• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are unions frowned upon?

geomon

Rich people like having their boots on the necks of the working class. Can't have the riff raff banding together.

Jetman

I wish they didn't take $150 from me a month but that's about my only complaint. I'm better off with them than I'd be without them.

Yeah, this is where I'm at with our Union. And strikes suck too. Every year that our contract comes up for negotiation we're striking.
I do see shitty employees being protected but the positives far out weigh that negative.
I see other workers in my field working for other non-union companies being forced to work 7-days a week at times (weekends And Holidays), so I get worried when I see more and more unions fold.
Weird thing is, the majority of people in our union are conservative/republicans and talk shit about unions but all 100% reap the benefits from them. It's nuts.

Meia

Not sure how I feel about the union with the place I work. As a part timer, all I've seen it done is take away some of my wages and let people continue to work there that should have been fired long ago, but are protected from no showing once every few weeks because they get the union involved.

I'm sure they're "supposed" to fight for us, but a $0.25 raise over the course of one year isn't exactly fighting the good fight, is it?

Ogodei

For capitalists, because they get in the way of treating their workers like disposable machine-tools. For everyone else, because they resent what they don't have. My dad's pretty liberal but still looks askance at unions because his company's never had them. He feels like union workers ask for too much when really he's just accustomed to asking for too little (he's management though. It's been 30 years since he was on the line).

DavidDesu

I've always thought the American view of unions was just another part of the brainwashed hyper capitalist mindset you've got over there, where threatening those with money and doing ANYTHING to help "the little guy" is seen as sacrilege. It's a horrible mindset and the lowly average worker gets hit on all sides. Gotta work hard to pay for you and your family. So hard you get virtually no time off and do ridiculous hours to actually ever see your family or benefit from the money you're earning. Your earnings suck and you have poor healthcare options and you're just told to man up, get another job on the side, be better and move up the ranks... and so on.

America as it stands these days, in the hands of the hyper capitalist 0.01 percenter's, is a viscious, remorseless place for anyone with less than a few million in their bank account. You really are brainwashed with crazy ideas and everything put in place to make you keep YOURSELVES down so some other cunt can make a huge profit at your expense. Other countries have a much better balance and still function and are often more civilised than America. They have a few less billionaires mind, for shame!

Syriel

For capitalists, because they get in the way of treating their workers like disposable machine-tools. For everyone else, because they resent what they don't have. My dad's pretty liberal but still looks askance at unions because his company's never had them. He feels like union workers ask for too much when really he's just accustomed to asking for too little (he's management though. It's been 30 years since he was on the line).

Many unions also have no concept of optics.

For example, when the BART union went on strike in the Bay Area, and one of the demands was that they NOT switch to direct deposit. Nope, the union demanded that everyone still get paid by paper check, simply because a handful of people had delivering checks are part of their job duties.

Can't reassign those folks. Can't let them apply for other positions.

Have to keep processing physical checks (and incurring the extra costs to do so) rather then switch to direct deposit because someone on the union payroll likes that job.

American unions could do themselves a world of good by hiring competent PR firms and learning how to manage their images.

Unions power grew through the red scare,

Reagan, the democrats abandoning them and racial resentment are all largely to blame, plus the rise of right to work and corporations in the 70s coordinating on anti-union strategies.

Excellent points. I manage a Union shop (a pretty lousy Union btw) and just from listening anecdotally it seems the members overwhelmingly voted for Trump

KahooTs

Many unions also have no concept of optics.

For example, when the BART union went on strike in the Bay Area, and one of the demands was that they NOT switch to direct deposit. Nope, the union demanded that everyone still get paid by paper check, simply because a handful of people had delivering checks are part of their job duties.

Can't reassign those folks. Can't let them apply for other positions.

Have to keep processing physical checks (and incurring the extra costs to do so) rather then switch to direct deposit because someone on the union payroll likes that job.

American unions could do themselves a world of good by hiring competent PR firms and learning how to manage their images.
Why is this issue you use as an example an optics issue, rather than just an issue?

Unions are important. Some are definitely shit and act like mafia, and of course big biz + human negativity bias means the bad apples go front and center when it comes to unions. By and large, they are a force for good but they have done some shit things, those of which are minuscule in comparison to what would happen without them or if corporations had their way completely ala America.

