• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nex Machina |OT| Insert 80 Quarters

MrS

Banned
Only need the 100feats one for platinum, will do some feats every day over the next two weeks to get it. All hard trophies done :D

And also today, I got the Wipeout Omega Platin. What a good day to be a trophy whore! :D
Nice job! The WipEout platinum is beyond me because I just can't get the Elite Passes on 2048. Salute.

Dear god, this game is such an amazing experience to discover these tricks

I absolutely love how much goes into the scoring

Human chaining, shooting enemies, using power weapons, dashing, finding secrets, killing visitors.

Its all so damn involved
Never mind the little nuances that go into using each sub-weapon efficiently after memorizing spawns on a room-to-room basis. It's nice to watch how a Powershot run differs from a Smartbomb run, how comparatively speaking a Sword run unfolds et cetera. Gives me an excuse to post another semi-related .gif too:

kdxqkn.gif

On that note: the Laser also has the ability to kill enemies around the player character, although that only works against the weak cannon fodder units.

Gustavoh

Neo Member
I've been working on the online arena challenges and I'm scratching my head a little bit. Just did a perfect run in the first challenge (Forest Hunter), but my score (34.7 million) was 3 million short of the highest score on the leaderboard.

Since it's only a single level/world and I did get everything perfectly (all humans, non-interrupted human combo, all disruptors, beacons, visitors, secret exits, no hits, etc.) and in less than 7 minutes, I don't see how I can improve my score so much to account for these extra 3 million. There must be some wrinkle in the scoring system I'm not seeing here. Any ideas?

I've been working on the online arena challenges and I'm scratching my head a little bit. Just did a perfect run in the first challenge (Forest Hunter), but my score (34.7 million) was 3 million short of the highest score on the leaderboard.

Since it's only a single level/world and I did get everything perfectly (all humans, non-interrupted human combo, all disruptors, beacons, visitors, secret exits, no hits, etc.) and in less than 7 minutes, I don't see how I can improve my score so much to account for these extra 3 million. There must be some wrinkle in the scoring system I'm not seeing here. Any ideas?
Improving your speed helps if it's not close to a 100k total yet, but from the sounds of it you didn't accomplish 'Untouchable' which is a status you're given if enemies didn't hit you at all. Even losing a shield will void access to it and it changes your 'Immortal' score (read: don't die) from a 50k to a 75k bonus. Although it doesn't sound like much, it does add after the multiplier calculations.

For reference: my high score is somewhere in the 37.5 million mark (if memory serves) with all of what you listed + Untouchable + a time of little over or under 5 minutes. Be sure to check out the top score replays too if you haven't already.

I got this score a few moments ago:

cwsx7.jpg

As you said, collecting everything is important, so is not getting hit as well as Time. In terms of points, 100k is the max you can get for time. That may be one area you can improve. Around 4:30 should give you 100k.

I think the biggest thing we all have trouble with is the order of how we collect humans/kill enemies. I'm going to use these 2 gifs I uploaded as examples:

TintedKindlyHoneyeater-size_restricted.gif

ColdSparseBumblebee-size_restricted.gif

Same area. In the first gif, at the end of the level I scored about 830k. In the second gif, about 818k.

There's a Visitor on this level. There are different ways to tackle this. One, you can play "normal" meaning when you spawn, take care of the enemies in front of you, while you pick up the first human. Then work on the middle enemies and grab the human, then work your way on the right side and finish all remaining enemies.

A 2nd way to go about this is dash through the first set of enemies to grab then human then (without killing anyone else) work your way to the right side where that 3rd human is. When you're far enough on the right side, you'll trigger the Visitors while still having all the enemies on screen. Depending on what powerups or secondary weapon you have, you can kill the majority of the Visitors without killing all the enemies around you.

As you know, when killing Visitors, you'll get a MP token. When you grab this and the human that's next to you, THEN kill all the enemies around you, you'll notice a higher score.

I hope this wasn't confusing lol. I think a video might be better to explain.

But yea, think of different ways to beat a level. Can you grab a MP/human token before killing enemies? If you know a level can be beaten quickly, try saving all humans and THEN kill everyone. Of course, you should be keeping your combo while doing all of this. Not an easy task!

I'm currently #2 on Techno Forest if you would like to check out my run. I'm EspanaJeff. The score I posted above was during an Arcade run so that's not the score you see on the leaderboards.

