• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Sports UFC releasing June 17th, Bruce Lee as pre-order bonus

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Awesome news. Just today I was wishing EA would announce a set date. The cover art sucks ass though. Why didn't they continue the new design like they have done with this?

ufcg4cv2xb1pftfront.jpg

Cover looks like it's a fitness game.

Also God Damned Bruce Lee!

I knew I was gonna buy this to get my Fight Night fix but now i'm gonna buy this even harder!

Quick

Banned
I'm not a big fan of UFC (barely watch it), but this game looks pretty impressive.

The Bruce Lee DLC might just get me to pre-order.

Busted out my copy of the Tao of Jeet Kune Do because I remembered Lee charting out some submissions, but I forgot how goofy some of them would look in a UFC fight.

I see: Half-Crab,Boston crab, Drop Toe Hold, Camel Clutch, Some amalgamtion of the camel clutch and a surf board. He had some practical stuff in there as well like guillotines, bulldog chokes, simple leg locks, arm bars, etc.

If Bruce Lee has a Boston Crab in this game I will mark out.

cover sucks.

bruce lee is cool...but as a pre-order bonus sucks. I remember the days when such things were special and awesome unlocks or rewards within the game itself.

now that we have a release date can we got some uncut gameplay footage?

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
Maybe its just me but the character models don't look all THAT great to me. They remind me of the Fight Night Champion models with a higher poly count, but i'm also getting vibes of the same lighting and muscle flex physics too. I'll keep a cautious wait-and-see approach.

Here's hoping they DO come around and make another Fight Night, though.

Fusebox

Banned
cover sucks.

bruce lee is cool...but as a pre-order bonus sucks. I remember the days when such things were special and awesome unlocks or rewards within the game itself.

I never preorder games anymore so I guess I miss out on Bruce Lee - thx, greedy fucking publishers.

Kinda' like asking how Wilt Chamberlain would do in today's NBA.

If we're putting Wilt in a time machine and bringing him to 2014 as he was in 1960, he would probably struggle a bit.

If we instead pretend that Wilt was born in 1990 and had access to modern sports science and nutrition and grew up being groomed for today's NBA- he'd be an absolute beast.

I think the same is true of Bruce Lee. Had he grown up in a world where MMA was the big thing for a martial artist to do, he'd be terrorizing everyone from lightweight on down. Terrorizing them.

Bruce Lee was an actor with no verified accomplishments, no fighting record, and the small video footage of him working out shows a dedicated but unremarkable part time martial artist and fitness fanatic. Wilt he was not.

Wilt Chamberlain crushed his then current rivals and dominated the league like no other player has.

Also, by the mid 1960's Chamberlain was legit 7'1 and 280-290lbs. . As an old man he made a young near prime Shaq look average standing side by side with him. Wilt had a vertical of somewhere around 36-40 inches, was incredibly strong and tireless in his stamina, had a long jump of 23 feet and in his slacks and socks got hand timed in a 40 yard dash at 4.6 seconds. In his 40's he held his own with NBA and top college players in pick up games (including shutting down Magic Johnson and blocking all his shots, and dunking on the 7'4 Mark Eaton when Wilt was 47-48 years old)

Wilt would do just fine today. Really he'd laugh at the centers of today. Jerry West, a guy who knows a few things about basketball, said it would be embarrassing for modern guys to try and play with Wilt.

Busted out my copy of the Tao of Jeet Kune Do because I remembered Lee charting out some submissions, but I forgot how goofy some of them would look in a UFC fight.

I see: Half-Crab,Boston crab, Drop Toe Hold, Camel Clutch, Some amalgamtion of the camel clutch and a surf board. He had some practical stuff in there as well like guillotines, bulldog chokes, simple leg locks, arm bars, etc.

If Bruce Lee has a Boston Crab in this game I will mark out.

breh, half boston crab is legit as fuck:

r29.gif

ron_bato

Terrible cover art, but i'm still getting the game day one. And Bruce Lee as a pre order bonus? That is amazing lol.

lol the cover art reminds me of a damn workout instructional dvd. The stage was set for an awesome box art with their fight being a classic and this is what we get? Pretty lame.

Anyway, Glad that we now have a release date set. Really excited to pick this up. I have faith in the Fight Night team!

But I bet Bruce is stuck in the flyweight division where he can only fight Mighty Mouse and John Lineker.

hopefully there's cheat so you can fight anyone with anyone

who am i kidding its EA...microtransactions ho!

==============

will brock lesnar be in the game? in fact, is there anywhere to get the full roster?

