• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mii Codes is the way to go for WiiOnline? (confirmed?)

Saoh

so, if this is true, how will the system work now? ´cuz in order to exchange Mii i need to give my friend code first.

so...

Somnid

So something really stupid becomes something kinda clever. It's just like Nintendo to leave the fans in the dark like that too instead of making a statement to dispell the negative press.

This better be true.

Somnid said:
So something really stupid becomes something kinda clever. It's just like Nintendo to leave the fans in the dark like that too instead of making a statement to dispell the negative press.

This better be true.

I don't know what is so clever about it.

You still need to exchange the codes with the other person first.

Capndrake

But now you only need to do it one time.

Plus (I don't know if this is the case for other online systems, don't kill me if it's wrong) you can pick any name you want, it can't be taken by somebody else.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
I don't know what is so clever about it.

You still need to exchange the codes with the other person first.

The main benefit to a code is that you don't use it as your actual alias. With a faceless code as the actual exchange mechanism, instead of a "gamertag", users can use any usernames they want, as they aren't the things that have to remain static. So the 500,000 "Mike" Miis out there wouldn't suddenly clash when they try to go online.

Seraph830

Banned
ok as usual im retarded and i have no idea what this means.

can somebody explain it at a 1st grade level for me? your Mii's are linked to your freind code? I dont get what this means or why its so awesome.

Avrum

Saoh said:
so, if this is true, how will the system work now? ´cuz in order to exchange Mii i need to give my friend code first.

so...

From what I understand, registering one another shows up people's Miis as they imported from their own Mii Channel, so you probably don't have to literally own their Mii (by exchanging Wii System Numbers and receiving it) in addition to that. I don't think you're actually receiving their Mii, just completing the connection between profiles. (hope I explained that well enough)

I don't believe this for a second until we get online details for Battalion Wars II. Pokemon had its own code, Strikers has its own code allegedly tied to the Mii, Big Brain uses the system code. Until we see two in a row, I'm not believing anything.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Can somebody translate this into japanese and send to satoru.iwata@nintendo.co.jp please

Konnichiva Iwata-san.

With all respect to your product, you are clueless about online. Here is how it should work.

1. I choose a username and password to create a profile
2. I can use my profile on any Wii
3. My username works on any game
4. I can add friends by entering their username or directly from post-game results
5. I can play with anyone and yes that includes voice

It sounds hard but let me assure you, it is doable.

Domo arigato.

Chittagong.

JDSN

Banned
Seraph830 said:
ok as usual im retarded and i have no idea what this means.

can somebody explain it at a 1st grade level for me? your Mii's are linked to your freind code? I dont get what this means or why its so awesome.

When you save a friend code, it will be stored on your Wii. So, when you buy a game that is compatible with Friend codes you will be able to "copy& paste" the list stored on your Wii so you dont have to write every individual friend code every time you buy a new game.

Its not awesome, but is makes the whole process less shitty.

Threi

notag
Chittagong said:
Can somebody translate this into japanese and send to satoru.iwata@nintendo.co.jp please

Konnichiva Iwata-san.

With all respect to your product, you are clueless about online. Here is how it should work.

1. I choose a username and password to create a profile
2. I can use my profile on any Wii
3. My username works on any game
4. I can add friends by entering their username or directly from post-game results
5. I can play with anyone and yes that includes voice

It sounds hard but let me assure you, it is doable.

Domo arigato.

Chittagong.

Konnichiva Iwata サン。あなたのプロダクトへのすべての点との、clueless 約オンラインである。ここにそれがいかにが働くべきであるかある。 1. 私はユーザー名を選び、プロフィール2. を作成するパスワードあらゆるゲーム4. 私が彼らのの私のユーザー名の仕事ユーザー名を含んでいる加えることができるあらゆるWii 3. の私のプロフィールを使用できるまたは直接ポストゲームの結果5. から私はだれでもと遊ぶことができ、書き入れることによってはいそれは声を友人をそれは懸命に鳴るが、私がである行なうことが可能のそれ保証することを可能にした。 Domo のarigato 。