Gustavoh

Neo Member
Mickey and Hispanicguy, thanks for the feedback! I did get the "Untouchable" bonus, I think. My time bonus, though, was around 80k, so that leaves me 20k short of max, which would account for about 500k (20k x 25 multiplier) of the 3 million still missing.

I did watch a couple of the top replays (after the patch, only a few are available to watch on PC), but I couldn´t notice anything significantly different that they were doing and that I wasn´t.

But Hispanicguy´s screenshot above made me realize I´m not getting to a 27x multiplier, I´m topping out at 25 ou 26x (that would account for 1.3/1.9 million, so we´re almost there, hehe). I do think I got all the yellow boxes, though. Is there any other more obscure factor that plays into how high/how fast your multiplier goes? Maybe using the standard weapon more than the special one? (I´m a powershot guy and use it all the time, hehe.)

I will also look into Hispanicguy´s tip about the order of how we collect humans and kill enemies. Judging from the example above, that might account for somewhere between 200k-500k over the course of the whole level.

On a side note, mad props to Housemarque! Game is absolutely incredible, and I´m only now realizing how much effort, depth, and complexity have gone into designing the levels and the scoring systems.

Mickey and Hispanicguy, thanks for the feedback! I did get the "Untouchable" bonus, I think. My time bonus, though, was around 80k, so that leaves me 20k short of max, which would account for about 500k (20k x 25 multiplier) of the 3 million still missing.

I did watch a couple of the top replays (after the patch, only a few are available to watch on PC), but I couldn´t notice anything significantly different that they were doing and that I wasn´t.

But Hispanicguy´s screenshot above made me realize I´m not getting to a 27x multiplier, I´m topping out at 25 ou 26x (that would account for 1.3/1.9 million, so we´re almost there, hehe). I do think I got all the yellow boxes, though. Is there any other more obscure factor that plays into how high/how fast your multiplier goes? Maybe using the standard weapon more than the special one? (I´m a powershot guy and use it all the time, hehe.)

I will also look into Hispanicguy´s tip about the order of how we collect humans and kill enemies. Judging from the example above, that might account for somewhere between 200k-500k over the course of the whole level.

On a side note, mad props to Housemarque! Game is absolutely incredible, and I´m only now realizing how much effort, depth, and complexity have gone into designing the levels and the scoring systems.

There's a hidden extra life token on 1-2 in the upper right hand corner where the grass is. Don't know if you got that. When you max out your lives, the next extra life token becomes a multiplier token.

Other than that, you know all the tricks. Now it's just a matter of putting it all together.

Reaching that 27x will definitely help you out.

Powershot is awesome, btw. My go to weapon. I've messed up many times picking up something else. I lose my rhythm.

In all likelihood, you may have missed 1UP tokens. Much like the additional multiplier icons that spawn (after being fully powered-up) once you fill up the bar in the bottom-left corner, 1UPs get replaced by those too if you manage to stay at 5 lives. Aside from that, it sounds like you've connected all the other dots.

It's possible to kill an enemy from the other side of a wall with the Powershot's small blast (the same with Smartbomb):

ArcticFortunateGadwall-size_restricted.gif

Just an fyi. You might not use it often but it's good to know that you can. That specific World and that specific path you see in the gif is the only time I use this. Can't stand those enemies, lol.

I think Machine City may be my favorite World. Took a few pictures of some signs:

xnsre.jpg

gvsj6.jpg

qqsd8.jpg

I just noticed that you can change the background clip that plays during the menus. Depending on what World you play in, it'll be that background. You can go to single world, choose and start any world, exit and you'll see the background change. Though that was pretty cool.

Got a new personal record on Experienced that put me in 2nd place.

https://youtu.be/3sJ-WcQiaQ4

Full combo (all humans, etc) and no death. Hands were shaking during TLB, lol. I think now I'm going to move on to Veteran and see what happens.

I had a fun time with the Sword on Master but got destroyed by Enforcer Prime. Not fun.

test_account

XP-39C²
The audio issue seems to be fixed. Played it for some hours after the latest patch, havnt had any problems.

Man, last boss
Nex Machina
is hard! Still havnt been able to beat it. Only gotten it down to maybe 60% health at best, and that is on Experience difficulty level. I did manage to beat the game on veteran though, i'm happy about that :)

EDIT: I just got the platinum trophy :) I thought one of the hidden trophies was to beat the boss i talked about above here, but when i checked the guide, it turned out to be
complete 5 stages in a row without moving (dashing is allowed)

The audio issue seems to be fixed. Played it for some hours after the latest patch, havnt had any problems.

