• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon looking to build a second HQ in North America, will add 50k jobs

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I love watching a good bidding war. Though I can't say I've seen one like this or on this scale before.

The GTA of all places definitely can NOT sustain this sort of thing with our current transit, so I'm okay with Toronto's offerings not being that attractive.

NYR

San Diego plz. It would help with the sky rocketing cost of living here. Shit is nutso.
You need people to LEAVE to lower cost of living, not get a gigantic company to come and dominate, ask San Fran how that is working out for them.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Is Texas still in the running? A few people told me out bathroom bill shenanigans left us out in the cold.

Which would honestly be just punishment for even talking about it.

I'm almost positive their second location will be east of the mississippi river. They have a west coast location now they're going for an east coast location. Whichever city can give Amazon the biggest tax abatement will win probably.

scitek

I've been seeing a lot of people saying STL is going to get it

I live in downtown St. Louis, and moved here from Seattle. I can say that there is PLENTY of room in the downtown area for them to have, there's actually an entire skyscraper -- the city's tallest building -- that's completely empty right now, and the region ticks a lot of the boxes Amazon's looking for. And it would absolutely transform the city since STL is in really rough shape right now. I think it will go to the DC area, though.

San Diego plz. It would help with the sky rocketing cost of living here. Shit is nutso.

image.php

muu

Bay area seems like a stupid expensive area to build a new HQ. Besides, why make it easier for employees to jump ship to another silicon valley company?

Bay area seems like a stupid expensive area to build a new HQ. Besides, why make it easier for employees to jump ship to another silicon valley company?

SF Bay Area tossing in a bunch of location around the different cities and the governor yesterday announcement tax breaks for Amazon if California is picked ...which might temp Amazon with Fresh Talent from Cal and Stanford, tax break geez

Wozzly

special needs, sexual needs
Come to Pomona, California, Amazon!! We didn’t Disneyland but we’ll sure as hell get the next big thing!

If you think Amazon employees will jump to your competitors rather than the other way around then you’ve already lost

Gallbaro

Banned
Oh damn, Atlanta and New York though.

I wonder what it would come down to if it came down to just these two. Traffic? Taxes? Land?
Amazon definitely had a team of MBAs doing a quantitative analysis.

However the real influence will come from executive housing preference.

Coppanuva

If you think Amazon employees will jump to your competitors rather than the other way around then you’ve already lost
That's the thing though, Bay area has so much other better employers who pay employees better and don't have a well documented history of being a shitty employer to work for. The best part about working for Amazon is putting their name on your resume.

Amazon definitely had a team of MBAs doing a quantitative analysis.

However the real influence will come from executive housing preference.

Well, in Atlanta, those execs have three different skylines for their multi-million-dollar penthouse suites (or McMansions), haha.

Ecotic

Oh damn, Atlanta and New York though.

I wonder what it would come down to if it came down to just these two. Traffic? Taxes? Land?
Bezos has also said he's looking for a good cultural fit. New York is much closer to Seattle in terms of cultural identification, but Atlanta is dominated by third-party logistics companies and Amazon is in the third-party logistics business.

Bezos has also said he's looking for a good cultural fit. New York is much closer to Seattle in terms of cultural identification, but Atlanta is dominated by third-party logistics companies and Amazon is in the third-party logistics business.

I just can't see Amazon in the Deep South

The Llama

Tbh I'm from Philadelphia and as much as I'd like Amazon to come here, I think Atlantas chances are just as good, if not better, than ours. I definitely see them as a top contender.

Apt101

Software though? I think the only viable options in the south would be Atlanta, Raleigh, and Austin.

NoVA too. If one still counts Virginia as "the south". I realize the capital of the confederacy is here, but VA sure doesn't feel like the south anymore. Well, unless one heads out to the mountains.

Top Bottom