• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 doesn't ask me for more money.

Zemm

Is it asking you for money or putting amiibo features in your face?

If the battery on your controller is low there's a few menus (multiplayer lobby and equipment for sure) that gives an annoying pop-up about not being able to scan amiibos.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I always saw the Amiibo unlock as "rewards" for the hardcore fans that are willing to buy the figure. I really dont know a single person that did get an Amiibo just because of what they unlock in a game.

Though i will agree that having the Wolf in BotW locked behind the Amiibo sucks...but then again this was a way for them to reward the hardcore fans that bought TP on WiiU and the Amiibo.

So its a case by case situation - depending on your definition it can be considered as DLC. But its def. not comparable to Loot/Gacha systems, where you can and will always pay if you wanna have everything.

The fact that amiibo double as figurines or toys or what have you does not negate that there is content locked behind the paywall of purchasing those items, aka DLC.

DLC is included in Splatoon 2, it's just cleverly included in a way where you feel like you're not paying for DLC... but you are. Let's not argue semantics.

What if I am buying Amiibo regardless of the DLC they give, as I like them as figurines?

All DLC to me feels like a bonus, almost like a thank you because I was going to buy the Amiibo anyway. Maybe this isn't a common case though?

I wonder how many people are ACTUALLY buying the Cloud or Bayonetta Amiibo right now so that they can use them as a CPU partner in Smash? I'm willing to bet most are just collectors or getting them because of the characters that they are, but what do I know.

The content exists only to justify the figure, for some people it's in reverse though.

But the content still exists. Whether or not it exists to justify the figure or vice versa, there are swathes of cosmetic and gameplay DLC locked behind amiibos exclusively.

As an example, I really want the Ocarina of Time costume in Breath of the Wild. I can only get that costume I have no choice but to buy the Ocarina of Time Link Amiibo, which in most territories is near impossible to find now from anyone but scalpers. That DLC is cool and optional, but it's locked behind a £14 figure that Nintendo has refused to supply in sufficient numbers, irrespective of the mindboggling fact the costume is exclusively locked behind the purchase of an expensive figurine to begin with.

I don't know how this is acceptable, but in the same breadth other developers will get criticised for entirely optional microtransactions which most of the time, don't even require real money to purchase. It's hypocrisy.

What if I am buying Amiibo regardless of the DLC they give, as I like them as figurines?

All DLC to me feels like a bonus, almost like a thank you because I was going to buy the Amiibo anyway. Maybe this isn't a common case though?

I wonder how many people are ACTUALLY buying the Cloud or Bayonetta Amiibo right now so that they can use them as a CPU partner in Smash? I'm willing to bet most are just collectors or getting them because of the characters that they are, but what do I know.

Your personal intentions in buying Amiibo are nothing more than anecdotal. Objectively speaking, when you look at it next to other DLC models in the AAA market, it's one of the most expensive. Especially seeing as I sincerely doubt everyone feels the same way you do.

oh so i guess you're somehow playing splatoon 2 without a switch? or a tv?! or the internet??! or without electrify or a building of somekind?! what about friends huh? i guess you're one of those guys that doesn't have to pay people just to play a game with you hmmm?

TB12

Banned
oh so i guess you're somehow playing splatoon 2 without a switch? or a tv?! or the internet??! or without electrify or a building of somekind?! what about friends huh? i guess you're one of those guys that doesn't have to pay people just to play a game with you hmmm?

Huh? What do you mean with "pay people to play game with you?"

Huh? What do you mean with "pay people to play game with you?"

Pretty sure it's a reference to:

0Fd01O1l.jpg

Royce McCutcheon

Amiibo's are more like the double exp you get from mountain dew. Since you can't buy the content in game or the digital store, It's not a microtransaction

But the content still exists. Whether or not it exists to justify the figure or vice versa, there are swathes of cosmetic and gameplay DLC locked behind amiibos exclusively.

As an example, I really want the Ocarina of Time costume in Breath of the Wild. I can only get that costume I have no choice but to buy the Ocarina of Time Link Amiibo, which in most territories is near impossible to find now from anyone but scalpers. That DLC is cool and optional, but it's locked behind a £14 figure that Nintendo has refused to supply in sufficient numbers, irrespective of the mindboggling fact the costume is exclusively locked behind the purchase of an expensive figurine to begin with.

I don't know how this is acceptable, but in the same breadth other developers will get criticised for entirely optional microtransactions which most of the time, don't even require real money to purchase. It's hypocrisy.

Your personal intentions in buying Amiibo are nothing more than anecdotal. Objectively speaking, when you look at it next to other DLC models in the AAA market, it's one of the most expensive. Especially seeing as I sincerely doubt everyone feels the same way you do.