Man, last boss
Nex Machina
is hard! Still havnt been able to beat it. Only gotten it down to maybe 60% health at best, and that is on Experience difficulty level. I did manage to beat the game on veteran though, i'm happy about that :)

EDIT: I just got the platinum trophy :) I thought one of the hidden trophies was to beat the boss i talked about above here, but when i checked the guide, it turned out to be
complete 5 stages in a row without moving (dashing is allowed)

Congrats! I still need the "finish a level without shooting" trophy. I thought you can get that by using dash explosion. I tried but nothing. May have to try again or do share play.

Yea, that boss is a pain. Have you been using your sub weapon? Does more damage than your normal laser. Dash Explosion works wonders on the boss as well ;)

Congrats on Veteran!! A different beast altogether when moving from Experienced to Veteran.

Fixing the audio issue was a blessing. Having no audio was a handicap.

I decided to try something different and go for a low level game. Ended up with just 2 mil at the end. Tried my best to not capture humans but ended up with maybe 5? And you can keep your multiplier at 1x throughout. If you pick up an MP token or go to 2x or above, you can let the enemy capture a human, which will empty out a large chunk of the bar and decrease your MP.

Will try again when I get home. No real point other than giving myself another goal to go after.

Been working on this game over the last day or so, I've managed to clear the game without continuing, but I failed against
Nex Machina

Any tips for the world 6 boss? Its second "phase" where it has the weird box/reticule around you really screwed me up and I don't know why. It seemed like I'd randomly die despite not seemingly get hit. I know I'm missing something, but in all the chaos of the fight it was hard to see exactly what was going on!

Amazing game though, I loved Resogun so much, this seems to be right up there in terms of quality and I can't wait for Matterfall next month :)

test_account

XP-39C²
Congrats! I still need the "finish a level without shooting" trophy. I thought you can get that by using dash explosion. I tried but nothing. May have to try again or do share play.

Yea, that boss is a pain. Have you been using your sub weapon? Does more damage than your normal laser. Dash Explosion works wonders on the boss as well ;)

Congrats on Veteran!! A different beast altogether when moving from Experienced to Veteran.

Fixing the audio issue was a blessing. Having no audio was a handicap.

I decided to try something different and go for a low level game. Ended up with just 2 mil at the end. Tried my best to not capture humans but ended up with maybe 5? And you can keep your multiplier at 1x throughout. If you pick up an MP token or go to 2x or above, you can let the enemy capture a human, which will empty out a large chunk of the bar and decrease your MP.

Will try again when I get home. No real point other than giving myself another goal to go after.
Thanks :) I just connected a 2nd controller for that trophy. That does of course require the access to a 2nd controller, so Share Play is indeed another option for that, i didnt think about that possibility.

Yeah, i've tried the subweapon too. My biggest problem (so far at least hehe) are those extra enemies. Having to take them out and dodging all the other stuff at the same time. Curious to how this boss is on Hero difficulty, must be crazy.

Definitelly takes some getting used to moving from Experienced to Veteran, indeed. I think the hardest difference for me (besides enemies moving faster) was The Architect, the left cannon that shots the orbs. This shoots noticeably faster, making it more difficult to dodge everything going on.

Yeah, very nice that the audio glitch is fixed :)

If you accidentally pick up a human, you can just die and the level will restart. This doesnt work on the bosses though, unless you use a continue.

Any tips for the world 6 boss? Its second "phase" where it has the weird box/reticule around you really screwed me up and I don't know why. It seemed like I'd randomly die despite not seemingly get hit. I know I'm missing something, but in all the chaos of the fight it was hard to see exactly what was going on!

You know the ground lasers that he throws at you during that phase? After the 5th one, that's when the laser around you goes in for the kill. If you know this timing, it may make things easier to dodge. Triple Dash is really helpful in this situation.

Detonator doesn't do much damage on the World 6 boss but it makes things "easier" in terms of dodging. It'll clear bullets for a second or 2 to help you regroup.

Yeah, i've tried the subweapon too. My biggest problem (so far at least hehe) are those extra enemies. Having to take them out and dodging all the other stuff at the same time. Curious to how this boss is on Hero difficulty, must be crazy.

Definitelly takes some getting used to moving from Experienced to Veteran, indeed. I think the hardest difference for me (besides enemies moving faster) was The Architect, the left cannon that shots the orbs. This shoots noticeably faster, making it more difficult to dodge everything going on.

