• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

France sales update: PS4 2.15 million, Wii U 742K, Xbox One 715K

Nintendo has a decent following in Europe. The Wii U obviously appeals to some of that following but it of course does not have the mass appeal.

Its just the fate of Nintendo. They either go big and win or they languish and get by

As a whole Europe is the weakest region for WiiU. Barely ahead of Japan in total shipments and we are talking about way bigger total market.

MilesTeg

Banned
I actually thought Wii U sales would be higher because France is one of Nintendo's best markets.

I wonder what the PS4 vs XB1 gap will be at the end of the generation?

Its an unpopular console worldwide. You can look at every market and sales will most likely be lower than past Nintendo consoles.

I think the gap will be at least 3-1 worldwide, possibly more. I expect PS4 to sell well for a few years after PS5 releases. In comparison, I expect Xbox One sales to fall off a cliff the moment MS next box releases. So in the end it could be a real blowout win ala PS2.

Alo0oy

Banned
As a whole Europe is the weakest region for WiiU. Barely ahead of Japan in total shipments and we are talking about way bigger total market.

In terms of software Nintendo is doing relatively well in Germany and France, those two markets in particular love Japanese games.

Nintendos Q2 report (latest)

Wii U hardware:

Japan: 2.66 million
The Americas: 5.21 million
Others: 2.87 million

In terms of software Nintendo is doing relatively well in Germany and France, those two markets in particular love Japanese games.

Well of course there are some bright spots but as a whole the region is weakest for Nintendo (especially as you compare the total market sizes of the regions). We have basically gone back to the pre Wii era where Europe was the hardest region for Nintendo.

slapnuts

The joke is no different with Xbox One.

Edit: Actually if anything was a disaster from launch it was the Xbox One, from their early vision to grouping countries in tiers.
Nintendo had no such backlash.

Yeah, totally baffled how MS dropped the ball so hardcore with all its R&D on product, marketing,etc... i am some what blown away by it still. And the icing on the cake was putting countries into "tiers" ...That is a big slap in the face of many countries imho..it's like saying these 2nd tier countries are like say "Third World Countries" ..that is the kind of nasty taste i get from it as i am sure others feel the same. I am a proud American but shit..that is some bogus ass shit, imho.

Loudninja

What you said has nothing to do with my want for competitive sales.

Nintendo didn't rest on its laurels because it sold well. It rested on its laurels because they actually had and continue to show that they have nothing aside from one good idea every three years.

The other two are releasing great exclusives yearly.

I still dont get it.

viHuGi

Banned
The PS4 train can't be stop, 2016 will be worst for Microsoft, they need to stop their US/UK only market thing.

No, XBox One will sell better this year than 2015, the problem is Ps4 is going to absolutely kill it this year in sales, that thing is going 299e by e3, 20m sales this year is a lock with 56m total by year's end.

Elandyll

Banned
No, XBox One will sell better this year than 2015, the problem is Ps4 is going to absolutely kill it this year in sales, that thing is going 299e by e3, 20m sales this year is a lock with 56m total by year's end.
I actually think 2015 was the peak for XB1, while the PS4 will likely peak in either 2016 or 2017.
That is unless there are some shake ups.
Afaik there is nothing is 2016 that would make it a bigger year for the XB1 than 2015, quite the countrary (specially considering the market, not being in a bubble).

Ryng_tolu

Banned
I thought 2015 was gonna be te peak year For XB1 too.
But now i have My doubt.

Back in January 2015 ( then i changed my predictions a lot of time ) i predicted XB1 to sell ~4.8 million in 2015 in USA. I expected better sales during the summer ( withouth March and September, because For obvius reason those were strong months For XB1 ) but a smaller holidays. In the end, withouth March XB1 was Always up YOY, and a important thing is that i did not expect Halo 5 to flop. But even so, XB1 still sold better than i expect.

Actually, i'm surprised that XB1 withouth even with a competitive PS4 At the same price has sold more than last year with a 80/50€ more expensive PS4. This really mean that XB1 can still be strong.

All Will depend on the line up of this year. And For line up, i don't mean exclusives, because seriusly, if People still don't get that now the exclusives are not the main reason for sell a console, i don't even know what say...

