• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crackdown 3 delayed to Spring 2018

We'll never get exact numbers but it feels like the money tossed at this train wreck pales in comparison to the money that would have been necessary to keep scalebound or fable going till release.

Not sure I agree with that. Platinum is a mid-sized studio who's able to put out most games with surprising speed and efficiency. Crackdown 3 has, I believe, four studios working on it including unprecedented cloud technology that's never been seen in videogames before. Plus developing games in the UK is, I would assume, more expensive than developing in Japan.

I really hate to say this but Scalebound, despite being so annoyingly edgy, seems like a more interesting game than what I've seen so far for Crackdown 3.

Oh well...

Don't be ashamed to say it at all. I agree with you whole heartedly. Plus, Platinum has a MUCH better track record, so giving Scalebound a much highly chance of being good, even if the game narrative/characters were edgelord-fodder.

Spring 2018 is a big leap of faith given the amount of polish this game still needs. Winter 2018/19 seems likely. The game footage looked terrible.

Mods are individuals too, no? Are they not allowed to have their personal platform preferences?

There's no need to project the opinions of a forum mod across the entire membership of a forum gaming community. People here on gaf routinely disagree with and debate mods on a plethora of matters.

Where I have said they not allowed personal preferences? I haven't. It's how some people go about that preference is my point.

Not sure I agree with that. Platinum is a mid-sized studio who's able to put out most games with surprising speed and efficiency. Crackdown 3 has, I believe, four studios working on it including unprecedented cloud technology that's never been seen in videogames before. Plus developing games in the UK is, I would assume, more expensive than developing in Japan.

I believe you're likely 99% correct.

Apathy

It's early in the morning I need to rewrite my post. I meant the money tossed at this is probably a lot compared to them just letting scalebound finish as that would have been less

Where I have said they not allowed personal preferences? I haven't. It's how some people go about that preference is my point.

I was speaking to the point you were responding to, about Gaf not being a hivemind.

How some mods may or may not have expressed their personal preference on twitter wasn't really my concern.

Is it fair to say Loftis has taken Spencer's role at 1st party lead?

If so, is there a comprehensive list of the output of both at the same role, so we can compare the output of Microsoft 1st party?

I really feel, and it's only a feeling as I don't have enough material in hands to compare, that under Loftis' management, the output has been worse and the cancellation and sales flops rates have been higher.

UCBooties

In isolation this feels like it was probably the right move. They barely showed it at E3 and then when they promotional streams and B-roll were released they started getting hammered on how poor the single-player looked. Crackdown needs to feel big and loud and kinetic and based on the footage it's just not there yet.

I have some doubts about whether the extra time will really allow them to deliver on the game's potential, but that's down to not knowing why the game is in the state it's in. If they need more time to polish and add assets and tune the feel, cool. If the engine just can't handle the type stuff they need in order to make the game big and fun then obviously another six years aren't really going to help.

As an indicator of the health of Microsoft's games division and their ability to manage a stable of studios and produce consistent first-party work? Jesus Christ, guys...

If so, is there a comprehensive list of the output of both at the same role, so we can compare the output of Microsoft 1st party?

I really feel, and it's only a feeling as I don't have enough material in hands to compare, that under Loftis' management, the output has been worse and the cancellation and sales flops rates have been higher.

Loftis works with external studios.

Phil manages internal franchise studios.

Other than one of the Forzas, what is XBX releasing with that's an exclusive?

Delays are part of the game, Sony's been doing it with half of their games, for MS it's just more apparent in this case due to probably having the worst year I can remember from a console in terms of exclusive output. If Halo makes it next year, it will be a damn good year for MS presuming many of these games hit their potential.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
People shoud really stop taking Phil's tweets at face value now.

I stopped taking them at face value when he said the infamous Soon comment about pre-orders on July 25th, even if that's my definition of soon vs. his. I don't base it on this tweet because things might have looked better for that issue back in March than now.

they probably didn't want to tarnish the XB1X with a crappy game like that and rather push Forza a game that actually looks good to sell their high end console.

I can get people saying that delays are good for a game.... but the problems reported for this game seem like they will take more than 6 months to resolve. Boring environments, bland gameplay that feels last gen, etc. Not bad frame rate. They aren't going to rework this game from the ground up in 6 months.

I was speaking to the point you were responding to, about Gaf not being a hivemind.

How some mods may or may not have expressed their personal preference on twitter wasn't really my concern.

Well if it's not your concern, why did you ask me about it then? Particularly when I never questioned their right to a preference in the first place. I question how some go about that preference when in some cases their behaviour isn't any better than what they have banned some individuals for.

I can get people saying that delays are good for a game.... but the problems reported for this game seem like they will take more than 6 months to resolve. Boring environments, bland gameplay that feels last gen, etc. Not bad frame rate. They aren't going to rework this game from the ground up in 6 months.

agreed. they just didn't want to associate such a bad looking game with their high end console. wouldn't surprise me if they don't even try to fix it anymore, just send it out to die later.

Loftis works with external studios.

Phil manages internal franchise studios.

Phil used to manage all 1st party output, no?
"Spencer served as general manager of Microsoft Game Studios EMEA, working with Microsoft's European developers and studios such as Lionhead Studios and Rare until 2008, when he became the general manager of Microsoft Studios"

In late March 2014, Satya Nadella announced in a corporate e-mail that Spencer was to "lead the Xbox, Xbox Live, Xbox Music and Xbox Video teams, and Microsoft Studios"

And now he is head of Xbox AND Microsoft Studios? Well, then I think it's safe to say that all the mess and bad output is on him.

Time to jump ship, I guess.

Here is Loftis' history at MS

https://m.imgur.com/EYl2QrU

At least 2018 should be a better year for their portfolio.