Chittagong

Gold Member
Mr. Pachunga Chung said:
Konnichiva Iwata サン。あなたのプロダクトへのすべての点との、clueless 約オンラインである。ここにそれがいかにが働くべきであるかある。 1. 私はユーザー名を選び、プロフィール2. を作成するパスワードあらゆるゲーム4. 私が彼らのの私のユーザー名の仕事ユーザー名を含んでいる加えることができるあらゆるWii 3. の私のプロフィールを使用できるまたは直接ポストゲームの結果5. から私はだれでもと遊ぶことができ、書き入れることによってはいそれは声を友人をそれは懸命に鳴るが、私がである行なうことが可能のそれ保証することを可能にした。 Domo のarigato 。

Lol, looks I missed all of the words I entered in Japanese. Brain Age = 87

Somnid

It's clever in the sense that you have multiple accounts per system and they are tied to your unique avatar. Miis are one of Wii's unique strengths and playing to that is a very good idea. Also, lots of people might use the name "Mike" and a number would make sense as an identifier. So now it's like exchanging a phone-number, you need to add it to the address book once but after that you still have it, certainly nobody's ever complained about that.

Bo130

BrodiemanTTR said:
I don't believe this for a second until we get online details for Battalion Wars II. Pokemon had its own code, Strikers has its own code allegedly tied to the Mii, Big Brain uses the system code. Until we see two in a row, I'm not believing anything.

Elebits and BBA doesn't allow head-to-head multiplayer, it uses the WiiConnect24 system and is therefore tied to the Wii Number.
Pokémon is tied to D/P and has a DS-style FC.
Battalion Wars II is very sure to have the same system as Mario Strikers.

Crypto

Banned
Friend codes are the worst thing ever, anything that works against them is great.

Even replacing numbers with chosen names is a good step, it's easier to enter and remember a 10 letter name than those ungodly digits.

There SHOULD be a system wide profile system.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
If we had to enter only once a friend code for all games, I'd be fine with it.
I would still think it could be done better, but that will be soon forgotten if upcoming online game are as good as Mario Striker :D .

Seraph830

Banned
JDSN said:
When you save a friend code, it will be stored on your Wii. So, when you buy a game that is compatible with Friend codes you will be able to "copy& paste" the list stored on your Wii so you dont have to write every individual friend code every time you buy a new game.
So are we talking about the same thing as the Wii system codes?

What this sounds like is games that use this new Mii-Wifi system will write separate friend codes into your Mii. at that point, anytime you chose your Mii(profile) in an online game it adds all your friends automatically, therefore allowing you and your sister to each have a separate friends list??

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Seraph830 said:
So are we talking about the same thing as the Wii system codes?

What this sounds like is games that use this new Mii-Wifi system will write separate friend codes into your Mii. at that point, anytime you chose your Mii(profile) in an online game it adds all your friends automatically, therefore allowing you and your sister to each have a separate friends list??
yup, pretty much

this news is great though. i was pretty much surrendered to friend codes a while ago. this at least makes the deal sweeter. hopefully there will be a channel in the future where you can manage your Mii profile, or it may even be impemented into the Mii channel, which would also be awesome. i just hope i will have the option of unbridled voice chat in the future. thats the only thing i really want, Halo brat effect be damned.

doomed1 said:
yup, pretty much
hopefully there will be a channel in the future where you can manage your Mii profile, or it may even be impemented into the Mii channel, which would also be awesome.

I like that idea, especially the integration to the Mii Channel part. I quoted this just in case Nintendo is reading this thread.

Saoh

JDSN said:

Its not awesome, but is makes the whole process less shitty.

ok, i still don't get it. doesn't Mario Strikers already use a similar system? with a lobby that even tells you who's online and other decent features?

also, the Wii FC agenda is open to anyone and has no restriction whatsoever, what i mean is that the Mii Channel should be updated first with a profile manager in order to ¨select a Mii and have everyone on your profile is added¨.

and who knows how long that will take (hopefully not too long). i dunno, i'll wait for BWii online details first.... or for the next online game.