As long as they are actually representing their members in their actual interest and not protecting shit heads or being a ruthless business themselves...I don't see the downside to unions.

prophetvx

I said companies. Still waiting.

Gross negligence from staff tends not to make the news like it does in the public sector. The healthcare industry is littered with negligence that has gone unpunished because of unions. Considering there are very few skilled unionized industries left and the ones that are, are struggling (Automotive or Steelwork for example), I highly doubt a study could even be done on what you're suggesting. Supermarket clerks is an industry founded on mediocrity.

Do you think that when you take away individual bargaining that people will remain performance oriented?

I say this as someone who worked under Australian unions, not American ones. They have their place but as I said, I would never want to work under one again.

Dude Abides

Banned
Honestly, it's because many unions have gone from "protecting the worker" to "protecting their own profits/interests."

My SO works as a nurse and her union has done an exceedingly crap job in negotiations because it only looks out for the older workers at the expense of the younger workers.

When unions have gotten so big that they can't effectively represent their constituents as a whole, and end up picking-and-choosing winners-and-losers, you're naturally going to see some resentment.

In these cases the union feels a lot more like a mafia protection racket than an organization that's looking out for a worker's best interests.

And that's not even touching the topic of public sector unions, like Police Unions.

I honestly believe that unions would be a lot more beneficial to workers (and better accepted in the US) if they were smaller and better represented the worker groups, as opposed to these national, mega-unions that are just in it for the $$$.

This of course, makes no sense. Unions are the size that reflects the bargaining unit they represent. Any democratic institution has to make compromises among the people it represents so there will always be malcontents like your SO.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
because the right wing has turned non unionized workers against unionized workers. Its apart of the plan to destroy all workers rights. Totally fucked

What's the racial resentment angle?

This is a giant, I think; As globalization picked up a lot of Unions crumbled due to operations being moved overseas. This lead to a rise in formerly Unionized workers resenting people from other countries and generally just people of different races. In the past 10 years or so racial resentment as a whole has spiked due to us having a Black President and a light being shined on racial inequality and acts of violence committed by Law Enforcement against primarily minority suspects. Trump and the Right as a whole have fed into that. It started with "illegal immigrants coming here and taking American jobs" and has evolved to the isolationist platform Trump is all-in on--building a wall, cancelling all our free trade agreements, being actively hostile towards minorities, etc.

Protein

Banned
Those Walmart employee orientation videos were fucking hilarious. I wonder if they still have those 80s production values. The part on unions basically boiled down to, "if you see liberals protesting in the parking lot, please notify your immediate supervisor."

Gluka

Do you think that when you take away individual bargaining that people will remain performance oriented?

Yes?

Do you think anecdotal evidence that amounts to "I really didn't like my coworkers" makes for a convincing argument against unionization?

Madness

Most unions are great and the only thing standing between corporations having low wages, shit benefits etc. Some unions are pretty poorly run, almost extortion/mafia level tactics. Forced to contribute, high salaries for union heads, little actual benefit for workers. Sometimes unions even cause jobs to be lost, call you scab if you try to work to pay bills that won't be paid if there is a strike etc.

I still would rather have unionization than not at all though. Especially if I was in the US.

turtle553

Another issue with some unions is everything is by seniority. A company may want to promote a good worker, but can't because someone else has seniority. Maybe they don't want the senior worker in the position, so nobody might gets promoted.

kirblar

What's the racial resentment angle?
A lot of unions were (and some still are) super duper racist. Their membership would vote for Dems despite being socially conservative and xenophobic because of the perceived economic benefits. When the Dems went all-in on civil rights and labor unions weakened in power both due to deregulation and the general economic changes brought on by technology and globalization, many of them just started voting for the GOP.

This is a giant, I think; As globalization picked up a lot of Unions crumbled due to operations being moved overseas. This lead to a rise in formerly Unionized workers resenting people from other countries and generally just people of different races. In the past 10 years or so racial resentment as a whole has spiked due to us having a Black President and a light being shined on racial inequality and acts of violence committed by Law Enforcement against primarily minority suspects. Trump and the Right as a whole have fed into that. It started with "illegal immigrants coming here and taking American jobs" and has evolved to the isolationist platform Trump is all-in on--building a wall, cancelling all our free trade agreements, being actively hostile towards minorities, etc.

