• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice |OT| The Mid-Tier, in Limbo

TitusTroy

Watching the featurette, after completing the game, helped me to understand the story better. I wish I could've known some of those things as I was playing. I felt the story could have been made clearer, but perhaps it was Ninja Theory's intention to keep players in the dark (so to speak).

where is the featurette available?

pakkit

Banned
Watching the featurette, after completing the game, helped me to understand the story better. I wish I could've known some of those things as I was playing. I felt the story could have been made clearer, but perhaps it was Ninja Theory's intention to keep players in the dark (so to speak).

What was left unknown in the game?

Rated-G

I just bought this on PSN but an error occurred at checkout. I was charged, I have a receipt, the game shows up in my library, but I can’t download it. It still shows “Buy $29.99” and if I try to click that another error comes up saying “This product cannot be purchased at this time.”

Has anyone else had an issue like this? I’ve been trying to reach out to Sony and haven’t had any luck yet.

EDIT: Seems to be fixed. Restoring licenses and reactivating my PS4 as my primary didn’t work, but using the web store to remote download is finally letting me download it.

DirtyLarry

I just finished the game. Fucking masterpiece in every single regard.
I also will share I was not sold in the first 1-2 hours. Thought I made a mistake.
But hot damn was I wrong. It really is up there with one of the better stories/messages in a game yet.
I do think it is appropriate to call the game an experience more than a game, however the sword fighting was fantastic. I really, really would love for them to develop a straight action game based around it. However I fully understand that was not the point of the game whatsoever, and it was meant to be an experience as much as a game. And I am personally a okay with that. I get why some people would not be, but damn I thought it was perfect more or less.

My only critiques were once you get the hang of the puzzles and how they were implemented, they really were not very challenging. With that said I did think
the Odin challenges/puzzles once you got to the sword in the tree
were a pretty damn good challenge. I especially like how they played up on the senses.

One thing I will note, as I did not play with headphones on the entire time as I had to listen for shit in my house like the phone and my work email coming in (shhh), is that the sound based puzzles were actually way easier to deal with on my surround sound then with the headphones on. Reason being is the sound would directly come out of my center speaker so it was evident. With headphones it really was not as clear, so I do reiterate for those who do have headphones and may not have played it yet, wear them if you can. It is a different experience. A harder one at that.

I am very, very glad I took a risk. Especially when I read about the potential of perma death, I was super skeptical as my time is limited these days, but it never even was a concern.

Just a brilliant example of what the medium itself can be.

EDIT - And I just watched the Featurette. I already knew going in the game was about psychosis, it is one of the reasons I decided to purchase it as I was very interested in seeing how they portrayed it, but holy shit. Just blown away by the dedication of the team to do it justice. Makes it even that much better. And I thought for sure Senua was an established actor. So damn cool she is the video editor on the team. That is astounding to me as she literally makes the game. Without her I am not sure it is anywhere near as effective. Wow.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Finished the game earlier today, didn't think anything could top Horizon for me this year and then this game proved me wrong! What an amazing audio/visual experience. The
Sea of Corpses
and the music track for it, Gramr, is gonna stick with me for a while.

Humdinger

What was left unknown in the game?

It's been a few days since I watched it, but from what I can remember, it was a variety of little stuff that built the context for what was happening. For instance, the fact that Senua came from a 9th century tribe called the Pix (?). Or that the tribe was invaded by Vikings. In the game, all of that felt like internal references. I did not "get" the external context in which it was happening. Or the fact that her father was a Druid. Or the fact that Dillion was strung up in a way that particular to the invading tribe. Or even that Senua was not psychotic before Dillion was killed. Heck, I wasn't even clear until either the last minutes of the game or the featurette (I'm not sure which) that Senua wasn't trying to save Dillion's soul, as she kept saying, but literally trying to bring him back from the dead. I also had only a vague understanding of the relationship between Senua's tribe and all the Norse mythology. I didn't understand the connection. I also felt I had a better handle on who Druth was, after the featurette.

So it was stuff like that. Other things too, that are slipping my mind.

I felt like replaying it. I thought I might have a somewhat different experience, the second time, because I had a clearer grasp of the players and context (plus I could breeze through the puzzles). I haven't done that yet, but I'm considering.

TitusTroy

Finished the game earlier today, didn't think anything could top Horizon for me this year and then this game proved me wrong! What an amazing audio/visual experience. The
Sea of Corpses
and the music track for it, Gramr, is gonna stick with me for a while.

better then Horizon Zero Dawn?!?!...has to be an exaggeration right?...prisoner of the moment?