Those big heads (that shoot out the smaller heads) that come out during the boss fight can be one shotted with dashing. Can be helpful but may make things harder with the laser they drop when they die. I try to concentrate on one side first before moving on to the other.

Also, I like to leave one of those heads alive while I'm attacking the boss. The phase won't change until the music changes (or until you kill that last head). Knowing this, you can get some extra damage in before the next phase.

I don't know how familiar you are with the song that plays during that fight but you'll be able to determine when the next phase will come.

The Architect is definitely the most annoying, especially on Veteran and above. If I get trapped in a corner I'll panic and keep triple dashing back and forth until I see a way out lol.

MrS

Banned
Hispanicguy is killing it with these scores. Great job!

Machine City is my favourite too. I'd pay for more levels/worlds like this.

You know the ground lasers that he throws at you during that phase? After the 5th one, that's when the laser around you goes in for the kill. If you know this timing, it may make things easier to dodge. Triple Dash is really helpful in this situation.

Detonator doesn't do much damage on the World 6 boss but it makes things "easier" in terms of dodging. It'll clear bullets for a second or 2 to help you regroup.

Thanks for the tips. I've got my deaths down to one death against this guy. Honestly, I think I had more issues not paying attention to the ground lasers more than anything! Now to brush up on my skills more and start learning veteran mode.

Wozman23

Game's been out for a month now, and no one ever told me they figured this out:

Has anyone found the Easter Egg here? - WOZ
- Not that I know of yet.

FYI:
I created broken links in the OT to give the unicode blocks multiple colors.
Each link contains two characters that string together to form a link.
The resulting link is: i.imgur .com/t7oiTID.png, which leads to:
t7oiTID.png

Also, if anyone want's a sneak peek at the Matterfall OT, I've got it up and running:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=233351166&postcount=13

Whereas this OT looks better in the dark GAF theme, I designed Matterfall around the light GAF theme.

(And don't go trying to look into its broken links, because they are all just actually broken.)

Genius! Best OT/best OT puzzle ever!

I would have never gotten that lol.

Looking good with Matterfall. Can't believe we are a few weeks away from ANOTHER Housemarque game!

Set a new score on Veteran tonight...but man, it's hard to get out of Techno Forest. It keeps messing me up. Got frustrated and just turned it off lol.

Wozman23

Genius! Best OT/best OT puzzle ever!

I would have never gotten that lol.

Looking good with Matterfall. Can't believe we are a few weeks away from ANOTHER Housemarque game!

Set a new score on Veteran tonight...but man, it's hard to get out of Techno Forest. It keeps messing me up. Got frustrated and just turned it off lol.

I'm ready for Matterfall. I took some time off Nex Machina after platinuming it to play some other games, and then I came back to it thinking I could set some high scores. Felt like I had two left hands. It's not like riding a bike.

After a few tries I've managed to clear Veteran difficulty. Weirdly the final boss was actually pretty straight forward, I didn't actually lose any lives to it
Nex Machina tore me apart though, only managed to take out 50% of her health)
. The 3rd, 4th and 5th bosses did give me some troubles, but on the whole I still managed to clear them with only losing a couple of lives, and since replacement lives are easy to come by in levels I never struggled to keep my head above water.

I wouldn't have been able to clear the game with continues though, I feel you get too depowered when continuing, it was actually more straight forward to 1CC it.

I'm only short 10 or so feats now for the platinum, absolutely loved this game, and so glad that Matterfall is only a couple of weeks away :) I'll get the rest of the feats and platinum Resogun again in the mean time!

After a few tries I've managed to clear Veteran difficulty. Weirdly the final boss was actually pretty straight forward, I didn't actually lose any lives to it
Nex Machina tore me apart though, only managed to take out 50% of her health)
. The 3rd, 4th and 5th bosses did give me some troubles, but on the whole I still managed to clear them with only losing a couple of lives, and since replacement lives are easy to come by in levels I never struggled to keep my head above water.

I wouldn't have been able to clear the game with continues though, I feel you get too depowered when continuing, it was actually more straight forward to 1CC it.

I'm only short 10 or so feats now for the platinum, absolutely loved this game, and so glad that Matterfall is only a couple of weeks away :) I'll get the rest of the feats and platinum Resogun again in the mean time!

Congrats! Veteran is quite the accomplishment.

