• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The World Ends With You 10th Anniversary

Fisico

What a fucking amazing twist

you were a girl all along who wished she interacted with more boys and hence Neku was born out of her concision

W-Wait what?

It's the kind of mid tier handheld game with low budget we don't see from Square-Enix as much as before, not like it's their fault mind, market has evolved and it just became harder to release full price retail titles like TWEWY nowadays,

Now it's mid-tier with AA budget like Nier that they're aiming for, if Nomura push hard enough at Square Enix it might still happen but I wouldn't hold my breath, we do have Octopath incoming, Seiken Densetsu collection sold pretty decently, if Lost Sphear perform well that might pave the way to more lowest profiles Square-Enix titles on Switch/PS4.

And, well, Drakengard and Star Ocean got a chance not so long ago (although I'm not sure if many were satisfied with how they turned out in the end) and the same could be said about Saga on Vita.
So yeah it's more about good will from Square-Enix than anything else.

Still best DS game by the way :p

Next year is Sigma Harmonics' 10th anniversary too, I don't think we'll got a topic on gaf though ahah.

Kinokou

I never played the original so I guess I'll just Switch port beg as I always did want to play it but never came around to it.

I cannot believe nothing has come of that teaser yet. If they're not working on it, why put it in the game?

Plans change and if I remember rightly square had a big reshuffle since soloremix, and it probably got dropped at the same time.

Granted, I don't remember 100%, but thats my interpolation

Interpretation and boy that is so incredibly off mark with what happened in the game, I'm almost impressed?

Neku existed before the game started.
Joshua killed him to out him in the game because he was the most antisocial person he could find in shibuya. The while goal of Joshua was to take the worst person he could find and prove that they could change, so that therefore anyone could.

drabnon

Plans change and if I remember rightly square had a big reshuffle since soloremix, and it probably got dropped at the same time.

Interpretation and boy that is so incredibly off mark with what happened in the game, I'm almost impressed?

Neku existed before the game started.
Joshua killed him to out him in the game because he was the most antisocial person he could find in shibuya. The while goal of Joshua was to take the worst person he could find and prove that they could change, so that therefore anyone could.

Wait, wasn't that
Shade's plan? Joshua wanted to destroy Shibuya. Shades wanted to save it, so he challenged Joshua to a game and tried to implement his special pins to change people. Joshua sabotaged the game, but changed his mind about destroying Shibuya after seeing Neku change. I don't think it was his plan to prove that Neku could change, it just happened coincidentally and made him rethink his goals.

While hilarious, they weren't THAT far off the mark.

Shiki in-game actually took the form of her best friend Eri in the UG, because she was jealous of how much people liked her.

Wegelius

Neo Member
Man, the atmosphere and style of this game is so unique. Though I never really got into the combat, I always disregarded the top screen. If I played it today, I would try combat with both screen and see how it is.

ilium

I absolutely adored this game when it came out.
Sadly I've never completed it to this day, because my girlfriend at that time begged me to make her own save-file, which meant deleting mine. I thought it's cool, cause she had to promise to finish it so I could see the end anyway

A week or two later we broke up and I have no idea where my copy is

Edit: Thanks for spoilertags btw! One day I'll track down another copy and finally see the end, one day...

Hylian7

I've learned to expect nothing after that countdown and the KHDDD cameo led to nothing. I'm glad they are acknowledging the game's existence, but at the same time it only getting a thing in a Kingdom Hearts mobile game is like twisting the knife.

I think whatever was supposed to come of the girl and "New 7 days" was cancelled and they will never speak of it.

raven777

Well at least Nomura talked about TWEWY last year in famitsu interview... although he was very skeptical of sequel happening.

Permanently A

another remix version of twister for KHuX Neku medal
Twister - Union x MIX

5b1yUG6.gif

Yes, most RPGs come with character development.

Unfortunately that statement is not nearly as accurate as it should be.

Anyway, this is definitely one of the games that have impacted my life the most. The only thing stopping me from replaying it is the single save file on the cart.

Man, the atmosphere and style of this game is so unique. Though I never really got into the combat, I always disregarded the top screen. If I played it today, I would try combat with both screen and see how it is.

The way I remember playing it was to follow where the green puck goes since that gives an attack multiplier to the partner with the puck.

fester

Banned
Unfortunately that statement is not nearly as accurate as it should be.

Anyway, this is definitely one of the games that have impacted my life the most. The only thing stopping me from replaying it is the single save file on the cart.

Yeah, I was really hoping for more insight and less snark because I don't even fully agree with that statement. Plenty of games games start with an annoying cast of characters and barely develop them. Not going to waste my time with that...

Syril

Yeah, I was really hoping for more insight and less snark because I don't even fully agree with that statement. Plenty of games games start with an annoying cast of characters and barely develop them. Not going to waste my time with that...

To answer your question he actually does have real character development, and it actually does a pretty good job keeping his interactions with other characters interesting throughout.

tauroxd

Most peaple are forgetting that we got the game 9 monts later than in Japan, so even if it's more than 9 years since we got to play it it is not 10 years. I found funny all the post saying 10 years? WOW! Hahaha but, well, 9 years it is already a very long time.

I remeber reading many praises for the game in reviews, the one that sold me was from IGN, they were so in love with the game that I just had to buy it and OH BOY I was in love with it from minute 1!

I really don't get how people keep saying that they neglected the top screen in battles, fighting with but characters at the same time WAS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE BATTEL SYSTEM! I mean, sure, you had to get use to it and let it click, but that didn't take that long.

