• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puyo Puyo Tetris English demo now available on the Switch eShop

Is playing Tetris against Zed a recipe for sure defeat? My brother was observing what was happening in Zed's field and apparently whenever I hit him with Tetrises, the garbage blocks more often then not have a slot where an I-block can fit, and he almost always gets an I-block immediately after he gets hit with a Tetris.

I played against Jay and Elle (are they supposed to be harder?) and just steamrollered them easily, but I can't beat Zed no matter how well or aggressively I play.

My god I am so bad. I watched all the tutorials and still can't win a single match. I wish there was a solo option so I had time to teach myself the basics better, but I guess that would defeat the purpose of it being a demo. The trash blocks ruin me every time.

I'll probably buy the full game and force myself to get better.

Kouriozan

If it's like how I learned to play Panel de Pon/Puzzle League, just watch skilled players and try to do easy combo at first like 2/3 chains.
Then one day it'll "click" and you'll be making huge progress.

That how it happened for me with PdP and Puyo Puyo, granted everyone learn stuff differently but practising easy combos should always be good.

I don't get Puyo Puyo. Is the trick to chain?

The AI destroys me.

You want to be setting up chains - in Puyo, the total amount of garbage you send rises exponentially with chain count (until it starts flattening out once you make over 10 chains)

yM3dGel.png

Bonus
You might be wondering why you should even bother chaining past 6 since that guarantees you fill up their entire board with garbage, and indeed in Mean Bean Machine / Kirby's Avalanche this is the case.

In Puyo Puyo 2, they added a new mechanic called neutralizing - you can cancel out any garbage in the tray above your field with your own chains at a 1:1 exchange, and any additional chain power is countered and sent to the opponent's field. Play defense with your own chains!

Bonus #2
Due to the exponential rise in garbage, the player who attacks first tends to be at a disadvantage, since during the time it takes for your chain to resolve, your opponent has time to build an even bigger chain to counterattack, and anything you could build to counter the counter is probably going to be super weak. What you should do instead is observe your opponent's build for weaknesses, and harass them with small chains to punish them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVORkRFZt3I

I think the tutorials are lame.
I dunno why they're just videos instead of actual practice games.

Supposedly the story mode sort of functions as a tutorial in some ways because it teaches you how to play properly.

I wouldn't stress losing too much based off the demo.

XaosWolf

Does the final game have just a solo Tetris/Puyo Puyo mode? Where I can sort of go for a high score type deal?

As long as you're not looking for a Tetris DS or Puyo Puyo 20th amount of modes, yes.

All the basics of each series are there (including Endless)

- Full list of non-VS modes -
- Puyo Puyo -
Endless Puyo
Endless Fever
Mini Puyo

- Tetris -
Marathon
Sprint
Ultra

As long as you're not looking for a Tetris DS or Puyo Puyo 20th amount of modes, yes.

- Puyo Puyo -
Endless Puyo
Endless Fever
Mini Puyo

- Tetris -
Marathon
Sprint
Ultra
Came here wondering this too so thanks. Bit of a dilemma though: it's my last day in Japan and I'm not sure whether to pick the game up today (for 1200 yen less than on the eShop) or wait for the US version and save even more money, but I'd really like the Japanese voices and i don't know if anything's been said on whether the language option will be there?

- Puyo Puyo -
Endless Puyo
Endless Fever
Mini Puyo

- Tetris -
Marathon
Sprint
Ultra

Alright cool. I'm not really interested in most other modes in the game, I just want to be able to play unlimited Puyo Puyo/Tetris while listening to some podcasts.

jariw

Will definitely get the full Puyo Poyo Tetris game after having played the demo. It loads quickly, and the full version seems to have a lot of content.

While playing it, my thought was also that I hope we get Tumblestone in a Switch version. It's a bit similar to Poyo Poyo Tetris in a sense - addicting, but with more fresh ideas and excellent rubber banding. Played that game a lot on local multiplayer on the Wii U, and it would fit so well with the built-in 2-player controls on the Switch.