BrodiemanTTR said:
I think this is how it'll really work. That interview was actually direct about it and not vague like previous ones. However, it is possible that WiiConnect24 content will use the Wii Code (making it accessible to everyone) and WFC content will use Mii codes (individual to players) and this will continue throughout the generation.

Brief rundown of how it's panned out so far:
Elebits - WiiConnect24 - Wii Code
Pokemon BR - WiFi Connection - Mii Code?
Big Brain Academy (it was released in Japan in April) - WiiConnect24 - Wii Code
Mario Strikers Charged - WiFi Connection - Mii Code

So this could either support the need for two codes or it could simply mean that the system hadn't been finalized till Mario Strikers Charged. I think the Wii + Mii Code makes more sense (in Nintendo's eyes) as they want WiiConnect24 content to be accessible to all the system's users.

EphemeralDream said:
I think this is how it'll really work. That interview was actually direct about it and not vague like previous ones. However, it is possible that WiiConnect24 content will use the Wii Code (making it accessible to everyone) and WFC content will use Mii codes (individual to players) and this will continue throughout the generation.

Brief rundown of how it's panned out so far:
Elebits - WiiConnect24 - Wii Code
Pokemon BR - WiFi Connection - Mii Code?
Big Brain Academy (it was released in Japan in April) - WiiConnect24 - Wii Code
Mario Strikers Charged - WiFi Connection - Mii Code

So this could either support the need for two codes or it could simply mean that the system hadn't been finalized till Mario Strikers Charged. I think the Wii + Mii Code makes more sense (in Nintendo's eyes) as they want WiiConnect24 content to be accessible to all the system's users.

Nothing before Strikers has used this system so they shouldn't really count. Obviously this is something new or at least different from the way they were doing things before or 3rd parties would have been making online games (not just WiiConnect24 like Elebits).

Corrected:

Elebits - Japan, America, Europe - WiiConnect24 - Wii Code
Pokemon BR - Japan - WiFi Connection - Game Specific Friend Code
Big Brain Academy - Japan - WiiConnect24 - Wii Code
Mario Strikers Charged - Europe - WiFi Connection - Mii Code
Jissen Pachi-Slot Pachinko Hisshouhou! - Japan - WiFi Connection - Unknown

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Mr. Pachunga Chung said:
Babelfish, I guess.

titiklabingapat said:
There's a very good chance that the Pachinko game will support the Mii code since Miis are integrated and supported by the game.
Well, it's out over there, so now it's up to some Japanese gaffer to tell us the deal.

Rezbit

The Sphinx said:
Those poor Australians. :lol

Why do you say that? In every online game I play, I only play with Australians. That goes from Gears of War to Counter-strike. Otherwise the lag is just unbearable, even with the best connection.

loosus

Banned
Seems that the system needs an update so that you can see your Mii Code without going into a game and so that you can see stats without being in a game, too. Without this being built into the actual system, it seems very tacked-on.

loosus said:
Seems that the system needs an update so that you can see your Mii Code without going into a game and so that you can see stats without being in a game, too. Without this being built into the actual system, it seems very tacked-on.
That's true. The best system to implement this would be tying the Mii code to the actual Mii. So you send your Mii to your friends via WiiConnect24 and they can then just add them in each game by choosing the Mii from the list (as you do for your own Mii in SMSC). Otherwise it wouldn't be a big improvement at all since you would have to put in the code for each of your friends for each game anyway. Sure it's better that it's the same code and not a different one for each game but it would still be cumbersome.

JDSN

Banned
Looks like Fifa is about to jump in the Miicode bandwagon:

- Instant head-to-head action with worldwide gamers

- Up-to-the-moment roster updates

- Virtual League which will allow players to join online tournaments

- Offline: Full Mii roster functionality with mini-games and more.

From G0nintendo

fresquito

I rented Strikers, had a FC for that game. Bough it, and the code remains the same. Now, it's the same game. I think on the DS the FC changed even with the same game on a different console.

