• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insulin pump manufacturer Animas is closing doors

Didn't see any threads.

https://www.jnj.com/media-center/press-releases/animas-corporation-to-close-operations-and-exit-insulin-pump-market
CHESTERBROOK, Pa., October 5, 2017 – Animas Corporation, one of the Johnson & Johnson Diabetes Care Companies, today announced that it intends to discontinue the manufacturing and sale of Animas® Vibe® and OneTouch Ping® insulin pumps, close operations and exit the insulin pump business.

Animas has selected Medtronic plc (NYSE: MDT), a world leader in diabetes, as its partner-of-choice to facilitate a seamless transition for patients, caregivers and healthcare providers. Patients using an Animas insulin pump will be offered the option to transfer to a Medtronic pump.

Patient safety and continuity of care is of utmost importance and Animas will continue to provide customer service, training and warranty support, including providing pump supplies that are used in conjunction with the Animas® Vibe® and OneTouch Ping® insulin pumps, through a transition period.

“We recognize that patients living with diabetes rely on our products to provide critical care, and we want to reassure them that we will be with them every step of the way throughout this transition,” said Valerie Asbury, General Manager of Animas Corporation. “Our number one priority is ensuring patients have a seamless experience as they transition to Medtronic. For over 30 years, Medtronic has been a global leader in the treatment of those living with diabetes, and we are confident they will provide outstanding support to our patients and their healthcare teams.”

“We are incredibly grateful to our patients and healthcare partners for the trust, confidence and loyalty they have placed in Animas products over the last 12 years,” Asbury said. “With changing needs of customers, rapidly evolving market dynamics, and increased competitive pressures, it proved too difficult to sustain the insulin pump business and we decided to pursue an exit of the business. This decision was extremely difficult and comes following the extensive exploration of all other viable options for the Animas business.”

This is fairly upsetting, as Animas has done a phenomenal job in making pumps that can incorporate a lot of lifestyles, as well as partnering up with CGM manufacturer Dexcom. Medtronic supposedly has supply and service issues, so this transition and customer hand-off is likely to exacerbate those. There is also concern that Medtronic is once again to be in position to monopolize the industry if rumors of Tandem going under are true (Insulet will be the remaining current company if so).

As a type 1 diabetic I’ve never even see someone with these. Medtronic and Dexcom run the market for a reason as they are the best out there, especially with the new pump from Medtronic.

Mosse

Neo Member
Damn. The Vibe was one of the pumps I was considering when I got my pump last year. I would probably have choosen it if it weren't for the Omnipod, love that it's tubeless but the Dexcom integration that the Vibe has were tempting. I hope everyone with an Animas pump have a smooth transition

Top Bottom