Crackdown 3
Ori 2
State of Decay 2
Forza Horizon 4 (most likely)
Halo 6 (maybe not? Usually announced a year before)
Sea of Thieves

That's six possible games that could be slated for 2018, if they are able to expand on that it would be a miracle for their output. E3 will certainly be interesting next year.

Vinc

Crackdown 3
Ori 2
State of Decay 2
Sea of Thieves

That's six possible games that could be slated for 2018, if they are able to expand on that it would be a miracle for their output. E3 will certainly be interesting next year.

I feel like that's been their "next year lineup" for the last 74 years now. And I still can't say I find it that exciting, personally. Hope Halo 6 is a gamechanger for the series, though.

Crackdown 3
Ori 2
State of Decay 2
Sea of Thieves

Out of these, only Ori2 and State of Decay 2 excite me BUT I don't think we have seen enough of State of Decay 2 to really have any indication if it's going to be good or terrible.

Raide

Crackdown 3
Ori 2
State of Decay 2
Sea of Thieves

They should drop the money and get Anthem exclusive for 2018, or do the reverse Destiny and get exclusive content. I know they hate the idea of buying exclusives but they may as well if they want to but out the release list.

EmiPrime

They should drop the money and get Anthem exclusive for 2018, or do the reverse Destiny and get exclusive content. I know they hate the idea of buying exclusives but they may as well if they want to but out the release list.

The Xbox division doesn't have that kind of money and third parties aren't going to be interested anyway.

d5Qhpnt.jpg

This year looks weak no doubt about it, but id rather they delay it then release it with problems. Its not ideal, but its the right thing to do.

I personally loved the first crackdown and this one did nothing for me. Hopefully they do enough to get me excited again.

N7.Angel

Crackdown 3
Ori 2
State of Decay 2
Sea of Thieves

If they push everything to 2019, what an amazing year it'll be in 2019 for Xbox, best lineup in history easily for them.

Madness

This is too good... They stop securing third party exclusives to shore uo first party support. Aside from Halo, Gears and Forza we haven't seen any major MS game in years. Fable has become some weird f2p card game, almost all Rare properties have gone unused aside from Rare Replay which didn't even include Conker: Live and Reloaded. Crackdown which was announced 3 plus years ago to highlight the power of the Microsoft cloud looked horrendous and is now delayed again. Games like Scalebound cancelles altogether. But wait, here is a $500 console this year with no real major exclusives to use it with.

MisterR

MS isn't going to fund the Xbox division to spend that kind of money at this point. There is a reason that they have lost all the major marketing deals to Sony.

This is too good... They stop securing third party exclusives to shore uo first party support. Aside from Halo, Gears and Forza we haven't seen any major MS game in years. Fable has become some weird f2p card game, almost all Rare properties have gone unused aside from Rare Replay which didn't even include Conker: Live and Reloaded. Crackdown which was announced 3 plus years ago to highlight the power of the Microsoft cloud looked horrendous and is now delayed again. Games like Scalebound cancelles altogether. But wait, here is a $500 console this year with no real major exclusives to use it with.

Yeah but for me, it will be my primary console from here on out for 3rd parties so its still worth it. Destiny2, battlefront2 and assassins creed im all buying on Xbox X and im sure a lot of other people will do the same.

kiguel182

These only serve as an attempt to cover the cracks for Microsoft.

What cracks? Exclusive games?

Their Early Acess program is bringing PUGB this fall, which is a much bigger title than Crackdown 3.

First party wise Sony had a big hit with Horizon this year but their output is, usually, less successful than third party games. They had value to the console if you like the games but well, so do the services Microsoft offers.

While I think Microsoft’s management of first party studios is bad I don’t think their platform is on fire since it does surpass the Playstarion ecosystem in other areas.

And I know, exclusive games might be more important to some people but both platforms have a ton of games to play and tastes vary so some exclusives might be more important than others too.

Raide

MS isn't going to fund the Xbox division to spend that kind of money at this point. There is a reason that they have lost all the major marketing deals to Sony.

Sony had the unit advantage and spent a load of cash to get marketing rights. Intelligence business. SONY saw it worked for MS in the 360 days and it makes sense they would do the same now.

Sony had the unit advantage and spent a load of cash to get marketing rights. Intelligence business. SONY saw it worked for MS in the 360 days and it makes sense they would do the same now.

Yeah, i think its pointless to spend all that money on a battle you wont win. The generation is done. Right now, MS should ideally be working on exclusives deals for next gen. And if theyre not doing that right now, they need to wake up.

Going to go against the grain here...ms canceling a major first party title and delaying another huge first party title shows they have some quality control and care about the end product

Without mentioning names there are a few major first party titles from another console that could of done with a bullet or more time in the oven

In saying that...oct/nov is stacked from a third party point of view...releasing a first party title in spring 2018 gives ot some legroom

Going to be enjoying battlefront...destiny2 and forza until then

Raide

Yeah, i think its pointless to spend all that money on a battle you wont win. The generation is done. Right now, MS should ideally be working on exclusives deals for next gen. And if theyre not doing that right now, they need to wake up.

Hopefully that is what they are doing but most won't really hold out any hope of that. If they are making deals now, next Gen will be in 3 years I guess, which is enough time to build AAA ip from the ground up.

Getting hard to keep on hoping they have stuff in the pipeline.

Hopefully that is what they are doing but most won't really hold out any hope of that. If they are making deals now, next Gen will be in 3 years I guess, which is enough time to build AAA ip from the ground up.

Getting hard to keep on hoping they have stuff in the pipeline.

understandable, and im sure theyre feeling the pressure right now

Top Bottom