I guess we'll have to wait for the next online game that have Mii profiles.

DS friend codes were linked between game and system, so same game in a different console didn't work. I assume it's now saved the Mii code to the system itself or the game save data stored on Wii, so that's an improvement.

If there is a FC per Mii , all games will be like Mario Strikers.

You will have to add your friends one at one, but with the convenience that is the same number always. That way you can choose wich friends to have in every game.

Also it has being said in many previews that Big Brain Wii uses the the Wii FC, the same used to send messages between Wiis.

Lets say i have added my friend Joe using my Wii FC. We both boy Big Bran Wii. He and his girlfriend add profiles to the game and start playing. Those two profiles will appear on my Wii and i will be able to check their stats and even play against them. You dont play against them online like in Mario Strikers. In this case the Wii simulates your friend, based on his statistics.

With this info i would say that there will bethe same FC for every Mii in games where you play head to head. For the rest of the games, where there is no real time interaction the Wii FC will be used.

Just my thoughts

santouras

fresquito said:
I rented Strikers, had a FC for that game. Bough it, and the code remains the same. Now, it's the same game. I think on the DS the FC changed even with the same game on a different console.

I guess we'll have to wait for the next online game that have Mii profiles.
Yeah thats cause the DS wrote the FC data to the game card as opposed to the system. Wouldn't be possible to store possibly an infinite amount of data on the finite storage space of the DS with no management to remove FC details. Also on a catridge based medium it makes more sense to store it on the card.

Ramenman

Starchasing said:
With this info i would say that there will bethe same FC for every Mii in games where you play head to head. For the rest of the games, where there is no real time interaction the Wii FC will be used.

I think got it right.

Elebits also allows for content sharing, and it also uses the Wii FC.

Nintendo really need to add voice support. Limit it to friends only or whatever but it needs to be included. As a parent if I don't want my kids to be verbally abused I'll put the headset away.

M3d10n

fresquito said:

Of course the code remains the same: it's impossible to make it specific for each DVD. Everything is saved on your Wii and it can't tell the difference between the DVD you rented and the one you bought.

DS games have save memory on the cartridges themselves, so each copy can hold unique data.

CoolS

I'm not 100% sure about this, but someone in a german forum did the following: He deleted his Mii from Mario Strikers Charged. He did not delete the Mii completely from his Wii.
Then he used the same Mii again. But the firendcode had changed.

From what i gathered it shouldn't be like this, should it? normally the code should be assigned to the Mii and never change, unless you delete him in the Mii channel, right?

aeolist

Banned
So if someone is on your Wii address book and they send you their Mii online does that add their Mii code?

Because if so that would be pretty cool and make this even better.

Karki

CoolS said:
I'm not 100% sure about this, but someone in a german forum did the following: He deleted his Mii from Mario Strikers Charged. He did not delete the Mii completely from his Wii.

From what i gathered it shouldn't be like this, should it? normally the code should be assigned to the Mii and never change, unless you delete him in the Mii channel, right?

Yeah that sounds wrong..

Proven

It seems the precedent has been set from now for two types of online games.

Hardcore online games: Mii-codes.
Examples: Strikers, Smash Bros, Battalion Wars, etc.

Casual online games: Wii-code.
Examples: Big Brain Academy, etc.

Now the only thing left is to see if you have to re-enter anything for multiple online Hardcore games.

Edit: To the above post, maybe the code changes because it's like deleting your online profile. You deleted it, so it's assumed you want a new one and then a new code is created to tie to your Mii.

This would also mean that the Friend Code created is from the Nintendo WFC and not based on some random number from the Mii itself.

shangius

CoolS said:

I think this makes sense. When the Mii is registered for online play, it receives it's code from the Nintendo server (in order to guarantee global uniqueness). The code is saved in the online profile portion of the Mii, but once the person in question deleted his online profile, everything related to it was removed (the code included). When the Mii is registered again, the server naturally generates a new code for it.

This doesn't change the fact, that once a Mii is registered, different games can potentially use the same online profile and the same friends list.

Top Bottom