NeoRaider

They just released first patch on Steam:

Today we’re happy to release a bug fixing patch for Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice that resolves a range of issues reported since launch. The patch includes fixes across potential progression stopping issues, audio, localisation, combat, gameplay and photo mode. In addition to bug fixes we have also made some small combat gameplay tweaks and added Russian subtitles to the Hellblade feature.

We are continuing to monitor reports of issues in Hellblade and will be working on additional fixes for future updates. In particular we are investigating performance issues that players with AMD GPUs are seeing and are working towards a fix as quickly as we can. Please send any bug reports to support@hellblade.com

We’ll keep you updated on new patch news and thanks for all of the support so far!

Full patch notes:

Patch 1.01 Release Notes

Summary: A bug fixing patch that addresses a range of bugs identified since launch. The patch fixes issues across general gameplay, combat, photo mode, localisation and audio. Notable issues resolved by the patch include:

Fixed a potential progression stopping bug in the Fenrir Cave by the ‘M’ rune door puzzle.
Fixed a potential progression stopping bug in Fenrir Cave due to check pointing after skipping a lit region.
Fixed potential progression stopping bug in Fenrir Cave if player fails to collect floor rune after combat and subsequently dies.
Fixed collision issues that could allow players to unintentionally exit the game world.
Various subtitle localisation fixes across a number of languages.
Fixed an issue where key bindings and run toggle were not being saved between game sessions on PC.
Fixed an issue where the menu would not load on start up on PC.

In addition to bug fixes, combat gameplay has been tweaked and Russian subtitles added to the Hellblade feature.

Full Patch Notes:

Fixed a crash that could happen if two Keep Guard enemies are standing close to each other and one dies.
Russian subtitles for the Hellblade feature have been added.
Fixed an issue where the audio would be out of sync with the Hellblade feature if it has been paused for an extended period of time.
Fixed an issue where the Baldr Masks in the Tower Shard level are white on the inside.
Fixed scenarios resulting in unlit geometry after reloading from checkpoint.
Fixed a potential progression stopping bug in the Fenrir Cave by the ‘M’ rune door puzzle.
Fixed potential progression stopping bug in Fenrir Cave due to check pointing after skipping a lit region.
Fixed potential progression stopping bug in Fenrir Cave if player fails to collect floor rune after combat and subsequently dies.
Fixed collision issues that could allow players to unintentionally exit the game world.
Fixed audio cut-out issues.
Added audio cues for hidden faces.
Fixed audio hard cut at the end of various cut scenes.
Fixes for audio lip sync issues.
Audio balancing fixes.
Various subtitle localisation fixes across a number of languages.

Combat tweaks:

Global
- Adjusted automatic difficulty enemy health scaling and Senua’s damage taken/given modifiers.

Senua
- Increased damage value of certain combo finisher attacks.
- Adjusted rate of combat focus resource build-up in Hard difficulty mode or higher.
- Fixed issue with stinger animated cameras popping if the same attack was repeated.

Warrior Enemy
- Warriors now have an increased chance of evading certain heavy attacks.
- Fixed missing sound effects on certain reactions.

Protector Enemy
- Health values have been lowered.
- Will now remain vulnerable for longer after his shield guard has been broken.

Keep Guard Enemy
- Fixed a potential crash bug if Keep Guard enemies are standing close together and one of them dies.
- Tweaked rotation rate during certain attack windups.
- Fixed missing sound effects on certain attacks.

Surtr
- Fixed an issue where Surtr was able to throw Senua outside of the arena.

Valravn
- Fixed an issue where Valravn could not be damaged while in Focus for certain combos.
- Parried projectiles will now remove shadow state on hit.

Fenrir
- Health values have been adjusted.
- Fixed issue where certain attack were not dealing damage correctly to Fenrir.

Revenant Enemy
- Adjusted slide properties for certain attacks.
- Adjusted cooldown for parry and evade defensive actions.
- Parried projectiles will now remove shadow state on hit.

Photo Mode
- Fixed an issue where motion blur is applied to object incorrectly during Photo Mode.
- Removed the second slider that did nothing when cycling through the Effects tab.