So you have no interest in the figure itself? Well why don't you just buy the figure and then sell it or give it away as a present? The former will get you your money back I'm sure.

Or you can borrow other people's. Four different people use my BotW Amiibo to get unlocks on their Zelda game. Not many DLC purchases out there let you do this. Don't forget that you are buying a physical item, whether it's only the content you are interested in or not.

As for the supply..yeah Nintendo messed up big time and they continue to do so.

TheYanger

This, and I doubt any of those cosmetic items would've existed without amiibo in the first place.

"I doubt any of those cosmetics would've been made if not for paid DLC"

literally the same argument.

There's no reason Nintendo couldn't offer this stuff as DLC AND as an amiibo, they like to go the amiibo route because the margins are higher on amiibos, and they can charge a premium because 'there's a physical toy too!' is something people actually believe is important for in-game content somehow.

Similarly, they like amiibo because they can throw some shitty trinket in a future game for having Link #13 and people will consider it a value add, it's just like a loss leader in a store, it makes people look at something differently when they've already sunk a cost into that ecosystem or product.

I love how all arguments against considering Amiibo as DLC basically end up as "LOL everyone mentioning amiibo, not the same" without much beyond that. It is the same shit, the fact that it comes with a figure doesn't change the part where you're spending money to unlock cosmetics (Or even non-cosmetics) in your game, and it makes it strictly a worse value proposition for those of us that don't want shitty little figures littering our houses.

Have you played BotW? amiibo Epona isn't the best horse in the game, you can find much better ones in the wild. And it isn't even the game's signature horse, you can find BotW Epona from the memories. Also, Kilton sells you a Lynel Mask for a few of his currency. That armor has the same stats all around and it's not made to help you "cheat" when you need Star Fragments to upgrade it. I agree that the Korok Mask, Travel Medallion and Hero's Path should've been free though. And about the dungeon, do you really want people not to be paid for 9 months of work?

Q: ]Have you played BotW? amiibo Epona isn't the best horse in the game, you can find much better ones in the wild. And it isn't even the game's signature horse, you can find BotW Epona from the memories.

A: Yes i have . "Epona is arguably best mount that can be registered in the game, but you won't find the iconic horse anywhere in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

You'll need to employ a special method using the Smash Bros. Series Link Amiibo"
http://www.ign.com/wikis/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild/Horses_and_Mounts

Epona
stats :Strength: 4 | Speed: 4 | Stamina: 4 | Temperament: Gentle

Gannon's
Strength: 5 | Speed: 2 | Stamina: - | Temperament: Wild

Zelda's
Strength: 4 | Speed: 3 | Stamina: 5 | Temperament: Wild

i am also aware of zelda's horse and gannon's horse , those are not the series's signature horse, epona was even in the botw promotions until the decided to cheese people for money. Epona has always been the series's signature horse.

Q: Also, Kilton sells you a Lynel Mask for a few of his currency
A: Wrong again, majora's actually works permanently on lynels , nothing in the base game does.

" I agree that the Korok Mask, Travel Medallion and Hero's Path should've been free though"
im glad

Q:" And about the dungeon, do you really want people not to be paid for 9 months of work?"
A: theyre supposed to be paid from the zelda's sales, im pretty they more than broke even, and youre missing the point , and skipping over a lot of them....im not against dlc at all whatsoever, im against it being locked behind a single season pass.
when people complained about durability , fans defended it by bringing up game balance and how the game was meant to be played, especially about master sword which has no business running out of juice every 10 hits, then nintendo casually gives you unlimited arrows and master sword locked behind a $33 paywall and people happily cobble it up.
If i want the 'actual' master sword , i need to pay $20 upfront regardless of whether i want to play that dlc 9 months later or not,if i want to ride epona i pay another $13, if i want a new pet mechanic in the game i pay another $13 and if i want unlimited arrows i pay another $13.Forget them patching this for free, they couldve at least put this as a $3 dlc instead of making me spend as much as a second copy of the game . There is no reason for them being locked behind toys and a season pass

They could ask $20 for just the dungeon if they think they deserve it, i have no problems with it, but its all this crap like the master sword and epona that im aggresively against.
its like capcom released a great street fighter but locked ryu and ken behind toys, and their use of hadoken behind the season pass.

Anyone with a shred of honestly will admit this would lead to internet riots had anyone other than nintendo done this.

What a bad comparison. If you are going to compare Street Fighter as an example then compare it to Smash Bros. All the Amiibo do there is become a CPU that you can level up and train. Zelda is a full 1 player adventure game that is completely playable without Amiibo.

