IMG_0806.png

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Youtube truly struggles with all that fast moving stuff, the compression completely kills the video.
Yup. Even downloaded the "original" 4K file & the compression hinders the side by side comparison as well. Youtube needs to step up their game.

Bad comments aren't worth reading in a gaming forum.

He is not fully wrong, though. I expect that those moments with slight drops will iron out by release, but for a game so relying on perfect frame pacing, any drop might be an issue. Not for the "casual" player (like me), but most certainly for more "professional" players.

But don't get me wrong, fantastic improvement overall.

did you watch the video ?

yes I did, seems like too many effects causes slowdown.

Bad comments aren't worth reading in a gaming forum.

No it's a fair response to how I feel about a 60fps fighting game where frame perfect moves and inputs are important, the game seems to dislike the shadow trails from ex moves and if the drop in frames hurts a follow up move then it's bad.

But of course Microsoft want a 4k game so they will allow it just to say that the game is true 4k.

thelastword

Banned
I'm pretty excited to see just how good this will look on my 4K set, nice to see they got a locked 60fps @ native 4K.
There was never a doubt that K.I would be 4k, people have been playing K.I at 4k on 1060's and 480's, even 970's can manage 4k quite fine on this title.

Still this is not a locked 60fps it drops to 50fps and mid 50's quite a bit in that video.

Killer Instinct is such a gem in Xbox's library of games.. I feel that it's completely overlooked by most.

On topic, from 720p on launch to 4K. Not bad!
720p at launch? Yes, but the XB1 was even weaker at launch....it was upgraded after MS gave more resources to developers...so 900p to 4k is possible on such a title as everything is not at max......As you can see, it still drops frames even then....I can tell you 900p to 4k won't be possible on Injustice 2 on XBONEX, not if you want even worse drops than what you're seeing here.

make it 8k and it'll still be the ugliest fighting game this gen
It's crazy that they compare this game to Injustice 2, Tekken 7 and KOF 14 and all these games look much better than K.I.....There's a reason why K.I is 4k on XBONEX and none of these games will be...

Also, didn't K.I on XB1 have reduced particle effects compared to PC. I'm not sure the XB1 was a perfect match with PC at max...

Duderino

yes I did, seems like too many effects causes slowdown.

Alpha effects, overdraw, and post effects will be the biggest optimization challenges with getting games to run uncompromised at 4k on the one X. By extension fur as well.

I'm not surprised in the least that killer instinct has some dips, but all things considered it's actually not bad. Don't know how much optimization work has gone into the tittle already, but if the One X hardware can get alpha heavy games like this 90% of the way there, then perhaps developer ingenuity can make up that last 10%.

jett

D-Member
It's crazy that they compare this game to Injustice 2, Tekken 7 and KOF 14 and all these games look much better than K.I.....There's a reason why K.I is 4k on XBONEX and none of these games will be...

I think it was a bit ridiculous when they seemingly attempted to make the argument that simply being 4K made KI the best looking fighter out there.

I love the visual style of KI2013 so a 4k option is great, but regardless some of the game is showing it's age, even with the season 3 lighting update.

Phil, please, give me KI 2
4?

Alternatively, I will accept a KI/MK crossover game.

JaffeLion

Banned
There was never a doubt that K.I would be 4k, people have been playing K.I at 4k on 1060's and 480's, even 970's can manage 4k quite fine on this title.

Still this is not a locked 60fps it drops to 50fps and mid 50's quite a bit in that video.

720p at launch? Yes, but the XB1 was even weaker at launch....it was upgraded after MS gave more resources to developers...so 900p to 4k is possible on such a title as everything is not at max......As you can see, it still drops frames even then....I can tell you 900p to 4k won't be possible on Injustice 2 on XBONEX, not if you want even worse drops than what you're seeing here.

Also, didn't K.I on XB1 have reduced particle effects compared to PC. I'm not sure the XB1 was a perfect match with PC at max...

haha wtf relax dude, its just a game...not your life. does it hurt you personally or what?

also how do you know that tekken 7, kof 14 will not be 4k?

Hexer06

The game that keeps on giving! One of the few fighting games I actually like to play. Hope they're doing another season or full on sequel. :D

Top Bottom