PC Only fixes

Fixed an issue where altering master volume would cause no audio to be played during the intro.
Fixed the lack of vibration with the Steam Controller for the Blindness level
Fixed an issue where key bindings and run toggle were not being saved between game sessions
Fixed an issue where looking around with the mouse during the boat intro was not working.
Fixed an issue where Focus was not able to be assigned to another key.
Fixed an issue where tabbing out during cut scenes would cause audio to go out of sync.
Fixed an issue where the menu would not load on start up.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
better then Horizon Zero Dawn?!?!...has to be an exaggeration right?...prisoner of the moment?
Horizon has the better gameplay mechanics and is the more fleshed out game. The story and acting of Hellblade though just resonated with me more than Horizon.

just finished the game and got the platinum

it's a piece of shit with a garbage medal of approval

the pros of this abomination:

+ The price, pretty sure it's why it got these scores, NT were smart, they knew the game is a piece of shit so they lowered the price because otherwise it will end up like TO1886

+ the combat is good, but it's very VERY repetitive

+ it's short, that's the BEST thing about the game, i don't want to suffer anymore of this horrible game

+ the bosses are okay

and that's it for the pros of this shit hole

now the cons, oh boy

- the environment look the same

- the graphics is weird, Senua's character model looks good, but everything else looks blurry and like a ps3 game

- the enemies, there is like only 5 or 6 type of enemies

- the walking, WTF is wrong with the developers ?? did they play their game ?? and i thought Uncharted 4 had too much walking, the game is like 5 hours long of "gameplay", more than 4 fucking hours you will spend walking around, this is a walking simulator

- the combat is so fucking repetitive

- there is nothing to collect except for the lorestones, which are just stones that when you look at, you hear more of the story, so there is nothing useful to collect, NOTHING

- there is only 1 weapons, the sword, no gears, no armor, just nothing,

- the "puzzles", probably the most boring part about this piece of shit of a game, all you do is find a door with symbols, and you have to find an object through the environment that resembles the symbols and the door will open, you will do this A LOT

- the music, what music ?? there was no music in this game at all except at the final level

-the story is garbage and put you to sleep

- no progression for Senua's abilities

- the game has no replay value

- all the NPC's that will whisper to you are real life people recorded and put into the game because the developers are too lazy

- the Pacing, one of the worst i have ever seen, this is how i would sum up the game, walk and people whisper to you, find a door with symbols to unlock, fight the same enemies and repeat

- the main character does nothing but screams, should have called the game "Hellblade: Senua's Screams"

what a piece of shit that i wouldn't even pay 10$ for, i wouldn't play it again even if the company pays me 100$, it was torture, it's like when they were making the game, the CEO of NT tried it and was like " What the fuck is this ?? just cut the price to 30$ because no sane person would buy it if they knew how the game is"

i really appreciate the price, i really do, they were honest about how bad their game is, they didn't scam us like The order 1886

my overall score for Hellblade: Senua's Walking and screaming simulator is a 3\10

wouldn't recommend this shit to anyone, even if it's free
, don't play it unless you want an easy platinum, in fact, i was about to quit playing it, but the platinum was too easy so i decided to suffer for few hours and get an easy platinum

This was hilarious to read. I don't even know if you meant it to be so.

Had no desire to keep playing after 2hours, what a boring ass game. Holy shit that combat and puzzles are so bad. I expected more at least from the combat from these devs.

All of those patch notes seem sound. Good that they lowered the health values of some of the enemies. It didn’t bother me that much in the big scheme of things, but I did feel a couple of the enemies were a bit damage spongy, even on lower difficulty.

Looks like they fixed the thing that tripped up Jim Sterling and caused his game to be unwinnable. (don't know if that fixes his save game).

Huh...I guess I was hitting that Fenrir attack bug. I'd just assumed that I had to open my attacks with a "Triangle button" charge attack to get them to register. some of the whispers leading to that fight kind of support that.

Humdinger

I thought the game mentioned that Senua
had the mental illness develop at a young age? Like 5 years old
?

From what I remember, they said in the doc. that she was vulnerable and predisposed to psychosis, but it was Dillion's death that caused the break.

This was hilarious to read. I don't even know if you meant it to be so.

My favorite line: "The graphics is weird."

This is pretty good, too, because of how little sense it makes on multiple levels: "All the NPC's that will whisper to you are real life people recorded and put into the game because the developers are too lazy."

TitusTroy

xviper hates it? Pretty much means I'll like it. I still can't tell if he's as stupid as his posts suggest or if he's actually just a committed troll. It's kind of a wonder he hasn't been banned yet.

looks like he has been banned...every game needs some good troll posts to balance the positive reviews :D

pakkit

Banned
From what I remember, they said in the doc. that she was vulnerable and predisposed to psychosis, but it was Dillion's death that caused the break.

I don't think that's right. She's already "cursed with the darkness" and is blamed for all sorts of societal ills. She's on the path to recovery, however, having gone on a spiritual walk in the forest, when she comes home to find Dillion splayed open. So I think she is triggered into a much deeper psychosis, where she has to literally fight her way out so that she can come to terms with the trauma around her.

Tareskog

Bought it yesterday and finishing it a couple of hours ago. One of my definitely favorite gaming experience this year. Loved it. Fantastic acting and atmosphere. I agree that walking seems tedious sometines, but just hold that run button, press pause, and then resume. That toggled on/off running for me.