Nah, it's just good old fashioned white working class racism. It's always been there

prophetvx

Yes?

Do you think anecdotal evidence that amounts to "I really didn't like my coworkers" makes for a convincing argument against unionization?
Do you think I'm arguing against unionization? It's completely industry dependent. It's downright stupid to say unions don't have their place but it's even more idiotic to say they are absolutely necessary across all industries or that they don't do more harm than good in most high skilled workforces. There is a reason why unions are more commonly employed in public services and low skilled workforces, it's because they have low bargaining power and have high availability.

Collective and individual bargaining both have their place in society.

Wood Man

At my place of employment my department is the only one unionized and it's a mixed bag. There are people who you would think make more money than me, but they don't. On the other hand the company has downsized us and offered no benefits to part-timers.

cube444

Because they protect the useless and lazy ones who get paid the same amount of money as their peers yet have a third of the skill set, knowledge, productivity and integrity.

cube444

Another issue with some unions is everything is by seniority. A company may want to promote a good worker, but can't because someone else has seniority. Maybe they don't want the senior worker in the position, so nobody might gets promoted.

My company finds a way around this by using "business needs" moves.

They can be good and bad. Good because they can negotiate for you better bad because they protect shitty employees who should have been fired ages ago. I work for a retail company that has a very strong union. I'm part of the union as well but in a supervisory role. what makes it tough and makes my job ten times harder is terrible employees who the union protects. If these people were fired I honestly would like my job but I have to babysit around 10 people because they don't so their fair share of work and slack of at the first chance while the remaining people work their ass off and have to cover most of the work. Its terrible and extremely demoralizing. Sometimes I wish we didn't have a union, just so that we won't be stressed out as much.

eh to be honest, the only thing getting rid of the union would change is the 10 slackers would become a revolving door of shitty employees.

At least though you would have the hope of things improving.

Because they protect the useless and lazy ones who get paid the same amount of money as their peers yet have a third of the skill set, knowledge, productivity and integrity.

And yet they are the workers' only check against corporate power. Unions got us the 8 hour work day, 40 hour work week, and the weekend. Of course those are all starting to be stripped from us.

I'll gladly have a lazy employee as a coworker if it means having rights to begin with.

SoulUnison

Banned
Because companies are legally required to constantly increase profits, even at the expense of humanity, and unions are all about fair working wages and conditions.

We've basically enshrined deteriorating work environments into law.

jstripes

Banned
Unions are necessary to balance out the horrible aspects of capitalism, but man, can they have the most entitled, belligerent attitudes. When the balance of power shifts either way, you can get shitheads at the top.

I still remember a friend getting written up for putting paper in the printer in his office on his own.

The rise and fall of powerful labor unions in the United States roughly followed that of organized crime and La Cosa Nostra (the Mafia). For more than a decade, Jimmy Hoffa, the President of the Teamsters, was arguably the most powerful person in the United States, even more so than the President. Hoffa was arguably one of the most powerful people in the country even while he was behind bars.

When the Feds cracked down on organized crime, so too fell the most powerful labor unions. They had become inextricably linked throughout the 20th century. Along with that came deregulation in the 1980s and what was a powerful relationship between organized crime, labor unions, and government disintegrated.

I've always been passive interested in the history of organized crime, but was never really interested in the labor union aspect of that until I was recommended "So I Heard You Paint Houses," an auto-biography/biography about Frank Sheeran, Jimmy Hoffa's main muscle and a strong man for the Philadelphia/Pittsburgh/North East organized crime syndicate. The book makes two things pretty clear:

1) Hoffa was executed by Sheeran and the NY/Philly/NE mob
2) Hoffa and the NY/Philly/NE mob were involved in the Kennedy assassination

It was a pretty good book, about half is written by an author/interviewer, and the other half is mostly Sheeran putting his life into his own words. The sections written by Sheeran, through interviews, are rough, while the other sections providing context are all pretty good and well written, with a lot of history.