There are good chance For see games Like Battlefield 5, Watch Dogs 2, Destiny 2, and of Course another COD this holidays.

I think Destiny 2 and Watch Dogs 2 Are pretty confirmed gonna be a Marketing exclusive for PS4.
Battlefield 5 will most likely be a exclusive Marketing for XB1, because we all know The partnership with EA / MS ( but not confirmed, See Battlefront ).
Now, The last COD... Huum, This is hard to guess. Yes, last time was a Sony thing, but we can't ignore the 7 years before that.

Imo, Call of Duty Marketing will be a important thing for PS4 / XB1 Performance.

If COD back to Microsoft: XB1 will almost for Sure be up YOY this year.
If COD remain on Sony console: XB1 will probabily be flat YOY.

Same with PS4, with COD Marketing the YOY increase will be much bigger, withouth that, the YOY increase should be nothing of crazy.

Also, we Need to analys much other things like Price drop, slim model, VR Performance ecc...

Well, i will end with my predictions as for 22 January 2016, i believe both PS4 ans XB1 will be up YOY. Both by a small margin ( like 5-10%) because 2015 was a strong year too.

And i also believe 2016 will be the last gold year for This generation. 2017 / 2018 are gonna be boring, imo, and 2019 Are the year of The New console.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
In 2016 PS4 has fabulous exclusive games and the PSVR. You can't stop that train

Abdiel

But now i have My doubt.

Back in January 2015 ( then i changed my predictions a lot of time ) i predicted XB1 to sell ~4.8 million in 2015 in USA. I expected better sales during the summer ( withouth March and September, because For obvius reason those were strong months For XB1 ) but a smaller holidays. In the end, withouth March XB1 was Always up YOY, and a important thing is that i did not expect Halo 5 to flop. But even so, XB1 still sold better than i expect.

Actually, i'm surprised that XB1 withouth even with a competitive PS4 At the same price has sold more than last year with a 80/50€ more expensive PS4. This really mean that XB1 can still be strong.

All Will depend on the line up of this year. And For line up, i don't mean exclusives, because seriusly, if People still don't get that now the exclusives are not the main reason for sell a console, i don't even know what say...

There are good chance For see games Like Battlefield 5, Watch Dogs 2, Destiny 2, and of Course another COD this holidays.

I think Destiny 2 and Watch Dogs 2 Are pretty confirmed gonna be a Marketing exclusive for PS4.
Battlefield 5 will most likely be a exclusive Marketing for XB1, because we all know The partnership with EA / MS ( but not confirmed, See Battlefront ).
Now, The last COD... Huum, This is hard to guess. Yes, last time was a Sony thing, but we can't ignore the 7 years before that.

Imo, Call of Duty Marketing will be a important thing for PS4 / XB1 Performance.

Same with PS4, with COD Marketing the YOY increase will be much bigger, withouth that, the YOY increase should be nothing of crazy.

Also, we Need to analys much other things like Price drop, slim model, VR Performance ecc...

Well, i will end with my predictions as for 22 January 2016, i believe both PS4 ans XB1 will be up YOY. Both by a small margin ( like 5-10%) because 2015 was a strong year too.

And i also believe 2016 will be the last gold year for This generation. 2017 / 2018 are gonna be boring, imo, and 2019 Are the
year of The New console.

I'm pretty sure they said that CoD marketing was moving to ps4 for the foreseeable future. Didn't they showcase that new e sports league in conjunction with Sony?

That's pretty solid for not having any doubts.

But now i have My doubt.

And i also believe 2016 will be the last gold year for This generation. 2017 / 2018 are gonna be boring, imo, and 2019 Are the year of The New console.

Considering how PS4 continues to extend its lead over Xbox One worldwide and how with Europe PS4 is by rather big margin the best selling platform for COD I think it would be pretty damn hard for MS to bring COD marketing rights back to Xbox especially as after this successful holiday season I don't think Sony would let go of COD that easily and they have much better bargaining position compared to MS.

Steroyd

What you said has nothing to do with my want for competitive sales.

Nintendo didn't rest on its laurels because it sold well. It rested on its laurels because they actually had and continue to show that they have nothing aside from one good idea every three years.