I really hope other developers can lay such amount of work into bringing the gritty norse feel into games to come... Damn I want a remake of Rune...

Humdinger

I don't think that's right. She's already "cursed with the darkness" and is blamed for all sorts of societal ills. She's on the path to recovery, however, having gone on a spiritual walk in the forest, when she comes home to find Dillion splayed open. So I think she is triggered into a much deeper psychosis, where she has to literally fight her way out so that she can come to terms with the trauma around her.

Hm, ok. I interpreted that differently than you did.

From what I understood, she had signs or symptoms of psychosis -- psychotic features, you might say -- and a predisposition or vulnerability to full-blown psychosis -- but it was not yet full-blown -- prior to the Dillion trauma, and that sent her over the edge.

Jyester

Finished it tonight. Without a doubt one of the best games I'll play this year, and a unique experience that makes me happy to be a gamer. The performances in this game are off the charts. Senua is so fierce, yet fragile.. it's intense how the game makes you a part of her struggle.

I've never been more on edge playing a video game - a testament to a perfect combination of visuals, storytelling, and the looming threat of permadeath.

This was my first Team Ninja Ninja Theory game, and this game took me completely by surprise. Incredible.

Neith

Banned
They just released first patch on Steam:

This is why I will never play a game not an MP game on release probably ever again. Unless it is some kind of old style indie.

These fixes I need these fixes! This goes triple if the game is open world.

Also, I am still finishing Enslaved on PC and I love it. Looks gorgeous in 4K. Don't have a wink of time for this one, but I will support them at the 20 dollar range.

Scoops312

Banned
To those that collected all the Lore Stones, what on your thoughts on
Senua's father being responsible for the Northmen finding her village.

I'm not a fan of that. It makes sense in story that
the man in the black robe is the real darkness and not Senua's illness. Plus, it's meant to further drive home the point that her father and Druth are really two sides of the same coin; Druth was captured and forced into leading the Northmen to more slaves/ Zynbel gave up his countrymen of his own free will, Druth used Myths to build up Senua/ Zynbel used them to tear her down, and Druth used fire as his liberation/ Zynbel used it for control. I like those parts but I felt the story didn't really need Zynbel to be responsible for everything and that it smacked of prequel trilogy turning Darth Vader from a important part of a large story to the puzzle piece that fits everything together.
Obviously, this is no where near as bad as that but it still dampened my experience in the end.

How did everyone else take that part?

Just heard about this game and had a lot of PayPal money from selling old humble bundle keys so I figured I'd pick it up. Looks very impressive given it's small team. I do my PC gaming from my couch and don't own a set of wireless headphones. Do I really need headphones to get the full experience with this game? Would a good set of surround speakers be an adequate substitute?

Drewfonse

Just heard about this game and had a lot of PayPal money from selling old humble bundle keys so I figured I'd pick it up. Looks very impressive given it's small team. I do my PC gaming from my couch and don't own a set of wireless headphones. Do I really need headphones to get the full experience with this game? Would a good set of surround speakers be an adequate substitute?

I highly recommend headphones.

I'm playing with higher end earbuds, and even that is astonishing.

Humdinger

I'm kinda interested in this. What type of game is it? A hack n slash like God of War/Heavenly Sword?

No. It has combat, but the majority of the game involves navigating Senua, a girl with psychosis, through a world that is some mixture of reality and hallucination/delusion. It's very hard to describe, because I've never played another game like it. Gameplay is a mixture of combat, puzzle solving, narrative, and exploration/navigation.

p.s. Try this:

https://youtu.be/uakR4OCpoGs

pakkit

Banned

the man in the black robe is the real darkness and not Senua's illness. Plus, it's meant to further drive home the point that her father and Druth are really two sides of the same coin; Druth was captured and forced into leading the Northmen to more slaves/ Zynbel gave up his countrymen of his own free will, Druth used Myths to build up Senua/ Zynbel used them to tear her down, and Druth used fire as his liberation/ Zynbel used it for control. I like those parts but I felt the story didn't really need Zynbel to be responsible for everything and that it smacked of prequel trilogy turning Darth Vader from a important part of a large story to the puzzle piece that fits everything together.
Obviously, this is no where near as bad as that but it still dampened my experience in the end.

I thought it left some room for revenge in a sequel, since it suggests that Zynbel is still alive.

Humdinger

I felt that it piled up the big, bad, abusive father motif a little high. But I went with it.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
What an incredible game. I haven't felt a connection to a character like this since The Last Of Us.

I can't believe the actress behind Senua was the team's video editor.

And the representation of mental illness was important and compelling.

Bravo Ninja Theory.

Top Bottom