The only example I can think of where people might be upset (not that anyone cares really) is Mario Party 10. A whole game mode was locked behind Amiibo, and there are only 3 modes anyway.

Can this mode be made to function without Amiibo? Would it work if you could use a controller to play instead? Yes, it 100% would. However, the way they've designed it is that in the game you literally do play as your amiibo (it's a figurine moving around) and you play holding your amiibo and activating it to do things like roll the dice. The game tries to make you feel like you are playing an actual board game.

That's where the real question comes in. Would this mode have even existed if Amiibo had not been a thing? Or was it made already and then they reskinned it for the use of Amiibo? We will never know this, but this is the same company that came out and said they started working on DLC after the game was made (Smash Bros).

Even on the worst use of Amiibo I can think of (as far as locking out content, it's like a third of the game) I am willing to bet it exists because of Amiibo being a thing and not vice versa. Could that time have been used to create a different mode? Maybe. The game is rushed as heck and is lacking content already but that's a whole another story. Even then I believe the game comes with one Amiibo, and that is enough to play the mode (the other players can get cardboard cut outs instead but have a limit or two)

Devil

I played for hours yesterday and never even saw that I am missing out on anything without an amiibo except for profile transfer which I don't need. I don't even know what it is that I'm missing.

So far I think Nintendo implemented amiibo content in a mostly very fair way in most of their games. I don't own a single amiibo and never felt locked out of anything just because I don't want to buy an expensive figurine. It's much better than many games with MTs imo.

Chauzu

I'm split on amiibo. On the one hand, the content you get from them is subpar. On the other hand, the content is locked behind a paywall. On the other hand, the content wouldn't exist without amiibo. On the other hand, they might as well sell the content digitally for cheap as well. On the other hand, this might give the impression Nintendo is going all in on microtransactions and GaS. On the other hand, current model can arguably be considered more scummy than other models.

Personally... There hasn't been a single amiibo feature I have felt made the full package lacking. The few amiibo I have when used have felt like a small fun bonus, rather than me getting access to paywalled content. As long as I feel I don't get scammed from content I should have access to as a buyer of the game, I don't feel it's worth for me to make a big deal out of it.

I don't know why people keep trying to act like amiibo are equivalent to DLC. amiibo I bought in 2014 are still unlocking stuff in 2017 games along with the bonus of being a tangible physical figurine. Let me know when that map pack you bought for COD: Advanced Warfare gets you something in COD: WWII.

How many things is a Lucas amiibo getting?

Well I'm not sure how it works in S2, but in the first game, yes there were a couple of outfits unlocked by Amiibo, but new weapons, gear and maps were rolled out to everyone.
This is getting embarrassing. I suggest people at least read and understand what the OP is about and not juat blindly defend Nintendo.

ksamedi

Its nice to have free things but it would also be nice to have expansions that are paid. I mean the base game will be updated for one year and then what exactly? What if Splatoon becomes a 15 million seller or sells very well even after one year and has an active community? Free updates doesnt make sense after a certain point.

21x2

Of course Amiibo exists and of course that's DLC, and whether or not that content would have been made without the existence of Amiibo is impossible to say.

That being said the game does not in any way bug you about buying them. You might even miss the spot in the plaza where you scan them in if you aren't actually looking for it.

The supposed intended use-case of an Amiibo is just nuts to me--it's one thing for a character like Mario when there are a bunch of Mario-related games, but what about Bayonetta or Megaman? Obviously some are going to have more uses than others, but having cosmetic (or functional) DLC be beholden to figures only available at a premium is, I think, a poor way to do DLC in general.

It's because it's not how Nintendo sees DLC. DLC is what you pay for in MK 8, Hyrule Warriors, Zelda... but for costumes I'd rather have them tied to a figure as a small reward for some enthusiasts who want to buy figurines.

No one is buying Amiibos solely for content tied to it.

I would like to buy DLC without having to buy a plastic figurine.

Is that option open to me?

You're ok to pay 1-2$ for an outfit? Crazy imo... but I guess they should do it since some people are ok. Make what is available with Amiibos as 1-2$ purchase. And then in a few years people will complain like some where justifying paying online and now everyone complain...

There's amiibo exclusive stuff. That's pretty much analogous to micro-transactions (actually, amiibo's are probably more expensive than a lot of micro-transactions, but I guess you get a little figure that you might not want, at least).

Downloadable content, not microtransactions.