The other two are releasing great exclusives yearly.

I don't get it, Sony should have been murdered with having a $200+ PS3 that's been out on the market for 8 years, but they got away with it because MS did almost bugger all to be competitive, plus MS's output waned near the end of the console's life to, MS is doing better now Because they're getting beat by the PS4 by a significant margin.

But what's the other 15M from?
Any xbone install base number is purely conjecture. We have numbers for the US, German, French markets. A ceiling on their UK numbers. Added up those don't get you anywhere near 18 million. But for some reason people like to believe that xbone RotW sales are bigger than their known EU sales number which is really ludicrous when you think about it.

Probably best not to think about the xbone sales because it is likely MS never release any sales data for it because the product is an absolute disaster for them. I think they will be lucky to hit 40 million sold because I can see Nintendo gobbling up their marketshare with the NX. If NX hardware is not that far behind current generation hardware, and MS continues to fail at differentiating its software from PS4, then you've got a situation where people get a PS4 for Madden/CoD and/or an NX for Mario with xbone being left out in the cold.

But now i have My doubt.

Phil Spencer said that MS will do less 3rd party deals and focus on their 1st Party games.

openrob

Xboned.

The Wii U actually selling more is something else.

I keep saying this but everyone calls me crazy; outside of US, Wii U is doing very respectably, relative to the XB1.

Just annoying when everyone calls Wii U a flop, but XB1 not even barely considered one.
Smashing it in Japan (doesn't actually mean much though lol) and doing well in Europe outside of UK.

Raist

Banned
Just annoying when everyone calls Wii U a flop, but XB1 not even barely considered one.
Smashing it in Japan (doesn't actually mean much though lol) and doing well in Europe outside of UK.

You have this backwards. The XB1 is doing as terrible as the WiiU (outside the US/UK for the former).

bak4fun

Unconfirmed Member
I don't see it anywhere in the thread but it doesn't seem to be for the whole of 2015. The article says that the number are not including the last weeks of december.

ethomaz

Banned
I keep saying this but everyone calls me crazy; outside of US, Wii U is doing very respectably, relative to the XB1.

Xbone is a huge flop outside US & UK... way down compared with 360.

US and UK are holding it to be a flop WW.

Shin-chan

This is pretty important, thanks for this.

As long as last years numbers also skipped the last two weeks, it doesn't really matter. Do we know if this is the case or not? I can't see why the tracker would leave them out this year but not the previous year.

openrob

You have this backwards. The XB1 is doing as terrible as the WiiU (outside the US/UK for the former).

Oh I know, but no one bangs on about it like the Wii U. And that if one is considered to be doing OK, then surely the other one can't be considered a 'total failure', even if it doing badly

ethomaz

Banned
As long as last years numbers also skipped the last two weeks, it doesn't really matter. Do we know if this is the case or not? I can't see why the tracker would leave them out this year but not the previous year.
I don't see big difference if they skipped 2 weeks this year... it will be less than 50k diff for PS4 I guess and less for the others.

big_z

it'll be interesting to see what happens at e3 this year. I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft gets very aggressive and drops the price by $100-$150, with a few games bundled in. This is of course providing the cost reduced revision of the xbone is ready by then.

bak4fun

Unconfirmed Member
I don't see big difference if they skipped 2 weeks this year... it will be less than 50k diff for PS4 I guess and less for the others.

It's not a huge difference, even if the week just before Christmas is probably the biggest of the year for console sales. It's just nice to have all the info for non french speakers.

Raist

Banned
The article says "does not include the last weeks" so it's at least 2 but could be more I guess.
Although they say it's preliminary data, so I guess it will be updated at some point. To be honest I thought the 1M for PS4 seemed like a bit of an estimate.

Death2494

But now i have My doubt.

Please let us not sleep on Microsofts exclusive marketing rights for the Division. This game has a chance to be very big and could definitely move units. It is coming early this year (Ala dying light) and has no direct competition. It will almost certainly poach those from the destiny crowd who are looking for something new to play. Also the success of Rainbow Six has generated some positive will towards Ubisoft from the consumers. Microsoft will almost definitely have a bundle for this game. This game could very well do for XB1 what watch dogs did for PS4. We have conclusive evidence of the power of 3rd party marketing deals. I just feel like this is something that is being overlooked. I just want you to add this in your analysis for the year for XB1.