Opto

Banned
A corrupt union will never be as terrible as a corrupt corporation, but it was the former we dismantled at every opportunity

Bolivar687

Banned
American labor law has not been updated to evolve at the same pace as the societal changes to the workplace. Employer-side law firms can also pay more money to attract top talent than their union-side counterparts, widening the disparity in legal representation, while creating more workarounds and loopholes to the outdated National Labor Relations Act. The information/digital technology industry in particular has utilized an unprecedented, unified use of legal services to erode the rights their employees, especially when it comes to unionization.

As a result, we currently have the mindset that the only companies with unions are the ones bad enough to deserve them.

At the same time, we've seen the Democratic party evolve into the party of professionals and jettisoning its traditional blue collar constituencies, including the labor movement and the Catholic demographic that has always supported it. The Obama administration, with its authoritarian approach in all things, thought the answer was to incorporate businesses into burgeoning regulatory schemes instead of cultivating an environment where employees can themselves negotiate for the rights they know they need most. Union leadership continues to fall in line with a party that could not care less about them, while the rank and file instead vote for the party that will only continue to erode their workplace protections.

Aters

You've done all this research and you've not figured out and seen numerous articles about this?

This thread doesn't seem set up to want to answer any questions but "lol stupid US"

Haha this is true. OP has found a lot articles on why unions are bad, yet still made this thread.

mackattk

Because corporations want to exploit workers and profit off them with poor working conditions.

Unions band employees together. Keeping them separate means they can exploit workers individually and if they don't like it they can get the fuck out and there are always enough workers to replace the position.

btrboyev

Unions are good and are a necessary force in the workplace for a lot of companies.

Right wing and rich folks hate them because it makes them accountable and cuts into rich pockets.

That being said, there is a lot of shady shit that goes on in unions. And I completely disagree with how some union jobs protect employees for life. Like teachers in states that have teachers unions. You cannot fire a teacher in MN after they get tenured unless they beat or have sex with a kid.

Gluka

Do you think I'm arguing against unionization?
I pointed out that one of the most common arguments made on this subject isn't particularly convincing.

But this:

It's downright stupid to say unions don't have their place but it's even more idiotic to say they are absolutely necessary across all industries or that they don't do more harm than good in most high skilled workforces.

Seems to point to yes. Relying on the mercy of your employer because you think you're irreplaceable doesn't make any sense. Japanese professionals die due to working too many hours. Software devs don't see their families for weeks on end during crunch. Plenty of professional industries have low job security due to constant downsizing to maximize profits. I'm not convinced that highly skilled workers don't need union protections for just as many reasons as their lower skilled counterparts.

Keri

I personally don't work in a Union, but there is a Union at my place of employment that includes people I work around. This is a complaint I've heard from friends in the Union. When a Union steps in to protect a bad employee from being fired, the end result is usually that other coworkers end up having to do more work, which breeds resentment. Also, many complain about paying dues and receiving little if any benefit back, because the Union sucks at negotiations.

I personally don't work in a Union, but there is a Union at my place of employment that includes people I work around. This is a complaint I've heard from friends in the Union. When a Union steps in to protect a bad employee from being fired, the end result is usually that other coworkers end up having to do more work, which breeds resentment. Also, many complain about paying dues and receiving little if any benefit back, because the Union sucks at negotiations.

And yet...

unionmembership_wages.png

UnionWages.png

prophetvx

I pointed out that one of the most common arguments made on this subject isn't particularly convincing.

But this:

Seems to point to yes. Relying on the mercy of your employer because you think you're irreplaceable doesn't make any sense. Japanese professionals die due to working too many hours. Software devs don't see their families for weeks on end during crunch. Plenty of professional industries have low job security due to constant downsizing to maximize profits. I'm not convinced that highly skilled workers don't need union protections for just as many reasons as their lower skilled counterparts.
Relying on your union to negotiate for yourself and hundreds or thousands of others, when you have a marketable skill set doesn't make sense.

Everyone is replaceable, but as someone who hires plenty of people I can assure you, it costs far more to hire new people than it does to keep existing people happy. That's in the software industry with an 8:30 - 5pm day and people get to see their families.

If a business views you as a group asset, you're as equally disposable and hold the same value as the person who does far less work than you. That too can be massively problematic.

There aren't too many unionized industries with people regularly getting 6 figure salaries or more than 4 weeks vacation.

Top Bottom