FSLink

Banned
Came here wondering this too so thanks. Bit of a dilemma though: it's my last day in Japan and I'm not sure whether to pick the game up today (for 1200 yen less than on the eShop) or wait for the US version and save even more money, but I'd really like the Japanese voices and i don't know if anything's been said on whether the language option will be there?

They confirmed no JPN voices for the US release.

I'd say pick it up, it's pretty easy to play and there's translation guides for the menus if you can't read Japanese.

joker3782

Neo Member
I am loving this game. Been playing it non stop against my sister who now kicks my ass in the tetris mode. I've got her number (sometimes) in the puyo puyo mode so playing the swap mode gets really intense. Definitely getting this day one.

nahlakhai

What store? I'm here for a few more days and I think I want the Japanese version as well.

Berordn

So I triggered the MP glitch yesterday and tried fusion. Then I watched some high level play of it.

I'm now terrified of Fusion and have NO idea what's going on.

Tyeforce

So I triggered the MP glitch yesterday and tried fusion. Then I watched some high level play of it.

I'm now terrified of Fusion and have NO idea what's going on.
How exactly did you manage to trigger it? I just found out about it and I've been trying the instructions posted here on the previous page, but I can't manage to make it work.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
this may be my first japanese purchase. Very disappointed in the US voices (and no JPN option available)

Fireblend

Banned
I actually don't mind the english voices. I do wish there was a toggle though. Can't imagine it's something that'd be too difficult to include specially if there's alternate voices integrated in the game though :( I do like me some TEHTUHRIS.

Tyeforce

Do you have four joycons? Doesn't seem to work with the default two
Yeah. I have four Joy-Con connected, with the first two being paired as Player 1. I go into a multiplayer mode with the first two Joy-Con paired together, press the SL and SR buttons on one of them to unpair (not Z buttons, as the original instructions mistakenly say), and immediately cancel. I've tried it numerous times but it doesn't trigger the glitch, unfortunately.

joesiv

Bonus
You might be wondering why you should even bother chaining past 6 since that guarantees you fill up their entire board with garbage, and indeed in Mean Bean Machine / Kirby's Avalanche this is the case.

In Puyo Puyo 2, they added a new mechanic called neutralizing - you can cancel out any garbage in the tray above your field with your own chains at a 1:1 exchange, and any additional chain power is countered and sent to the opponent's field. Play defense with your own chains!
Additionally, in Kirby's Avalanche, if I remember correctly, if you have an active group in the process of exploding, the garbage blocks will wait to drop. You can usually keep them from blocking a long time, while you flip pieces to setup a return chain. If your opponent doesn't manage their current pacing of grouping, they'll lose, even though they sent more garbage sooner to you.

It gets hectic!

I remember buying Puyo Puyo Fever for DS and hating the voices back then. C'mon Sega. Don't you know us kids that love your weird Japanese games are cool with the original voices by now?

Berordn

Yeah. I have four Joy-Con connected, with the first two being paired as Player 1. I go into a multiplayer mode with the first two Joy-Con paired together, press the SL and SR buttons on one of them to unpair (not Z buttons, as the original instructions mistakenly say), and immediately cancel. I've tried it numerous times but it doesn't trigger the glitch, unfortunately.

You have to push cancel (A or down) right as you're pushing L/R. The game will continue and prompt you as though you selected to continue, cancel out of the number of players prompt and you'll be able to select the other three modes in the multiplayer menu. If you time it perfectly, you won't actually separate P1's Joycon set (though there are times where it'll still work after you do, not too sure on those).

After I figured out the timing I've been able to trigger it perfectly every time. Been staging fusion matches with two dummy players so I can go up against the CPU.

Dranakin

No need for a demo. Already pre-ordered just based on it being Puyo Puyo.

That said, I pre-ordered it for the PS4. Would rather get it for the Switch. But I guess that means I'd have to buy a Switch.

Tyeforce

You have to push cancel (A or down) right as you're pushing L/R. The game will continue and prompt you as though you selected to continue, cancel out of the number of players prompt and you'll be able to select the other three modes in the multiplayer menu. If you time it perfectly, you won't actually separate P1's Joycon set (though there are times where it'll still work after you do, not too sure on those).