Anyway, I loved every single thing about the game and got obssesed with it for more than 2 years and everytime I remeber that we do not got a sequel it brakes my heart, so this thread it is bittersweet, it makes me so happy and nostalgic to remember all the good times I enjoyed playing the game but no sequel :(

SoulUnison

Banned
I picked this up because "Hey, I like Square and I like Nomura!"

I wasn't prepared.

Literally could not put the game down from the end of the "first day" straight through to the credits.
It's twist after twist after mindblowing twist with an amazing soundtrack and a one-of-a-kind battle system, and the twists aren't even just narrative, but gameplay, meta, and even interface.

Neku is Squall Leonheart done right.

I'm still sore about that "New 7 Days" tease that became vaporware.

Hopefully Sora keeps his promise and we meet up with the TWEWY crew in Shibiya in Kingdom Hearts III.

One of the most forward thinking, elegantly designed RPGs I've ever played. So content rich and poignant in its themes. Such a fully realized game. LIke, very few games are such a perfect blend of fully realized narrative direction tying into the actual game mechanics.

This game goes in the halls of history with Radiant Historia, Chrono Trigger and Xenoblade Chronicles

https://mic.com/articles/182964/the...-is-still-an-incredible-experience#.Bxi89BBnq

This game is still an incredible thing. The aesthetic, how they tie it into the game design, which ties into the writing, which then ties back into the aesthetic... it's a miracle they pulled it off, but bringing every aspect of the game back to Shibuya street culture and the game's themes of redemption, resurrection and standing out from the crowd does the job. The combat is crazy interesting and makes it one of those brilliant DS games that literally can't exist anywhere else (sorry, iOS version, you tried), and the scaleable difficulty levels (you can drop Neku back down to any previous level!) is still insanely ahead of its time.

Being a handheld game means the general consensus won't ever catch up, but this is easily one of Square's finest. Shame we never got a sequel to follow up on the promise of the special reports.

YES.

I picked this up because "Hey, I like Square and I like Nomura!"

I wasn't prepared.

Literally could not put the game down from the end of the "first day" straight through to the credits.
It's twist after twist after mindblowing twist with an amazing soundtrack and a one-of-a-kind battle system, and the twists aren't even just narrative, but gameplay, meta, and even interface.

Neku is Squall Leonheart done right.

I'm still sore about that "New 7 Days" tease that became vaporware.

Hopefully Sora keeps his promise and we meet up with the TWEWY crew in Shibiya in Kingdom Hearts III.

I couldnt put it down after the credits cause there's so much shit to do even after ( the game has the best epilogue I've ever played lol)

The top screen is actually a rhythm game that requires you to execute like its a fighting game.

Think of your lower screen moves being your move loadouts that need to match the rhythm of what you have going on the top screen. Certain moves chain well with the puck, others dont, So you have to build your deck and figure out what you can pull off and what you cant versus the types of moves that go well together. I had fun trying to figure out which pins I could stick so I could voice ones, scratch ones, and tap all at the same time lol

It's the other way round. Some terrible character designs (particularly main guy), but great music. One of the few times I didn't mind J-Pop.

Oh you.

Your opinions are always hilarious to read

Zakalwe

Banned
I played both the original and solo remix. I actually preferred SR simply because it was more relaxing to play/easier to play on the go, but both versions are fantastic.

Really unique and surprisingly soulful JRPG. One of my favourites.

W-Wait what?

It's the kind of mid tier handheld game with low budget we don't see from Square-Enix as much as before, not like it's their fault mind, market has evolved and it just became harder to release full price retail titles like TWEWY nowadays,

Now it's mid-tier with AA budget like Nier that they're aiming for, if Nomura push hard enough at Square Enix it might still happen but I wouldn't hold my breath, we do have Octopath incoming, Seiken Densetsu collection sold pretty decently, if Lost Sphear perform well that might pave the way to more lowest profiles Square-Enix titles on Switch/PS4.

And, well, Drakengard and Star Ocean got a chance not so long ago (although I'm not sure if many were satisfied with how they turned out in the end) and the same could be said about Saga on Vita.
So yeah it's more about good will from Square-Enix than anything else.

Still best DS game by the way :p

Next year is Sigma Harmonics' 10th anniversary too, I don't think we'll got a topic on gaf though ahah.

I dont think the market has anything to do with it.

The talent behind these games have just been busy AF.

I blame FF14 for Twewy 2 never happening, that and Nomura being so busy with everything lol

Twewy will always be such an important game to me since it demonstrates just how unique video games can be at conveying narrative elements and engage the player

Can't believe it's been 10 years since one of the most inventive and original games ever made was released. I couldn't even begin to describe how much that game blew my mind the first time I played it. I think we're better off not getting a sequel, because there's no way Square could make a game like that again.

Does anyone known if the iOS port works on an iPhone 7 and iOS10? Would love to play it again but don't want to spend $18 just to find out I won't be able to.

Can't believe it's been 10 years since one of the most inventive and original games ever made was released. I couldn't even begin to describe how much that game blew my mind the first time I played it. I think we're better off not getting a sequel, because there's no way Square could make a game like that again.

Does anyone known if the iOS port works on an iPhone 7 and iOS10? Would love to play it again but don't want to spend $18 just to find out I won't be able to.

Its the Chrono Trigger of the DS imo.

Top Bottom