Enforcer Prime and Architect are tough...especially Architect. That dude always pisses me off and can ruin a good run in a matter of seconds.

Congrats! Veteran is quite the accomplishment.

Enforcer Prime and Architect are tough...especially Architect. That dude always pisses me off and can ruin a good run in a matter of seconds.

Yeah, I feel I just got in the zone for the bosses. I could never effectively manage the smart bomb tactics (I prefer to fight at a distance) so I just came up with a tactic with the rocket launcher and dash explosion that worked well.

Thankfully I had some really easy feats left so I knocked those all out. I know have a nice shiny new platinum!

Grinchy

Banned
Why do I constantly feel like I press L1 to dash and it doesn't register the input (PC)?

I wish I could change dash to R3 or something. I saw that there were other button configurations but I only want to change that one thing.

Capra

Finally bought this amazing game.

I somehow managed to 1CC on Experienced after a horrendous first go. Felt pretty accomplished...
Until I got fucking wrecked by the surprise true final boss. How the fuck even?

This, and then Matterfall next month. Housemarque can own my fucking soul.

Just got a new personal best on Veteran. Puts me at #2 with 1,302,601,010.

Had a full human chain up until the last World AND I died twice. When I hear the words "Shield Lost" I break down emotionally, lol. I think I could have taken #1 if these things didn't happen.

The Architect on Veteran is a real pain. I decided I'm more comfortable using the Rocket Launcher for that fight. Does good damage and takes out the side turrets pretty quick. Lets me concentrate better on dashing/dodging. Others prefer Smartbomb since that adds more protection.

There were times I had to take a break from the game. Played it so much I got bored of it...but it's a game you can come back to at any time and have such a great experience.

How are you guys doing with progress? Anyone still on the fence on buying it?

Matterfall is right around the corner! Looking forward to that OT.

Castef

Banned
If the Steamspy numbers are reliable then Nex Machina on PC is not doing very well.

Today the PSN version received a discount. I wonder how the game is doing, overall.

CDV13

Finished my first playthrough. Used 17 continues. Last boss is ridiculous without triple dash. I thought I would never beat it Lol. Detonator is perfect against it thought.

Detonator might not do alot of damage to Supreme AI but it definitely helps with a clearing out enemy bullets!

Finally got the platinum. I was missing the trophy where you have to beat a level without using your gun. I've tried it before but it didn't work so I did it just now and was successful.

I think my most recent Platinums have been Nex, Matterfall and Resogun lol.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
So I played this for the first time last night and...all humans 'safed'? lmao

Really fun though. Completed Rookie and eager to jump back in.

Just reached Hero for the first time. Such crazy shit but fun.

I don't know how you can worry about your human combo AND avoid everything.

Smartbomb was the savior. I can't see anyone using anything but Smartbomb for Master/Hero. Maybe Sword? lol

With that, I'm top 10 in each difficulty, which means it's time for a break.

I hope they update Arena and put new modifiers soon. We are still in season 1 but I think 2 months is too long for this. Anywhere between 2 weeks and a month seems better.

Or maybe do a daily/weekly challenge.

If the in game time is correct, I've put over 200 hours lol. The game is just THAT good.

Small update came out that added new Arena challenges!

http://steamcommunity.com/app/404540/discussions/0/1473095331494064188/

Challenges
* Added challenge: Redline in Machine City - Everything moves faster in Machine City
* Added challenge: Redline in Future Labs - Future Labs Everything moves faster in Future Labs
* Added challenge: Redline in Space Station - Everything moves faster in Space Station
* Added challenge: Deadline in Techno Forest - Everything moves dead fast in Techno Forest
* Added challenge: Deadline in Crystal Mountain - Everything moves dead fast in Crystal Mountain

epmode

If anyone from Housemarque is reading this, I'd love an option to hide the mouse cursor in the PC version. It keeps reappearing in menus and loading screens and my third party mouse hiding program doesn't work with the game.

Capra

OK but can I just say how dumb it is that in a game where half the challenge of getting good is just memorization
Nex Machina
is the only boss that you don't get a chance to retry if you fail?

I can deal because replaying the game and seeing my score improve is satisfying in itself and I know this is like a "thing" with arcade-y games but it reeks of artificial padding.

This game is very fun and I love the music and the art style. But, one glaring issue to me is that a lot of the later encounters in arcade make triple dash seem like such a necessary ability and if you don't have it you are severely handicapped.

Top Bottom