JayEH

I forgot that EA was making an UFC. Not a fan of MMA but I'm always impressed on the presentation of these games.

demolitio

Consider me cautiously optimistic. It all comes down to controls since that makes or breaks a UFC game and while the game looks amazing, I demand that it plays amazing too.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Meh there's a few fighters in the UFC that have next to no ground game and are really good at just avoiding takedowns. Melvin Guillard is one that comes to mind.

melvin guillard has a wrestling background

bruce lee never competed in any real capacity in anything

baconcow

Are the pre-order fighters (outside of Bruce Lee) limited to where you pre-order, or will they be DLC? Not sure if this was ever mentioned, but the pre-order fighters seem important.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Wait has there even been any previews of this yet? How does it play?

Great question friend. They've done nothing but talk about their character models. I would love to see something about gameplay BEFORE they try to get my pre-order dollars but I guess that's too much to ask.

Coolade

Are the pre-order fighters (outside of Bruce Lee) limited to where you pre-order, or will they be DLC? Not sure if this was ever mentioned, but the pre-order fighters seem important.

No other DLC fighters have been announced for the game yet.

Great question friend. They've done nothing but talk about their character models. I would love to see something about gameplay BEFORE they try to get my pre-order dollars but I guess that's too much to ask.

Gameplay would be nice, devs are forced to follow the marketing plan. Nothing they can do about it. Another developer diary video should be released this or next week. The game is still over 60+ days away. As it gets closer i'd expect some more information.

In case you missed the first two videos
Next-Gen Fighters
Feel The Fight

I gotta ask since I never play or watch UFC stuff - is most of the fighting just wrestling on the ground and putting people in holds?

That kinda turns me off.

demolitio

I gotta ask since I never play or watch UFC stuff - is most of the fighting just wrestling on the ground and putting people in holds?

That kinda turns me off.

Depends on the fighter and their training. There's plenty of matches that are just stand-up brawls until one fighter gets caught too many times while others are tactical battles on the ground. You have matches where one fighter is weaker at the ground game than the other so he'll try to keep the fight standing and defending the takedowns while the other guy decides on what he wants to do. Then there's the more boring fighters that will win a round and then just to try to hold the guy off for the rest of the fight. The fighters tend to do a lot less when they're gassed as well of course. It's actually very tactical and really depends on each fighter and their strengths and weaknesses. In terms of UFC GAMES, I think it's more stand-up than anything so far simply due to the submission system in UFC Undisputed. Whether or not EA UFC is better on the ground than Undisputed? That's the real question and that's why many of us won't get excited until we actually see some real gameplay and previews regardless of graphics because that's what makes a UFC game.

In terms of the last UFC game, it was extremely exciting regardless of real life, especially since I could pick a brawler and try to keep the fight standing up while the other guy can choose to brawl or take me down where it comes down to my defense.

So really it comes down to the gameplay in this one, especially how they handle the ground game. It's normally more exciting than a real fight though because the players are obviously going to go for the big finishes.

ron_bato

That kinda turns me off.

It's mixed martial arts, the superior fighter dictates where the fight takes place. Good wrestler/grappler-strikers can dictate whether they keep the fight standing or whether they decide to take it to the ground.

Good strikers with horrible takedown defense will get taken down unless they can stop the other fighter from taking them down. All fights play out differently, it all depends on each fighters' skill sets as to where the majority of the fight ends up.

That said, if you're not a fan of the ground game, this might not be the game for you. You'll need to invest heavily on learning the ground game in the UFC games, otherwise, guys will know where to take you and dominate you from there.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
http://www.easports.com/ufc/bruce-lee

E9DWn8g.jpg

uOvSdoX.jpg

B0Rjf7S.jpg

We are incredibly honored to have the opportunity to include Bruce Lee on our roster of in-game fighters. With a fan base that spans the globe, we get that everybody wants to be Bruce Lee – and in EA SPORTS UFC, we made sure that everybody can.

You can unlock Bruce in two different ways:

Beat Career Mode

Fire up your copy of EA SPORTS UFC and start fighting! Finishing EA SPORTS UFC’s career mode on pro difficultly or higher will unlock the martial arts legend for play in the Flyweight, Bantamweight, Featherweight and Lightweight divisions.

Pre-Order

Can’t wait that long to step into Bruce’s shoes? We don’t blame you. Pre-order your copy of EA SPORTS UFC today and get Day-One access to Bruce Lee. Check below for a list of retailers by region where you can pre-order your copy now.

Ivieto

Banned
cover sucks.

I never preorder games anymore so I guess I miss out on Bruce Lee - thx, greedy fucking publishers.

You could read the press release and see that bruce lee is actually unlocked by beating the gaming on PRO. With a pre-order he is unlocked from the beginning.

Top Bottom