Abdiel

Please let us not sleep on Microsofts exclusive marketing rights for the Division. This game has a chance to be very big and could definitely move units. It is coming early this year (Ala dying light) and has no direct competition. It will almost certainly poach those from the destiny crowd who are looking for something new to play. Also the success of Rainbow Six has generated some positive will towards Ubisoft from the consumers. Microsoft will almost definitely have a bundle for this game. This game could very well do for XB1 what watch dogs did for PS4. We have conclusive evidence of the power of 3rd party marketing deals. I just feel like this is something that is being overlooked. I just want you to add this in your analysis for the year for XB1.

The XB1 bundle is $399, though, and has almost no preorders in my entire district. The game is getting some growing buzz, and I have to wonder if the beta next week is what will create a more positive impression. Currently, preorders are not favoring the XB1 with any kind of lean. Doing decently in numbers at the moment, and I have a copy preordered, but a lot of the people I've heard asking about it are waiting to hear more direct insight from people in their group of friends, or as you said, their Destiny group.

Marlenus

If fallout 4 cannot move the needle for Xbox then I doubt a new IP will.

Death2494

The XB1 bundle is $399, though, and has almost no preorders in my entire district. The game is getting some growing buzz, and I have to wonder if the beta next week is what will create a more positive impression. Currently, preorders are not favoring the XB1 with any kind of lean. Doing decently in numbers at the moment, and I have a copy preordered, but a lot of the people I've heard asking about it are waiting to hear more direct insight from people in their group of friends, or as you said, their Destiny group.

Yea that's is why I mentioned dying light. Most analyst concluded that Dying light's release window greatly attributed to it's success sales-wise. Xbox one has a large Destiny community also. Ouch on that price though. I think the market has spoken on how much the "average" consumer is willing to pay for a XB1. That is a shame. Thanks for that crucial piece of information. I hope they market it well.

Any Cuphead preorders? I have an "Ori" feeling about that game. Definitely wish it comes to PS4.

Death2494

If fallout 4 cannot move the needle for Xbox then I doubt a new IP will.
Unlike Fallout 4, there is no COD or Star Wars to compete with. There are not any other AAA titles that are going to canibalize it's sales. I don't think I'm wrong but from what Abdiel just relayed Microsoft's concern is more about profit right than increasing market share. If The Division is marketed right now then they have a chance to achieve both. Also, I'm only referring to the American market (NPD).

Abdiel

Yea that's is why I mentioned dying light. Most analyst concluded that Dying light's release window greatly attributed to it's success sales-wise. Xbox one has a large Destiny community also. Ouch on that price though. I think the market has spoken on how much the "average" consumer is willing to pay for a XB1. That is a shame. Thanks for that crucial piece of information. I hope they market it well.

Any Cuphead preorders? I have an "Ori" feeling about that game. Definitely wish it comes to PS4.

Um... I don't think Cuphead is getting a retail release, at least at first? I know it's not listed on our preorder list at all for retail releases through our site.

Here's the XB1 List, if you're curious:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchp...mcat303600050005&type=page&usc=All Categories

48 'listings' including special editions of same titles. It includes Quantum Break, Gears of War 4, Crackdown, ReCore, and Sea of Thieves for Exclusives available for preorder on the system.

ReCore and Sea of Thieves have basically zero presence yet in terms of our metrics. Gears is doing okay, I think it will pick up a lot more once we get more info on it, Crackdown is... eh, it was a decent franchise before, and the showing was impressive/splashy, so they need to market it well to get some notoriety and bring in new eyes to it. Quantum is also doing okay, there's the people that loved Remedy's work before, and they were onboard from day 1, but others are still getting a feel for it and need to be sold, so they need to kick their marketing in.

The Division I don't expect to do anything for MS. It's going to be a huge multiplayer franchise if it does well, and that means that at this point, the market is already being divvied up here in the US neatly, and everywhere else the lion's share will go PS4, so it'll have a bigger player base on that side, as always. The bundle is overpriced, it doesn't have anything special going for it.

(shrug)

Dunno.

Top Bottom