Unless you're willing to suggest they can build a whole loot crate economy around amiibo

Epona
stats :Strength: 4 | Speed: 4 | Stamina: 4 | Temperament: Gentle

Gannon's
Strength: 5 | Speed: 2 | Stamina: - | Temperament: Wild

Zelda's
Strength: 4 | Speed: 3 | Stamina: 5 | Temperament: Wild

You are missing information: https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/189707-the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild/75209487
Wild Stamina horse:
stats :Strength: 4 | Speed: 4 | Stamina: 5 (Better than Epona)

Wild Speed horse:
stats :Strength: 2 | Speed: 5 | Stamina: 3 (Best speed in game, faster than Epona)

Wild Strenght horse:
stats :Strength: 5 | Speed: 3 | Stamina: 5 (But is a normal horse compared to the Giant)

Those are randomly found in the same pack as the Giant horse.

Yeah, a better example would be a game where all content is accessible to everyone without needing to spend any extra money (with free updates and ongoing support).

Of course this thread was going to have people jumping on Amiibo's! The title is literally "Splatoon 2 doesn't ask me for more money". The game has items that are solely intended for unlock... by paying more money. If you think it's no big deal that's fine, but it's really just a bad thread title asking to be called out for this.

Amazing few/nobody has brought up how if one person in your group owns a splatoon 1/2 amiibo his or her figure can unlock the content for everyone. Heck if nobody in your group is a hard core enough collector to buy them all but you're group really wants one of the amiibo costumes you can split the cost. This of course then compounds further as more games make use of these figures. Just using the splatoon 1 amiibo I've used them as unlocks in splatoon 1, mario maker, and splatoon 2 and I've had 4 different friends make use of them as well in at least 2 of the above games.

Edit: in the end amiibo are a lose lose pr nightmare

(Make them have tons of exclusive content)

WAAAAH WHY IS IT TIED TO AMIIBO?

(Make them just cool figures with no functionality)

WAAAAH WHY DOES MY AMIIBO NOT DO ANYTHINY?

Yes I understand half the room complaining about amiibo having content locked behind them is different from the half of the room crying amiibo don't do enough, but both sides could acknowledge the other exists.

13ruce

Banned
Really.

I mean. Wtf.
For a figure super cheap and the splatoon amiibo look pretty fantastic for their price.

Since the smash series amiibo quality improved alot so it's not like that price tag is huge or something.

They should however fix stock issue someway.

I But its def. not comparable to Loot/Gacha systems, where you can and will always pay if you wanna have everything.

Naw amiboos are a lot worse. I got every outfit I cared about in Overwatch without spending a dime with just casual play.

Unlike botw where I'd have to pay £15 - £300+ for a shitty tacky rare ass figure with no other way to get what the outfit or pet I wanted.

Dr. Buni

The game is plagued by content locked behind useless amiibos, that alone is huge for me. I would rather have DLC (you know, the kind of DLC you buy in online stores) than have content locked behind toys.

I can kind of see where the OP is coming from.

Given the trends of the modern gaming industry, I don't even view cosmetic DLC as that problematic. I mean, if they want to make a character look different and say 'hey, if you want to play as 60s Batman, that's some more money!' then I'm cool with it as long as it has 0% impact on gameplay.

Nintendo has done a pretty good job at marketing the amiibo as the money you pay is for the figure, then the in game stuff it can do is a bonus. And the Splatoon 2 stuff being cosmetic honestly doesn't bother me as much, just because AFAIK, its cosmetic only.

And Nintendo has somehow nailed just the general vibe of getting a complete package when I buy the game. I can't nail down why at the moment, but with Nintendo, I feel like I'm buying a game, and then could be more game later. With the other companies, they just seem to have trained me to expect that when I buy their stuff, I'm not buying a game, I'm buying a platform for them to sell me more stuff.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Naw amiboos are a lot worse. I got every outfit I cared about in Overwatch without spending a dime with just casual play.

Unlike botw where I'd have to pay £300+ for a shitty tacky rare ass figure with no other way to get what the outfit or pet I wanted.

Aren't there amiibo cards now?

OCD Guy

I like Nintendo, but the whole content locked behind Amiibo is bullshit.

Luckily most of the content is cosmetic, but what about when we get to a point where actually useful content starts being locked behind it, are people still going to be ok with it?

I wish that we had the option to buy any amiibo content within Nintendo games, surely that will increase their revenue no?

I refuse to believe that Amiibos sell because of the content they provide. In my opinion they sell because people like the figurines.

I guarantee they'd still be in demand even if they provided zero content in games.

For me personally they could offer 100 new tracks in Mario Kart 8 with each damn Amiibo and I still wouldn't buy them. I don't want glamourised McDonalds Toys. However give me an option to buy tracks and I'll gladly buy each and every one of them.

Top Bottom