• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TEKKEN 7 releases June 2nd (PC/XB1/PS4, Season Pass, Eliza, more details)

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Why is tekken 6 still the best when it comes to customization? :( It seems they limited what you can do with their hair now.

I don't know. I can see why they downgraded for Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (they had to manage 59 characters over 6's 41 and had to be able to load 4 characters into the game and have them all appear on screen at once).

But for Tekken 7, which is 1v1, on considerably more powerful platforms, and currently managing even fewer characters than Tekken 6. the best excuse I can think of is that it's a new engine. That hardly holds water though, since they ported pretty much all of the Tag 2 customizations over while leaving most of the Tekken 6 customizations behind.

And yeah, the hair customization has been shriveled. Instead of customizing in five parts (base-front-sides-back-accessory) it's two parts (accessory-everything else stuck together).

It's so lame. Unfortunately, most people have forgotten how good it was in Tekken 6, or are distracted by the return of a small handful of classic costumes, or the novelty of sticking a shower head on Akuma. They get excited about the customization, unaware that it's been by and large downgraded two games in a row now.

I just wish there was some reasoning for it.

Hmm..
I don't know.

I played a TON of Ghost Battle on TTT2. This looks a little disappointing.

It seems to me that the biggest difference is that you no longer choose from one of three opponents. Is that really enough to disappoint you?

Dereck

y8eRxgK.gif

What's disappointing about it? It looks like Ghost Battle except you don't get to pick the opponent but you get actual items afterwards.

The Diamond Battle video that was posted earlier made it look like the fights take place entirely in the same stage. The Tekkentalk stream assuaged that fear.

Although, yeah I dislike not being able to choose the next opponent.

cordy

Banned
The Diamond Battle video that was posted earlier made it look like the fights take place entirely in the same stage. The Tekkentalk stream assuaged that fear.

Although, yeah I dislike not being able to choose the next opponent.

Judging the original Japanese Modes Trailer video from last week it looks as though it'll take place in other stages. I'm guessing you'll switch stages out every few matches.

I can understand the picking opponent thing however.

What's crazy about the story mode is that in-game graphics have surpassed that Tekken 5 CG intro. I remember like yesterday wishing for the future when game graphics would look like those CG intros. Dreams do come true.

Monocle

Tekken 7 (PS4) Eliza DLC Character Gameplay (Pre-order Exclusive) Rage Art
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m25ls8irQuk

TEKKEN 7 (PS4) Eliza Practice Mode, Record Option, Command List + Sample Combos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ka1iGi-QTg

TEKKEN 7 (PS4) | Eliza vs. Jin Gameplay [5/1/17]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_50DITpX6lg
I really love the look of that practice stage. Nice scenery.

Eliza looks stupid though. More Street Fighter than Tekken. I'm not feeling her or Akuma honestly. They look super annoying to deal with, and too far removed from regular characters for me to enjoy learning them.

Jinpachi and Alisa were clues that this series was going to get wack. I mean beyond the usual craziness of fighting grizzly bears and reanimated cyborgs. Some of the newer characters are a bridge too far.

Santar

What's disappointing about it? It looks like Ghost Battle except you don't get to pick the opponent but you get actual items afterwards.

I don't know how it worked in TTT2, but in Tekken 6 you could actually download new ghosts based of players that had played the game online which gave the game so much more replayability. I loved that you got to fight a lot of different opponents without the stress of doing it online and live.
There does not seem to be any option for doing this in Tekken 7 :(

jett

D-Member
Do we need what kind of netcode this is going to use? Rollback?

What's crazy about the story mode is that in-game graphics have surpassed that Tekken 5 CG intro. I remember like yesterday wishing for the future when game graphics would look like those CG intros. Dreams do come true.

Yeah I watched the T5 intro in a Tekken 7 vid the other day and was surprised to see how poor the character models have aged. The video being rendered low res doesn't help, of course. :p

Aggelos

About PS4Pro Harada says
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/04/27/your-tekken-7-questions-have-been-answered

Will there be PS4 Pro and Project Scorpio support? If yes, can you provide details?

Katsuhiro Harada: Microsoft hasn’t really announced many details about Scorpio yet, so there isn’t a whole lot we can say about that, and then, for the PS4 Pro, the only thing we can say is there is a noticeable difference in the graphical quality, so for those people who have a PS4 Pro, we hope that you’ll play the game on that platform.

Newboi

Still haven't passed that PS3 launch render tho

tekken-next-20050516080618078.jpg

Man, it still pains me to this day that Tekken doesn't look this good. At this point, Tekken's graphics not looking like the above render is more of a stylistic/artistic choice rather than a hardware limitation. I did wish that Tekken and Soul Calibur were less anime in their artstyles. Seeing the artistic rendition of the characters with imaginative, yet more realistic character designs, then seeing the outright anime inspired look of the final result was always jarring to me.

Man, it still pains me to this day that Tekken doesn't look this good. At this point, Tekken's graphics not looking like the above render is more of a stylistic/artistic choice rather than a hardware limitation. I did wish that Tekken and Soul Calibur were less anime in their artstyles. Seeing the artistic rendition of the characters with imaginative, yet more realistic character designs, then seeing the outright anime inspired look of the final result was always jarring to me.
It they wanted the game to look like that, with skin pores and hair strands and all it would probably not run at 60fps and the stages would be much simpler because all the polygon budget would be spent on characters

maybe next gen

So far almost everything GAF has asked for has been added into the game. Even my idea about an interrogation room is present in a mutated form. Supers were a long running joke that became a reality. If the game decided to make some in-depth story content for side characters I will be overly impressed. The fact that side character stories exist at all is just amazing. I'm waiting to see how fleshed out these side stories are.

Knowing the game doesn't have an unlimited budget, I hope that Tekken team could pick one or two characters and focused on story based DLC for those characters.

If it sells well they could always add more content. We also need bridge content to take us from one numbered installment to the next. Tekken could move to a longer term development model not unlike Street Fighter 5.

Newboi

It they wanted the game to look like that, with skin pores and hair strands and all it would probably not run at 60fps and the stages would be much simpler because all the polygon budget would be spent on characters

maybe next gen

Not entirely sure if the look of the 2005 render can't be captured this generation. Paragon looks amazing on UE4 and runs at 60fps on consoles. Uncharted 4 looks incredible, better than the 2005 Tekken render, and that's a character action game with huge environments and several characters on screen at once. It runs at 30fps, but I can't imagine not being able to get similar results at 60 fps with a two character fighter with confined stages. I personally think it's more of an art style choice rather than being limited by hardware power.

ErzaScarlet77

Neo Member
will there be more characters? roster is kinda small compared to previous games.
and that character select bgm is complete trash wtf? it sounded like my game sound had an error and loop the music

AAK

So far almost everything GAF has asked for has been added into the game.

My request for an option to remove customs from appearing on my side of the game during online play was never answered... But at least there's the PC version w/ mod support so I suppose it can be considered my fault for buying the inferior version.

WorldHero

Not sure if I'm getting this for Pro or Scorpio until I see how it compares to the arcade.

The regular PS4 vids look somewhat "softer" than the arcade and lack the "punch" of the coin-op.

Looks like different shaders were used perhaps? Anyone else notice this?

Not sure if I'm getting this for Pro or Scorpio until I see how it compares to the arcade.

The regular PS4 vids look somewhat "softer" than the arcade and lack the "punch" of the coin-op.

Looks like different shaders were used perhaps? Anyone else notice this?

i have noticed this too. arcade version looks better to me

Top Bottom