After I figured out the timing I've been able to trigger it perfectly every time. Been staging fusion matches with two dummy players so I can go up against the CPU.
I keep trying to do it exactly like that, but whenever I manage to get to the number of players screen, backing out of it doesn't enable the other mode...

Berordn

This game is so fucking hard

Does the JP demo have more content?

The JP demo is the same two modes (intentionally available, anyway), but it lets you pick the number of rounds in both.

I haven't actually thought to download it after discovering the NA version's glitch so I'm not sure if there's potentially more there or if the normally locked modes have more options.

The JP demo is the same two modes (intentionally available, anyway), but it lets you pick the number of rounds in both.

I haven't actually thought to download it after discovering the NA version's glitch so I'm not sure if there's potentially more there or if the normally locked modes have more options.
Thanks, what's the NA glitch? :)
If you want easier opponents, pick the characters near the top. The characters get tougher as you go towards the bottom.
Thank you! Getting my ass kicked. Feels like they're giving me sooo many garbage puyos and blocks :p

Soooo hyped for this. It's my first Puyo game, and learning to set up chains is feeling really tricky and difficult right now. GTR, Sandwich, and Harassment is totally beyond me too.

Guess I'll keep practicing.

Soooo hyped for this. It's my first Puyo game, and learning to set up chains is feeling really tricky and difficult right now. GTR, Sandwich, and Harassment is totally beyond me too.

Guess I'll keep practicing.

Patterns are just tried and true methodologies for making chains; what's important in the overall picture is developing a "chain sense" for how puyos connect. Like learning a formula in math vs why the formula actually works.

Berordn

Patterns are just tried and true methodologies for making chains; what's important in the overall picture is developing a "chain sense" for how puyos connect. Like learning a formula in math vs why the formula actually works.

Yeah, it's better to just get a feel for blocking at first since it gets you in the right mindset. They may be sloppy, but you'll start seeing patters as they set up.

Not that I'm very good at any of them myself...

S2

Is playing Tetris against Zed a recipe for sure defeat? My brother was observing what was happening in Zed's field and apparently whenever I hit him with Tetrises, the garbage blocks more often then not have a slot where an I-block can fit, and he almost always gets an I-block immediately after he gets hit with a Tetris.

I played against Jay and Elle (are they supposed to be harder?) and just steamrollered them easily, but I can't beat Zed no matter how well or aggressively I play.
The CPUs are probably better at downstacking than you, so that's why it feels hard. (Downstacking is when you focus on clearing the gray garbage lines to prolong survival. You have to think ahead many pieces to do this efficiently. The AI is pretty good at this, even if they are slow). The solution is to play faster or abuse something with higher DPS or damage per line like t-spins, perfect clears, and combos.

My god I am so bad. I watched all the tutorials and still can't win a single match. I wish there was a solo option so I had time to teach myself the basics better, but I guess that would defeat the purpose of it being a demo. The trash blocks ruin me every time.

I'll probably buy the full game and force myself to get better.
On top of the tutorials, try watching some pro-play videos. Maybe something will click.

Supposedly the story mode sort of functions as a tutorial in some ways because it teaches you how to play properly.

I wouldn't stress losing too much based off the demo.
Hm well... in a way, it forces you to learn how to play properly lol. If you die enough times on a stage, the game will let you skip it. But you can't skip the end of chapter bosses. It seems a lot of people with the JP ver struggle to pass the Tetris boss stage in Chapter 3.

Does the final game have just a solo Tetris/Puyo Puyo mode? Where I can sort of go for a high score type deal?
Yes. You can.

While I'm quoting this, I want to add something in relation to the high score stuff mentioned previously by sixfortyfive in this thread. We forgot to mention that Tetris and Puyo Puyo have been pretty much solved in terms of getting a high score in endless mode. You can max out the score pretty easily in Puyo Puyo if you're patient enough to do 1 Chains for five hours. As for Tetris, Tetris players have proven that stacking setups like ST Stacking and the Infinite T Spin Triple produce the highest score per line.

There's definitely value in training yourself to spam these setups as fast as possible to optimize your score, but seeing as it can feel "solved," many players prefer to focus on VS play instead.

Oh yeah, and contrary to the popular belief that you will always lose in Tetris, there's solutions to play forever in modern Tetris games as long as certain conditions are met (e.g. 7 bag randomizer, at least 3 previews, Hold mechanic): https://harddrop.com/wiki/Playing_forever

MouldyK

After 30-50 attempts VS Rulue:

17917930_10207512189357014_4961959020934377064_o.jpg

I told myself last night I wouldn't even consider buying the game if I couldn't beat her...now I have!

Seik

Banned
Is the Puyo/Tetris balance pretty good?

For example, each time I play Tetris against a Puyo CPU I get wrecked, but when I play Puyo against a Tetris CPU I beat it.

I know I'm legit better at Puyo than Tetris, but still, makes me wonder.

shiyrley

Banned
I can't waittttttttttttttt

I'm "good" at Tetris (as in I could get like 300 lines in Tetris DS infinite mode years ago) but this is my first time playing Puyo. It will be interesting.

I think I haven't lost one single round against the CPU playing Tetris, but playing Puyo I always lose

Tyeforce

For example, each time I play Tetris against a Puyo CPU I get wrecked, but when I play Puyo against a Tetris CPU I beat it.

I'm, like, the opposite. I'm pretty decent in Tetris, but I'm new to Puyo Puyo, and I just can't wrap my head around making chains... How do people do it?! lol

Evilmaus

Had a very brief go at the demo. Seems incredibly well made and is a fantastic concept that I'm certain will provide hundreds of hours of challenge and entertainment to thousands of people.

These kinds of puzzle games just aren't for me though.

So bitter Sega didn't localize the Vita version.

Will still pick this up though as it seems pretty fun from what I have seen. Enjoy it on the go folks!

japtor

I've been playing 1 vs 3 Tetris against the CPU for a while and that wasn't hard enough. Never thought to try against Puyo until yesterday when I remembered how much garbage Puyo can send over, then got wrecked vs 3 Puyo. Switched it up to 2 Puyo + 1 Tetris and that went better, although I changed my play a bit too. I'll try 3 Puyo again soon.

Lucario

I play against a Puyo player, and a tiny combo from them can almost entirely negate a double tetris from me. It seems pretty lopsided, but I'm admittedly not great at either game.

Berordn

The secret to doing well in tetris is making big, consistent combos. A double or even a Tetris by itself isn't going to do anything of note, but a T-Spin Double followed by a T-Spin Triple is enough to dump a ton of garbage on the puyo player. Tetris also has the benefit of being able to dig out of garbage much easier, and even incorporate it into another combo, whereas harassing a Puyo player might ruin their whole game.

As an example, here's a decently balanced Puyo v. Tetris match I saw earlier.

Basically if you're playing Tetris vs. the same way you're playing score attack Tetris, you're going to get creamed.

Brunire

The secret to doing well in tetris is making big, consistent combos. A double or even a Tetris by itself isn't going to do anything of note, but a T-Spin Double followed by a T-Spin Triple is enough to dump a ton of garbage on the puyo player. Tetris also has the benefit of being able to dig out of garbage much easier, and even incorporate it into another combo, whereas harassing a Puyo player might ruin their whole game.

As an example, here's a decently balanced Puyo v. Tetris match I saw earlier.

Basically if you're playing Tetris vs. the same way you're playing score attack Tetris, you're going to get creamed.

WELP. I'm screwed.

If you're in NYC, you can purchase a copy now. Just bought it for the Switch. They also have PS4 copies as well for those interested.

Took a few screenshots:

Right from the title screen, you can choose between Puyo against CPU, Fusion against CPU and Tetris Marathon. Handy if all you want to do is jump in for a quick round.

There seems to be a ton of modes to play. Not to mention hours upon hours with online. Infinite replay value for sure!

I've always been a Tetris player but know the very basics. I know nothing about Puyo but I'll definitely do these lessons to become familiar.

For those that enjoy achievements, there are 42 of them. You see them in the Stats menu. They are divided into General, Puyo and Tetris. They range from performing a 5 combo to popping 50,000 puyos.

I'll try my best to answer any questions.

Top Bottom